#1 ThatPriest

ThatPriest

Snails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • IGN:GandaIf16

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

<div align='center'></div>Welcome to my guide!

NOTE: This guide is not finished yet.
If you see any fact that is wrong, or anything that needs correcting, post it as a comment here please.

This guide is about everything I know about Maplestory that I think would help you. If you're new to the game, you should probably read this. If you have already have been playing a while, you probably shouldn't read the whole thing, but there may be parts that are worth seeing.

Legal stuff: I don't take credit for any part of the creation of Maplestory. Nexon did that.

I made this guide because I thought, "I know a lot about this game, and I should write it all down somewhere."

OK, this is my first guide, so it might not be very good. I hope it helps you anyway.

FYI: This guide is not a training guide, or skill build guide.

OK, lets get started.

Contents:
I. What is MapleStory?
II. Abbreviations and Stuff
III. Creating a Character
IV. Servers
V. Jobs
VI. Leveling Strategies/Ways to Level
VII. Free Market
VIII. Weapons and Equipments

What Is MapleStory?

--------MapleStory, or MS, is an MMORPG, or massively multiplayer online role playing game. It is made by the company Nexon, which makes a few other mmorpgs too. In my opinion, the point of MS is to entertain. What do you do? The main goals are to make friends, level up, and make money(mesos).

Abbreviations and stuff

These are not all of the abbreviations I've come across; there are more abbreviations in different sections. Here they are, in no particular order:
1.Noob..................rude for beginner, or inexperienced player
2.AFK....................Away from keyboard
3.BRB....................Be right back
4.GTG/G2G.............Got to go(as in leave and log off)
5.D/C......................Disconnect from MS, or log off
6.MS.......................MapleStory
7.DMG....................Damage
8.WTF.....................(censored version)=What In the World?
9.CC.......................change channel
10.B>......................Buying
11.S>......................Selling
12.L>.......................Looking for
13.R>......................Recruiting
14.J>........................Joining
15.T>.......................Trading
16.NX.......................Nexon Cash (Explained in "Nexon Cash")
17.Plz......................Please
18.OMG...................Oh my gosh
19.TTYL...................Talk to you later
20.Char...................Character
21.*word.................Used to correct something previously said (wrod->*word)
21.Cya....................See you later
21.Btw.....................By the way
21.Ftw.....................For the win, For the World
21.Sry/Srry..............Sorry
21.Npc.....................Non-playable Character (The people that you click on and they tell you what to do)
21.Ty......................Thank You
21.Np.....................no problem
21.Chnl/Ch................Channel
21.CC.....................Change Channel
21.Yw.....................You're welcome
21.Lol......................Laugh Out Loud
21.Lmfao.................Laughing my (censored) (donkey) off
21.Lmao..................Laughing my donkey off
21.KoC....................Knights of Cygnus (Explained in "Jobs")
21.CK......................Cygnus Knights (Explained in "Jobs")
22.Ign.....................In Game Name(screen name)
22.PQ......................Party Quest (Explained in "Party Quests")
22.Acc.....................Can mean Account or Accuracy.
23.HP......................Health Points
24.MP......................Magic Points or Mana Points
25.AP......................Ability Points
26.SP......................Skill Points
27.INT.....................Intelligence*
28.LUK....................Luck*
29.DEX....................Dexterity*
30.STR....................Strength*
*These are the four types of AP. Different jobs need different AP. Explained more in "Jobs"

Creating a Character
To make a character, log on to your account on MS and select a server, or world (see "Servers"). Then select a channel. Click on "Create a Character." It will ask you "Adventurers or Cygnus." (Important! Look at "Jobs" for advice.) Decide what name(ign) you want your character to be. Your ign has to be 4-12 letters long, and contain no cuss words or symbols like "!@#$%^&*()_+." Only numbers and letters. Most of the good names are taken, I believe. You might have to end up putting in numbers even if you don't want to. When you have chosen your name, click "create character" and log on to him/her. It's recommended that you do all the quests in Maple Island, Ereve, or Ellin, depending on your class, because they will help you level faster.

