40 replies to this topic

#1 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:37 AM

Posted Image

Of course I had the taste to be a handsome lalafell. Why would you make anything else? Your other choices are human, big human, really big human, cat person, or elf. Sorry, I said elf; I meant ELEZEN, who are actually tall French people with pointy ears. I don't know why the whole yeah let's name our human race 'Hyur,' or 'Hume,' or something vaguely like 'human' that you might as well just say human without dancing around the word, but all right.

Surrounded by Crispy Bacons and Box Lickers, I've fortunately yet to have anyone ask why my name is stupid. It's Valruki Manaruki, with the whole "nice poem" thing going on because if you're a plainsfolk male like me, your name follows the scheme AB CB, where each of A B and C is restricted to one or two syllables. Along with a number of other fun rules involving repetition and suspiciously Japanese-sounding vowels that make coming up with a non-weeaboo name a nightmare. What's this anal business? They have naming conventions depending on your race, home region, and gender. Obviously most people don't care, otherwise we'd have fewer Kirito Dualbladeses walking around.

I appreciate the amount of thought they put into it, even though the end results have a high chance of stupid. How do you go about figuring it out? Whatever the case, as long as you don't call yourself something like 'Fafajoni' or my favourite, 'Tatatucha,' I think we're good.

The writing is magnitudes better than TERA's, but that's not saying much because TERA barely made any goddamn sense. Here NPCs at least explain why they can't just take out the trash themselves, and they don't (usually) ask you talk on their behalf to someone standing 10 feet away. So wonderful... Actually, I'm tired of reading crap in general so I've been giving dialogue bubbles a fraction of a second at most. Besides the standard 'Woe is me, now help fetch some bug shells,' that's all I really noticed.

Oh, yeah, gameplay? I know a handful of folks dying to play this from the beta, and it occurs to me that they're dying to play WoW. It's been all right, think WoW with an extra few elements, different lore, a shiny world/UI, and awful latency.

Music is easily soundtrack of the year. 10/10.

Edited by Dopple, 09 November 2013 - 03:32 AM.

Dopple loves you. Yes, you.

f_by_nepharus-d7fbwoh.png

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 竜王聖帝

竜王聖帝

The Courteous and Insidious Maelstrom

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3787 posts
  • Location:In that place-- you know, the palace of the dragons? Occasionlly goes to a Chocobo ranch.
  • IGN:MushinNoKana (Renegades)

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

It still pisses me off that XI and XIV are still considered part of the canon series.

#3 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

Why?

This game can be pretty grueling, though. I don't need to spend more than two minutes learning how to multiDoT, spam flying rocks and heal every once in a while, let alone ten hours. And that's all you get to do for the first ten hours as a conjurer: mash the same few abilities while occasionally toeing around some avoid-me geometry. It gets mildly more interesting if you're running a dungeon and have people to look after on the side. Then you can juggle maximising DPS with letting your party members worry they might die.

#4 Freedøm

Freedøm

Slow

• Official Member
  • 1018 posts
  • IGN:Madman133

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:10 AM

nothing beats running a dungeon with your party and having your healer tell you that their staff broke at the boss room.
Posted Image

#5 Hentai

Hentai

Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3675 posts
  • IGN:Hentai

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

I wish my name was lore friendly ):

Hentai loves you. Yes, you.

#6 Hobbes

Hobbes

[email protected]

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 6301 posts
  • IGN:WindHobbes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

I wish my name was lore friendly ):

I only played during the beta, but it was hard for me to come up with a good name that had two parts. I decided on Halure Hime. I thought it was appropriate for a Lalafell.

ya.png

#7 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

The first few dungeons are a snore for obvious reasons so I've come up with a little game to keep myself occupied. Here's how you win: end the fight with your mana and everyone's health as low as possible, the lower the better, but you lose if you let someone die. See, time healing people is time taken away from DPSing. As long as they're alive at the end of the fight, they don't need to be healed any more than that, right? If by then your mana also isn't low, you either haven't DPSed hard enough or less commonly, your party doesn't suck.

The idea here isn't just to spend more time DPSing, but DPS effectively too. Keeping someone above 90% HP is less a waste than reapplying your DoT willy-nilly on dying targets or when it still has >5 seconds left. At least the healing will probably be used at some point. Global cooldowns are long as hell in this game (2.5s) and doing <20 damage with one is not useful. I'm debating whether it's worth juggling Cleric Stance for what amounts to maybe a 15 damage boost per nuke, leaning towards no.

