#1 JayhawkJazzy

JayhawkJazzy

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • IGN:ZLancelotZ

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:19 AM

I wasn't sure if this was the place to post this, but, here it is nonetheless.

To start, I'm not really angry in any way. I'm just very confused about the community within MapleStory.

I first played MS five years ago when it first came out. I was 17 at the time, and heard about this free MMORPG that had the look of a game meant for a younger generation, but with the same challenges and leveling systems of an older generation game. I instantly became intrigued and started playing. For a couple of weeks, I was completely immersed. I was fascinated at how simple yet completely varied the game was. After a couple of weeks, however, I became bored. I found the game to be "grind heavy" and that wasn't what I was looking for.

The other day, I was reminiscing about games I had played and MS was one of the first ones to pop into my head. I decided to download the game again, hop in, and see what the world had become. I was completely shocked. The level cap was 200, there were Cygnus Knights, Aran, Evan, and the Pirate. I instantly had that same feeling I once had: a sense of curiosity and wonder. I hopped back on and created a new character. I went first for a Dawn Warrior. Then I made a Bowmen. I have played both of these characters for about three weeks now.

The quests are more fun. The PQ's are great. Everything about it is great. I got to level 30 on both characters in less than two weeks (yes, I played that much). The 5th year anniversary events are a ton of fun. Everything about it was looking up for me. Then I started talking to some people in game.

I am 22 years old now (not sure if that's a popular age with this game). I find myself immersed into the one of the most unique and challenging MMORPG's out there. I am, however, finding myself surrounded by people that are starting to make me wonder.

One of the things I love about MMORPG's (I used to play WoW, still play Guild Wars, and am a huge fan of Everquest) is the dynamic interaction between people from all over the world. You step into somebody else's shoes and go on a journey with these other people. It's a fantastic element. However...

I have met two people (not lying) since I started playing again that were nice, respectful, a little sarcastic and fun to play with. Every other person I have come across has either completely ignored ANY type of chat at all with me, or called me a "[email protected]@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@". Granted, I'm not familiar without a lot of the new stuff, and I'm still learning, but this seems uncalled for. I have asked over 35 different guilds if they were recruiting or interested in having me join them. They all said "we don't recruit n00bs" or "do I know you? no? then go away!" I was on the trip from Orbis to Ludibrium and there was a level 71 Aran there. I don't remember his name. I said "Hi there!" No response. I then said, "How are you doing today?" Again no response. There was another person on the trip. A level 84 Blaze Wizard. After about thirty seconds, they started having a conversation. I said, "Hey guys, are you both doing today?" No response. They ignored and just kept right on talking. When the trip was done, they both ran off together and I saw them having a conversation in town.

I don't understand. If you're not a higher level, you're not that important? Why can't somebody just say "Sorry, we're not recruiting. Thanks for asking though!" Is it really that hard to be respectful to other people?

The two people I've come across have been kind, fun, and helpful. They explained to me what CPQ was all about and added me to their friends list. Every time we're all three on, they message me, asking if I want to do PQ. Sometimes I say yes, and other times I just go hunting. Both of these young gentleman have been kind, fun, and even responded with "We're actually not recruiting right now, but, we'll keep you in mind if something opens up." Now, the two players on the trip from Orbis to Ludibrium is just ONE of the MANY situations that have happened to me over the last two weeks. I've had everything happen from people yelling at me, telling others to ignore me because I'm a n00b, and even the occasional party expel me because I WASN'T in a guild.

I don't want to give this game up because of my lack of meeting of people. But, I'm starting to doubt. I understand that it's only been three weeks since I began playing again. I also understand that there is a slight feeling of annoyance at people who are unfamiliar with certain aspects of the game. But what does a guy have to do to meet some respectable players? I just want to meet people, have a good time, and play a game. I want to become somebody else and take them on a journey into a land of monsters, weapons, and armor. But I can't do it alone.

I started my characters on Bera because that's where I was before, and that in itself, may be the problem. But, does anybody have any suggestions for meeting people in game? I'm lost, confused, and a tad bit annoyed.

I'm sorry it was so long and I appreciate anybody that took the time out of their day (and their Mapling) to read this. I hope everybody is well and I hope to hear from some of you soon!

-JayhawkJazzy
Back for a second time around!

Characters:

ZLancelotZ (Bera) Lvl. 44 Hunter
Aktorz (Bera) Lvl. 37 Dawn Warrior
Hotspurz (Windia) Lvl. 10 Blaze Wizard

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Matthias Hinkell

Matthias Hinkell

A Depressed Villian ._.