Servers

If you play on Global Maplestory (GMS), your server choices are: Scania, Bera, Broa, Windia, Khaini, Bellocan, Mardia, Kradia, Yellonde, Demethos, or Galicia. Yes, they are weird names. It doesn't really matter what server you choose, though I can tell you that these servers are pretty much ranked from most crowded to least crowded.
Also if your friend is on one server, then you should probably choose that server if you ever want to talk to your friend in MS.

More crowded Servers:
Pros:
1.More people to talk to
2.More people to pq with
3.More people to party with
Cons:
1.More crowded means more laggy. Laggy=not good. Lags can d/c you, or make the game choppy and not as fun. Recommended to be on a less crowded server if you have a slower computer or internet connection.
2.More crowded in pq places, and some pqs only allow in one party(max 6 people) per channel at a time, and there's a limited number of channels.
Neutral

Less populated servers have less channels. The more populated have 19. The less populated have 12 channels, I think, but I'm not positive.

Jobs

--------In MS, there are quite a few jobs, or classes. For each character you create, you choose one job. Choose wisely, because you can't rechoose on the same character. Here are the jobs:

Adventurers

--------Adventurers get 5 AP per level. Their max level is 200. Adventurers are the original 5 classes of Maplestory. Adventurers start out on Maple Island, and usually get to level 7 there. Then they go to Lith Harbor, which is on Victoria Island. Once you get to Victoria Island, you can never go back to Maple Island on that character. From Victoria Island, you can eventually get anywhere else in the Maple world.

1.Warrior
Warriors need 25 dex to become a warrior, then enough dex for until they feel comfortable with how much accuracy they have. Dex adds accuracy. The rest goes into strength.

2. Magician
Magicians need 20 int to become a magician, and are the only class to have first job advancement at level 8, instead of level 10 like the other jobs. To equip their weapons and clothes, they need to keep luk 3 ahead of their level. Some people make lukless magicians, which are more expensive, and shouldn't be your first character, but they attack higher. I'll say more about them in "Stat-less jobs".

3. Thief
Thieves need 25 dex to become a thief, and keep dex double their level to equip their clothes and weapons. The rest goes into luk. However, some bandits choose to become strength bandits, because some of the daggers (bandit weapons) need str. Not all the daggers need strength, but some do. Str bandits need str 10 less than their level, dex double their lvl, and the rest into luk. Some people make dexless thieves, which like magicians hit higher, but cost more. Again, I don't recommend dexless for your first character.

4. Bowman
Bowmen need 25 dex to become bowmen. In order to equip their weapons, crossbowmen need to have str equal to their level. For their weapons, bowmen need to have 5 more str than their lvl. Again, some people make strength-less (strless) bowmen, and they hit higher and cost more.

5. Pirate
Pirates need 20 dex to become a pirate. In order to equip their weapons, brawlers need dex equal to their level, and the rest into str. For weapons, gunslingers need str equal to their level, and the rest into dex. Again, sometimes people make stat-less pirates.

Knights of Cygnus

---------Knights of Cygnus(KoC) get 6 AP per level, but their max level is 120. There are 5 different types of KoC: Warrior, Magician, Thief, Bowman, and Pirate. Each type of KoC has some of the skills of the regular job (adventurer), and some new ones. For example: A 1st Job Warrior KoC has Max HP Enhancement, Iron Body, Power Strike, Slash Blast, and Soul. A regular 1st Job Warrior has Improving HP Recovery, Improving Max HP Increase, Endure, Iron Body, Power Strike, and Slash Blast. Some of the skills are the same, but some are different.

1. Warrior

2. Magician

3. Thief

4. Bowman

5. Pirate

Legend

--------Legends get 5 AP per level, and they can get to lvl 200. Right now, there is only one type of legend; the Aran. The Aran is the equivalent of a Legend Warrior. The next one to come out will be Evan, which is coming out in a few days, and is the equivalent of a Legend Magician.

1. Aran
Arans have completely different sets of skills than KoCs and Adventurers. Another thing is that instead of getting all the 1st Job skills when they get first job, they have to do quests once they get to a certain level for each additional skill. They start out with two skills, and by the time they get to second job, they have only four skills. They do this same quest-for-skill method for all job advancements.

