• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#1 Dopple

Dopple

Handsome

• Pink
  • 4332 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

Note: This used to be a poll of the top 50 video game tracks in Japan. I still care very much about this thread and everything it contains or could potentially contain, even though it has been years since I started it.

Now "50 or so Game Soundtracks of Mostly Modern Times that Dopple Loves or Really Really Likes," moved up here. The "really likes" and "likes" aren't listed because there's already too many. So, if I appear to have missed your favourite soundtrack(s), they're probably there somewhere!

Soundtracks will appear here if they fall under at least several of the following criteria:

- I'm still listening to this soundtrack after a year.
- I listened to this for at least a week straight.
- This soundtrack has little to no filler.
- This soundtrack is largely orchestrated and/or the synth isn't substituting for real instruments.
- The sound and/or production quality is superb.

Symphonic Fantasies - Music from Square Enix & Symphonic Fantasies Tokyo

If you like orchestrals and VGM at all, there's no reason not to get one or both of these. What's in them? Incredibly clever, fully orchestrated arrangements for Kingdom Hearts, Legend of Mana, Chrono Trigger/Cross, and Final Fantasy. You don't need to be familiar with any of the games to enjoy the music, though it certainly helps.

Symphonic Fantasies Tokyo is another version containing the same arrangements. I included it because they added a final boss medley, which is one of my favourite things ever. There are also a few stylistic changes that make for an interesting comparison.

Symphony Ys '88

Symphony Ys '95

Symphony Ys '88 is fully orchestrated, and great for duping your friends and family into thinking they're not listening to VGM. '95, featuring a series of different songs, is a fairly convincing electric orchestra manned by one of my favourite artists, Tamiya Terashima. (I actually didn't realize I loved orchestrals that much until I listened to his work. In particular, he's at his best when it comes to melancholy songs.)

Funnily, the main demographies for these albums are middle-aged people. Can attest. My parents like them.

Ys V Orchestra Version

Tamiya Terashima back with an orchestral arrangement of choice tracks from Ys V. Ys V's soundtrack otherwise wasn't very good, so this treatment was the best thing that happened to it.

Again, not a real orchestra, but many people have trouble telling the difference. Although I think that's partially to blame on the severe compression. The audio gets destroyed on my sound system--for that matter, I'm wary of using it for 90's music in general. Still, I can hardly complain about the arrangements themselves. They're great and full of soul, so Ys V Orchestra Version earns a deserved spot on the list.

drammatica -The Very Best of Yoko Shimomura-

Another excellent series of orchestral arrangements, from various titles like Legend of Mana, Kingdom Hearts, Front Mission, and some game I've never heard of called LiveA. The "Very Best" part is debatable, but they're all good. With the more niche titles, I got treated to some great melodies I otherwise wouldn't have known. For real, the LiveA stuff is nice.

Unfortunately, this album does suffer from muddy sound, which is the main reason I don't listen to it as much as I like.

NieR Gestalt and Replicant

I didn't like this much at first, purely on a "not my thing" basis. Lots of vocals, many of which I could describe as haunting. At the same time, there's no denying that the production and composition quality are stellar. I warmed up to it over 50-odd listens, and now I welcome it among my favourites. The meticulous notes really grab you here.

Quite commonly hailed as one of the greatest VGM soundtracks among VGM nerds (a list on which Ys: The Oath in Felghana and Chrono Cross claim spots--your mileage may vary). 

Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Felghana was a remake of Ys 3, so naturally, its soundtrack was a remake of the Ys 3's tunes. Yukihiro Jindo took the original tracks and pushed many of the best-sounding arrangements to date. Furthermore, he did them in a variety of styles, from dance to rock and classical orchestra. If you like those first two genres in particular, this soundtrack is for you. If not, I'd still bet that this soundtrack is for you, unless you're one of the ten people in the world who happen to hate it.

Felghana was my favourite soundtrack back in the day, and it's still one of my go-to recommendations whenever anyone expresses interest. I must've listened to it over a thousand times now. Anyway, no filler. Are we seeing a pattern here? 

I don't think there's been an Ys soundtrack to top this one ever since. That's okay, though. Felghana is perfectly good to me, if objectively not a "perfect" album--with its mastering problems, and occasional thin-sounding synth. But in all other aspects, it is very, very hard to do better. They tried with the Super Arrange and didn't succeed. 

Tales of Legendia

Boasting more performers than any other Tales game has seen to date, Legendia is a fully orchestrated, gorgeously composed soundtrack. It contains a markedly unique style from the usual Tales sound, and from video game sounds in general, owed to cult-favourite Go Shiina. As I've mentioned before, I wouldn't be surprised if half the game's budget went into sound. When "The Birds Chirp, I Sing" came up for the first time in-game, I was absolutely floored. Years later, this soundtrack is still a must listen and more than deserves a recommendation.

Ys Origin Super Arrange Version

A bit of an older arrangement album, but still one of Falcom's best. Heavy on hardcore rock, occasionally belts out some good jazz and vocals. (Say what you will about "YSY" otherwise; I think it's fantastic.) Of course, it contains some of that signature rock violin sound that Falcom is renowned for. Besides maybe Feena, all the tracks here are high quality, unskippable pieces. Feena's exception is only because there are too many versions of it already. But if you're not too familiar with Feena, this soundtrack contains one of the better ones.

Now, mastering problems still abound, so if you're particularly sensitive to audio clipping, this may not be for you. Very real flaw of this album, even if everything else is great.

Etrian Odyssey III Super Arrange Version

There seem to be some Falcom fans over at the Etrian Odyssey team? You can hear some influences in this heavily rock, synth and violin arrangement album. Whereas the original soundtrack was composed by Yuzo Koshiro, they invited wizards like Azusa Chiba and Noriyuki Kamikura to arrange for this album. Amazing. I can't not give Etrian Odyssey III SAV a mention, because it hits all the criteria I've listed above.

