#1 Hiyochan

Hiyochan

Windia's Ditziest BowGirl :)

• Official Member
  • 957 posts
  • IGN:Hiyochan

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

Introduction
The Zakum helmet (1) is one of the best investments in the game. On average, it adds +15 to all of your stats, as well as an average of +20 to accuracy and avoidability. The helmet has ten slots, which can be scrolled for HP, and more recently, stats.

Sounds good, right? Let's just saunter off to the Free Market and buy one!

But wait.
Currently, Zakum Helmet (1) is the only one available in gMS, and it is untradeable. The only way to get one is to loot one from the mighty Zakum, deep within the caves of El Nath. Although characters as low as level 50 can enter the altar, it usually requires one or more parties of fourth-job characters to defeat it.

But I want a helmet NOW! The helmet is wearable to all characters over the level of fifty. Since it is not plausible for a level 50 to join a run and defeat Zakum, there is another option.

Many groups will offer helms "for sale". For a sum of money, you will be allowed into the altar to loot a helmet after the group has killed Zakum. Because the helmet is untradeable, this transaction requires a great deal of trust.
  • Most groups require you to pay beforehand. Search up a reputable seller to avoid getting scammed.
  • If you are to play your own account during the fight, you are trusted to loot only when you are told. In addition to a hefty fine, a buyer who loots out of turn may be subjected to defamations, loss of reputation, and kill stealing.
  • If needed, HP equipment will be loaned to you so you can survive the run.
  • In some cases, you may wish to have one of their trusted runners play your account for the duration of the run. If you choose this option, it is especially important to pick a reputable group. Always change your pass/PIN immediately afterwards.

The fee covers the cost of apples, pay for the runners, and 2X Drop if used. Most groups will also do the required quests for a fee. You will be required to supply your own potions. Runners will include attackers, and in your party, a priest/bishop and a DK for Hyperbody.

Assumptions
This guide assumes you have already paid for your helmet, done your quests (most groups will do these for you for some extra mesos), and are completely Zakum-ready. (For tips on doing the quests and the buying process, refer here.) It also assumes that your computer is capable of running Zakum with minimal lag. Although the guide is intended for buyers, it's also great for attackers and healers =)

Let's Go!
Generally, buyer's Zakum run will take 20-30 minutes, though there are some groups capable of killing it faster.That being said, you should set aside at least a couple hours. Most groups require you to meet in El Nath about 15-30 minutes ahead of time to organize parties and ensure you have all the HP equipment and potions necessary. There may also be delays if the previous group has not yet finished, or if the altar is stolen.

You should have all of your quests completed prior to the run. (Part 3 can be done at the door assuming you have all the required materials). Meet in El Nath at the specified time at the right channel. Let the organizer know if you are running on Windows Vista. It is recommended that all other programs be turned off, and that your computer is freshly restarted. Turn your graphics down (Vista users start off with High quality graphics) and your sound off. You may also wish to disable buddy/guild chats to avoid distraction. It is essential that you listen to instructions. After organization is complete, you will be doored up to the Door of Zakum.

You should have at least 3100HP with Hyperbody (Non-mage classes only. Base HP X 1.6) to survive the worst of Zakum's attacks. If you are lacking, most runs will loan you HP equipment for the run. You should have appropriate potions, as instructed by the run organizer.

Make sure all pet loots are off

Enter the portal to your right when instructed. When you see a timer at the top of your screen, click on the NPC inside to sign up to join the "Zakum Squad". This feature allows the organizer to restrict access to the altar by crashers. If you don't sign up, you will not be allowed to enter! Once the organizer has entered, click him again to go in as well.

Fee, Fye, Foe, Fum...
As a buyer, your only job is to stay alive and connected. For this reason, you'll want to keep your potions on a very accessible key. I like to put my potions on CTRL.

You may also want to remove the following shortcuts from your hotkeys:
  • Cash Shop
  • World Map
  • Quest
  • Messenger
  • Whispers

When activated, these shortcuts will either A)cause lag, or B)open up a dialog which will require action to close, therefore blocking the use of potions.

An Eye of Fire will be dropped in the centre of the map, summoning Zakum. During the first 15 seconds or so, most users will experience extreme lag. Some groups may ask runners to refrain from attacking in this time.

Hug the left wall. This is where you will stay during the fight. If you're ever in doubt of your position, hold LEFT and pot like crazy. Refer to the minimap, which I like to keep over Zakum's body. Although you'll have a priest to heal you, keep an eye on your health and skills. If you are a mage, keep magic guard up at all times. Do not, under any circum stances, run into the body, which does over 10k! If you are killed, for whatever reason, be ready for a resurrection if your group offers it.

If your priest/DK disconnects, listen very closely for instructions. In most cases, the priest/DK from the attacking party will be moved to the buyers party. If you have been given leadership due to the disconnection, pass it to a member of the run.

