144 replies to this topic

#61 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts
  • IGN:The Panda Man Can

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

I got complaints about why I didn't work straight-away on the project instead of some random thing, to which I answered:

e1a7JM6.jpg

What the love is this? It's the earliest iteration of Moofi that I saved. Just because it happened to turn out sorta alright didn't mean it started that way. But modelling isn't even the hard part, it's the easiest part. Texture mapping, lighting and animating are all more annoying. 

I've been doing experimental stuff lately, which means a whole lot of churn and not a whole lot of actual progress. Most of the crap I tried didn't work or wasn't up to standards. That's normal.

QWNvoWI.jpg

wY8lCxx.jpg

srOUcPu.jpg lol it's like playing with plastic dinosaurs

On a different note. It's just me or people keep having this Persona Amateur Hour where they think they need to use the pen tool 'cuz anime, then throw a gradient over the face and they don't know why they do it. I've only seen evidence of the pen tool in a small fraction of anime drawings. Granted I don't spend much time looking at anime drawings, but it seems more a western misinterpretation than anything.

The pen tool is an amateur trap. Same with gradients, drop shadows and airbrushing. These things aren't a shortcut to some semblance of "style," they're crutches that inhibit understanding line and depth. 

Dopple loves you. Yes, you.

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#62 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:14 AM

I'm not off free, I'm just ill and don't really wanna do much today. Maybe some faces practice with various old OCs/PC across the years because I can't stand looking at the vast majority of my human character drawings and I should expend more mental energy figuring out why.

I virtually never talk about my characters and I'm not going to start any time soon, but let's just say I have a fleet of them and leave it at that.

fsafsafiajaiga_by_nepharus-d87xrc2.jpg That's me on the top right!

sfamfkanfma_by_nepharus-d881g27.jpg

#63 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:42 PM

What happens when you spend a long time on something, but you don't know what in the world you're doing and neither does anybody else. Then it's finally in front of you, and you realize how blatant the issues are.

http://vimeo.com/114335518

Sometimes I think about how my program is a cop-out major, as much as you let it be one, because you have to try in order to fail anything that isn't calculus. On the other hand, it's very time consuming. Say if you were to spend five hours studying or writing an essay, you're about guaranteed to make some sort of progress. But here it's five hours of OMG wHY ISn't THIS WORKING??, half a dozen times across the project. 

Most of the time was spent fixing technical issues like things crashing, or scaling out of control, or growing crazy spikes, or the rigging falling off, or random discolouration, and stuff. Again, feel free to laugh (at us). Also, the only 3D part I animated was the big thing near the end so it's not like I did everything.

Btw that's not me, I don't have a vimeo. The only YouTube account I have is full of video game music.

#64 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:47 PM

I bet Largo would've been an order of magnitude more popular if they gave him eyebrows instead of ridiculously pronounced eyebrow-muscles. They also could've gone with a lion-y facial structure, but they didn't do that either. Reminds me roegadyn in FFXIV were supposed to look like lion people instead of green humans, until they realized that sort of thing doesn't sell in Japan, so all the races are humans with various builds and ears. 

Well, I guess you could say it's a "redesign," but I find it more like laying out a few thoughts I've had every now and again. Though I could change his hairstyle and technically call him a different character.

the_desert_lion__badaq_by_nepharus-d8agq

Now if people would stop pairing themselves their awful OCs with characters from the game that'd be fantastic.

#65 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:17 PM

I came across this OC meme and thought it'd be fun. Except I'm bad at figuring out where to draw the line when it comes to low fidelity stuff and kept changing things. At the end, half of them looked like they were drawn by somebody else, so I went back and tried to rein in some of the crazy valleys.

Source: http://harteus.tumbl...o-be-so-popular

On an unrelated note, whenever I get fixated on a task, I tend to stop eating. I even started to lose weight pretty substantially so I fixed up some greasy love bacon and eggs to stuff myself and I got sick. ):

hurrdurr_by_nepharus-d8bdza6.jpg

I'm still getting over shock from the fact people actually like these guys.

#66 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

This is hilarious

Spoiler

It slays me the person thinks he's good enough to ask for funding. Even if I tried to break the sample down, where do I begin? The eye-blistering colour combination? How this composition says nothing ToX besides ripping the profiles of ToX characters? Or the part where he thought the maple leaf brush novel, and proceeded to vomit it all over the canvas? 

I'm not big on graphic design, but it isn't terribly complicated. Graphic design consists of three elements:

Image(s)

At the most basic level they shouldn't be stretched, low resolution, or riddled with artefacts. Once you've got that down, you can decide how it fits in the composition considering the colour, shape, centre of focus, and so forth.

Text

Choose a nice font that's not Times New Roman or Comic Sans (among many you shouldn't pick 99.9% of the time). Format a text block so you don't have stray words dangling on the last line, and tighten any fat gaps along the line breaks. 

