6 replies to this topic

#1 Norwegian

Norwegian

Snails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:54 AM

Not sure if this should've been posted in the technology board? Definitely want to become a regular poster on here, but I can't really run the game.

Now, I've tried to get this game to run in the past, and the issue I believe has stemmed from having to do a system restore. The motherboard's OS was originally Windows Vista, which I BELIEVE ran Maplestory beautifully with little to no lag..

With the system restore, the damn thing has reverted to Windows XP (Which don't get me wrong, is probably even better than Vista in many ways) BUT for some reason, barely anything was playable in terms of games. Heck, I could barely play 2D browser arcade games.

I don't remember what happened, but I'm assuming most of my drivers were screwed up due to the OS "degrade".. I don't remember how long ago I'd downloaded a graphics driver, if I even did, but I know that I couldn't even run 3D video games via emulators, and can now run Nintendo 64 games smoothly and playstation 1 games with no issue or lag.. Not sure if that really indicates anything in terms of being able to run Maplestory.

I've tried recently to run the game, and no matter what I clicked on, none of the applications would do anything at all.. The gamelauncher, nor the two "Maplestory" application files, one of which directs me to the site. If I press "play" it asks for my login details, so I KNOW that the button is registering my clicks.. But if I press play AFTER logging in, it does nothing. WHAT. THE. HELL..

I've tried deleting the HackShield/Black folders, downloading them and re-pasting them in the MS folder, I've tried renaming the gamelauncher file, trying to run it as admin, etc.. I don't really know what else I can do.

Could someone give me directions to figuring out my computer's specs so I can post 'em here and possibly figure out if I need to buy a brand new computer? I really don't want to HAVE to just say screw it and shell out 300-500$ If I don't have to, but if I DO, I will. I just want to know for certain that somehow my computer has gone from being able to run the game to being unable to, and if there's anything I can do to change this. I CAN run some 3D games, like "ToonTown"..

My computer's an emachines, windows xp 2002.. I KNOW that I've been able to run Maplestory on this computer years ago, so even to this day I stilldon't exactly know what happened, but it definitely had to do with the system restore putting me from Vista to XP, and then not having the Vista system restore discs that I originally did..

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Norwegian

Norwegian

Snails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:54 AM

Hmm? Perhaps I'll open up the motherboard and give it a look.. I'm thinking that I'd be better off buying a new computer anyway, but I'm going to try to fix this regardless, not getting rid of this one.

#3 Freedøm

Freedøm

Slow

• Official Member
  • 1018 posts
  • IGN:Madman133

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

well, since you actually thought that posting in a mostly dead forum to look for tech help was a good idea, might as well give legit help.

your problem doesn't sound like it stems from anything hardware related, it sounds more like you just got some bugged out software. your easiest and best bet would be to just find someone to reformat your computer to factory state, which would clear away and reinstall all your drivers.
trying to fix the problem by itself would take a whole lot of work, since it could be anything causing the problem. getting someone to fix it for you might turn out to be pretty expensive.

if that's too technical for you, or if you cant find anyone to do that for you, go buy an official copy of windows and install that, making sure to wipe all data, not saving them.
Posted Image

#4 Norwegian

Norwegian

Snails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

well, since you actually thought that posting in a mostly dead forum to look for tech help was a good idea, might as well give legit help.

your problem doesn't sound like it stems from anything hardware related, it sounds more like you just got some bugged out software. your easiest and best bet would be to just find someone to reformat your computer to factory state, which would clear away and reinstall all your drivers.
trying to fix the problem by itself would take a whole lot of work, since it could be anything causing the problem. getting someone to fix it for you might turn out to be pretty expensive.

if that's too technical for you, or if you cant find anyone to do that for you, go buy an official copy of windows and install that, making sure to wipe all data, not saving them.

I would revert it to factory settings, but you'd need the system restore disk for that, correct? I don't have 'em. Might as well just buy an official version of Windows, then. Should I just get another copy of XP?

#5 Freedøm

Freedøm

Slow

• Official Member
  • 1018 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

if you can still find a copy of it, sure. just remember that if you choose to buy a newer operating system, like windows 7/8, you can install it on a new computer too if you choose to upgrade down the line, so it might be worth it to make a longer term investment.

also, most operating systems have two versions, 32bit and 64bit. you can find out which one you need by right clicking My Computer and choosing proprieties. there you'll find your installed ram, if you have 8GB or more installed ram you'll probably want to buy 64bit. if 4GB or lower you can purchace 32bit. if you run on 32 bit, make sure that you find a 32bit computer when you choose to upgrade or else your OS is going to be buggy when you install it on a new computer.

Edited by Freedøm, 23 November 2013 - 03:19 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Freedøm

Freedøm

Slow

• Official Member
  • 1018 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

dude probably isn't going to visit anymore, but this is appropriate for problems of this sort:

ku-xlarge.png

Posted Image

#7 KabukimanNYPD

KabukimanNYPD

Stirge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

10/10 best post on forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users