2 replies to this topic

#1 RamzaReborn

RamzaReborn

The original Blue Bomber

• MD Members
  • 1371 posts
  • IGN:Does not exist

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:26 AM

So for Christmas, I'm getting a Macbook. With the laptop, I am going to be using it to play Maplestory, but apparently I cannot just download Maplestory on the Mac and play it, I can only do that on Windows.

So I stand here with one option, if I want to play Maplestory, i've got to split my mac into both windows and a Mac......this does not at all sound like a good idea to me and i've got a few questions about the procedure before I decide to gut open my Mac.

First question: What Windows OS can I install onto my Mac?
Second question: Whats the procedure for doing it?
Third question: How badly is this going to slow my Mac down? Can I still run my laptop in Mac form, or do I have to always run it as a Windows setup?

Fourth question: Is it possible to get rid of the Windows OS after I download it? And if I do, what are the results of it? Is it going to explode my laptop or what?

I would really appreciate some answers from people who have down this before, I have to use this laptop for college next year and if the risks outweigh the rewards there is no way in hell i'm doing this then.
Posted Image
Courtesy of Acfan

Oh, just go to the time out pen

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • IGN:WindHobbes

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

First question: What Windows OS can I install onto my Mac?
Any version of Windows, as long as you have the installation CDs

Second question: Whats the procedure for doing it?
You start Boot Camp, which you can find by going to Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Boot Camp Assistant.

Third question: How badly is this going to slow my Mac down? Can I still run my laptop in Mac form, or do I have to always run it as a Windows setup?
I'm not too sure about this one, but you can choose which OS you want to boot into on startup if you hold down your command (?) key. It probably won't slow down your Mac at all, since you're making a partition to install Windows on your hard drive.

Fourth question: Is it possible to get rid of the Windows OS after I download it? And if I do, what are the results of it? Is it going to explode my laptop or what?
Again, I'm not too sure about this one, but I'm sure there is some way you can uninstall Windows and delete the partition.

Make sure you buy some sort of antivirus for the Windows parition, because then that makes your Mac susceptible to Windows viruses. You could also look up some Boot Camp FAQs on Apple's website, I'm sure they have one there somewhere...

ya.png

#3 RamzaReborn

RamzaReborn

The original Blue Bomber

• MD Members
  • 1371 posts
  • IGN:Does not exist

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:09 PM

Thanks a ton for the answers Hobbes, i'll be sure to check some stuff out between now and saturday.

If anyone has actually done this, I would appreciate them answering the questions as well.
Posted Image
Courtesy of Acfan

Oh, just go to the time out pen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users