Photo

♥ ♥ ♥ Rengar ♥ ♥ ♥ cute kitty

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 Dopple

Dopple

Inline styles should be an extreme sport.

• Pink
  • 4387 posts
  • IGN:The Panda Man Can

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:57 PM

Following the tried and true tradition of neglecting homework, I made Discord slots with emotes. The first version had a 1/241743123 chance to win anything because every cell was independently generated. I put a lot of gory work into biasing it to have a better than 1/241743123 win rate! Comes in 3x3, 5x5, and MapleStory flavours. (There's also a 7x7 version that I think probably shouldn't exist.)

KM00hEE.jpg

But this other command I made seems to be much more popular for some reason

SF6xaCX.jpg

Dopple loves you. Yes, you.

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#122 Dopple

Dopple

• Pink
  • 4387 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:21 PM

Coding is quite a lot like other kinds of writing. Functions are like sentences, and classes are like paragraphs. Take this bit of wisdom:

Functions should do one thing. They should do it well. They should do it only.

Sounds like advice on how to structure a sentence, to me!

As for this month's features:

Scratch card, a simple luck-based game where you match 3 of the same tiles.

5IwbhBX.jpg

Hammerpot (which is really Final Fantasy XIV's Cactpot). You reveal some tiles, then do some mild sudoku to guess the highest paying line of numbers.

p0q4glu.jpg

Wait, this MONTH's features? A lot of stuff I've done isn't especially visible. I can even attribute a couple of days' work to troublemaking friends trying to break my input handler. "It's a duty," they say. "Never trust the user." Bah! (Plus I changed the algorithm for slots, but it's not super interesting, is it?)

Box drawing was some hardball ASCII etch-a-sketch. The plus side is that I can generate grids of any size now. That opens the possibility for Battleships, Omok, and other kinds of board games. I'm excited, even if nobody else is. :'D

#123 Dopple

Dopple

• Pink
  • 4387 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:21 PM

I spent the week recreating Blackjack for Discord. It's the biggest pile of spaghetti yet (as far as Rollbot features go). I started to feel the weight of technical debt when I was attaching the player join system... Well, combing it is a burden for another day. I have a midterm and somehow I don't care. D:

rncmZYl.png

Easy to add hundreds of lines of crap, not so easy to optimize them.

Blackjack is a mechanically simple game, but then you Google the rules and get literal essays on how to play it. Translate those rules into code, and now you have the code equivalent of an essay barfing itself out, where you catch the overflow in as many classes as you can. My poor BlackjackExecutor...

Not really related, but someone asked me how to get into drawing the other day. I'm a fan of this picture:

urAfrNx.jpg

You can even cut out the circles part--I hate starting with circles too. Draw an owl. Then draw another owl. Then draw 100 owls. If you're somewhat critical while doing this, you can trust that mistakes will eventually correct themselves. For this reason, I don't get worried or upset about learning how to code. Sometimes it's a frustrating process, but that's just part of it. My comp sci friends can give up on me all they like!

#124 Dopple

Dopple

• Pink
  • 4387 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:39 PM

Can I take a moment to rant about long, convoluted* sentences? Nothing makes me exit a story faster than seeing sentences that can't control themselves.

A foreword: they say the first rule of writing is that there are no rules. But with any craft, I like to think there are principles. Principles that explain, for example, why I can't use eye-blistering mosaic filters in my graphics. Or why I can't write a function called myFunction() that accepts five arguments and performs fifteen operations. Or, why I can't draw characters with faces that are three-quarters forehead, while claiming it's my style.

Why can't I write a sentence detailing the mental state of every character in the room?

Long, convoluted sentences often are a product of not knowing what's important--and probably, thinking that everything is important. Now the latter is technically true: you should consider every word in a sentence. But not all word classes are born equal, and not all parts of a sentence carry equal weight. 

- The most important words are the verbs and nouns**. Most others are glue. A sentence with weak verbs and nouns is like a trip between a used sandwich wrapper and a wet noodle. Slathering on more glue, or tossing in a banana peel isn't the solution. 

- The most important information should be placed at the beginning and the end, ie. applying the serial-position effect. For a sentence, usually the choice is an aforementioned verb or noun. That said, the problem with ending in a preposition isn't because it's grammatically incorrect (who cares?), but because it's weaker.

- Commas, em-dashes, etc. can break sentences into portions that are easier to parse. Punctuation is like magic when it comes to readability: not enough people believe in it.

Some deadly devices in convoluted sentences:

- Good old comma splice.

