467 replies to this topic

#401 KabukimanNYPD

KabukimanNYPD

Stirge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:04 PM

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#402 KabukimanNYPD

KabukimanNYPD

Stirge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

#403 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts
  • IGN:The Panda Man Can

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:05 AM

Lol, the voices were distracting in the Ballz one, especially when repeated back to back. Reminds me of that Kidpix program from the 90s. Other than that, it was okay, if repetitive. I do have mildly similar songs on my harddrive, so it's not too far out there yet. ;P The other two might be good if they had something more to them and didn't loop every few seconds.

In particular, I thought The King of Dragons' sound style seemed familiar. Turns out Yoko Shimomura composed it. Boy oh boy. I'm surprised.

As it happens, my brother hates "yal fii-ne noh-iar;." Well he can go pound sand because it's not like the song is lacking in talent or quality. Not salty that I deliberated a few weeks to pick that one. :( Afterward, I went to look up information about the singer (ORIGA) and I found out she died last year from cancer. Sad

I'm feeling mildly nostalgic. Mildly. So here's something that's not that new and not that old either.

INNOCENT PRIMEVAL BREAKER by Falcom Sound Team jdk, Ys seven

Spoiler

Ys Seven was a good game, but different enough from previous installments to rub me the wrong way. 1) It was too easy, 2) there were potions again, compounding the previous issue, and 3) you had a party. At least they kept the silent protagonist part right. People even started to complain about Adol's silence being ridiculous. No! You son-of-a-guns leave my third person narration alone!

Dopple loves you. Yes, you.

#404 KabukimanNYPD

KabukimanNYPD

Stirge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:55 PM

Not shitposting for once, The King of Dragons actually has pretty rad music that isn't a four second loop.

okay now back to shitposting

#405 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:24 AM

While I wasn't expecting to see Yoko Shimomura's name, she is fantastic in her own right. Yoko Shimomura composed for some of my favourite orchestrals, like the "drammatica" album.

Colored Earth arranged by Yoko Shimomura, Natsumi Kameoka, and Kaoru Wada; drammatica -The Very Best of Yoko Shimomura-

Spoiler

I found this old post of mine:

Motoi Sakuraba makes almost everything. Songs under his name are usually really good (such as, the songs suggested above ["Chaotic Dance," "The True Mirror"]. They're by him).

Oh dear, the naivete. Chaotic Dance and The True Mirror are pretty good though, I'll give it that.

#406 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:27 PM

Secret Green Passage by Falcom Sound Team jdk, THE LEGEND OF HEROES Trails in the Sky FC Evolution

Spoiler

I don't really know how to feel about the FC/SC Evolution soundtracks (in general; Secret Green Passage is faithful to the source). Similar to what they did to Joshua's hair, it's... fine, it's not terribly offensive. But it isn't quite supposed to be that way. You get me?

Sora-no-Kiseki-Evo_12-25-14.jpg

Thinking on it more, I guess that applies more to SC Evo than FC. They made a bongas Silver Will. I still like it, because it's hard not to like Silver Will, but some of this other stuff... Huh. The sound is fuller, but some of these instrument combinations are kinda hard to listen to. There's some of that modern Falcom style, and then there's something weird that got mixed into it. That's SC Evo. I suppose you'd have to listen to the soundtrack to know what I mean, but at the same time, I don't recommend doing so.

They ruined the mood of "Looking up at the Sky," one of my favourites from SC. The new version is too punchy and distracting. Shame, I loved running around for hours to the vaguely melancholic original:

Looking up at the Sky by Falcom Sound Team jdk, THE LEGEND OF HEROES Trails in the Sky SC

Spoiler

I do see/hear some evidence of them mastering their pieces better lately. Or maybe I'm just being hopeful.