Job Abbreviations

1. Mage................Magician
2. F/P...................Fire Poison Magician
3. I/L...................Ice Lightning Magician
4. AM...................Arch Mage (4th job F/P or I/L)
5. BW..................Blaze Wizard (KoC magician)
6. CB...................Chief Bandit or Crossbowman
7. BM...................Bowmaster
8. Sin..................Assassin
8. Dit...................Bandit
9. Sindit...............Assassin for first job, Bandit for the rest
10. DrK................Dragon Knight
11. DK.................Dark Knight
12. NL..................Night Lord

Skill Abbreviations

Or at least, the ones I have heard before.

1. FA................Final Attack
2. PKB..............Power Knock Back
3. MW..............Maple Warrior
4. SE................Sharp Eyes
5. MG...............Magic Guard
6. MC...............Magic Claw
7. Tele.............Teleport
8. HA...............Holy Arrow
9. PR................Partial Resistance
10. ER..............Elemental Resistance
11. HS..............Holy Symbol
12. SR..............Shining Ray
13. DS..............Double Shot
14. BsB.............Backspin Blow
15. CsB............Corkscrew Blow
16. SB..............Slash Blast
17. PG..............Power Guard
18. HB..............Hyperbody
19. SB..............Savage Blow
20. FJ...............Flash Jump
21. Gene............Genesis

Leveling Strategies

---------In MS, there are 3 main ways to level.
1. Party Quests
2. Questing
3. Training
4. Bossing
Here is each one, explained.

Party Quests

---------Party Quests, PQs, are sorts of activities that you do with other players. There are many PQs, and there is a different level requirement for each one. In each one, you form a party with other players and talk to an npc, which takes you in. When you are doing your first pq for each kind, it's very helpful to look at a guide. Guides can be found on different ms-related websites, including this one; mapletip.com. This guide does not give a walkthrough for each pq. An example of a pq is Henesys pq. This is the first party quest you can do upon entering MS, and you have to be at least level 10. The objective is to defend the Moon Bunny so it can make rice cakes, which your leader picks up. When your party leader has 10 rice cakes, he/she talks to an npc, and you exit. Each and every pq gives exp and/or prizes.

Types of PQs:

1. HPQ..................Henesys pq (lvl 10+)
2. KPQ..................Kerning City pq (lvls 20-30)
3. APQ..................Ariant pq (lvls 20-30)
4. No abbreviation, Nett's Pyramid* (lvls 30-at least 70)
4. MLPQ................(Mu Lung pq) Mu Lung Dojo pq (lvl 25+)
5. CPQ..................Monster Carnival pq (lvls 30-50)
6. LPQ...................Ludibrium pq (lvls 35-50)
7. APQ...................Amorian Challenge pq (lvl 40+, married couples only)
8. No abbreviation, Ellin Forest pq (lvls 45-55)
9. CPQ2.................Monster Carnival pq the second (lvls 51-70)
10. LMPQ.................Ludibrium Maze pq (lvls 51-70)
11. OPQ..................Orbis pq (lvls 51-70)
12. PPQ.................(Pirate pq) Herb Town pq (lvls 55-100)
13. MPQ.................Magatia pq (lvls 71-85)
14. CWKPQ............Crimsonwood Keep pq (lvl 90+)

*Nett's Pyramid also has a lower level pq, from level 25-30. It has basically the same idea, and is found near Kerning City.

Questing

---------Quests are not really a way most people try to level, but just something to do to get a good item or if one is bored. However, when I first started playing MS, I thought quests were the best way to level up. Don't think that. It took me half a year to get to lvl 40 doing quests, which is extremely slow. Quests are only good from levels 1-12 or so. Quests are things that you can do where you talk to any npc with a light bulb above their head, and they say to go do something. For example, 'collect 10 snail shells,' or to go talk to another npc. When you have collected the snail shells, return to the npc (It will have a closed book above their head now) and they will give you a reward. Like pqs, quests give exp and/or item rewards, depending on the quest. There are hundreds, possibly thousands of quests; different ones for different levels.

Training

---------Some levels are better for pqing, and some are better for training. Training is going to a map and fighting monsters either alone or with a party. Training can be in any map, but there's a strategy to where most players train. The good places are where a certain monster has a large spawn (appear) rate, or where a certain monster that gives a lot of experience relative to how easy it is to kill spawns. Depending on your level and job, sometimes training gives the most experience and will help level you up faster than pqs, and sometimes it's vice versa. I'm not going to give a full list of training places for each level and each job, because I don't know where to train each level of each job, and other many other guides have those lists in them.

