118 replies to this topic

#101 Tichondrius

Tichondrius

HELP, MY NAME IS HOPELESS AND I'M STUCK IN TICH'S BODY

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 8473 posts
  • IGN:Frawr

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:15 AM

Wow. Your art is superb, and the progression over the years is clear.

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#102 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:56 PM

Oh, thank you. I'd been having a bad day.

New version of the forest.

the_weald__long_version__by_nepharus-d9j

Dopple loves you. Yes, you.

f_by_nepharus-d7fbwoh.png

#103 Tichondrius

Tichondrius

HELP, MY NAME IS HOPELESS AND I'M STUCK IN TICH'S BODY

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 8473 posts
  • IGN:Frawr

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:59 PM

Scrolling left to right I was like, I'd live there...  And then BAM, world's biggest nope hive.

#104 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:58 PM

Now I'm not sure I want to explain [graphic design] elements like balance, gestalt, hierarchy, or insert fifteen more things...

I'll rescind that for a moment. 

If you've taken a gander around the signature subforum, you've probably noticed that people liked to put words in their signatures. Sometimes these words were a character or person's name, other times a nonsensical slogan. (On that second one, "GET OUT OF MY HEAD HANCOCK" with an Iron Man(?) graphic comes to mind.)

Whichever the case, signature creators often stuck on their text without much sense of where or why.

I made it, so my name obviously goes in the corner.

> Since I used a Cloud Strife graphic, I should put the words 'Cloud Strife' somewhere on here. Hmm... let's rotate the text a random number of degrees and float it over Cloud's shoulder. 

Oh I know, I'll lower the opacity on the text so it looks cool and blends in with the rest of the image.

> whatever man I already have 432948 things to worry about and they all involve filters

But with this neat trick, you, too, can figure out how to size and place your text less randomly!

Here's something I swiped off the kitchen counter and will henceforth use as an example:

2Ddcz2k.jpg

What's this, it's just an insurance pamphlet? 

Check the positions of the elements, and you'll see that they line up pretty closely, whether they've been positioned that way or resized to match:

7xUN7ni.jpg

Not an accident. You'll notice this trend across street ads, magazines, presentation slides that don't suck, and other commercial graphics. 

What about compositions light on text and heavy on images, like those signatures I just spent most of this "guide" railing on? The principles are relatively the same, just maybe not as clearly defined as anchoring text to text. You can choose an edge of the image, an edge of a figure in the image, or any centres of focus as potential anchoring points.

And there you have it, one of the ways you can tell whether somebody knows what they're doing or not. This is obviously far from the only compositional element, and each element is only part of a greater ecosystem, but I'll continue next time. Or if ever.

#105 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:10 PM

Last drawing for the year! Request was "Our Warcraft characters sharing a drink." I changed my DK's wardrobe beforehand, so that spared me from drawing the same outfit for the fourth time.

dohoho_by_nepharus-d9m8vrw.png

And here's a smudgy gif of the process. I took it pretty easy this time, 5-6 hours a day / 3 days. (Pretty easy, if you consider I've done the following: 10 hours every day for a week, 5-9 hours almost every day for 3 weeks, and 20 hours straight.)

processanimation_by_nepharus-d9m8wl9.gif

Come to think of it, this would've been scandalizing if I interpreted "sharing a drink" as a single deluxe milkshake.

#106 Hentai

Hentai

Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3675 posts
  • IGN:Hentai

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:24 AM

Your textures look great. You bring life to the panda's fur and the characters' beards. I also have a sense of what material the characters' armors are made from. Even down to the mugs. It would seem like I could feel the oak (or some other wood) if I brush my finger along the mug.

I get a good sense of improvement when I set the piece side by side with cute kitty Rengar. I also like that piece a lot but in here we see much more depth in the fur and it feels sharper.

I love the piece and the flavor of it all.

Also, do Death Knights get drunk? They're uhhh... dead.

Hentai loves you. Yes, you.

#107 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:36 AM

You bring life to the panda's fur and the characters' beards.

Yeah, the beard's the only part of my character that's alive, alright!

Thanks for the feedback. I spent a couple years using texture brushes, now I've put them away again. Been trying to stomp out the laziness.