But the biggest waste of time is overhealing. Those excess health points do literally nothing.

#8 Taxi

Taxi

Iron Hog

• Official Member
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

lalafell

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Hentai

Hentai

Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3675 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

Later on, you get gear that gives just pure mind. The reason why stancing really isn't worth it right now is because you get general equipment with Intellect and Mind so they split the stats equally. I do double damage without stance (but being a healer and having a lack of damaging spells, I'm only as good as the lowest dps at best. White mages still turn trash into confetti with Holy). In my experience, you can only find room to heal at early 30s. Maybe I partied with a bunch of baddies then. It stays that way until level 45 when you get more mind gear and should find room to stance on trash here and there. At 50, even with shitty gear, I find myself stancing the whole dungeon until bosses. Especially if you have a good tank.

Overhealing is the biggest sin in this game. Bad white mages are the most guilty of it. White mages can top off tanks with a snap of their fingers but they often overheal if they use the big heals at 70% so they're down mana and higher on the threat table than they should be. This goes double with white mages who spam regen because they can get to the top of the table in a few ticks of regen (since it covers the whole party) and stay there forever. They do have an aggro drop but it can be used to refresh mana so blowing it early in a boss fight just to drop aggro might be bad.

At least when Scholars overheal, the points are converted to shield. Their heals are weaker so I find myself healing forever at Coil of Bahamut.

Edited by Hentai, 15 October 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#10 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

I'm only getting all wound up because it makes current content slightly less dull. (What's the alternative? I'd be puking from boredom if this were traditional turn-based like a reeeeeeeel Final Fantasy game. Maybe I should just loan Flip my account on the condition that he names his lalafell Iamflip Imaflip.)

Do DoTs do a stat check with each tick, or is the entire duration based on your stats at the moment you apply it? Not that it really matters to me, I guess, because Aero's damage is awful either way. All I've been the whole time was OK I trust the devs that putting this DoT on will increase my overall DPS. The tooltip for Aero doesn't even say how often it ticks for goodness sakes.

lalafell

Posted Image

Seriously I did mix them up a few times.

Edited by Dopple, 16 October 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#11 Hentai

Hentai

Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3675 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

DoTs only stat check on cast. The annoying thing about DoTs and HoTs is that is runs on a server clock and ticks ever 3 seconds but only when the server asks it. So they can tick immediately but won't tick at the last 3 seconds. Not too much of a problem with classes who put them in rotation like Bards and Summoner. Mildly annoying for classes who skip DoTs in their rotation.

I would also like for Flip to play this game. Because I want him to commentate Titan Hardmode.

#12 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

Oh, I was wrong. Cleric Stance isn't on the global, but latency does make it easy for nothing to happen or over-pressing...

#13 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

I wanted more offensive spells and you know what they gave me? Stone II, which is a Stone I that does about 20% more damage, is more expensive and lacks the snare component. Zzzzzzzzzz. Well, silly me hoping it'd be a new nuke to add to my rotation so I don't have to press the same few crap over and over again. And then the next offensive spell 16 levels away is Aero II, which is looking just as exciting as Stone II.

Ok Squenix, slightly more complicated rotations are all right as long as they're not this:

Spoiler

Even this isn't too terrible but one of the highest priorities is you have to keep up a buff (Savage Roar) and it can easily get buried under 23923019 other buffs on default UI. I have played one too because you get to be a kitty and they are cute.

Most games have you do some priority list as the above unless they just call for you to press a sequence of keys. Like even turn-based game aka Fractions And RNG Chess where you barely need to think more than 3 steps ahead. You let the dying guy get killed because he has annoying debuff and it takes more turns to clear it and get hps back up than res. And in some of them opponents won't complain if you think too long anyway and you can politely take turns attacking each other and maybe hold hands while you frolic off among daisies

#14 Hentai

Hentai

Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3675 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:28 AM

How to play scholar

Spoiler

#15 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

What's with stuff being hard to click on in this game anyhow? I play almost exclusively with my keyboard because of that.

How to heal as level 35 WHM

Tank will die if you don't heal him RIGHT NOW --> wtf ya'll been doing Cure II
Virus up --> Use Virus
Tank has 60% HP and will take hit within 2.5 seconds --> Cure II
You have below 35% HP --> Cure II
DPS has below 35% HP --> Cure II
Number of annoying status effects < 3 --> Esuna generally in order of: tank, yourself, DPS
Add attacking you or nearby ranged --> Fluid Aura --> Sleep
Add still attacking you --> Run to tank and hope he cares
Three people have 85% HP or below --> Medica
Tank has 85% HP and will take hit within 2 seconds --> Cure I
Heal anyone else in the meanwhile with Cure I
No mana --> Run around and heal the tank when available
Excess mana --> Reapply Aero at <3 seconds <-> Stone II

In summary: Zzzzzzzzz. Except when the tank spikes to 15% because he stood in some crap, I heal to be jumpy because it's better than being bored. Priority lists have a way of making things sound way more complicated than they actually are.

