432 replies to this topic

#421 Dopple

Dopple

Very !important

• Pink
  • 4338 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:44 AM

Nier Automata in 2017! I'm ready!! 

Somehow, they managed to get a lot of big names working on this title. Even if they didn't, MONACA and Emi Evans are killing it.

Weight of the World by Keiichi Okabe, NieR: Automata

Spoiler

I enjoy the acoustic guitar in the English version too. What a gorgeous sound. 

Dopple loves you. Yes, you.

f_by_nepharus-d7fbwoh.png

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#422 Dopple

Dopple

Very !important

• Pink
  • 4338 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:31 AM

Nice new headphones, topnotch playback for topnotch recordings... Aaaand let's play 128 kbps Tree of Savior MP3s. They're awesome.

Boy's Anthem by SoundTeMP, Tree of Savior

Spoiler

#423 Dopple

Dopple

Very !important

• Pink
  • 4338 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:19 PM

These videos from the Nier concert are mindblowing. I've always enjoyed Kaine / Salvation, but never as much as the live arrangement! Those strings could kill me :'DDD and I would die happy

Kaine / Salvation arranged by MONACA, NieR: Gestalt and Replicant

Spoiler

And Nami Nakagawa with Automata's battle theme! I loved her work on Drakengard 3 and others before, but is that an incredible vocal range! 

#424 Dopple

Dopple

Very !important

• Pink
  • 4338 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:15 AM

The long-awaited Chrono Trigger/Cross arrangement album finally did happen... sort of. I was paying on and off attention, so it escaped my notice for a year. "To Far Away Times," a musical sequel to the 3 arcs in Chrono Cross' soundtrack. Most tracks have been coarranged by guests--not necessarily a bad thing, but it may disappoint people who were looking for a concentrated effort from Yasunori Mitsuda. 

Schala's Theme arranged by Yasunori Mitsuda and Millennial Fair, To Far Away Times

Spoiler

This one's an instrumental from another performance, but they released a fantastic version with vocals from Laura Shigihara. Yes, indie Laura Shigihara who worked on Plants vs. Zombies, and To The Moon; I had to double check too. Following that, the arrangements are vocal-heavy this time, including renditions of Time's Scar, Radical Dreamers (well, yeah), and a few others. Oh, and that Bend of Time clip I posted long ago FINALLY got its full version, would you have it!

It's different, it's high quality, it's nice. I only wouldn't say it's the Chrono Album to Rule Them All like I had hoped. To start with, the Radical Dreamers remaster from Colours of Light was already more than good, and I didn't feel especially that there needed to be another.

Better than brink of time tho, I tell you what

#425 Dopple

Dopple

Very !important

• Pink
  • 4338 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:53 PM

People don't like the Marbule arrangement as much. Why not? I think it's one of the best ones.

Marbule arranged by Yasunori Mitsuda, To Far Away Times

Spoiler

VGM could use more accordions. Also tub bells, ocarinas and acoustic guitars--that combination. And while I'm along this train of thought, ditch the battle-saxophone haters too.

#426 Dopple

Dopple

Very !important

• Pink
  • 4338 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:02 PM

Millennial Fair's famous other work, the Xenogears album CREID, or, why VGM enthusiasts were drooling over the Chrono release. More Celtic influences abound.

Balto arranged by Yasunori Mitsuda, CRIED

Spoiler

Excellent CD. I wonder why I'd never heard of this before.

#427 Dopple

Dopple

Very !important

• Pink
  • 4338 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:58 AM

I always have a list of songs to run through wherever a new pair of speakers or headphones is concerned. Umm, maybe "wherever a new pair of speakers/headphones" makes it seem a strangely common occurrence. See I pretty much maxed out my credit card this month because my brother wanted to collect a fifth pair of headphones, among some other frivolous garbage. It's not really me!

Anyway, the list includes both some of the best and worst audio I have on file.

Good:

Repulsa from God Eater & Rage Burst 2

Radical Dreamers remastered

In between:

The Last Song from Drakengard 3

Class--CIEL_NOSURGE; from Genometric Concert

Uh oh:

Snow in Summer from NieR (still legitimately one of the best soundtracks but lol this song)

Seere's Prayer -In the Sky- from Drakengard 3 DLC: always gotta do it

Twilight from Tree of Savior

Now that FFXV video up there sounds awful! Darn if I don't like it though, it's great. It's probably just the video.

#428 Dopple

Dopple

Very !important

• Pink
  • 4338 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:39 PM

I take back what I said against those headphones (Hifiman HE400i). They've easily my favourite sound out of the bunch. Punchy, crisp, enough blending so you don't get overwhelmed. It's only lacking in some sound stage, but eeeh, I'd say these headphones are certified Actually Pretty Good™.

