#1 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4448 posts
  • IGN:The Panda Man Can

Posted 14 December 2020 - 01:16 AM

Crossposting from Rengar Cute Kitty.

[..] I threw a song into an auto-transcription program and spent the weekend trying to clean up the results despite having no real idea what I'm doing. You see, I have no sense of music theory, nor can I read notes, so leaning on robot crutches and other people's music is the best I can do for now. :'D

Listen here.

Oh, don't ask about the instrument choice... I have yet to hear a MIDI instrument that doesn't make my eyes water.

This program (costs $40 USD, I bought it) is really neat. Uses neural nets to calculate the absolute notes of the melody, percussion, bass, accompaniments, what-have-you, and spits out 500% unplayable sheet music that looks something like this:

Spoiler

So it's up to you to add and excise notes, which is still a non-trivial amount of work, since complex scores can be straight up garbled. It's fun, though! One thing I've found is that I need way fewer notes than I think. When it comes to MIDIs at least, it's easy for the sound to get crowded.

Part 2: mmm.mp3 This one was tough. And long (almost 5 minutes). Bad combo.

If I make enough of these, I may eventually have a little garbage album.

Dopple loves you. Yes, you.

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4448 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 09:59 PM

Part 3: RADICAL DREAMERS

I tried to make this one piano-playable, though who knows if it really is. In spite of that, I couldn't bring myself to pick "acoustic grand piano," because that instrument sounds terrible, especially its lack of nuance for those notes at the ends of whatever-you-call-those. Probably got a bunch of those notes wrong anyhow, they sound so conspicuous. Oh well.

#3 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4448 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 10:16 PM

Part 4: "Bright piano" cancer

Why listen to the lovely source music when you can have an ear-blistering MIDI instead?

#4 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4448 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 03:47 PM

Part 5: PIANO*

AKA I butcher one of my favourite FictionJunction songs. I'm pretty sure this one is unplayable, despite my mediocre efforts to the otherwise.

*The title of the source track, not me screaming "PIANO" in hopes of dressing it up.

#5 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4448 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 02:48 PM

Part 6: The best "<Something> for Everyone's Souls"

I started this one weeks ago, even before "mmm.mp3" (Mitsuki Nakae's Paradise Map). As usual, I couldn't figure out what to do about the accompaniment. The bass was this solid wall of like AAAADDDDDDEbEbEbEbEb, not super interesting by itself. The cover risked sounding under-scored, so I tried filling in the space between the melody and bass, where the result is some parts faithful, most parts making stuff up because I couldn't comprehend a lot of it from the original, and the software wasn't helping. Enjoy. :'D 

Not Playable, unless you have three hands and a willingness to do whatever the hell is going on in the background.

As an excuse, the source is somewhat badly mastered (as much as I like it, don't get me wrong). 1) That guitar gets smothered under a pillow in its sleep at night. 2) Did you know there's an electronic chorus? Now you don't say, it is a "for Everyone's Souls" arrangement, but I admit I didn't even realize that thin little chorus existed until I tried making this bwahaha. Not that I have done anything with that knowledge.

#6 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4448 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 05:04 PM

Here's some raw output from this software.

It's shockingly intelligible, right!? Press a 'go' button, watch your CPU rev to the max, and wham! 'Tis the stuff of dreams. (And also the stuff of putting people out of work.) I'm avoiding totally shilling this product by withholding its name.

Output does largely depend on the source. The above is pretty close to a best case scenario for a non-piano track: Kamikura's PC Engine-esque arrangement of Inevitable Struggle, which benefits from clean and relatively straightforward notes. Put someone like Akiko Shikata (Ar no Surge with Origa and co. RIP Origa :( ) and the results won't sound like anything.

Usually there'll be a glut of notes to cull, things will be missing, timing will be off, sometimes performers do crazy things that you can't really replicate, and sometimes notes are wrong. Not that I would really know best, when all I have is me.

#7 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4448 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 02:19 PM

Part 7: Big Trouble in Little Valestine Castle

I'm pretty sure this is not how you respect music that you like, but uh, yeah. A modest toast to my most treasured soundtrack. I used to listen to it a lot, not as much these days, but I'm still impressed when I do. Darn does it have some of the best melodies ever.

To be a curmudgeon: I feel that Falcom doesn't often make music like they used to. Mmm. Well, it's been a minute since I caught up with their latest stuff, so I may be speaking too soon. I started getting pretty disenfranchised around the time they came up with stuff like this.

#8 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4448 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 11:13 AM

MapleTip please

Part 8: Suzaku

drive.google.com/file/d/1NkJ6CCZ9dwNf4vsBDK6EcLzYvvQlyp6U/view?usp=sharing

yea, if here I find my end, stay your tears, for we shall meet again

1) That intro bassline is intriguing. 2) I love the painstaking craftsmanship in FFXIV lyrics.

As much as that doesn't mean I should make a MIDI crappification of Suzaku, here it is anyway.

[edit] The keyboard crappification 

#9 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4448 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 10:46 AM

Part 9: Well, the Source is Nice, and MapleTip is Still Broken

drive.google.com/file/d/1ddjQGMRvc8ZmuhmMCDOpA7FFM1Sqp743/view?usp=sharing

This track has so bloody many notes. My fingers are dying. Seriously, though, the source is Nice. Classic Dungeon, I don't even know what that game is, it just has good music.

[edit] Keyboard crappification

Now that I look at this again, I'm noticing a number of mistakes...

#10 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4448 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:37 AM

> "Bright piano" cancer

I listened to this again and it gave me cancer.

Part 10: :skullmush:

[edit] my god I can post this

#11 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4448 posts

Posted 17 July 2021 - 10:56 AM

Because I can't edit some of my posts, here's a slightly-adjusted keyboard version for the bad Radical Dreamers MIDI:

Still can't read notes. Njoy.

Also informally offering cash bounties (~$150 CAD apiece) for those daring MapleTip pianists willing to record themselves playing a selection from my devoid-of-theory transcriptions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users