- Conjunctions. If combining two concepts 'A and B', they better be related. You can tell I'm serious, because I clicked italics and bold. Similarly, "while," "but," and the like--they better be legitimate comparisons or contrasts. And if they are related and legitimate, they better not be doing the job of a properly formatted paragraph.

Every so often, I see "and" tacked on a sentence, so it can plough on about something barely related, if at all. No, no, stop!

- Swamp of clauses/concurrent events. Check this bad boy out:

Frederick swallowed and his gaze flickers to Chrom as he sits frozen, stiff with his stomach clenched as it tried to squirm itself free inside him.

Gaze flickering -> sitting frozen -> stomach clenching -> stomach squirming

Holy moly! Two pairs of concurrent actions in a sentence. Even one can be too many. Let's painstakingly lay this out: a sentence is a series of words. A series is linear. For the most part, readers parse sentences linearly, ie. one event after another. Concurrent actions will then fail to be concurrent when parsed. You can imagine why it's fake news to claim that four things are happening at the same time.

Can you tell who the latter "he/his/him" are referring to? Because I can't. Also, what the heck is this person's stomach even doing? There are so many things wrong with this sentence... Makes me want to add more advice, like say what you mean.

-

*Long: more than 25 words. Convoluted: more than one idea. Mix 'em up for maximum disaster. Did I say something before about long sentences and Blizzard finalists? That story was about insanity. You may have insane punctuation if your story is insane.

**Verb and noun selection is an entire rant of its own. Maybe another time.

#125 Dopple

Dopple

• Pink
  • 4387 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:20 PM

For the first time in about 13 years, I uploaded a story to that cesspit, Fanfiction.net. It occurs to me maybe I could use some QA help, because the only fanfiction I write is for shows I don't watch and games I don't play.

Any interested

especially if you played Fire Emblem Awakening and/or Heroes

lol

I have two ongoing stories:

- One is a drama looking to run at around 15K words (my long-windedness doesn't trust this figure). You can find the debut here

- The other is a drama aiming for 60K, which I'll continue as soon as I find it less painful to patch the holes.

About halfway through the 60K drama, I finally watched a cutscene where an earthquake split the ground, and fissures spewed magma at fleeing protagonists. It was awesome, but it caught me off guard. Like crap, what is this? When did this even happen!?

Tahu finds my methods questionable, to say the least.

It's kind of a funny situation. We're both avid readers, but with wildly different tastes. He linked me a long azz story called "Mother of Learning," which had fantastic world-building but couldn't keep me long-term. The characters were mostly irritating (besides Ilsa, I wish she was every character in every scene), and I found the prose serviceable at best. If the level of physical detail was a spectrum, the needle for MoL would be wiggling at woefully anemic. For that matter, I was even thrilled to see something get "squashed like a grape" despite the phrase being a literary cliche, because MoL was that devoid of description.

Tahu also disagreed when I made a character whose sole purpose was to die. To quote, "You don't really feel a loss if that person dies since their existence is an afterthought."  Ya. The character knowingly drank poison that had three possible effects: power, insanity, or death. She ded. I think feeling sorry about her is optional. Somebody else in the story took it hard, maybe it doesn't always have to be you or me :-)

#126 Hentai

Hentai

Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3677 posts
  • IGN:Hentai

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:38 PM

Discussing and reading this story was a blast. I think I am like Tahu and prefer my stories in the macro world. But I've been fond of these characters and I'm pretty surprised that this take on these characters had not happened until recently. I think what sells me on character interaction is how believable it is for a character to do or say something. There wasn't much doubt in my mind that Robin and Lucina would do the things they did. Although I am interested with how their relationship will develop, I'm quite curious about how the world will take their exhilarating news. Ending a centuries long war over a marriage is kinda Romeo-Juliet-esque I think. Except, in this story, there is no suicide or creepy characters.... except Validar.

Hentai loves you. Yes, you.

#127 Dopple

Dopple

• Pink
  • 4387 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:43 PM

Except, in this story, there is no suicide or creepy characters.... except Validar.

Lmao Validar. Dude looks like banshee from World of Warcraft

The characterization has been an adventure, seeing as I wasn't even convinced that M Robin was an interesting character. He's like a potato. Fortunately, you can skin him in just about any way. All considered, I'm honoured you think they're in character. :angel:

#128 Dopple

Dopple

• Pink
  • 4387 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:01 PM

I wonder how it is that 90% of the people in my groups seem to be busy with everything in their lives except for the project we're sharing. I wonder where they go when they graduate. ("Nowhere" is the word, but I'm not so certain.)