... On the topic of laziness, probably the biggest roadblock to improvement I've seen is the fear of producing crap. I get a lot of "yeah... I only spent 10 minutes on this..." from groupmates and friends. Like if they put effort on something for once, they might be revealed as mediocre frauds. Oh no! Honestly--if you're compelled to create, better just do it. Make crap, douse critique with salt. Improvement is largely a numbers game. The magic n being the hours you put into it.

#108 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:38 AM

First one of the year. I saw this guy as I was falling asleep, but he was much more vibrant and handsome in my dreams. 

forest_wyrm_by_nepharus-d9mxhww.png And a lot less wrinkly.

#109 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:16 AM

Lol I got so mad at this drawing. You know the saying, YOU MAD 'CAUSE YOU BAD? It's actually a good sign because then you know you're practicing something you're weak at. Keep at it until everything hurts, and there you have a good workout! I'm in a near-constant state of tendinitis. 

rumble_in_the_street_by_nepharus-d9oza2k

Completely irrelevant rambling below:

For the past year, I've been listening to Revo's symphonic metal album, Roman. Its theme is about a fellow named Laurant who, having died before his birth, contemplates the world that he wasn't able to see. He sends his burial dolls to find for him the story of his life ("roman"). 

My favourite story is the Invisible Arm one. It goes like this: there are these two guys called Laurant, one with red hair and one blond. They meet on a battlefield. Blond Laurant gets his arm lopped off by red hair Laurant. Blond Laurant can't fight any more, so he gets discharged from the army. At home, his pain is so terrible that he drinks way too much, can't hold a job, and beats his lover. Blond Laurant's behaviour reaches the point that his lover, having fallen pregnant and fearing for her child's upbringing, leaves him. 

Now all alone, blond Laurant decides the only way to reconcile his thoughts is to hunt red hair Laurant. Upon hearing a rumour about red hair's whereabouts, blond Laurant sells his house for a sword and a horse, and goes galloping to a tavern. As he arrives, he can hear raucous laughter. Blond Laurant enters the building to discover red hair lounging around, missing an arm, and drinking himself silly.

While blond Laurant is startled, some other guy called Laurencin sprints in. Laurencin stabs red hair Laurant dead, and runs away laughing. Blond Laurant realizes he just got his revenge pulled from under him, and now he has no purpose. He wonders how many soldiers he has driven mad in a similar fashion, and decides that at least his pain is proof of him being alive. Song ends with him pouring a drink.

Anyway, most of the songs are tragedies, so I wonder if otherworld Laurant is glad he was never born into that mess. 

Utsukushikimono (Beautiful Things) is my favourite song in the album. It's about somebody's dead younger brother. 

Spoiler

#110 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:56 PM

nightfang_by_nepharus-d9qbk5i.png

I picked "demons" as the theme, because it means I get to draw all the cute monsters I want. These guys like to roam the streets in packs and feed on dead bodies. :)

#111 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:47 PM

mr__v_by_nepharus-d9qe4tk.png

Boring pose 2. His name is Mr. V and he lives in a very red mansion.

I don't feel good about the space around his legs. :/

#112 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:04 PM

Programmer insists on finding a game designer. OK. Man this is simultaneously the easiest and hardest position to fill. So many wannabes and flakes and flaky wannabes. Finding someone either reliable or skillful is rare enough, both is a unicorn. 

#113 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:39 AM

This unremarkable drawing got out of control.

saber_by_nepharus-d9ukfhk.png

lol Kill me

My friend say, hey you draw noses too high. Ohhhh, I do! To be honest I haven't used line guides in a long time, and I never used them often to begin with. These days I only do it to check for egregious things like misaligned shoulders. I could have avoided some persistent problems if I had done that more. xD

#114 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:16 AM

Momoomommooomoo

Thanks for commissioning me, I hope you like it

breeze_by_nepharus-d9v6b2f.png

#115 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:36 AM

It's been a long unannounced hiatus, and I still don't feel too much in a hurry. Have some dragons.

dragons_by_nepharus-daq6akk.png

I was writing a story about dragons too. It's far from complete, but my attention span only lasts for about a month. (Although, I did spend three months of my absence on a horrid semi-functional RPG.) You could call it a half-hearted attempt at a nanowrimo... I don't think I could ever win that thing, even if drafts are a quantity game.

