Jump to content


Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Protect Your PC (once and for all)


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mugomowie

Mugomowie

    Jr. Necki

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • IGN:ignign


Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:28 AM

This is for computer security, not for computer maintenance and keeping it running faster.
Follow these easy steps to have a clean computer. These are all free to download and use as much as you like...

1. If you don't already have one, get a firewall like Sygate Personal Firewall
2. Get an antivirus like AVG Free
3. Get Ad-Aware SE
4. Get Spybot -Search and Destroy
5 a. To prevent spyware and the like, get Spywareblaster. After you update, there is nothing else you need to do with it, ever.
5 b. A second way of preventing it is by getting Spywareguard. No use required either.
6. Monitor your pc with ISP Monitor (optional).
7. If you still have virus problems (which is unlikely), scan with HiJackThis. And show your results to a knowledgeable computer nerd.
If you want, get rid of any unnecessary temporary files (cookies and the like). Sometimes they can have bad effects.

There you go. No filler, or unnecessary explanations.
Update each of them at least once a month (every week is recommended, but not necessarily needed). This may seem like way too much to handle, but it isn't really. Just scan with each of them about once a month, or whenever you feel something is wrong with your computer.
You have my personal guarantee nothing will get through to your computer (ie hackers or crooks) and screw it up. If you do these steps, you will be 99% secure. The other 1% is common sense.
There have been many topics like this, no doubt, but this one covers it all. It's the only topic you will need.
This would be a good topic to sticky.



Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Cirevam

Cirevam

    Wraith

  • Official Member
  • 524 posts
  • Location:Funkytown
  • IGN:CirevamS


Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:42 AM

Another thing to do would be to disable your Internet connection if you're not using it at the moment. Every time you connect to the Internet you run the risk of invasion. I don't know if that'll help much though.
Listen to Alan's Yak at Antpod where we explore the innermost workings of the teenage mind!

Train > Car

#3 Mugomowie

Mugomowie

    Jr. Necki

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • IGN:ignign


Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(Cirevam @ Feb 13 2007, 07:42 AM) View Post
Another thing to do would be to disable your Internet connection if you're not using it at the moment. Every time you connect to the Internet you run the risk of invasion. I don't know if that'll help much though.

Good point. I would add it to the topic post, but it's the first reply everyone will see.
But if you turn your computer off completely between uses, there's no reason you should have to worry either. But you can go either way.

Man I seem like just a big nerd. I swear I'm not! :p

#4 ForbiddenFruit

ForbiddenFruit

    I'm bored.

  • Mapletip Veterans
  • 3681 posts
  • Location:Heaven
  • IGN:GMlololol


Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:01 AM

This seems pretty useful. Thanks.
Posted Image

#5 Spoinky

Spoinky

    Pianus

  • Mapletip Veterans
  • 3856 posts
  • Location:Fish Tank
  • IGN:Scorwix


Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:58 PM

You should get Firewalls with auto updates.

I like your guide, but I already have everything on there and my computers safe.
I/L Mage Questions!

Trying to revive on MS

#6 Mugomowie

Mugomowie

    Jr. Necki

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • IGN:ignign


Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE(Bleezy @ Feb 13 2007, 10:58 AM) View Post
You should get Firewalls with auto updates.

I like your guide, but I already have everything on there and my computers safe.

Even though Sygate doesn't get updated anymore, it's one of the best firewalls there are, and it's free. To get really good ones that don't have some kind of trial period, you'd have to either pay money or pirate illegal software somehow.

I still think this topic should be stickied to the top of the page (I saw a few other topics that should be too) so people don't need to search for anything.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users