Some people subscribe to the no-serif-fonts-ever club, serif being the fonts with the things sticking out from the letters. Those have their place, like in essays, and sounding smart on a forum board for no actual effort. 

Space

Blank space isn't boring space. Be generous with it. You wouldn't want to live in a closet or read a giant block of text--don't cram everything together. It's for the same reason folding your arms appears less inviting than holding them open. The space between letters of the text counts too.

- -

Now I'm not sure I want to explain elements like balance, gestalt, hierarchy, or insert fifteen more things, because it might blow out your retinas like it did mine. They're pretty simple concepts on their own, but they can add up since you don't typically design in a vacuum. I'll at least say you learn them so you can answer why you're doing what you're doing. Being "right" isn't the goal, though. Having a reason is. 

Graphic design isn't, on the other hand, grabbing someone else's artwork and going on a field day with Photoshop's Filter Gallery. Not only is using the Filter Gallery one of the most basic things you can do on Photoshop and therefore unworthy of very much merit, the effects are hideous. It's like using drop shadows, gradients and Comic Sans.

#67 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:59 AM

Nobody is gonna wanna sit on what amounts to a ball of spikes, sweetheart.

In the meanwhile, some quick fanart of Taxi's "OC," Chainsaw Bouffant. Why, because it's a good story. Bonus commentary from my brother: "What the love is this? Why does it have a giant chainsaw sticking out of its love?"

fuhnahfsahfahfg

-snip-

Source in question:

Spoiler

I am amazed. I have no words.

Maybe it seems like I'm joking, but I'm serious. This story does some things right. I don't care if it's about a show I don't watch, or that there's a typo in the first sentence. We've got enough folks focusing on the bootiful grammer when they should be focusing on how to tell a story. A quality fanfiction will have value and be interesting outside its fandom. If not, bad news. 

As ridiculous as the plot is, it does a reasonable job at staying grounded and in the moment. None of that waffling around in some indeterminate time period while dumping exposition and farting on about how I should think and feel.

#68 KabukimanNYPD

KabukimanNYPD

Stirge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

Nobody is gonna wanna sit on what amounts to a ball of spikes, sweetheart.

In the meanwhile, some quick fanart of Taxi's "OC," Chainsaw Bouffant. Why, because it's a good story. Bonus commentary from my brother: "What the love is this? Why does it have a giant chainsaw sticking out of its love?"

fuhnahfsahfahfg

-snip-

Source in question:

Spoiler

I am amazed. I have no words.

Maybe it seems like I'm joking, but I'm serious. This story does some things right. I don't care if it's about a show I don't watch, or that there's a typo in the first sentence. We've got enough folks focusing on the bootiful grammer when they should be focusing on how to tell a story. A quality fanfiction will have value and be interesting outside its fandom. If not, bad news. 

As ridiculous as the plot is, it does a reasonable job at staying grounded and in the moment. None of that waffling around in some indeterminate time period while dumping exposition and farting on about how I should think and feel.

My goal was to jab at fandom cliches, tropes and generally annoying things while still having a little substance to it instead of being one of those things that satirizes something while ultimately just adding to the problem. It's funny looking at it now because it's been long enough since I wrote it that it looks alien to me. Been a while since I really created anything, thinking about it.

#69 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:00 AM

When I reread my old writing these days, I'm astounded by how vague and lazy the language is. Ha-ha. Well, making stuff keeps me from suffocating, so I can't not do it.

dragon_by_nepharus-d8ern73.jpg

Short one. School's eating me up again. 

#70 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:16 PM

the_land_beyond_the_hill_by_nepharus-d8f

I've been thinking about the anime Maoyuu. Don't know why it came up. I mean, it's an okay, if frustrating series. The protagonists would talk about 'the other side of the hill,' referring to a hypothetical future rather than a literal place, but I kept imagining a landscape with two lakes anyway. So here's a landscape with two lakes.

#71 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:21 PM

This semester sucks. I'm okay sitting my love down and coding a website for hours. Actually, I've been doing that in my spare time. I'm less okay drawing dozens of little rectangle crap that'll look nothing like the final product anyway.

Well, there is something I agree with, like coding for accessibility. (Says my brother, "No loveing love?") To test a layout's mettle, you can grab the right edge of the browser and drag it toward the left. If things don't start collapsing cleanly (or at all), then we've got a problem. It happens when people use fixed values instead of relative ones. This forum is pretty good about it, besides the part where images don't scale.

There are even tools to help you see this sort of thing:

http://bradfrost.com/demo/ish/

Layout URL goes in the top left, select the output on the top right. It was funny when people were forced to throw their layouts through the "disco" function and have their elements go haywire.

hut_backdrop_by_nepharus-d8gkmfe.png

#72 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:13 PM

I'm okay sitting my love down and coding a website for hours. Actually, I've been doing that in my spare time.

