20 replies to this topic

#1 Oddworld

Oddworld

Oddity Level: Endangered

• Official Member
  • 736 posts
  • IGN:TIYMSCN.

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

Ya, another problem. Except it's very, very annoying. And it happens still.

If I were to have two or more tabs on FireFox, after a while of browsing through the internet, the computer suddenly just freezes.

Now, I do not mean completely frozen, but every program I have on gets frozen (like the Music folder and Firefox), and I can't get to my Task Manager. Not even the simple CTRL+ALT+DEL helps. I used Avira to search the ENTIRE computer, but it said that there were no detections. (I'm using the free version, by the way) It is frozen enough that I have to restart my computer.

So, may anyone help me on this? This is probably the biggest problem I have so far on my computer.

Edit: Actually, it freezes the computer EVEN WITH ONE TAB, and even with almost every other program closed but Avira.

FYI, the freezing occurs randomly, which means it could be five minutes after starting up FireFox, to an hour.

Edited by Oddworld, 21 January 2010 - 03:44 PM.

Faces of Evil: (๏_๏) (ಥ﹏ಥ) (ಠ_ಠ) (^ω^) t(Шt) ⌐(∆⌐) (_) ﺧ益ﺨ

Relationship list, my YouTube channel, "Adventures with Sharky!", My Twitter, and I wish I could tell you my blog, but NOOOOOO, apparently this forum doesn't allow it.
My Skype: abex300
Ami, Yoko, Etna, and Coco

My TF2 Custom Weapon Guide
Click Here To Lose Your Sanity

I came from another world, my body a home of oddness and humor. No logic in my eyes, no gravity of my skin, no harm of my heart. My soul, as full and light as the daylight. I laugh at the trolls, spit at the offensive names, for they will not harm my reputation. For eternity, I will post the forum, smelling the sweet friends of MapleTip, feasting upon the oranges of the grown. Beware, for I am the Oddworld.

By the way, my alignment is: Chaotic Good

Posted Image

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Randallrocks

Randallrocks

Bain

• Respected Member
  • 1767 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

Pinpoint the problem.

Use a different browser, antivirus (or no antivirus, I find them to be very bloaty). Keep task manager in the background where you can see it.

#3 Oddworld

Oddworld

• Official Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

Pinpoint the problem.

Use a different browser, antivirus (or no antivirus, I find them to be very bloaty). Keep task manager in the background where you can see it.

I'll try that. But question, which browser should I use, besides IE?

Edit: I tried out the Task Manager in the backround thing, but when I tried to end process of what are freezing, they don't end the process, which means, as usual, I need to restart the computer. So, the only option left is to use a different browser...but what's the a really good browser besides FireFox? =/

Edited by Oddworld, 21 January 2010 - 06:58 PM.

Relationship list, my YouTube channel, "Adventures with Sharky!", My Twitter, and I wish I could tell you my blog, but NOOOOOO, apparently this forum doesn't allow it.

I came from another world, my body a home of oddness and humor. No logic in my eyes, no gravity of my skin, no harm of my heart. My soul, as full and light as the daylight. I laugh at the trolls, spit at the offensive names, for they will not harm my reputation. For eternity, I will post the forum, smelling the sweet friends of MapleTip, feasting upon the oranges of the grown. Beware, for I am the Oddworld.

Posted Image

#4 Randallrocks

Randallrocks

Bain

• Respected Member
  • 1767 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

What processes are causing the problem? Write them down and post.

CHROME CHROME CHROME. WEBKIT, SEPARATE PROCESSES FOR TABS + EXTENSIONS, EXTENSIONS, THEMES, WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR? CHROMEEEEEEEEEEEEE. <3

http://www.google.com/chrome

#5 Oddworld

Oddworld

• Official Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:29 PM

What processes are causing the problem? Write them down and post.

CHROME CHROME CHROME. WEBKIT, SEPARATE PROCESSES FOR TABS + EXTENSIONS, EXTENSIONS, THEMES, WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR? CHROMEEEEEEEEEEEEE. <3

http://www.google.com/chrome

Well, basically...

explorer.exe and firefox.exe .