Some statistics on the story:

Number of words: 20338

Average word length: 4.30 letters

Number of commas: 1385

Avg number of commas per sentence: 0.660 (estimate)

Avg sentence length: 9.68 words (estimate)

I like short sentences. They're comfy and easy to parse. Well, I once read a Blizzard fanfiction finalist where every sentence was a paragraph-long, comma-splicing monstrosity. It was an amazing experience, so I don't necessarily have anything against long sentences, but most things are not that story.

Word frequency count:
1239 the
194 was
147 said
71 were

[more prepositions and pronouns]

> 194 was, 71 were

So much for trying, I guess :D. Not to suggest that you shouldn't use state of being verbs, but there's usually a better choice. Nobody gets to read the dragons story anyway, so maybe it's ok.

#116 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:41 PM

Here's another one. I removed it from the previous picture because it didn't fit (compositionally, and not a character from the story afaik). At least it kinda gets its own thing.

sky_dragon_by_nepharus-dar3jzu.png

I'll also admit I've been on and off working on some terrible fanfiction. It's about a character I don't really know, from a series I haven't watched (besides like 3 episodes). I'm not bothered by this tbh, which is probably why it's terrible. Look at some pictures, read some spoilers, read some dialogue lines, ya good

#117 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

Not really an update, Discord was sharing doodles

Hentai's:

QlSP8Mh.jpg

Antagonist's:

ZuBgVfR.jpg

Mine:

ezmQ7Af.jpg

I did enjoy that even though none of us draw much lately.

#118 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:47 PM

Guess who still doesn't draw lately? Meeee

Obligatory not-really-an-update. If you remember

(Although, I did spend three months of my absence on a horrid semi-functional RPG.)

I should elaborate that I hacked together a text-based browser game:

O39QFCU.png

You can encounter random Tofus, kill them with a variety of abilities and spells, gain loot, and level up/add stats. What's more, Tofus have abilities too, beyond plain attacking like the above. Sometimes, they even cruelly whip their friends (-HP, +ATT buff)! Don't ask me where I got that one from.

There are four classes, but I never got them all working at once. Warrior, mage and priest were each running their own gnarly abomination of a skill set (not even the worst part tbh :D). But then I spent about two weeks redoing the game, so only warrior and ranger are in these days. They're all really fun, because I'm really biased.

With the help of twigs, masking tape, and a hammer, skills are working just like their description says. 

Spoiler

As for why everything is Tofu, that's because I'm making representations of my coding woes, and they happen to be named some variation of Therealtahu. Speaking of Therealtahu, he even told me recently, "You improved."--which is the nicest thing he has ever said about my code!! Something about hammering until things stick.

The game is probably broken right now (in terms of running it). At least, I got an open issue on Github from Tich that says

I can't fight the tofu
Help 

So I think it is broken. But even if it isn't broken, it's largely unfinished, so maybe one day.

Lately I've been over at Discord, which more or less explains my prolonged absence here. It's a good time. Sometimes we hop into a channel, sit around to music, and try to coax Antagonist Bardulf into saying "astrologian." Join! 

While we're on the subject of Discord, I spent an afternoon on a script to "play" an RPG bot.

pCcd57k.png

Battle of the state machines! Prior to this script, I made a stupid version that blindly entered commands on a timer and got me killed a few times. The new one parsed my health and used potions. The commands fired really close to cooldown and I ran this thing for about 10 hours, so I got banned of course. Maybe too much "could I" and a little not enough "should I... put in some human-like behaviours you know?"

Oh, you may notice some parallels between the RPG bot and the browser RPG. Well the RPG bot didn't really have any gameplay at all (my script loop was like 50 lines) so I just went and made my own game instead. There you have it, the humble origins of a months-long project.

Since I obviously couldn't use that script anymore, I made another one, that's kind of like, umm...

FRm8sYm.png

Well it answers questions, and if Yes/No are tied at the end it's supposed to say Maybe. But I forgot to remove something so it was (in)correctly announcing Hammer as the winner. 

yNt7GCm.png

THAT'S RIGHT

I did say join our Discord, didn't I? Yes, please join us, we love you!