The first stage of Zakum is the arms. Zakum has eight arms, which all must be killed before the monster's three bodies can be touched. Most of the arms are of no concern to you, but watch out for the curse arm. It is usually the last arm to be killed; while it's alive, expect your priest to pause healing briefly to dispel.Vista users, switch to low-graphic when only the curse arm remains. During the arms, you will incur some damage, but you should not be using too many potions here.

Zakum has three body stages, but they all attack the same. Zakum gives tell-tail signs prior to attacking, so watching his body will allow you to use a potion the moment he attacks.

Zakum is about to reduce everyone's HP and MP to 1. As soon as the halo expands and pops, pot. If you are a magician, heal both your HP AND MP because if you don't have enough HP to take another attack, you're dead.

Zakum is going to stun. Columns of fire will appear on the floor; characters directly above these will be affected. If your priest is stunned, be prepared to use a few potions. Stun will last around 4 seconds. Some priests will shout "s" when stunned to inform buyers.

This one's not such a big deal, but it does inflict damage. Zakum will throw some lightning bolts, attacking the entire map. In addition to dealing damage, everyone will also be sealed. Expect a second of non-healing as the priest dispels.

After Zakum has been killed, stay to the left. Do not loot anything unless you have been told to do so. Failure to comply may result in a fine, KSing and/or harassment. Looting out of turn is disrespectful to the group who worked so hard to get you your helmet, and to other buyers who now may not get helmed. Looting out of turn is not worth it.

Typically, three buyers (the average number of helms) will be taken per run, but Zakum drops from 1-5 helmets per death, so depending on the number of buyers, you may or may not get a helmet. Even on 2X drop, I've seen just 1 helmet drop multiple times. If you do not receive a helm on the first try, please be patient and try again next time. Remember that the group wants to see a helm on your head just as much as you do, and that they have taken time out of their personal lives to try to get you a helmet. Please don't attack the runners or the organizer if you do not receive a helmet. I'm sure you'll find the process of helming a rewarding and satisfying one.

And in advance, congratulations on your helm!

Acknowledgments
I do not own, nor am I affiliated with MapleStory or Nexon in any way.

<3's to my guild and alliance for allowing me to partake in our Zakum runs.

Thanks to HS and BannedStory for the images.

Edited by Hiyochan, 13 February 2009 - 03:44 PM.

Windia:
Hiyochan - lvl 128 Bowmaster <120 01/23/09>
LaLaaLove - lvl 5x xBowGirl
SmoochuLa - Lvl 5x Cleric
MemorianM00 - HB/Zakum mule in-training
Scania:
Babbeeestarz - lvl 9x Priest

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Harmonic

Harmonic

:)

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 1194 posts
  • IGN:dennisnoaqui

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(Hiyochan @ Feb 11 2009, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/i]Let the organizer know if you are running on Windows Vista.[/i]

;p Fix the italics up.

Nice guide. But is there any way to make it run smoother? o:

yayhancock

#3 Hiyochan

Hiyochan

• Official Member
  • 957 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

Thanks, done. ^^

I mentioned Vista because there's a glitch that seems to target certain people where the body will disappear and you'll disconnect. Switching the graphics quality from high to low seems to solve this for most people.
Windia:
Scania:

#4 Bodom

Bodom

Hero.

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2565 posts
  • IGN:Strombidae

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:04 PM

This'll help me a bit more when/if I get to Buccaneer, I'd love to be an attacker.

Just a question -- why do Vista users (like me on this new computer) need to switch quality so much? I mean, I would obviously go lowest quality, but why switch a million times?
Strombidae - 123 Windia Hero. 2-monster hitting Brandish is so hot.
SeasonabIe - 49 Windia Cleric. Unmotivated to level.

??????? - Night Walker in progress.

#5 Hiyochan

Hiyochan

• Official Member
  • 957 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:05 PM

It just prevents disconnection. I don't really know the details since I'm not a techie person though, sorry =\

Edited by Hiyochan, 11 February 2009 - 05:05 PM.

Windia:
Scania:

#6 MariaColette

MariaColette

Bowmaster at heart.

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 5436 posts
  • IGN:MariettaRC (RIP MariaColette)

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:26 PM

Awesome guide! One little nit-pick, though;

"Zakum is going to stun. Columns of fire will appear on the floor; characters directly above these will be affected."

Shouldn't that be below? mush1k.gif

Click the image to see my deviantART!
Artifact Hunt: 2nd place winner, March 7th, 2010.
Main character: MariettaRC - Level 157 Bowmaster.
Main secondary character: Paratroopea - Level 124 Corsair.
Main tertiary characters: DrMarioPhD - Level 140 Bishop / Sujinpuffy - Level 110 I/L Mage
... and a billion other alts...
Proud Co-Master of KoopaForce.

#7 Novacide

Novacide

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • IGN:Novacide

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

PLease please PLEASE do your research before you trust to buy from a guild doing a zrun. I lost my account to some scammers and have to start over.

#8 MoogleBunny

MoogleBunny

Busy.