Yesterday, I got home from work and went almost straight to refactoring/adding audio options to my final project's Youtube downloader interface. At 12 am my brain fritzed out, so I edited my writing instead for another two hours. That late at night, my story was really not entertaining to reread.

Here's a doodle I didn't share from quite some time earlier:

hammer_by_nepharus-daw0u2q.jpg

#129 Dopple

Dopple

• Pink
  • 4387 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:55 PM

Does anybody want to see my school project? Um, I think it was a pretty cool idea. It's UI for the command line library, Youtube-dl. The project has a few other video tools too, but mostly I wrote this one. So instead of going to your terminal and typing some query to download a video, like "youtube-dl -f [Format Code] [url] -o \[File Name]\," you can click some widgets instead and it will generate and run the query for you.

Y0mZXxm.png

Normally, you write some such query for "Ok Youtube-dl, what's the download options for this URL," and Youtube-dl barfs a block of text in your console. I took the text and parsed stuff like extension and resolution, so you can get options in the box instead. If it sounds nasty is because it was nasty.

8PPIQTr.png

Also there is audio only option which is really a video rip n' convert query, because the true "audio only" options were bad.

igEueny.png

Download!

624wFLh.png

idk why desync progress % but it was really fast anyway

3iSOtsG.png

6KuW2jR.png

The Kaine Salvation live arrangement is amazing btw, everybody should listen to it

#130 Dopple

Dopple

• Pink
  • 4387 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:16 AM

Since I had a little grace period between finishing school and starting full time work, I flew off to Orange County for a week. Palm trees everywhere! Sunshine! Terrible drivers!

One evening, Hentai and I abducted Antagonist. He looked like a normal human being. We went to a sushi place where the sushi arrived on trains.

MnC3JCZ.jpg

pnCOCSE.jpg

Magic Touch Bullet Train something. The food was great and reasonably priced (for USD).

There's Antagonist's neat little origami chopstick stand on the side of the second photo. Oh, everybody was good with chopsticks. I can't even tease Hentai about his chopstick skills anymore after so many years.

Toward the end of the meal, Hentai and I began rudely texting in front of Antagonist, because we were plotting to steal the bill. It worked, but only because the waiter looked confused, and Hentai stuck out his hand faster.

We went to a tea place afterward. Antagonist explained his revenge plan to stand in line in front of us so he could pay. It worked because he did it so discreetly. Then we read terrible fanfiction out loud, which was super fun. You know, I can't imagine why anyone would dislike "the pnik kimono love girl," as with most terrible fanfiction, it's a series of unfortunate jokes that you'd never find elsewhere. (Well, Tahu doesn't like it because he doesn't have any sense of humour. I figure he doesn't even like the classic "Half Life: Full Life Consequences," which is a fantastic illustration of said unfortunate jokes.) In any case, I love the really bad stuff. It's the mediocre in-betweeners comprising 95% of fanfiction that I can't stand.

#131 Dopple

Dopple

• Pink
  • 4387 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

I had my second chapter drafted out at the beginning of last month, but I never felt satisfied with it. Then its word count somehow grew 2.5x, and things were getting ridiculous, so I threw the chapter up anyway. There it is. Man, these reviewers are asking hard questions and getting excited over stuff I don't know the answer or outcome to. The progression of events has already surprised me on several occasions, especially with that little imp, Robin. Why is he funny? To give an idea on my shortsightedness, I didn't even know Chrom had died until Lucina said so. A few people have also wondered if the story is set during the events of "The Future Past." What is that? Also, probably not.

I asked Tahu if he wanted to read my fanfiction, but he'd just be my number one hater again. ;D (He's the number one hater of my coding skills, wouldn't have it another way.)

The more I learn about these characters, the more I suspect I don't like them. I mean, have you seen some of the game dialogue? Jesus. So I didn't entirely avoid doing some research, although character biographies are still :sick:. Too much abstraction. Too full of other people's opinions. I don't wanna read character biographies, and I most certainly don't write them. I did spend some time looking at photos of burning houses and reading this dry ass "Sword in One Hand" manual, though.

#132 Dopple

Dopple

• Pink
  • 4387 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:38 AM

Some Folks don't agree that interface design is similar to graphic designI like to think of interfaces as a class of graphic design, which is a class of visual design, which is mostly applied psychology and cognitive science, which is all design.

Graphic design has three components: text, images, and space. If the question has to do with those, it's a probably question of graphic design. For example, let's take what you're reading: a forum post... with some text, images, and space. Holy moly, it's graphic design! So maybe visuals move around sometimes, maybe you can click buttons and other widgets that take you places. But wherever those components are laid out -- text, images, space -- there's graphic design. It's everywhere, let alone in web and interface (which are close enough as to be almost the same thing, if you ask me).

