•         

- - - - -

Let's have some drama!

#1 Taxi

Taxi

Iron Hog

• Official Member

12 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

You know what these forums need? Some drama!

So, let's bicker about things that don't matter! Gang up on a single member for no other reason than "he's weird". Treat hacking in the game like it's a crime on the same level as genocide!

Go go go!
Posted Image

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • IGN:The Panda Man Can

12 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

Gang up on a single member for no other reason than "he's weird".

People may very well use something vapid like "That fellow there is an idiot," as the reason for their own negative behaviour. Or "he's weird," as you put it. But how elaborate a reason is mostly depends on its validity coming under fire. You'd get a "No, [x, y and θ reasons]!" in response to directing your criticism there.

The reasons aren't that important I don't think.

I think it's got more to do with social aspects: My friend(s) don't like this person which predisposes me to dislike him also; my friend(s) disapprove of this arbitrary behaviour... et cetera. It can take just one opinion to tip the scale in that direction. When you don't like someone, it's a lot easier to find everything he says and does annoying, as well as inflate his flaws while downplaying his merits. Then add the fact that people generally feel more secure acting as a group, and you have a pretty good recipe for a bandwagon. (The opposite is also true: if nobody agrees with a certain position, someone taking that position can feel pressured into reconsidering it, even if it's correct.)

But anyone can become a "sheep" under the right circumstances and environment, so I don't like to fling that kind of accusation around. It's really just people being people.

... Huh, this wasn't what the topic was supposed to be about, was it? I don't exactly have a storied record of drama following me.

Dopple loves you. Yes, you.

#3 Taxi

Taxi

Iron Hog

• Official Member

12 July 2013 - 11:39 PM

-snip-

That's a big wall of text! Do you really think somebody's going to read all that? You've got a lot of time on your hands! I bet you hack in Maplestory! gtfo nobody wants you here! Can't wait to defame you. :)
Posted Image

#4 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink

13 July 2013 - 12:29 AM

For a second I forgot what I was doing in here and was confused. Then I started laughing. You got me.

When I was over in Macau, many stalls were selling jerky as their main souvenir. I remember two of these shops, located directly across the street from each other. One of them was crowded, and the other was empty with its owners standing sullenly by the entrance, staring at the other side. This continued for about twenty minutes. So tourists would come by and see these two hubs receiving wildly different traffic, and they'd immediately assume that there was something wrong with the unpopular one. Then they'd go join the crowd, and the other store stayed perpetually empty, not because it sold bad wares, but because it was empty.

(On the way back, there was a turnaround on the flow of costumers and the previously popular store was experiencing a serious case of tumbleweeds while the other store prospered. I bought some from both and honestly couldn't tell the difference.)

TL;DR: Average people making judgements based on those of their peers.

#5 Taxi

Taxi

Iron Hog

• Official Member

13 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

For a second I forgot what I was doing in here and was confused. Then I started laughing. You got me.

When I was over in Macau, many stalls were selling jerky as their main souvenir. I remember two of these shops, located directly across the street from each other. One of them was crowded, and the other was empty with its owners standing sullenly by the entrance, staring at the other side. This continued for about twenty minutes. So tourists would come by and see these two hubs receiving wildly different traffic, and they'd immediately assume that there was something wrong with the unpopular one. Then they'd go join the crowd, and the other store stayed perpetually empty, not because it sold bad wares, but because it was empty.

(On the way back, there was a turnaround on the flow of costumers and the previously popular store was experiencing a serious case of tumbleweeds while the other store prospered. I bought some from both and honestly couldn't tell the difference.)

TL;DR: Average people making judgements based on those of their peers.

Going off-topic as usual. I can't wait for you to be banned for being an unfunny troll. :picopico:
Posted Image

#6 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink

13 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

On the contrary, I haven't received a single warning from the moment I signed up to this site!

I used to make friends with quite a few people who'd get banned. It was a bit of a sore point for me.

#7 Taxi

Taxi

Iron Hog

• Official Member

13 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

On the contrary, I haven't received a single warning from the moment I signed up to this site!

I used to make friends with quite a few people who'd get banned. It was a bit of a sore point for me.

You make friends with people who get banned? Those were obviously your trolling alts! Or accounts of innocent posters that you hacked!
Posted Image

#8 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink

14 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

Also on the contrary, I'm not good at trolling.

If we're talking about a hypothetical situation, though? I think subtlety is useful and overlooked. You wanna be abrasive enough to dig under people's skin, but not so overt that they can just get rid of you (for example, using the rules).

Posting shock images and flaming incoherently is easy and probably won't have much impact unless you're harassing eight year old children. There's more success to be found in the willful ignorance route, but a lot of the time they'll shrug you off or work harder to ban you.

It's a little more difficult to identify things that make a particular community or person tick, and exploit them. What makes your position more threatening is how valid it appears, and how close it is to striking home on something personal. At that point you can add on some ridicule, and you'll likely start seeing people get upset. I think really successful trolling isn't when others should refuse to respond, but when they can't.

#9 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink

19 July 2013 - 02:26 AM

I should add that I'm aware I've made some very broad generalisations for the sake of explanation. To clarify, I don't mean that I think every person who engages in a behaviour does so for the listed reasons. Of course it's not that simple.

For that matter, it'd be presumptuous of me to assume I have any one person figured out, let alone an entire group of people. If I recall correctly, a study showed a tendency for people to overrate their ability to read their friends, while underrating their friends' ability to read them (sorry, no citation). We only really mangle people in our heads. When others say "Oh, that's so like you," what they really mean is, "Oh, that's so like this perception I have of you." And I don't mean that in a cynical way. But I don't take gossip at face value because it only ever reflects more on the gossiper than the person being talked about.

#10 KabukimanNYPD

KabukimanNYPD

Stirge

• Members

11 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

10/10 best post on forum.