Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4421 posts
  • IGN:The Panda Man Can

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:19 PM

avbbasdsd

ddt6nsz-20112d5e-9d77-4c09-94f9-e98f95df

[edit] Wtf the post actually worked this time

Also hi. Work doesn't leave me with much energy, so here's my first and possibly only drawing this year, happy WoW character portraits for 2020. Not Worse:tm: clause still applicable.

Dopple loves you. Yes, you.

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#142 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4421 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 03:15 PM

Been trying some quick doodles. The kind where you grab a pen and go, letting yourself mess up as much as you like. About 90% of the hands I draw are mangled. Eh, just try again. Anatomy is deeply complex, and there's a lot more to it than proportions. Stuff's gonna look rubber and crooked sometimes, it's OK. It's really OK.

When I was younger, I'd get these occasional bouts of feeling awful about not being as good as I "should" be. Nowadays, I don't care much. After growing a bunch of skills from scratch, my perspective from those years ago is more or less settled:

Draw an owl. Then draw another owl. Then draw 100 owls. If you're somewhat critical while doing this, you can trust that mistakes will eventually correct themselves. For this reason, I don't get worried or upset about learning how to code. Sometimes it's a frustrating process, but that's just part of it. My comp sci friends can give up on me all they like!

Eventually I became a career software developer, because the process is the same. The good news is, you just have to put in time and focus. The bad news is that you have to put in time and focus. Either way, having a little more patience is more productive than beating yourself up.

Well, that's my solo soap boxing for now. Till next time!

FbG97Sb.jpg

J74qqjJ.jpg

#143 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4421 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 11:15 AM

Nanowrimo (50K word novel challenge) is one of those bucket items that I've thought about doing every once in a while. So even though it's not November, I went for it and wrote about 69K over 26 days. 

Of course the story is a complete disaster, that barely needs be said. When I arrived at a loss as to what to do with certain characters, they would vanish never to be mentioned again. It's a tale plagued by laziness, the worst disease to a craft. Also, the protagonists spent most of the time running around uselessly. They tried very hard but seemed incapable of doing anything right. Well, I wrote an ending and everything. They died, the end! Nobody's allowed to read it, so I'm a-spoilin'. I did occasionally question why I write stories like this.

Writing is >90% editing, anyhow. Even if I made an initial grind of 69K words, all it means is that I did sub-5% of the work. Nanowrimo is a feat, but not a great one.

On the bright side, that all made me want to doodle the cast! Here's the haul.

8vCceyH.jpg

fuLq7hF.jpg

Lol hands what are they?

jH0nCmF.jpg

I named this character after someone I saw randomly on the communications software my company uses. I don't even know her.

Tickles me to imagine, someone spots you in the cosmos and lo you become the villain of their story

2xp8M7j.jpg

Ursun Lahar, a real stuffy Pride-of-My-People type. I even went back and added an Ursun section to my name generator (wasn't sure why it didn't exist before) and did some refactoring, although "Lahar" isn't a legitimate name

4MHC22X.jpg

To hit the maximum adventure-trash dollar, there are these sad crystal dragons where you can get special powers if you kill them but only if you stab them in the eyeball(s). It's a really mean thing to do, but I needed an excuse for why the protagonist of my new story didn't die a horrible death between various life-threatening situations

SFwEgaS.jpg

if they live any longer they'll lose their limbs and end up like a grub

This line of thought made me laugh my butt off. PEAK EVOLUTION

KnS8jwE.jpg

> can't believe it didn't lose its wings first

maybe it still uses it to glide or hover across small canyons

Oooooh. Just believe, you can do it!

QiqOBhx.jpg

The Real Peak Evolution, im crying

#144 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4421 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:28 PM

Rounding off this thread with some crappy MIDI music, AKA: I threw a song into an auto-transcription program and spent the weekend trying to clean up the results despite having no real idea what I'm doing. You see, I have no sense of music theory, nor can I read notes, so leaning on robot crutches and other people's music is the best I can do. :'D

Listen here.

Oh, don't ask about the instrument choice... I have yet to hear a MIDI instrument that doesn't make my eyes water.

This program (costs $40 USD, I bought it) is really neat. Uses neural nets to discover the notes, gets almost everything--percussion, bass, accompaniments, what have you, and spits out 500% unplayable sheet music that looks something like this:

Spoiler

So it's up to you to add and excise notes for your crappy MIDI cover, which is still a non-trivial amount of work, since some scores can sound straight up unintelligible depending on complexity. One thing I've found is that I need way fewer notes than I think. When it comes to MIDIs at least, it's easy for the sound to get crowded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users