Fun thought: what does graphic design have to do with writing? When you see something like this and instinctively don't wanna read it, it's a graphic design problem.

6iX0yOY.png

I realize I've sarcastically mentioned before that "you can totally know if you like a piece of writing before you've even read it," but you can tell a lot from the way the author treats the text formatting and the first sentence. Because if even the first impression is lazy, it'll only get worse. (Also re: summaries on fanfiction.net. Stories with descriptions that say, "I suck at writing summaries," are a time saver. At least the author is honest about not knowing what's the point of their story or how to write concisely.)

So there aren't images, but formatting a piece of text is still in the neighbourhood of graphic design. In this case, the formatting indicates a serious rambling problem, so skipping over it is an easy choice. Classes Paragraphs should have one responsibility!

Fun thought 2: what does graphic design have to do with coding? When my friend writes a function like the following, and I feel as though I should approach it with the safety of a 5 foot pole, it's a graphic design problem.

async def determine(self):
   """Determines the winner or loser of a game. If there is a tie, it will reroll for them."""

self.player_rolls.sort(key=lambda roll: roll[1])

lowest = self.player_rolls[0][1]
   lowest_rollers = []
   low_index = 0
   while low_index < len(self.player_rolls) and self.player_rolls[low_index][1] == lowest:
      lowest_rollers.append(self.player_rolls[low_index][0])
      low_index += 1

highest = self.player_rolls[len(self.player_rolls) - 1][1]
   highest_rollers = []
   high_index = len(self.player_rolls) - 1
   while high_index >= 0 and self.player_rolls[high_index][1] == highest:
      highest_rollers.append(self.player_rolls[high_index][0])
      high_index -= 1

loser = lowest_rollers[random.randint(0, len(lowest_rollers) - 1)]
   winner = highest_rollers[random.randint(0, len(highest_rollers) - 1)]

result = [loser, winner]
   return result

Stuff like this = is[kind.of, (hard - to_follow)][!], and it's not because brackets and equal signs are innately intimidating. Like the ten-ton brick of text, this example can be broken down into more digestible chunks, with a clearer visual hierarchy (eg. more functions), clearer labeling (eg. more variables), more white space, and if we want to nitpick, a more consistent rag.

A7OXUfk.png Btw. I mean line lengths.

As far as my limited knowledge goes, long written lines (functions, classes, and comments in code; sentences and paragraphs in writing) are a pretty accurate indication of an organizational problem. Not that I deserve to rail on my friend, of course. :D I love showing people my first programming effort, which has earned comments such as "What the actual love":

if (

sy1 > 350 && sy2 > 350 && sy3 > 350 || sy1 > 350 && sy2 > 350 && sy4 > 350 ||
sy1 > 350 && sy2 > 350 && sy5 > 350 || sy1 > 350 && sy2 > 350 && sy6 > 350 ||
sy1 > 350 && sy3 > 350 && sy4 > 350 || sy1 > 350 && sy3 > 350 && sy5 > 350 ||
sy1 > 350 && sy3 > 350 && sy6 > 350 || sy1 > 350 && sy4 > 350 && sy5 > 350 ||
sy1 > 350 && sy4 > 350 && sy6 > 350 || sy1 > 350 && sy5 > 350 && sy6 > 350 ||

This bit is like a sentence that goes, "And the dog was fluffy, and the dog was fast, and the dog was brown, and the dog liked to chase the tennis ball, and...", except worse, because you don't even get to know that it's a dog, or what the dog is doing (spoilers: it isn't a dog, and it isn't doing anything).

On another note, coding Blackjack was a lot like explaining the game to somebody who doesn't have any concept of a deck, or cards, or how to play. It's not the machine's (or another programmer's) fault if it doesn't understand me or want to read my crap, it's my fault. Absolutely like actual writing.

#133 Dopple

Dopple

• Pink
  • 4387 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:11 AM

Hi, I'm back (temporarily)! It's been a while. Here's the latest mishmash of 10 cent ideas. I almost forgot how pleasant drawing was sometimes. At this point, I think it's less about getting better and more about not getting worse.

sdjfsaj_by_nepharus-dcdf2qf.png

Coming up with these was a lot of fun.

- "We should have an owl with horns." Sure, what element? I think lightning would be good. "Yeah, lightning would work." And it'll be green. Green owl with horns! Yes!

- Felix's bone pattern bandanna was a nice touch, and it wasn't something I could come up with.