#407 KabukimanNYPD

KabukimanNYPD

Stirge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:44 PM

#408 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:39 PM

Opening dude's voice is so hardcore compared to the instrumentation, lol. Why is it called "Ai no Uta"? I think I can get behind this

The Last of Us by Gustavo Santaoballa, The Last of Us

Spoiler

#409 KabukimanNYPD

KabukimanNYPD

Stirge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:34 PM

original

#410 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:11 PM

Actually I think I prefer the other version a little bit, but it makes more sense now

Fate is in Our Hands by Shoji Meguro, Persona 3: Midsummer Knight's Dream

Spoiler

> "wow what's wrong with the audio at the start'

lol it's the harsh electronic instruments, they may be unappealing to some, but they are really like that. I think they're fine anyway

maybe everyone's just being polite when they say they don't normally like rap but they enjoy some of LJ and Shoji Meguro/Tetsuya Kobayashi

and I might have railed on Atsushi Kitajoh's arrangements sometimes (fake violin galore, but everyone is guilty of this at some point), I genuinely think he and Tetsuya Kobayashi are some of the best things to happen to the Persona sound. Like Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold isn't even a bad soundtrack so hates can trip in a pothole

#411 KabukimanNYPD

KabukimanNYPD

Stirge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:42 PM

#412 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:45 PM

No Way Back by Go Shiina, God Eater

Spoiler

I MUST RISE UP AND I MUST NOT GIVE INTO THIS INSANE WORLD

The auto tune version is more popular, but I kinda agree with the people who say Go Shiina needs to stay away from auto tune. CONQUERED(SCRITCH) MY SOUL. I guess there's some appeal to it? Maybe not for me though.

#413 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:21 PM

Repulsa by Go Shiina, God Eater 2 & Rage Burst

Spoiler

I have a friend who doesn't like Go Shiina, or Vanilla Mood, or "The Lost Forest," or Wagakki Band, or Felghana. Wow! I don't think we can see eye to eye on what good music is.

#414 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:51 PM

Opening dude's voice is so hardcore compared to the instrumentation, lol. Why is it called "Ai no Uta"? I think I can get behind this

Never knew that was originally a Linkin Park song.

#415 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:03 PM

Iclucian Dance by Falcom Sound Team jdk, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Spoiler

Did it finally happen, did Hayato Sonoda and the other non-band people get to work with the band? I need to get with the times.

The tracks are generally higher quality than Felghana's, but I prefer Felghana's compositions more. ... I've still yet to hear a soundtrack I like more than Felghana's. But that's not to diminish this track's excellence. It is excellent. That electric violin sound is crisper than ever.

#416 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:36 PM

Man what the heck is wrong with this site

How can it be so hard to navigate pages without something breaking?

Karack Credit Company by Masayuki Koyabashi, Atelier Judie

Spoiler

The Atelier Judie OST has some surprisingly delightful tracks. A tad too much filler as well, but I wouldn't say it's much worse than some other GUST soundtracks I've heard.

#417 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:17 PM

Tahu says he doesn't really do music. Hhhow do I reach him?

City of Time by Akira Tsuchiya, Atelier Judie

Spoiler

It doesn't help that he's probably listening to stuff out of his tinny Chromebook speakers. Or some equally nasty headphones.

#418 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:28 PM

Been working my way through this 20th anniversary collection of GUST albums, which includes Atelier, Mana Khemia, and a bunch of titles I've never seen before. 

I was going to pass over the Mana Khemia soundtracks (2, at least) but I decided to see if I'd change my mind since listening to them ~8 years ago. Mana Khemia 1's OST is alright, 2 still isn't that good. Now I feel like I should mention again, I've never forgotten how they could come up with Mana Khemia 2 (the game) and then make ATELIER RORONA after. As my brother put it so elegantly, "love you GUST, love 'going back to your roots', nobody wants to play that love!"

Listening to these, I'm further convinced of Ar nosurge being the best GUST soundtrack next to Atelier Totori. I think Judie stands out too.

Though, I don't see any Ar stuff in here. I love Genometric Concert Ao Tokikagura, even if I'm not sure that qualifies, and even if I wouldn't recommend it under normal circumstances. I can't count the number of percussion instruments, and yet the songs don't suffer from any sort of crowdedness so much as come together amazingly

#419 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:15 PM

:'D

As much as Anduin is a little cretin of a character, I mean.

#420 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4439 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:13 PM

Distorted bells ~ so lovely on these Sennheisers ~

I was surprised to find how much better Drakengard 3 sounds. Holy moly those ending notes on The Last Song can pierce your soul

Meanwhile, the clipping in Seere's Prayer: In the Sky and the rest of the Drakengard DLCs is completely out of control lol. I actually think it makes that track somewhat more endearing. Not to my ears, but you know. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users