Free Market
---------The center of the Maple economy. If you kill a monster, and it drops a good item, you either use it or go sell it in the free market (fm). In the free market entrance on channel 1, seemingly half the character online are there, trying to sell their cool chair, or their godly claw. Sometimes, there are so many people that on a slow computer, you can get d/ced. People make their money (mesos) here. From the free market entrance, there are 21 portals going in to 21 different little fms. In each one, there are little stores that have lists of items posted up for sale, just like in a weapon shop in any town. Each of the little stores belongs to someone who has NX cash, and is trying to sell their items. This way has a large advantage over the people struggling to be heard in the entrance, because you can go do something else while your items get sold.
Another thing is that in the entrance, if you're selling something and someone trades you, they either offer a price on the item you said you are selling, or ask you to name a price. Bartering. If the person offers, then 90 percent of the time they offer lower than you could sell it for. If you name a price, try to say a higher price than it will sell for, because if successful, the person will say a lower price, and then you just haggle until you reach a price you both agree on. Don't start your price too high, however, because the person will just leave. To do this, you must know how much the item sells for. Just like in the real world, prices fluctuate on most items, so it can be really hard to figure out how much something sells for. A good way to determine this is to look on basilmarket.com, a maplestory-related website that has guides and is a forum, like this website, and also has as item prices and auctions. Basilmarket is another way to sell your items. Anyway, in the little fms, you don't haggle. You set up your store and they either buy your item or leave. Sometimes they offer by telling you your price is "waaay too high," and then suggesting a lower price to sell it at. Then don't expect you to answer, because most of the store owners don't sit there and stare at the screen when they have their store up, watching the people come and go.
Like many other aspects of the game, there are strategies to selling your item in the free market. I will not get in to them, because there are guides for that, too. The fm is a huge door of opportunity. If you use it right, you may never have to worry about mesos anymore, or at least become rich.

FM Hackers

In the fm, there are a large variety of hackers and scammers, who want to take you spot from you, or your mesos. In the little fms, it can be hard to get a good spot, where people come and look at your store. D/C hackers are people who see someone with a good spot, and somehow, they d/c them so they can set up their store there. It's rude and frustrating and totally against the rules. However, this only works on the store type where the player is there, so you can go afk, but you can't go train or anything else when your store is up. There is another store type where the player can set it up and leave, going to train, or even log off.

Edited by ThatPriest, 20 March 2010 - 11:26 PM.

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Winged

Winged

These are EXTRA-ordinary times...

• Official Member
  • 455 posts
  • IGN:-

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

Very good guide so far. I would appreciate it if you would continue the guide so it would help a few people more.

#3 ThatPriest

ThatPriest

Snails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE(Winged @ Nov 5 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very good guide so far. I would appreciate it if you would continue the guide so it would help a few people more.

Yea, that's what I'm gonna do. When it's done it is going to be a large guide. But i dont have much time to work on it so it may take a while.

#4 xDannykeeper

xDannykeeper

EchoedShadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • IGN:EchoedShadow

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:07 PM

Great guide so far!
Halo Definition Number One - Circular religous object put on ones head.

Halo Definition Number Two - Circular religous object put into one's 360.

#5 CaptObvious

CaptObvious

XROS

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3893 posts
  • IGN:EXTREEEEMMEE

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:14 PM

I think it would be easier to make two seperate guides; one on abbreviations, worlds, etc. and the other on job advancements, basic training spots, etc.

#6 ThatPriest

ThatPriest

Snails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE(CaptObvious @ Nov 13 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it would be easier to make two seperate guides; one on abbreviations, worlds, etc. and the other on job advancements, basic training spots, etc.

I'm not nearly done with this guide; it's going to have a lot more topics to it. If I put it into different guides now, I wouldn't know where to put the rest of the topics.
But thanks for the suggestion, I might divide this guide eventually.

#7 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts
  • IGN:HolyOracle-Lv 90

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:25 AM

FTW means "for the win."

Posted Image

#8 ThatPriest

ThatPriest

Snails