#16 Hentai

Hentai

Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3675 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

Looks like you have being a White Mage down except using Medica II over Medica I (when you get it) when your tank has enough threat and using Cure procs and never using Cure III unless it procs (even then you'll probably draw aggro over the tank so don't use it unless you're at the bottom of the table). And you're using Virus off cooldown so you're already better than half of the capped White Mages. Some spikes can't be avoided though for a tank. Not sure which ones in in the 30s but I know of the 100% -> 2% (if your dps is dumb) in Tonberry and the constant 50% -50% healing effect in Keep (if your Tank is dumb or Healer is dumb). Oh yeah, the Titan tank spike into AoE is funnnnn to heal through. I love Titan, I want to give him a hug.

Healing becomes a faceroll if you're geared. Well, so is everything when you're geared. Nevermind. Except for Hardmodes and Coil of Bahamut of course.

We should run Brayflox on my Black Mage. I promise to stand in poison to make it exciting.

Edited by Hentai, 24 October 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#17 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

It was the linear dragon breath in Brayflox's, the one you can avoid by walking a few steps to either side. Somewhat related, I'm interested that they use the exact same movement scheme as WoW down to the keybinds. I hope you removed keyboard turning as soon as you found out it existed, and replaced it with strafe. There's a surprising lack of keyboard turners in this game though. Probably because anybody who does that doesn't get to live very long, or maybe I just haven't noticed. Backpedals are slightly more common.

I just looked at my gear and noticed I'm still using almost all low 20 garbages. I'll probably look into gearing in a bit since stuff is taking longer and longer to kill.

and the constant 50% -50% healing effect in Keep (if your Tank is dumb or Healer is dumb).

gee you might as well say "if your tank is dumb or you are dumb"

I haven't played support in a while outside of PVP but I've got a pretty darn storied record of healing encounters where I could almost feel my hair coming out of their follicles. It'll take a lot to move me.

#18 Hentai

Hentai

Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3675 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

I have a ton of bad tank stories. Or just bad baddies stories. I was a pretty bad healer up to Steel Vigil mainly because my eyes were everywhere on the screen. Couldn't keep track of party debuffs. Couldn't cycle my Aetherflow efficiently (still guilty of that in harder runs). Stood in stuff. Healing pet placement. I highly recommend to customize your UI to your liking. I keep everything to the right of my character so I just slightly move my eyes to see if I need to dodge a cast.

#19 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

Yeah, situational awareness is one of the harder things to learn in a tab-target. PVP arenas would be a great crash course if they existed in this game.

In PVP you need to know:

- Where the enemy healer is, what they're doing, and more specifically what spell they're casting at any moment. Focus target is your friend here.

- Also what the other guys are doing and a general estimation of their cooldowns. You don't want to blow all your important abilities only to find that the warrior disarmed you and shieldwalled through everything. Unless your goal is to force cooldowns, leaving him vulnerable for the next time you burst.

- Your teammates' location and level of safety. (If you can't heal, you peel the enemy offence with CCs to take off pressure.) 

A common tactic's trapping the healer in a CC chain while the guy you're focusing has little to no defences left. You need to be careful you're just barely overlapping each one to maximise time-out, especially since some CCs share diminishing returns. Or you can also try surprise bursting someone else down before your opponents can react.

Mildly hyped for PVP in FFXIV if they can fix latency. If I don't die from boredom before then.

I used to get annoyed about telling apart debuffs and stuff like that, but now that I know what to look for, it's not that bad. I've generally shoved the HUD closer to the centre of the screen but I still rely a lot on peripheral vision for info. The only time I have problems is when I overestimate how much leeway I have with latency. Casting instants is so slow to register, it can interrupt my next spell.

#20 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Well my first month'll be up in the near future. I'm still not capped as white mage. They're like priests, except with none of the cool things. I might not main healer anymore and just go level dragoon because it seems like the white mage class is super oversaturated and its toolkit is dull anyway

I prefer fishing because then I can alt tab and read stuff and do homework between casts.

Edited by Dopple, 09 November 2013 - 04:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users