Oh, they also added a saxophone, resulting in the best battle saxophone track ever. This is proof the world needs more battle saxophones.

Other soundtracks (that are equally or almost equally good)

Spoiler

Dopple loves you. Yes, you.

f_by_nepharus-d7fbwoh.png

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Tich

Tich

Tide Warden

• MapleTip Contributor
  • 9428 posts
  • IGN:TIIIIIIIIICH SHOWAAAAAAAAAAAA

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:20 AM

Sometimes, the Japanese frighten, me all other times I have no idea how they think. Why did the Ho-Oh Battle theme make it up there and not Lances Battle theme. PEOPLE?

olic1.jpg
Knowledge is power and I... know a lot.

#3 Toxie

Toxie

Cutie Mark Crusader

• Official Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

^The real question is, how is the fillmore theme from actraiser not up there?

Posted Image
Stealing Tich's signature because I can and it's free.

#4 Dopple

Dopple

Handsome

• Pink
  • 4332 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:41 AM

^ That's actually really good.

THIS IS BEST GAME OPENING EVER:

Lost Kingdom arranged by Tamiya Terashima, Ys V Orchestral Version

I think the video makes it even better. The title screen coming up at the end could move me to tears. :'D

#5 Toxie

Toxie

Cutie Mark Crusader

• Official Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:00 PM

I think we can all agree that this is the greatest VGM of all time.

Posted Image
Stealing Tich's signature because I can and it's free.

#6 Dopple

Dopple

Handsome

• Pink
  • 4332 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

aww yeah cacophony of random blips and beeps assembled straight from hell.

I listened to all of it.

I'd probably blow up before I was able to choose the "best" VGM, so I'll just plug something from 1994 and call it.

Legend of the Wind arranged by Tomohiko Kishimoto (jdk Band), Falcom SPECIAL BOX '94
original from The Legend of Xanadu

Spoiler

You know now that I think about it, why are all these games about climbing some crazy physics defying tower?

#7 Hentai

Hentai

Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3675 posts
  • IGN:Hentai

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:51 AM

Not Japan

Hentai loves you. Yes, you.

#8 Dopple

Dopple

Handsome

• Pink
  • 4332 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:55 AM

Pretty sure that Crazy Bus thing isn't, either. Who cares? :B High five, VGM enthusiasts unite.

Love the Bastion OST, by the way.

Labyrinth V: Heaven's Rock Seat arranged by Yoshitaka Suzuki, Sekaiju no MeiQ2 Super Arrange Version 

Etrian Odyssey II

Spoiler

Edited by Dopple, 31 May 2015 - 05:02 AM.

#9 Dopple

Dopple

Handsome

• Pink
  • 4332 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:39 AM

The Lost Forest by Keiichi Okabe, Kakeru Ishihama and Keigo Hoashi, NieR Gestalt & Replicant

Spoiler

#10 Dopple

Dopple

Handsome

• Pink
  • 4332 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

Final Battle -Demon Vesper- by Falcom Sound Team jdk, Zwei!!

Spoiler

Edited by Dopple, 31 May 2015 - 05:02 AM.

#11 Dopple

Dopple

Handsome

• Pink
  • 4332 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

Palace of Destruction arranged by Yukihiro Jindo (Falcom Sound Team jdk), Ys I&II Chronicles

Spoiler

AUDIO CLIPPING GALORE

#12 Dopple

Dopple

Handsome

• Pink
  • 4332 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:28 AM

Track 21 by Mitsuto Suzuki, Final Fantasy XIII-2

Spoiler

Edited by Dopple, 18 June 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#13 Dopple

Dopple

Handsome

• Pink
  • 4332 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

Battlefield - Those That Slay and Fall arranged by Noriyuki Kamikura, Sekaiju no MeiQ3 Super Arrange Version 

Etrian Odyssey III

Spoiler

#14 Dopple

Dopple

Handsome

• Pink
  • 4332 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

The Boy's Got Wings by Falcom Sound Team jdk, Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Spoiler

I haven't heard of anyone who hates this song. Do you hate this song? Please advise.

#15 Dopple

Dopple

Handsome

• Pink
  • 4332 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

I'll Face Myself (-Battle-) arranged by Atsushi Kitajoh, Never More -Reincarnation:PERSONA4-

Spoiler

#16 Dopple

Dopple

Handsome

• Pink
  • 4332 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5) performed by Kanagawa Philharmonic Orchestra, Press Start the 5th Anniversary

Spoiler

Edited by Dopple, 31 May 2015 - 05:03 AM.

#17 Dopple

Dopple

Handsome

• Pink
  • 4332 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Labyrinth V ~ The Capital of Shinjuku arranged by Yoshitaka Suzuki, Sekaiju no MeiQ Super Arrange Version 

Etrian Odyssey

Spoiler

how to make this page lag

Edited by Dopple, 22 December 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#18 Tich

Tich

Tide Warden

• MapleTip Contributor
  • 9428 posts
  • IGN:TIIIIIIIIICH SHOWAAAAAAAAAAAA

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

Call of Duty is the Greatest Game ever. True story.

olic1.jpg
Knowledge is power and I... know a lot.

#19 Dopple

Dopple

Handsome

• Pink
  • 4332 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:45 AM

??? idk I think Chrono Trigger is better

Temple of the Sun arranged by Ryo Yonemitsu (Falcom Sound Team jdk), Perfect Collection Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys

Spoiler

#20 Dopple

Dopple

Handsome

• Pink
  • 4332 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

Kenopi Volcano arranged by Falcom Sound Team jdk, Zwei!! Super Arrange Version

Spoiler