• MD Members
  • 5072 posts
  • IGN:GeneYuss

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:55 PM

Many people in Maple seem to lack social skills. It's pretty annoying if you want to find friends that don't want no interest in talking to other people except their friends or to grind. :/ That's why I don't really talk to anyone though I will talk to people if they start talking to me. ^^ (except if they start calling me names for no reason, then I ignore ;~; )

You can try starting at Windia. I know a guild/alliance that has lots of awesome people and we can be able to help you. I'm looking for friends myself but I don't really have much (except people in guild/alliance and the VERY rare friend I find outside it). I won't have any problems helping you with questions you have about Maple, plus I can help you get started with some funding if you do decide to go try that server ;P

Characters I still play
WINDIA
GeneYuss - level 124 DK | MattHinkell - level 108 ranger | DoogaI - level 100 hermit | Meteor88 - level 99 sniper HPEcheIon - level 63 HP spearman
SCANIA
iWilfre - level 70 spearman

#3 JayhawkJazzy

JayhawkJazzy

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:09 AM

I have actually heard some very good things about the guilds and people on Windia.

I would love more than anything to get to know you and some other people, so, I just might take you up on that offer.

Characters:

#4 Matthias Hinkell

Matthias Hinkell

A Depressed Villian ._.

• MD Members
  • 5072 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:32 AM

You'll probably still run into those types of people in Bera (they're everywhere... :/ )

Feel free to buddy my Windia characters (aka GeneYuss, my main. DoogaI and MattHinkell are my side characters. Everyone else in my signature are my side-side characters I play when I'm bored :]

However, I am currently working on finishing up my Aran in Broa before the ring deadline is up (I got 18 levels to go until it gets to 70). I'll still be stopping by Windia while I level my Aran just to see what's up. ;P

Characters I still play
WINDIA
GeneYuss - level 124 DK | MattHinkell - level 108 ranger | DoogaI - level 100 hermit | Meteor88 - level 99 sniper HPEcheIon - level 63 HP spearman
SCANIA

#5 JayhawkJazzy

JayhawkJazzy

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:35 AM

I'm going to save a little money from work and buy some Nexon cash so I can transfer my Hunter over. He's level 43 already and I don't want to start from scratch. I'll leave my DW on Bera in case I ever want to play him again. So, everything will work out. In the time it takes you to get to 70 on that character will most likely be the time I have an extra $25 to get him transferred :)

Characters:

#6 DarkChaosXX

DarkChaosXX

Zombie Lupin

• Official Member
  • 316 posts
  • IGN:Naglerx

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:24 AM

Sorry for ninja'ing in on your topic here but how is Windia nowadays? I recently started playing again and got an Evan to 30 and about 2mil mesos. Just a quick question, how much are those maple leaves selling for on Windia? I'd like to know before I make a character lol.
Zenith - Naglerx - 9X Dual Blade

Goals:

1. Get to lv 100
2. Do not die.

#7 JayhawkJazzy

JayhawkJazzy

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:16 PM

Naw, don't worry! I'm glad you slipped in there. It shows there are people who are interested in what others are doing in game :)

Characters:

#8 Matthias Hinkell

Matthias Hinkell

A Depressed Villian ._.

• MD Members
  • 5072 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:57 PM

Good luck getting your character to 70 and see you in Windia soon :D

Spoiler

In case you didn't know ;P

@DarkChaosXX

Before I was selling for about 5k. The price is probably around 1-2k each now since the event has been going for quite a while.

Characters I still play
WINDIA
SCANIA

#9 JayhawkJazzy

JayhawkJazzy

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:28 AM

Yeah, I know I can only transfer Inventory and 1Mil Mesos. That's why I decided to transfer my DW over. My Hunter has a LOT of money on him and a LOT of stuff in storage. So, it's easier to just transfer the DW (which doesn't have a lot of money) and go from there. I'll let you know when I get transferred (will probably take a few weeks) :)

Thanks for everything in advance!!

Characters:

#10 DarkChaosXX

DarkChaosXX

Zombie Lupin

• Official Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:45 AM

Yeah, I just decided to make a new character on Windia for now. I am going to make a couple million mesos before I make an Evan/Mage/Blaze Wizard though. But yeah, I made a Archer in the meantime. I'll hopefully be on more today, yesterday was kind of hectic for me with Senior Awards and such.