- A couple of my oldest OCs are here, at least in spirit. Most notably, I made Rainatu when I was 13. Not that I'd trust 13 year old me for anything, but I felt that Rainatu was fun and ok to redraw with minimal changes.

- I asked Discord to name the last one. They gave me super-cute names like "Toto," "Rex" and "Rocky." Now he is Rex, literally that guy from Xenoblade Chonicles 2!

I had more to say, but it's late now. See you next time.

#134 Dopple

Dopple

• Pink
  • 4387 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:25 PM

Cataloguing a few of Rollbot's recent (but not really new) features:

1) Bombtile, a spinoff of scratch card, where if you reveal the bomb (<!>) then you lose money. We played this for about an hour, and Tahu lost almost every game. At numerous points, he had no more money to give us. Highway robbery.

jFDLWFa.png

2) Did I say lose money? Ya, you can lose money to people now (via Amazon's Dynamodb, not that it's particularly interesting how I did it). Currency can't go negative, so Tahu's losses are under-reported.

Zi1wB4w.png

3) Pokeslots: mostly a reskin, with Ditto wildcards. Tahu says he doesn't do ideas, but Ditto was a great idea!

KjqDtL9.png

#135 Dopple

Dopple

• Pink
  • 4387 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:45 PM

I've been developing a new Discord bot that I call "Pokimanz." It's a ripoff of Pokemon you can play by clicking reaction emojis. For real, though:

Battle!

OMaz3mh.gif

Use items or something!

z9nDaUa.gif

So far it's playable, but that's about it. :^) Programming projects seem to make for some disadvantaged post content. They're more time-consuming and less visible than an illustration. Three weeks was about the longest time I've spent on a drawing, while three weeks on Pokimanz didn't get me very far -- certainly nothing playable. It impressed me how hard some parts of Pokimanz were, despite two years(!!) having passed since I made the JavaScript Tofu RPG. I spent several weeks stumped about the logger issue (the part where you see attacks playing out in the gif), until Tahu gave me a sensible idea.

So yeah, here's what I've been doing for the last 4 months, between work hours and a few weeks off drawing Rex and friends up there. 

Oh, now that I've mentioned work, there are a few things about it I dislike: 1) I don't have as much time to do fun projects such as Pokimanz, 2) I have fewer things to talk about that aren't work-related, and 3) I swear I've become stupider from the lack of sleep.

#136 Dopple

Dopple

• Pink
  • 4387 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:19 AM

It bothers me a little that I'm disappointing some 74 people by not updating my fanfiction. I mistakenly thought I had a bigger content lead than I did, and chapter 2 burned me out by the amount of time I spent on it. Whether the investment was worth it or not, eh. I sure got some weird fan mail though.

Then Pokimanz came along, then Battle for Azeroth came along, two big nails for the coffin. Oh, I did get Pokimanz PVP working. A match with Hentai (team of 4 randomly generated level 30 monsters) took a solid 30 minutes, despite that it consisted of me utterly rolling him because I made the game. I had reduced ability damage because I thought the overall damage output was too high, but err, clearly the game is too slow.

I don't think Pokimanz is going to make it to alpha any time soon. The current problem spot is menus. I have everything I need to make them, but they are as tedious and uninteresting as they are unfortunately necessary.

So I ran away from menus in the interim and instead made a simple fantasy name generator for NPCs. It gave me "Baitanalfun" after 4 tries. I also received "Thorthekauk." Most of the names are pretty passable, though, give or take a few adjustments:

Spoiler

I wonder if I ought to make it a small standalone thing sometime.

#137 Dopple

Dopple

• Pink
  • 4387 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:34 AM

I wonder if I ought to make [fantasy name generator] a small standalone thing sometime.

Oh, GitHub kindly lets me host crappy little webpages. I guess we can slap something together. https://hammerlord.g...eNameGenerator/

(src is https://github.com/H...leNameGenerator)

I hadn't written much vanilla JS in a while, so the syntax Googlefu was real

Should've have added a 'report stupid results' link while I'm at it. I'd also like to deal with triple duplicate characters sometime, but not at this time of night

** I forgot to mention that this doesn't work on Internet Explorer. Lol Internet Explorer.

#138 Dopple

Dopple

• Pink
  • 4387 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:09 AM

I noticed you can add a little image to your story, so I made one. I'm sure that's what everybody wants to see instead of actual content, right?

i_am_by_nepharus-dcphe2w.png

Grima is an awful villain, so I more or less pretend he doesn't exist in my interpretations. (To be clear, I mean that Grima the concept exists, but homeboy “I AM...DESPAIR...”  doesn't.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users