And there's a cleaner version of this song, which is doubly wonderful. Pointless 4K video aside.

#429 Dopple

Dopple

Very !important

• Pink
  • 4338 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:12 PM

How does Symphonic Fantasies Tokyo have so few views?

Come stand amidst the storm! What an incredible intro. Secret of Mana was always my favourite one out of the main four (they're all amazing in their own way, it's entirely personal preference), and I think this version is even more powerful than WDR's.

#430 Dopple

Dopple

Very !important

• Pink
  • 4338 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:18 PM

My copy of Symphonic Fantasies Tokyo came in recently. I'd heard this album some few hundred times by now, but I only got to try it on the sound system today.

I almost cried. I-it's so beautiful, I can't...!

I tried to explain to my mom why the instruments making a "wark-wark-wark" sound was so clever. She didn't care. I also said that I liked the cello better this time, although I really meant, with no way of expressing it, that the cello was sweet enough to make all your teeth fall out. Shoot, oh well, my folks love it anyway. Mmm that One-Winged Angel :D.

To my surprise, this pack of double CDs contained another bonus track (Suteki Da Ne, running at 3:43). The last time that happened, we got the final boss medley. The final boss medley is one of my favourite things ever, so you might imagine my quiet excitement. I have to admit, I got a little disappointed to find "just" a piano arrangement. Firstly, a piano version of Suteki Da Ne already exists by the man Hamauzu himself. Then the original had a very strong melody, and I thought the improvisation was too liberal. It's hardly bad by any means, but those are my feelings on it.

I'd post the arrangement, but it doesn't exist on the Internet. I'm surprised to find that this does, though:

I love how it sounds like the cover art style looks. Straight out of the 90s.

And come to think again, it may not be that much of a surprise, considering that this channel has frickin' Dinosaur.

#431 Dopple

Dopple

Very !important

• Pink
  • 4338 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:25 PM

Lol the audio and production quality of these is top notch, what the heck :'D

#432 Dopple

Dopple

Very !important

• Pink
  • 4338 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:16 PM

Oh, what could have been. I think this game didn't have enough play-testing, and what play-testing done was probably by devs. There were several maps between which the movement controls reversed (so up was down in one map, and down was up in the next). Now the load times were also ridiculously long, so getting confused here could get you stuck in a several minutes loop of going between maps. 

Also one part they sat you with two members of the party, with tuning that assumed you had been leveling them the whole time. If you hadn't, which you may not have if you didn't like those characters, ahem... Well, you were probably condemned with dying repeatedly when something so much as breathed at you. 

The developers might have been fans of Shadow Hearts, because they made a demonic battle system of pressing the correct buttons to a timed sequence. Actually, I think that was ok. It was the other stuff that was less ok. 

They even had an Xbox sequel, which was better, but not hugely. The battle system completely changed after I guess everyone demonized the old one. Now you could spend a few seconds hitting things, and the rest of the time staring at the screen because your character got fatigued. Maybe it wasn't so surprising that the sequel was also mildly received.

Regardless that I wouldn't really recommend it either, I thought Magna Carta 2 had some top hilarity. Like the time the protagonist encountered someone who looked shockingly similar to himself. That was, similar besides the Skrillex hair, long witch nails, and androgynous fashion (so, not really similar until they insist). Whereas I first thought the protagonist had performed binary fission and lost his memory as a result of the process, it turned out that there was just a lot of him running around. Darn, there went that totally feasible hypothesis.

You spend about the first twenty hours not knowing what's going on, because every time they get around to an explanation, either the person grandly reveals they don't know anything, or they get interrupted. Oh, the interruptions. They may as well have come in on parachutes. I mean, close enough: one time someone started talking, and a portal opened in the sky that spewed monsters. After a point, dragging something beyond undeath becomes an artform. 

I also enjoyed the tutorial. You have friends teaching you to press the right bumper and X, because the protagonist got amnesia, and he forgot how to press the right bumper and X to defeat the enemy

#433 Dopple

Dopple

Very !important

• Pink
  • 4338 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

Nier Automata hype :D

Man I love this, it's the kind of music I wouldn't normally expect to be my thing but darn does it do it so well.

I can see the argument of the original Nier's OST being more "charming" in its own way. Nier 1's entire soundtrack was perfectly serious, whereas now we have some Emil doo ree roo ree roo, la lu la lu lah infamy. Then there's some moody ambiance, reminiscent of Drakengard 3, a bit filler-y sounding. The only issue with Gestalt/Replicant was that it had pretty bad audio, but that got cleaned up in Automata.

What good tracks we have now (and there are many) are really good. Yes, Automata is ace. Couldn't have expected otherwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users