• MapleTip Contributor
  • 424 posts
  • Location:In the middle of nowhere. It's barren and snowy/rainy here!
  • IGN:AoHaruIro

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:55 PM

Actually, another thing I've seen some guilds do concerning that arm is to have Vista is to keep the quality low the whole time and then during a part of it, go to the top of the map and alt+tab out of the game, then click back on the game and run back to the left wall part of the map (I think there is a pause after the arm part before the body. Doing this didn't disconnect me during the run that I got to go on.)
If you see anyone with the username Mooglebunny on any site other than: Youtube, MapleTip, Roliana, AKFG Fan Forums, dslreports, livejournal, Final Gear, or Menewsha, then it's not me! It's an impostor! D:
Bye people. You don't like me. I've always known that. =]

#9 Hiyochan

Hiyochan

• Official Member
  • 957 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:28 PM

@Karen:
I don't mind it; it's a work in progress afterall. I just wanted it to be finished for the run, so I didn't really proof-read it much either x]

The columns appear on the floor though, so if you're standing over (above) it, you'll be stunned. If you were below them, you'd be off the map :33

@MoogleBunny:
I've heard of doing something like that too, but I couldn't recall the exact process. Do you mind if I quote you in the original thread? Thanks mush1n.gif
Windia:
Scania:

#10 MelonPops

MelonPops

What the flegnog?

• Official Member
  • 817 posts
  • IGN:ItsCnnAgain

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:03 PM

Is there a sign when Zakum is going to dispel?

Windia
ItsCnnAgain 160
CptnGreaves 94

#11 Hiyochan

Hiyochan

• Official Member
  • 957 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:33 PM

Zakum doesn't dispell =)
Windia:
Scania:

#12 MariaColette

MariaColette

Bowmaster at heart.

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 5436 posts
  • IGN:MariettaRC (RIP MariaColette)

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE(Hiyochan @ Feb 13 2009, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@Karen:
I don't mind it; it's a work in progress afterall. I just wanted it to be finished for the run, so I didn't really proof-read it much either x]

The columns appear on the floor though, so if you're standing over (above) it, you'll be stunned. If you were below them, you'd be off the map :33

Ohh, I thought they fell from above. o_o Hokay, my bad, I've never fought Zakum before anyway. :3

Click the image to see my deviantART!
Artifact Hunt: 2nd place winner, March 7th, 2010.
Main character: MariettaRC - Level 157 Bowmaster.
Main secondary character: Paratroopea - Level 124 Corsair.
Main tertiary characters: DrMarioPhD - Level 140 Bishop / Sujinpuffy - Level 110 I/L Mage
... and a billion other alts...
Proud Co-Master of KoopaForce.

#13 Judgment

Judgment

I have failed at being human.

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2487 posts
  • IGN:Thalid

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:06 AM

You may also want to add this for people who are interesting in having the buyers run on your account:

After you've successfully gotten a helm from a buyer running on your account, change your password and PIN immediately.

Usually, the sellers won't be held liable if you get hacked afterwards, but there's still the danger of getting hacked afterwards due to certain reasons such as the buyers getting keylogged and somehow getting your account info, or if the buyers decide to hack you for some ridiculous reason such as revenge or just to be arseholes.

Oops, it looks like you already mentioned it, but I still wanted to bring up a bit of reasoning behind doing this.

Edited by Judgment, 13 February 2009 - 02:07 AM.

The WK is still far from dead, albeit still barely alive.

WoW: US|Detheroc|Alliance Horde |Thallid Censtranomic|Paladin
You can thank Faction Transfers for that.

#14 Tiger

Tiger

Smack that.

• Respected Member
  • 2230 posts
  • IGN:Parrrrrley - On Zenith!!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:08 AM

Very informative guide. I'll be sure to use it when I end up getting my Zakum Helmet (if that ever happens... ._.)

#15 Res

Res

Octopus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • IGN:ResXI

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:04 PM

Bookmarked!

Awesome guide for whenever I want one. mush1a.gif
But how long does an average Z-Run take?

#16 Hiyochan

Hiyochan

• Official Member
  • 957 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:37 PM

@Karen:
The actual stunners do fall from the the ceiling, but the warning signal appears on the ground.

@Res:
It depends on the number and strength of attackers, and how soon they use apples. Most runs will take about 20-30 minutes, but there are some which can kill Zakum faster.

Although the run itself only lasts 30 minutes, you should set aside at least a couple hours. Most groups require you to meet in El Nath about 15-30 minutes ahead of time to organize parties and ensure you have all the HP equipment and potions necessary. There may also be delays if the previous group has not yet finished, or if the altar is stolen.

---

Added a bit more emphasis on changing the PIN/password, and added information regarding the duration of the run.

Edited by Hiyochan, 13 February 2009 - 03:44 PM.

Windia:
Scania:

#17 Exculpation

Exculpation

The real Conficker

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 1525 posts
  • IGN:ILWizard27

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:31 PM

Woah nice guide.

Good use of images and headings are easy to find.

I approve. <3

#18 kevin y

kevin y

Drake

• