Assassin's Handbook

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Air Jordan

Air Jordan

Neverending Challenge

• Respected Member
  • 1012 posts
  • Location:On a highly insignificant planet revolving a highly insignificant sun.
  • IGN:Unknown

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:34 AM

Air Jordan's Complete Assassin Handbook

Table of Contents

I. Introduction
II. Assassin Builds
III. Skills and Reasoning
IIIx. Shot Techniques/Tricks
IV. Recommended Equipment per Level
V. "Do I need better stars?"
VI. 3rd Job Advance
VII. Hermit Builds
VIII. Hermit Skills
IX. Training Areas
X. Conclusion
XI. Credits

I. Introduction

Here, I am going to cover the Assassin class; you've got it, no Bandits, 1st class Rogues and what-not. I will cover the Assassin onward; which presumably leaves the Assassin and Hermit class. It will start you off after you've completed the second job advancement to the Assassin.

First off, I'd like to clear up some rumors and myths about the Assassin.

Facts:
- Long-ranged
- Stars become expensive
- Will do lots of damage at high levels
- Fastest leveling when funded
- Fastest attacks
- Able to KS easily
- One of the most overpowered classes
- One of the most, if not the most, populated class

Myths:
- Assassin will always level the fastest
- Assassins are the best class
- You will always hit insane amounts of damage

No, sorry to break it to you, but Assassins are not, in any shape or form, the definate fastest levelers in the game. Look at Clerics for instance. Stuck in the Subway for 12 hours straight, my friend leveled way faster than I did. However, it is true that when funded well, played right, and mostly at higher levels, the Assassin will level at a faster pace than most other classes.

Hey, KMS released level 110 claws, and like sins are now uber godly and love but that's ok because they chose to release it, so shouldn't we get at least our level 80 weapons like other classes??? I mean c'mon, just because our damage formula makes us about a billion times better than any other classes doesn't mean you nubs have to be jealous of our awesomeness, boo hoo bowmen have critical and still don't do our damage WELL THEY HAVE STRAFE CLOSE ENOUGH FAGGOTS AND DkS MIGHT NOT HAVE MOBILITY BUT THEY CAN OUTDAMAGE US WTF WIZET U JEALOUS AHOLES!!!

I mean now you're letting classes who don't have our mobility OUTDAMAGE us??? I don't want to have my strong and weak points, I want to have EVERYTHING! Hell, I want to be a....be a... A GM! YES, A GM!!! That'll be fair because sins own and anyone who disagrees is a jealous love! Wtf, we should also get an uber defensive ability, like meso guard only it doesn't waste mesos and it blocks ALL OUR DAMAGE!!! OH OH OH AWESOME IDEA HERE TOO-LET US SHOOT STARS SHORT DISTANCE, SO WE DONT HAVE MOB TROUBLE EITHER!!! YES WTF SINS SHOULDNT HAVE GODDAMNED WEAKNESSES JUST BECAUSE YOU STUPID FAGGOTS R JEALOUS OMGH YES MAKE US GODLY GODLY GODLY *masturbates to idea*

That, albeit very sarcastic, sums up complaints of most Assassins. Yes, Assassins are that good, and most pros, of even other classes, will admit it. However, that does not mean we are gods; as mentioned above.

II. Assassin Builds

Here I'll discuss some Assassin skill builds and the useful-ness and practicality of each build.

Power Build

5 Javelin Mastery
30 Critical Throw
6 Booster
20 Haste
20 Javelin Mastery
18 Booster
3 Endure
30 Drain

Your final skills:

30 Critical Throw
20 Javelin Mastery
20 Haste
18 Booster
3 Endure
30 Drain

I personally used this build myself, and find it the most practical, utilizing the most out of an Assassin's arsenal of skills, and maxing the most beneficial. Booster and Mastery can be mixed around, but I think maxing Mastery is just a teeny bit better.

Speed Build

5 Javelin Mastery
20 Haste
18 Booster
12 Javelin Mastery
30 Critical Throw
3 Endure
20 Javelin Mastery
30 Drain

Skills:

20 Haste
18 Booster
20 Javelin Mastery
30 Critical Throw
3 Endure
30 Drain

You end up with the same skills, except the only difference is in the order to max them and get to use them. For the first build, emphasizing more damage, you maxed Critical first; for the second, emphasizing speed, you maxed Haste and Booster first. Although I cannot put a firm point on which is easier to level, I believe I heard that the Power build requires less effort, but this cannot be confirmed.

I try to emphasize the fact that you do not have to follow any chart or build; you can put skills in any order you would like. However, I think it'd be best for you to max the recommended skills (Javelin Mastery, Haste, Drain, Critical Throw), because they are almost mandatory for an Assassin.

3 mastery
30 critical
2 mastery
6 booster
14 (or 15) mastery
3 endure
30 drain
(1 mastery if you only added 14 previuosly)
12 booster

A build that kimchilover recommends, maxing out Drain before Booster.

III. Assassin Skills

Here, I will describe, rate, and explain certain Assassin skills, and tell you why some are important and some aren't.

Javelin Mastery

Every weapons job has a Mastery skill for that particular weapon(s); why shouldn't the Assassin have it? Though not mandatory to max, Javelin Mastery is an incredibly useful skill, that not only adds damage to normal attacks, but accuracy (albeit not very necessary) and much wanted addition of throwing stars. You get 10 extra throwing stars for every set you have per Mastery level; even past level 70, I still find this skill useful and probably would feel frustrated without it. Even though the 200 additional stars might feel like little, trust me, you'll want those extra stars when you're training for 10 hours straight.

Rating: A

Claw Mastery: Lucky Seven works regardless of this. Why do I need to max it?
The whole deal about L7 being independent of mastery is bogus. First off, Mastery gives you an ADDITIONAL +20 accuracy on top of the 20 that Nimble Body offers you, giving you +40 automatic accuracy independent of equipments and attribute points, which means that your damage will be a LOT more stable. Plus, the extra 200 throwing-stars it comes with when mastered is an even better treat.

Antagonist sums it up quite nicely there.

Critical Throw

Yeah, yeah. So the Bowman got a nerfed version of this skill in their first job, and you get it in your second. They also share something else in common besides that the fact they enable critical damage; Critical Throw/Shot is relied upon by both jobs to deal their damage. Guess what? You're gonna max this skill, whether you like it or not. Trust me on this, Assassin damage practically depends on if you get lucky with Critical Throw or not. Even though this is highly unlikely, take into account the Hermit's Shadow Partner.

Rating: A+

Critical Throw: Can I do without it?
Simply not. Your entire training will be relying on critical hits, and you will need it to combat any monster in the future.

Simply put by Antagonist, again.

Endure

I'll tell you about it outright: no, it's not a necessary skill, so stop trying to argue that it's better than Drain and confusing other new players. Lemme put it this way: the only reason you are actually putting points into this skill is to unlock Drain. No, not because level 3 Endure will help; it's to unlock Drain!

Rating: D

Javelin Booster

Another one of my favorite skills. Sure, it's not NECESSARY, and some of my friends are able to play without it, but it is highly, highly recommended. And those friends I told you about? They don't play Assassins, they play another class and just wanted to try out my character, so don't get that stuck in your head. Since most of you will probably think this is in a grey zone, IT'S NOT. Lemme repeat this again: You are getting Booster, even though you feel like you don't need it and the points will be better utilized in some other skill. And no, there is no other skill you can put points in that will provide better effects than Booster.

Haste

Ahh, finally. The highly acclaimed, major favorite Thief skill (and a reason why people want to make thieves/want thieves in their party), Haste! Now, some people say Haste is overrated, and a few say it's underrated. I personally think it deserves the fame it gets. Jumping up and down like that, moving that fast; if you have it, you won't be able to play MapleStory without it. And besides the fun factor, Haste is a highly useful skill for Assassins, as this skill alone practically catapults Assassins to the "Fastest Killers" list.

Drain

Drain, one of the Assassin's more unknown skills. Some people even understand it wrong: get it straight, it is NOT a passive skill allowing you to regain 45% of every single hit you do. It is a seperate attack like Lucky Seven that allows you to shoot one Throwing Star at an enemy and regain 45% of the damage you dealt with that one star. However, it is still very useful; another awesome skill in the arsenal of Assassins.

Rating: A-

Side Info: Shot Information/Tricks

Here, I will label the different types of shots that an Assassin learns to use, and how to use them.

Jump Shot

The most basic type of shot, this involves jumping and using attack/Lucky Seven at the same time. Useful for distancing self from enemies, so that you don't punch/jab at the monster with your fist.

Key Sequence: Alt -> Ctrl

Back [Jump] Shot

When running away from a mob and trying to attack at the same time, players use a technique called Back Shot. This involves running away from a group of monsters, jumping (in the direction that you are running away), turning around, and launching an attack/Lucky Seven. When used slowly, it is like so. When used fast, players look like they don't even turn around!

Key Sequence: Arrow Key -> Alt + Same Arrow Key -> Opposite direction Arrow Key -> Ctrl

Upwards Shot

When you are on a lower platform and want to hit an enemy on the above platform, it is sometimes possible through the Upwards Shot technique. In places such as 'Somebody Else's House', you can shoot the upper platform. You want to start at the edge of your platform, facing the middle of your platform (inner).

Key Sequence: Alt -> Ctrl (at peak of jump)

"Faster" Shot

A technique I thought of while leveling. When you can't kill a monster in one hit (such as early Zombie levels), it is useful to use this trick. If you Jump Shot a monster and attack as you are landing, you fire a second shot almost right after the first.

Key Sequence: Alt -> Ctrl -> Ctrl (right as you touch the ground)

Mob Faster Shot

Another techinique devised whilst fighting Zombies. Zombies tend to be slow, yet gather in mobs pretty quickly (mostly at lower levels). Which means, you have to attack them all at the same time, basically rotating out. So you hit one in front of you, Back Jump Shot, Faster Shot, and repeat. This is basically a mix of all the skills we have learned.

Key Sequence: Arrow Key (face first monster) -> Jump Shot (jump straight up, Alt -> Ctrl) -> Opposite Arrow Key (mid-air) -> Ctrl (as you land) -> Opposite Arrow Key (so you face the first monster)

First off, I have to admit, I also looked at guides and asked pros on what equipment to get at what levels. Capes, gloves, shoes; those are some of the most confusing and complex parts of MapleStory.

At level 30, which you should be to be an Assassin, you should have:

5 DEX Old Raggedy Cape
+7 100% Meba
+10 100% Blue Sauna Robe
Dark Mischief (Upgrade from Nella's quest glove)/No DEX ~ 5 DEX Work Glove
100% or Unscrolled Black Snowshoes
Brown/Green Bamboo Hat

At level 40, starting to Ludi PQ, you should have the equipment from before, these are updates/upgrades to those items:

2 ~ 7 DEX Work Glove/Gold Arbion from John's Level 30 quest/Dark Mischief
Start looking for better scrolled Mebas
Extra mesos should be spent on an ATK Work Glove

Level 50, finally done with PQ and able to wear Napoleons...but should you? Nope, don't wear Napoleons, wear:

5 DEX+ Icarus Cape (1)
3+ ATK Work Glove/Moon Glove/Gold Arbion
+7 100% Slain
Sonata Hat

Level 60, 10 levels away from that coveted 3rd job advance:

5+ ATK Work Glove
Start to scroll your Snowshoes with Jump 10%/60% for the DEX
Start looking for better scrolled DEX/LUK Icarus (1)
Dark Identity (Not necessary)
Think about a better scrolled Slain
Save up for your Scarab, it will put a dent in your wallet

Level 70, finally the 3rd job advance, Hermit now:

7+ ATK Work Glove
Snowshoes DEX still isn't necesary
6 DEX/LUK+ Icarus Cape (1)
Good scrolled Scarab (preferably with 60%)

After that, you should end up with the final equipment of this, around level 90 ~ 100:

10 ATK Work Glove/Scrolled ATK Thief Glove (Preferably level 70+)
5 DEX+ Black Snowshoes
8 DEX/LUK+ Icarus Cape (1)
15 DEX+ Blue Sauna Robe
Pireta Hat/Dark Identity, doesn't really matter
+5 or more 60% Scarab

The eternal question echoed by Assassins throughout MapleStory history: when to upgrade to better stars. Needless to say, Steelies at below level 30 won't have much of an effect; even though it will power up your damage somewhat, it won't do so much that you'll need Steelies at that level.

1 ~ 30: Subis, few Wolbis
31 ~ 50: Mokbis, 1 or 2 Kumbis
51 ~ 70: Kumbis, Icicles, a couple Tobis
71+: Tobis and Steelies

That is what I used, and it didn't lower my damage much, if at all, and leveling pace was smooth and quick.

VI. 3rd Job Advance

Wow, so you finally reached level 70, all hyped up to take the 3rd job advance test. Sorry to let you down, but Dark Lord is a piece of cake. No joke, he must be one of the easiest bosses in the game. His attacks are all you have to watch out for; he can hit up to half your HP in one shot. Other than that, you should be able to own him.

The questionnaire part of the test is also very easy; if you can't answer 'em on your own, there are many sites out there that will spell out your answers to the letter.

Well, with the Necklace of Strength and Wisdom delivered to the 3rd Job Advancement Master, you are now officially a Hermit, congratulations!

VII. Hermit Builds

Here, I will discuss some Hermit class builds that you can choose to take.

Conventional Build

30 Shadow Partner
5 Avenger
20 Flash Jump
20 Alchemist
30 Avenger/30 Shadow Meso

The most practical, used build for Hermits; maxing the coveted Shadow Partner (aka Copycat) first, then moving on the Flash Jump, then Alchemist, and so on. This build is good because it allows you to get skills when you would probably need to use them. Also, after Flash Jump you can pretty much max what you want.

AoiSakura's Build

70 - 1 meso up
71 - 3 meso up
72 - 1 meso up / 2 avenger
73 - 1 meso up / 2 cc
74 - 1 meso up / 2 cc
75 - 1 meso up / 2 cc
76 - 1 meso up / 2 cc
77 - 3 cc (120 secs cc)
78 - 2 meso up / 1 cc
79 - 3 cc
80 - 3 cc
81 - 3 cc (180 secs cc)
82 - 3 shadow web
83 - 2 shadow web / 1cc
84 - 2 shadow web / 1cc
85 - 2 shadow web / 1cc
86 - 2 shadow web / 1cc
87 - 2 shadow web / 1cc
88 - 2 shadow web / 1cc
89 - 2 shadow web / 1cc
90 - 2 shadow web / 1cc
91 - 1 cc / 2 avenger
92 - 1 avenger / 2 flash jump
93 - 3 flash jump
94 - 3 flash jump
95 - 3 flash jump
96 - 3 flash jump
97 - 3 flash jump
98 - 3 flash jump

Quite an interesting build, an attempt to alienate some of the Hermit's most coveted skills. Creds to him for this build.

Some starting builds that you can go with, basically the Standard Build, but it manages to squish some of the Hermit's interesting skills at lower levels; credits to Neon.

Oh, here's some Hermit builds:

70 - 1 Shadow Partner
71 - 3 Avenger
72 - 2 Avenger, 1 Flash Jump
73 - 3 Shadow Partner
74 - 3 Shadow Partner
75 - 3 Shadow Partner
76 - 3 Shadow Partner

(Hermits usually add their first point into Shadow Partner because that's what they've been waiting for.)

Or you can do:

70 - 1 Avenger
71 - 1 Shadow Partner, 2 Avenger
72 - 2 Avenger, 1 Flash Jump
73 - 3 Shadow Partner
74 - 3 Shadow Partner
75 - 3 Shadow Partner
76 - 3 Shadow Partner

(Every level, you'll get a new skill. Yay!)

For each of these builds, continue to max Shadow Partner. After that, max these skills in any way you want (depends on your playing style/what you want): Flash Jump, Avenger, Alchemist, Meso Up. Remaining points in Shadow Meso/Shadow Web.

VIII. Hermit Skills

Shadow Partner

Simply the most wanted skill of Hermits, next to Flash Jump. Summon a Shadow that will mimic every move you make? Sweeeeeet. Although there is the quite costly fee of 5000 mesos per use, it is still an incredibly useful skill, used by 99.99% of all Hermits.

NOTE: When using Lucky Seven with Shadow Partner, it is impossible to get 1 or 3 Critical Throws. This is briefly explained by kimchi lover:

A tad mistaken. Anyone who saw a Hermit do his damage, or a Hermit video, would see the occassional 4 criticals with SP. Makes it a better skill.

I never said L7 & SP couldn't have 4 criticals, just that it has 2 independent (keyword independent) chances. That's why you never see 1 or 3 criticals.

Besides, strafe can occasionally get 4 criticals as well, but since it has 4 independent chances (ie. 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 criticals are possible,) it would be more stable, even though the bowman's chance of getting a critical is 40% instead of 50%. In other words L7 + SP has a higher chance of hitting the lowest or highest damage in it's range.

Avenger

At first sight, Avenger seems like a great skill. Iron Arrow that doesn't decrease damage as it passes by! What a great skill! Perfect to solve the problem of the Assassin's lack of mobbing skills! No, not really. Avenger is, truthfully, a less than average skill; some even go far enough to say it's a horrible skill, mostly by the fact that you have to use 3 friggin' stars just to activate this skill...it's just a no no. Though I honestly don't LOVE this skill, its use is more realized as you mob at higher levels at such places as Ludibrium (Vikings). I had C as a former rating, but it earned its way up to B+ (says a "Hooray!" for Avenger). Here is a brief run-down on the skill by our great Hermit, advancechao.

At level 100, I can safely say that Avenger is much better than a C grade. Even at level 13, where I have left it until the time comes to max it, I can do up to 3.5k per enemy on a mob of 5. Tell me that outdamages lucky seven by a lot. It's not a bad skill at all- it's just not as great as other mob skills like arrow rain, ice strike, blizzard shot, or anything else. The reason most people say avenger is bad is because they haven't maxed it yet. I have seen a level 120 hermit with maxed avenger doing up to 7.5k with avenger just to 1 target! And it hits 6 enemies at the max; you can imagine how much damage potential there is if Avenger hit max criticals on all 6 enemies. Around 45k damage!

The main disadvantages are that Avenger doesn't curve and it wastes a ton of stars, so people say.
1) You will most likely be using avenger to its fullest potential on the bottom of the vikings channel, where everything is flat. The need for Avenger to curve is eliminated. Plus, you can just sit in one place and snipe them as their shots pass over your head. As long as you have gathered 4 or more vikings, you will be doing more damage per second than lucky seven. Much more.

2) Avenger doesn't waste stars as much as people say. The change from lucky seven isn't that noticeable, since you're using lucky seven most of the time anyways. It's just a 2 star difference between the two skills. Since people carry thousands of stars, the change is irrelevant. And since avenger DOES outdamage lucky seven, it might even conserve stars by killing mobs faster. Would it be faster to take down the monsters 1 by 1 or all at once?

Assuming avenger is left at level 11, which is a good idea, it does 114% damage to 5 enemies, which is 570%. Hitting 4 enemies, it does 456% with no criticals on any.

Lucky seven does 150% 150% 75% 75% to 1 enemy, which becomes 450%, with no criticals on each of them. That means avenger does at least the same amount of damage as lucky seven in a mob of 4, and even more with a mob of 5 or more.

Avenger, even at 1/3 of the way to the max level, already outdamages lucky seven. Don't scoff at that.

I know that it's futile to compare percentages because lucky seven doesn't use the regular damage formula, but it still gives you the idea that Avenger is not a worthless skill. Since it's the ONLY mob skill hermits get, it is a good idea to max it out.

Rating: B+

Flash Jump

One of the Hermit's "flashiest" moves, allowing him to move at supersonic speeds. Okay, no not really, but close enough. You can zoom through maps easily and jump over tall enemies, enabling quick escape from mobs and fast runs to training areas.

Shadow Meso

Not much is known about this skill, but a recent discovery might shed some more light on this skill...and its possible huge damage.

When I leveled up today, i decided to mess around with shadow meso.
My damage was between 1000-2000 on a death teddy.
I decided to screw around and equip a garnier that was when i realized, the damage was exactly the same as when i equipped my scarab. Curious, i decided to equip a meba, the fastest claw in the game. As I suspected, my damage was the same as when i equpped the scarab and garnier, but also, my speed increased noticably.
I have concluded that the damage does not rely on weapon attack at all.
After going over the skill more, the damage depends on how much meso thrown with a % of 50% extra damage.
So I am asuming that if maxed, my damage to a death teddy maybe 8k-3k, with a 10% chance of doing 18k (12k + 6k). And, 18k is half of a death teddy's hp.
Imagine, a chance of two hitting a death teddy with using mp or stars o.O

Thanks to Karasublade for the info. Don't know enough for a rating yet, though.

Shadow Web

A web that sticks monsters down so you can just snipe them? Interesting...except for its drawbacks. First of all, it doesn't work 100%, even when maxed, so you never know when a monster might just lurch out and damage you. Honestly, there are better 20 SPs to spend.

Rating: B-

Meso UP

One of the Hermit's money-making skills, finally! I have to admit, it does take some MP to enable, though, and it isn't passive, unlike Alchemist. :( Even though 60 MP is a good spend on 120 seconds of added mesos, and it won't lower your mesos (yes, it will give you more than it takes), it is not as useful as Alchemist, so I commend you to max Alchemist before Meso UP. However, that does not mean to say that Meso UP is a useless skill not to be maxed, just after Alchemist IMHO.

Rating: A-

Alchemist

Time for one of my favorite skills. Yes, Alchemist is passive, which basically makes it better than Meso UP. It saves you mesos, and is just a plain lovely skill to have. Be sure to level this before Meso UP, it's all I can say.

IX. Training Areas

Most important part of MapleStory is training, and leveling up; here are some spots that will ensure you fastest training. Italics monsters and maps are most recommended.

Level 31 ~ 40

Wild Boars - Land of the Wild Boar, Land of the Wild Boar II
Jr. Sentinels - Orbis Tower 20th/19th/18th Floor
Zombie Mushrooms - Ant Tunnel 1/4
Fire Boars - Burnt Land 1/2
Evil Eyes - Evil Eye Cave 1/2/3/4
Star Pixies - Cloud Park 1

Level 41 ~ 50

Ludibrium PQ
Evil Eye - Evil Eye Cave 1/2/3/4
Star Pixies - Cloud Park 1
Jr. Grupin - Garden of Green
Jr. Cellion - Garden of Red
Jr. Lioner - Garden of Yellow
Lunar Pixie - Cloud Park 3/4
Tobo - Toy Factory <Aparatus Room>

Level 51 ~ 60

Jr. Yeti - Watch Out for Icy Path I
Stone Golem - Entrance to Golem's Temple
Drake - Drake Hunting Ground, Drake Meal Table
Dark Stone Golem - Sleepy Dungeon IV

Level 61 ~ 70

White Pang - Wold Territory V
Dark Stone Golem - Sleepy Dungeon IV
Grupin - Garden of Green II, Stairway to the Sky
Red Drake - Dangerous Valley II
Coolie Zombie - Forest of Dead Trees 1/2/3, Forest of Dead Trees 4
Wild Cargo - Wild Cargo Area

Level 71 ~ 80

Wild Cargo - Wild Cargo Area
Dark Stone Golem - Sleepy Dungeon 4
Red Drake - Dangerous Valley II
Tauromacis - Sanctuary Entrance 1/2/3/4

Level 81 ~ 90

Dark Stone Golem/Mixed Golem - The Forest of Golem
Wolf Spider - Wolf Spider Cavern

X. Conclusion

Well, I hope you learned something about the Assassin/Hermit class from reading this guide, and that you now understand more about them. I hope you realize that although Assassins may not be the best class in the game, they are pretty friggin' close, and that they may get a little boring to train, with using Lucky Seven the whole entire career.

With that said, I wish you a good Mapling experience and maybe you might try the Assassin class sometime!

XI. Credits

Air Jordan - Making this guide
Wizet - Creator of MapleGlobal
MapleStory - For being a great game
MapleTip - For letting me post here
Hidden-Street.net - For all their info and databases
Sleepywood - Guides and detailed info
Antagonist - For great skill explanations
Karasublade - Shadow Meso discovery
AoiSakura - For his interesting Hermit build
kimchilover - For helping me correct some things in my guide
Neon - Hermit beginning builds
advancechao - Avenger knowledge

Happy Mapling!

Edited by Air Jordan, 08 December 2007 - 11:32 AM.

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 HaichJay

HaichJay

|-我是中国人-|

• Official Member
  • 1070 posts
  • IGN:Siivershadow

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:27 AM

Wow man, I must say this is an impressive guide, although I differ to your opinion on Meso Up, because 60 mp = like...6/10 of a blue pot, and blue pot = 200 mesos, so 6/10 of that = 120 mesos for 120 seconds of double mesos, which is really good, because if you are a hermit, the things you kill probably drop around 600 mesos or so, and if you max Meso UP, then your money would come rolling in fast.
IPB Image

Call me HJ now.

Interested in becoming a pro PQ leader?Tired of waiting and missing PQs?

THE LUDIBRIUM PQ LEADER'S CLICK MASTER GUIDE

Go on it, you will master the way of the fingers before you know it. :D

-QUIT MS-

Will be on MT every now and then.

#3 Blared

Blared

Fap Fap Fap !!

• Respected Member
  • 1862 posts
  • IGN:Blared

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:44 AM

Bookmarked this guide, and famed you. Best Sin guide I've read.
Pretty much quit.

#4 ArcherCrazyX

ArcherCrazyX

Stirge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • IGN:IncrediB0w

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:36 AM

Awesome guide! The more guides we get the better! XD I just started my Sin so I wont be using it for a while, but none-the-less, great guide!

TerrorFying - Level 22 Bandit-To-Be - Born On March 23, 2007

Goals: (TerrorFying)
Complete First PQ
Become A Bandit
Make 1 Million Mesos - 32k/1M
Get 100 Fame - 3/100

#5 KrazyPaully

KrazyPaully

Stirge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • IGN:joexsin

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:36 AM

This is a really awesome guide :) and also dark klocks drop from around 700-950 mesos so with meso up thats at least 1k :sack: per monster so meso up is a really good skill. (Y)

#6 kimchi lover

kimchi lover

Tauromacis

• Official Member
  • 913 posts
  • IGN:-CENSORED-

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:32 PM

Power Build

3 Javelin Mastery
30 Critical Throw
6 Booster
20 Haste
20 Javelin Mastery
18 Booster
3 Endure
30 Drain

Speed Build

4 Javelin Mastery
20 Haste
18 Booster
12 Javelin Mastery
30 Critical Throw
3 Endure
20 Javelin Mastery
30 Drain

I STRONGLY disagree with getting booster to level 18 before maxing drain. Drain saves you tons of money and space in the 'use' section of your inventory. My recommendation would be:

3 mastery
30 critical
2 mastery
6 booster
14 (or 15) mastery
3 endure
30 drain
(1 mastery if you only added 14 previuosly)
12 booster

Also your builds don't take into account that booster requires 5 mastery.

First off, I have to admit, I also looked at guides and asked pros on what equipment to get at what levels. Capes, gloves, shoes; those are some of the most confusing and complex parts of MapleStory.

At level 30, which you should be to be an Assassin, you should have:

5 DEX Old Raggedy Cape
+7 100% Meba
+10 100% Blue Sauna Robe
No DEX ~ 5 DEX Work Glove
100% or Unscrolled Black Snowshoes
Brown/Green Bamboo Hat

At level 40, starting to Ludi PQ, you should have the equipment from before, these are updates/upgrades to those items:

2 ~ 7 DEX Work Glove
Start looking for better scrolled Mebas
Extra mesos should be spent on an ATK Work Glove

Level 50, finally done with PQ and able to wear Napoleons...but should you? Nope, don't wear Napoleons, wear:

5 DEX+ Icarus Cape (1)
3+ ATK Work Glove
+7 100% Slain
Sonata Hat

Level 60, 10 levels away from that coveted 3rd job advance:

5+ ATK Work Glove
Start to scroll your Snowshoes with Jump 10%/60% for the DEX
Start looking for better scrolled DEX/LUK Icarus (1)
Dark Identity
Level 70, finally the 3rd job advance, Hermit now:

7+ ATK Work Glove
Snowshoes DEX still isn't necesary
6 DEX/LUK+ Icarus Cape (1)
Good scrolled Scarab (preferably with 60%)

After that, you should end up with the final equipment of this, around level 90 ~ 100:

10 ATK Work Glove
5 DEX+ Black Snowshoes
8 DEX/LUK+ Icarus Cape (1)
15 DEX+ Blue Sauna Robe
Pireta Hat
+5 or more 60% Scarab

The eternal question echoed by Assassins throughout MapleStory history: when to upgrade to better stars. Needless to say, Steelies at below level 30 won't have much of an effect; even though it will power up your damage somewhat, it won't do so much that you'll need Steelies at that level.

1 ~ 30: Subis, few Wolbis
31 ~ 50: Mokbis, 1 or 2 Kumbis
51 ~ 70: Kumbis, Icicles, a couple Tobis
71+: Tobis and Steelies

I really disagree with your equipment recommendations too. DEX work gloves are pretty useless for assassins, and a 10 dex sauna is nothing to get excited about either. Why not use the glove from nella's quest which can be upgraded with a few opals to give 2 dex? If you have enough money for a dark ID you should be using better than a 5 atk work glove or a +7 100% slain. Also if you want maximum damage the pireta hat is a waste because it requires 10 more dex than your claw...

Bottom line is you can't give a guide on equipment that everyone should follow. The general idea is maximize attack for minimum mesos... How that is achieved specifically is dependent on what your current equips are and how many mesos you have.

Even though this is highly unlikely, take into account the Hermit's Shadow Partner. It's a maximum of 800% damage you are able to do, with a measly 400% if you don't critical.

This is inncorrect. Maxed shadow partner does 50% of the damage when using a skill so the damage range for L7 with maxed shadow partner is 450-750%. It's worth noting as well that this is a more narrow damage range than a bowman's strafe, however strafe would be more stable because it has 4 independent chances of critical where as L7 with SP has only 2 chances.

Anyway, I applaud your effort for making a guide and there is some good information in there, but as you can see I disagree with a lot of the content.
On a long break...

#7 Air Jordan

Air Jordan

Neverending Challenge

• Respected Member
  • 1012 posts
  • Location:On a highly insignificant planet revolving a highly insignificant sun.

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, I still need to fine tune up some parts of this guide, including some skills, builds, and items, but the item guideline is basically what you can do, and do without, at each level. First of all, it's completely up to the user whether to follow it or not, and I will add the option of using just regular thief gloves (my bad, I forgot). Dang, forgot that 5 mastery thing too >.<; will start editing guide now. I knew that Shadow Partner equation was too simple :f7: . Will add now. Thanks for the input guys.

Also, for Drain, I disagree with you, as I only required Drain at level 60+, fighting harder monsters. 'Til then, pots usage was fine for me, so I added booster first. However, I will also implement your build into the guide.

#8 kimchi lover

kimchi lover

Tauromacis

• Official Member
  • 913 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:27 PM

Also, for Drain, I disagree with you, as I only required Drain at level 60+, fighting harder monsters. 'Til then, pots usage was fine for me, so I added booster first. However, I will also implement your build into the guide.

I guess the booster/drain issue is kind of dependent on playing style.

However, in my opinion an important difference is if you get booster first you don't have the option of using drain. If you get drain first, you can still train with booster you just need to recast more often and it costs a little more to recast.

Also just to mention even if you follow the build I suggested you will only max drain around level 66.

I have also read some threads on sleepywood that say shadow web does ~3% of enemies HP damage (not to some bosses though). I can't say for sure though.

Anyway, I appreciate the credit and I'm glad you have taken my criticism well. Good luck with the guide.
On a long break...

#9 magesmk

magesmk

Teh poor hermit

• Official Member
  • 704 posts
  • IGN:Sinsmk

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:34 PM

Pretty good guide, only a few points I would like to point out. You can't really tell what equipts people should have since alot of sin's are unfunded. Now what I really want to talk about is avenger. You may say it sucks, it's the complete opposite. First off at max lv it outdamages your lucky seven damage on mobs of 4+ and even thouhg it uses 3 stars thats one more star then lucky seven. At max lv it will do more damage on mobs then your lucky seven could.
Currently a Guild Member of

*Guild Quest Attempts*
  • Total Attemps: 16
  • Failed Attempts: 8
  • Cleared Attempts: 8
  • Good Prizes: 5

#10 Air Jordan

Air Jordan

Neverending Challenge

• Respected Member
  • 1012 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:02 PM

Pretty good guide, only a few points I would like to point out. You can't really tell what equipts people should have since alot of sin's are unfunded. Now what I really want to talk about is avenger. You may say it sucks, it's the complete opposite. First off at max lv it outdamages your lucky seven damage on mobs of 4+ and even thouhg it uses 3 stars thats one more star then lucky seven. At max lv it will do more damage on mobs then your lucky seven could.

Trust me, when you've read all the outside sources, USED Avenger for awhile, TALKED to all the level 90+ they will definately tell you Avenger is a horrible skill. You can't/shouldn't even argue with that.

Update: Added Training Areas

#11 TheBANDlTSIN

TheBANDlTSIN

Tauromacis

• Official Member
  • 928 posts
  • IGN:/find AceBlueheart

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:17 PM

whether avenger is or is not a horrible/useful skill is all personal preference so all we can do with that is compare mp/star costs:damage output while still taking in account training areas for certain levels. i dont see any significance in your lv 90+ friends' opinions though its a great guide nonetheless.
Sorry I have to leave MT forums, but I feel as if the community is becoming less friendly and I, too, am becoming the rude person that I am not.

I will continue to use the excellent library and forums as a source of information. You may see me post once in a while but not as much as usual.

I'd just like to thank my MT friends for making me feel like home here, for all the MS advice, and for helping me become a better person.

#12 Air Jordan

Air Jordan

Neverending Challenge

• Respected Member
  • 1012 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

whether avenger is or is not a horrible/useful skill is all personal preference so all we can do with that is compare mp/star costs:damage output while still taking in account training areas for certain levels. i dont see any significance in your lv 90+ friends' opinions though its a great guide nonetheless.

Well then, truth to be told, if you do not care what other people think, and don't give a damn about people who've experienced the game's opinions, then honestly sir, you shouldn't be reading a guide. Your all-powerful attitude, WHILE READING MY GUIDE, appalls me. Have a good day.

#13 TheBANDlTSIN

TheBANDlTSIN

Tauromacis

• Official Member
  • 928 posts
  • IGN:/find AceBlueheart

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:20 PM

ive seen too many threads like this go back and forth about how good an attack is and more often than not it comes down to how much someone likes an attack. its easy to like or dislike a skill; im just saying that you should have a damage calculation section in your guide if your gonna prove how uneffective avenger is. i dont want to be so rude about this but could it be possible that someone would say they have a lv 90+ friend just to support their arguement? i dont think that is good enough to support a guide. if i got a sample of a lv 90+ damage then at least i could get some sort of idea but them saying that a skill is horrible leads me to nowhere. where is "horrible"? does that mean its less useful than shadow meso? magesmk never said its the best skill in the game but you make it out as if there is no situation that avenger is better to use than lucky 7. well it seems you already received a heavy impression of me so i guess theres no point in me going on. id just like u to accept my own thanks for writing out a guide; every guide writer whos willing to put in the effort deserves some kind of credit. oh and lastly, i do appreciate every experienced players opinions greatly, i just need a way of knowing how they came up with those opinions when im reading a guide (in my last post i wasnt speaking for opinions in general).
Sorry I have to leave MT forums, but I feel as if the community is becoming less friendly and I, too, am becoming the rude person that I am not.

I will continue to use the excellent library and forums as a source of information. You may see me post once in a while but not as much as usual.

I'd just like to thank my MT friends for making me feel like home here, for all the MS advice, and for helping me become a better person.

#14 kimchi lover

kimchi lover

Tauromacis

• Official Member
  • 913 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:11 PM

I think avenger has two main purposes:

1. Aggravate mobs so that they move towards you then you can proceed to hammer them with L7.

2. On mobs.

If you consider the potential damage output, 1 avenger with SP hitting 6 monsters would do an accumulative total of 2070% = [180% + 50% (criticals 50% of the time)]*1.5 (because of SP) * 6 monsters. That would require 6 stars.

6 stars using L7 and SP accounts for a damage of 900% =[300% + 100% (average of 1 critical)]*1.5 (because of SP) * 1.5 (because 1.5 L7's with SP uses 6 stars).

L7 would be more stable because it has 2 chances for critical, and it might not often be the case where 6 monsters have lined up for avenger. Also those damage %'s are not entirely equal because L7 has it's own unique formula...

So in other words I'm sure L7 will still be the main attacking skill, but I think avenger would at least have the potential to outdamage L7/be useful... But like so many other things it would depend on the map and your playing style as well.
On a long break...

#15 Air Jordan

Air Jordan

Neverending Challenge

• Respected Member
  • 1012 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:10 PM

ive seen too many threads like this go back and forth about how good an attack is and more often than not it comes down to how much someone likes an attack. its easy to like or dislike a skill; im just saying that you should have a damage calculation section in your guide if your gonna prove how uneffective avenger is. i dont want to be so rude about this but could it be possible that someone would say they have a lv 90+ friend just to support their arguement? i dont think that is good enough to support a guide. if i got a sample of a lv 90+ damage then at least i could get some sort of idea but them saying that a skill is horrible leads me to nowhere. where is "horrible"? does that mean its less useful than shadow meso? magesmk never said its the best skill in the game but you make it out as if there is no situation that avenger is better to use than lucky 7. well it seems you already received a heavy impression of me so i guess theres no point in me going on. id just like u to accept my own thanks for writing out a guide; every guide writer whos willing to put in the effort deserves some kind of credit. oh and lastly, i do appreciate every experienced players opinions greatly, i just need a way of knowing how they came up with those opinions when im reading a guide (in my last post i wasnt speaking for opinions in general).

As stated, I haven't just gone on my friends' opinions, don't get the wrong idea. What you wrote in your first post, however, almost clearly meant "I really don't care what you think nor what your friends think". Now if you mistyped that, or didn't mean it, that's fine.

And I'd like to say, almost every guide is heavily biased with opinion, whether you like it or not.

Either way, I'm not going to argue about this unless you have clear proof. And, I never said Avenger is a completely useless skill, as I use it too. However, it is a letdown for users who thought Avenger was the Assassin savior of mobbing, because it's not. I suggest getting Avenger, trying it out, before arguing with anyone. Thanks.

ALSO, notice how it says: "some go far enough to say it's a horrible skill"? All I ever said was, "it's a less than average skill". I suggest not taking this too far.

:D

#16 KrazyPaully

KrazyPaully

Stirge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:02 PM

But also wouldnt using avengers use up ur stars really quickly? i mean 6 stars (with sp) is a lot of stars. also if u were fighting lets say vikings then wouldnt avenger be pretty weak because of the weapon defence? i saw people use avenger (maxed) on viking and barely did 3k with critical so i dont see how it can be stronger than lucky 7 with sp.

#17 Air Jordan

Air Jordan

Neverending Challenge

• Respected Member
  • 1012 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:06 PM

But also wouldnt using avengers use up ur stars really quickly? i mean 6 stars (with sp) is a lot of stars. also if u were fighting lets say vikings then wouldnt avenger be pretty weak because of the weapon defence? i saw people use avenger (maxed) on viking and barely did 3k with critical so i dont see how it can be stronger than lucky 7 with sp.

Thank god someone understands. :D

#18 kimchi lover

kimchi lover

Tauromacis

• Official Member
  • 913 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:18 PM

I would think weapon defense would be LESS of a factor for avenger since it hits half the amount of times that lucky seven does. Also I don't think anyone is suggesting avenger does more damage or is more efficient with stars when facing SINGLE targets...

As far as the stars go, L7 would use 4 with SP and avenger 6 with SP, but avenger can hit up to 6 enemies... 50% higher star usage for 500% more enemies hit sounds like a fair trade off to me.

I admit I don't have first hand experience, but if you look at the math I ran through in my previous post, it seems avenger has the potential to do more damage for the number of stars or more damage per use (whichever way you prefer to look at it).

I can appreciate that avenger is not the best mob skill and that in practice the number of times you may be afforded that opportunity when avenger is a better choice than L7 may be few... I'm just saying the potential is there.
On a long break...

#19 Air Jordan

Air Jordan

Neverending Challenge

• Respected Member
  • 1012 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:58 AM

Sorry to let you down, kimchi, and although the potential is, as the math states, THERE. Just the fact that the potential is so little it doesn't need to be cared about...and most Hermits, though they max Avenger in the end, proceed to max Flash Jump and Alchemist before it. And as I said, lemme state this again, YOU DO NOT NEED TO READ THIS GUIDE NOR FOLLOW ANY OF ITS GUIDELINES. IT IS HERE FOR YOUR BENEFIT AND YOUR BENEFIT ONLY. Remember that.

And uh...rating pl0x. ;;

Is it too much to ask for a pin? kthx.

#20 KrazyPaully

KrazyPaully

Stirge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:18 PM

I would think weapon defense would be LESS of a factor for avenger since it hits half the amount of times that lucky seven does. Also I don't think anyone is suggesting avenger does more damage or is more efficient with stars when facing SINGLE targets...

As far as the stars go, L7 would use 4 with SP and avenger 6 with SP, but avenger can hit up to 6 enemies... 50% higher star usage for 500% more enemies hit sounds like a fair trade off to me.

I admit I don't have first hand experience, but if you look at the math I ran through in my previous post, it seems avenger has the potential to do more damage for the number of stars or more damage per use (whichever way you prefer to look at it).

I can appreciate that avenger is not the best mob skill and that in practice the number of times you may be afforded that opportunity when avenger is a better choice than L7 may be few... I'm just saying the potential is there.

but u forgot in ur math that avenger gets weaker as it goes through enemies so ur math would be off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users