Referring to this. 

KUGXGqU.png

The code's riddled with redundancies and Internet Explorer doesn't like my css at all, but those will have to wait while I draw more rectangles. Fortunately, browsers are benevolent beings who won't freak out if you misplace a bracket, which is why this thing stands despite 15 odd errors on every page.

At least it's kind of mobile friendly.

pjvP8Ye.png

I'm looking to redo this later, since the first few anything I make will be junk. If that 3D thing wasn't enough evidence.

#73 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:42 PM

Classroom doodles, or why I don't post every little thing I draw.

classroom_doodles_by_nepharus-d8mn8a8.jp

I will probably regret this later.

[edit] Naw turns out I'm back to embarrass myself more.

classroom_doodles_2_by_nepharus-d8ss225.

Edited by Dopple, 09 May 2015 - 06:35 PM.

#74 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:49 PM

Guys I think I'm improving. Maybe.

killing_machine_by_nepharus-d8obiro.png

I really like the season 1 PVP axe.

#75 Hentai

Hentai

Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3677 posts
  • IGN:Hentai

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:07 PM

You know what you should draw? A pandaren. A pandaren shaman. A pandaren shaman brewing a drink with the brew elemental spirits.

Hentai loves you. Yes, you.

#76 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:00 AM

That is bizarrely specific. I'll think on it more.

#77 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:26 AM

I was lying in bed thinking about this picture, which I got from an art trade if you remember:

vpvhv9.png

Then I sat up, because I realized the dialogue had gone over my head for the last eight months. I'm pretty sure the character was supposed to be Guts from Berserk, but the person drew a blonde woman. 

Oh. Maybe it's because I'm more pleasant when it comes to drawing over writing, however, I won't bash his ability. His characters might lean off-kilter with arms dangling to their shins, but he actually has interesting ideas. I've seen blander stuff from people more technically skilled.

Here's an example:

Spoiler

I'm not being sarcastic. Because I'm not looking at what's actually there, but what it could be. It interests me.

#78 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:48 AM

Not ignoring the request, but tell you the truth, it's difficult (!!) so I've shuffled it further back of the queue. Also, at the time I was putting away another one of those end term crams where I lose weight and get sick every time. I got to ditch a crap group though, so it was worth it.

In the meanwhile, some vanilla profiles of characters from Tales of the Abyss.

liger_by_nepharus-d8rpcy8.jpg

fon_master_guardian_arietta_by_nepharus-

I was skimming episode 20 of the anime (the one about Arietta ^^). omfg I got so salty. I didn't think as much of what happened in the game, since the game presented this character so poorly.

Oh, and that eyebrow business is no joke. Protagonists get normal eyebrows. Antagonists are cursed with the likelihood of weird eyebrows. Arietta pulled a short one on that, and sometimes people even compound the issue by giving her a huge forehead.

largo_the_black_lion_by_nepharus-d8rpcvl

Largo in his original outfit, which I don't like, but Dress-Up MK II can come another time. Eyebrow rule still applies.

cantabile_by_nepharus-d8rpcfl.jpg

This is Cantabile. She doesn't appear in the game. Not trying to be a hipster snowflake by liking an unknown character, but she's my favourite god general for being fun to speculate about.

To be honest, looking at bad TotA fan art is still one of my favourite things to do. The franchise is a magnet for awful OCs named after Japacheese terms or dictionary words. And they're all in a relationship with (pick one: Asch, Sync, Guy, Jade) who invariably turns into a blushing sap regardless of prior characterization. :D 

#79 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:30 AM

Tried not to be so lazy with this one. Legretta is my other favourite god general, design-wise, although she spends too much time posing.

While doing these, I debated listening to TotA's soundtrack. But I'd left it behind on a format long ago. Oh well. If you haven't heard it, you aren't missing out on much. 

legretta_by_nepharus-d8s3kis.jpg

The other day, I remembered why I gave up on fanfiction. After flipping page after page looking for a vaguely interesting subject, I clicked something and started spitting fire at the screen. State-of-being abuse. Events packed into flat summaries. Descriptions settling for abstract, clinical terms ("vehicle"--not even, say, carriage or buggy; "woman" and "second woman," where their only distinguishing feature is the order they appeared in). Aaaaagghh

#80 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:21 PM

Take two, or, hello to my third website. As for what happened to the second one, well, I'll probably tear it down... I don't want to talk about it. At least this one functions better.

It makes way more sense to provide links, but I'm embarrassed. Sorry.

mpOjw4g.jpg

UGC7tWi.jpg

0u4SPfB.jpg

You know what trend I don't get? Having a grid of thumbnails kinda like mine, except when you click one, the work pops above the grid. Every time you want to look at another piece, you have to scroll back down. I thought that was too annoying, so I ripped and altered somebody's lightbox instead. Everything else is from scratch though. 

i92D0zm.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users