#119 Dopple

Dopple

Shapp-shifter

• Pink
  • 4341 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:02 AM

I went through this thread again, and enjoyed it a lot (darn but I do laugh my butt off at my own posts, shameless), so now I regret not maintaining it as well as I used to. Most of the reason is really just not having any new drawings to share. For the past year, instead of breaking my back drawing, I've been breaking my back coding--and sometimes writing, when it suits my addled, typo-prone brain.

Anyway, obligatory not-an-update x3. I'm putting this up, because Hentai convinced me to repost my character's side of Crunchy Apple. Crunchy Apple is also known as the Dragon Nest roleplay hosted here 5-6 years ago, in a sub-forum now lost to MapleTip purgatory. The roleplay vaguely followed Dragon Nest's main storyline (which we'd largely forgotten by then), and used some existing NPCs (in name, never mind their actual personality). In a way, I'm thankful the original has been gone long enough that I can get some distance. It was a real needle in my head before. 

So earlier in this thread, I'd already posted something about Crunchy Apple along with a copy of the intro. 

I've been thinking of rehosting my Crunchy Apple posts. You remember Crunchy Apple, where my character wakes up and starts expositing with a disturbing amount of adverbs and adjectives:

Spoiler

Here's the rest, in the worst format ever:

Spoiler

3. (Context: The other character, Rhea, scorches the blacksmith for doing a poor job.)
Spoiler

Spoiler

5. Flashback
Spoiler

Spoiler

7. (Rhea makes a snowman and Ary finds it.)
Spoiler

Spoiler

9. (The other character takes the staff.)
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

15. Another flashback
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

It's a 'Dragon Nest roleplay' in a loose sense of the term. I mentioned something about being forgetful, right? We used some of the lore and characters, but a lot of it was making random things up.

Well, some details were true: there was an important relic that got stolen, only I never recalled what it was, or why, or who wanted it. Sorceresses and clerics were gender-locked, and those groups did have animosity with each other. And Cedric was some sort of traitor (along with another guy, but that was just an excuse to make you run the same dungeon twice and have the 'revelation' that two separate clerics were dragon cultists).

Some things that were actually not correct:

- The dwarf was not a dwarf and did not have a Scottish accent. I just assumed so because I looked at his model and decided to be racist. Ary and I have something in common there.

- I'm pretty sure the clerics never got booted out of Frost Valley, at any point in history. Their rivalry with the sorceresses traces back to a pair of siblings who happened to be the first cleric/sorceress.

Some Cereal Liberties with NPC backstories (meaning they're pretty much not true):

- Cynthia and Thomas were friends along with a third companion, an elven archer. One day, they were accosted by a minotaur. The elven archer got cornered, Thomas hesitated to save her, and she died. Cynthia blamed Thomas ever since. Once she wrested control over Frost Valley, she kicked all the northern division clerics out.

- Now that I've mentioned the northern division, I should also clarify that it's not a thing. And neither are any other divisions of clerics, for that matter.

- Cedric doesn't actually care about sorceresses, let alone would he get upset by being near one. Definitely no ideas about salvation, or vaguely well-meaning intentions from him. He was a crazy mook and that was the extent of it.

- There is no corruption in the Brotherhood, at least not the world-shattering kind alluded to.

Some things that were going to happen, but didn't for lack of continuation:

- A dragon blows up Carderrock (some level 10 town, I'm not sure I got the name right). Ary loses all his lightning powers and his faith. I regret this one the most, because it would have been awesome. I love evil dragons blowing things up and ruining everybody's lives.

- Ary kills Thomas. Ah, yeah--Ary wasn't a very nice fellow despite being a cleric, and he wasn't going to get better.

Random trivia:

Ary has the same name as a character from another story I read, but there are no real similarities between them. To begin with, the other Ary was kind and soft-spoken. He also got murdered a la Jason from Friday the 13th, except that Jason was called Clint, and Clint was an otter. (I also liked how "Ary" sounded like a pet-name, when Crunchy Apple Ary's xenophobic and violent tendencies weren't exactly endearing.)

Phew, that's the end of archiving the last piece of writing I ever shared publicly. Not too bad an experience, all told.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users