Goals:

1. Get to lv 100
2. Do not die.

#11 JayhawkJazzy

JayhawkJazzy

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:55 AM

I am contemplating just starting a new character (yeah yeah, I know, changing my mind again). I've always played a Hunter and the DW is a new experience for me. But I want to broaden my horizons a little bit. I want to try something new. Who knows, I just might change it up and see what comes of it :)

Characters:

#12 Dopple

Dopple

Ice cream supreme

• Pink
  • 4400 posts
  • IGN:The Panda Man Can

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

meant for a younger generation

There's the problem! :DDD

In all seriousness, I think that MapleStory as a game just promotes a lot of bad will and selfishness in forms of KSing and harassment, especially what with its limited number of 'good' training maps. Obtaining one of said maps during peak times often boils down to just that, e-fight-and-scream fests happening at rates faster than Nexon was ever willing to handle. The winner of these KS-fests, or events like cPQ for that matter, is in turn decided by who rolled the right class and/or has good equipment rather than the best player (I don't think anyone will deny that MapleStory's skill cap is low), hence all this false superiority and snobbishness floating around, the vast majority of which is centred on plain old stats, shinies, and level. It's all about the numbers.

Or that's how I see it, anyway; it's been years since I last touched that game. Most of us who were in this community grew up and with that died the general interest in MapleStory.

Edited by Dopple, 26 May 2010 - 06:47 PM.

Dopple loves you. Yes, you.

#13 DarkChaosXX

DarkChaosXX

Zombie Lupin

• Official Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

I was wondering would I be able to get in KoopaForce? I can wait till I get to a higher level if needed. I have my money now so I might make an Evan.

Goals:

1. Get to lv 100
2. Do not die.

#14 JayhawkJazzy

JayhawkJazzy

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:01 AM

Well, I went ahead and made a character on Windia. I started a Blaze Wizard but I'll probably end up changing to a Pirate/Thunder Breaker. I've always been intrigued as to how well that class would play out :)

If you want to add me to friends for the time being (if I decide to stick with this guy), his name is Hotspurz

:)

Characters:

#15 JayhawkJazzy

JayhawkJazzy

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:16 PM

Today, I did something that almost proved my point even further.

A guy comes up to me while I'm just grinding on some Helmet Pepe's on my Dawn Warrior. He says "Can you help me, please?"

I could have done what every other person would do: "No, nubsauce, I'm busy"

Instead, I said sure and he asked how to get the regular helmet for a quest (not a destroyed one). I politely told him and he asked if I would help. I said sure since I was farming them anyway. After about fifteen minutes, he got one. He turns to me and says, "Thanks a lot. It's rare to find such a nice person in this game. I really appreciate it."

See how easy this is? I just wish other people would take the same steps sometimes.

Characters:

#16 JayhawkJazzy

JayhawkJazzy

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:42 AM

And good Karma bites me in the love yes again!

So, everything is going great. I moved on to do some CPQ. I get invited to a group doing some TW.

We all agree to play for the win first. They win by like 300 or something. Then it's our win. When there is less than a minute left...they start killing things REALLY fast and what happens? Of course, they win. They scammed us.

::sigh::

Characters:

#17 Mireme

Mireme

Fire Boar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • IGN:mitzyfizz

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:01 PM

How very strange, I too left maple alone for 2 years and suddenly got an itch to play again. Atleast I'm not alone!

I really really empathise with you here (I'm only 2 years younger). Whilst I remember the Maple community not being very well um...social, it was bearable with the active BL and guild I had back then. Now I'm just left with the community -_-; It's inherent in the game to be competetive but it's extraordinary the lengths people (and this looks like the majority of the community) go to.

Anyway good on you for taking the time to help that person :) and who knows the person that you helped may then pass on another good gesture to someone else.~

So hmm, welcome back to maple!~

Edited by Mireme, 28 May 2010 - 05:08 PM.

Posted Image
Broa: 7X Ranger~ on hiatus since 2008
Windia:Gonna-be-I/L Mage~something different for 2010
~RIP Ascendency~

#18 JayhawkJazzy

JayhawkJazzy

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

Yes, hopefully this young man took my example and passed it along. Thanks for the welcome back! And, nice to meet you :)

Characters:

#19 itzMyPriest

itzMyPriest

Snails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • IGN:itzMyPriest

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, this is exactly how I experienced gMS players when I still was on gMS, luckily I play eMS now, I prefer the community there ALOT.
<!--sizeo:6--><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>lvl 5x</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
Proud eMS player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users