Also, I may try out Chrome, but for now, since it didn't seem to freeze now for an hour, I'll try it tomorrow, but if my computer magically doesn't freeze anymore, I may not try it.
Spoiler

Posted Image

#6 Randallrocks

Randallrocks

Bain

• Respected Member
  • 1767 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:22 PM

hehe. Hmm... are you copying or backing up files?

#7 betakyros

betakyros

Wraith awaiting launch orders.

• Official Member
  • 1221 posts
  • IGN:betakyros

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

Chrome is actually quite decent. I used to lag with Firefox so I switched to Chrome and haven't looked back since. Does this only happen with web browsing? 'Cuz it also might be just lack of RAM.

Not so sure I agree with the last part, but the beginning is true.

#8 Randallrocks

Randallrocks

Bain

• Respected Member
  • 1767 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

Oh right. What are your computer specs?

Also, open up your computer and dust it out using a can of compressed air.

#9 Oddworld

Oddworld

• Official Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

Oh right. What are your computer specs?

Also, open up your computer and dust it out using a can of compressed air.

I dun't knew haow tu check da cawmputah cpekz. (In other words, I don't know how to check the computer specs.)

My dad tried the dusting it out thing, but that doesn't seem to work. However, your plan of using Google Chrome was a good idea, because two hours have passed, and it didn't freeze yet. Avast also seems to fix the problem, even if it haven't detected YET (yes, it's still searching), and I'm using the free version.

So thanks for the Chrome suggestion.

Spoiler

Posted Image

#10 Randallrocks

Randallrocks

Bain

• Respected Member
  • 1767 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:56 PM

Press Windows + R. Type in dxdiag, and you'll get a box like this:

Posted Image

Tell us everything under System Information.

#11 Oddworld

Oddworld

• Official Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:03 PM

Posted Image

Lol, yes, ODDWORLD-PC.

Posted Image

#12 Randallrocks

Randallrocks

Bain

• Respected Member
  • 1767 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:12 PM

You should have no problems with freezing, regardless of if you use Firefox or not.

#13 Oddworld

Oddworld

• Official Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:58 PM

Well despite that I got most things at good shape, I still freeze. However, they only last for around 5 minutes, and if I never shut off my computer at any freeze, it would only require 5 freezes to make the computer work as normal.

Even though it's annoying, at least it's no longer a permanent freeze. =/

Posted Image

#14 Tich

Tich

Tide Warden

• MapleTip Contributor
  • 9428 posts
  • IGN:TIIIIIIIIICH SHOWAAAAAAAAAAAA

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

Worst case scenario, it's a hardware problem. That is if the freezes seem random. If not it's a program error somewhere, or even a driver error.

olic1.jpg
Knowledge is power and I... know a lot.

#15 Oddworld

Oddworld

• Official Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:46 PM

Hardware problem? Already? I only had it for 6 months, I didn't know it could have a problem ALREADY. O.o

Posted Image

#16 Randallrocks

Randallrocks

Bain

• Respected Member
  • 1767 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

I'm going with virus or driver error, because there's no way that that hardware could cause freezing, especially only at the 6 month mark.

#17 Oddworld

Oddworld

• Official Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

To me, I'll go with virus. Why?

While I was casually browsing through the TF2 Wiki like I do, since five months ago, out of nowhere, a pop-up (no I don't have spyware nor adware nor pop-up-ware, if such exists) came up and gave me a malware...and that pop-up has appeared TWICE. Even if Avira (but now using Avast Your love) did manage to block it, I assume that did not work. Hell, why didn't Avira gave me the option to delete the damn thing?!

If malware does not do that, then I'll go with the driver error.

Yes, that is an unlucky scenario.

Edited by Oddworld, 25 January 2010 - 07:38 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Randallrocks

Randallrocks

Bain

• Respected Member
  • 1767 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:43 PM

You can't get viruses from ads.

#19 Oddworld

Oddworld

• Official Member
  • 736 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:47 PM

Oh, but it did. As soon as the pop-up appeared, Avira told me I got malware. (Again, now I have Avast)

Posted Image

#20 Randallrocks

Randallrocks

Bain

• Respected Member
  • 1767 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

You can't get a virus unless you download something and run it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users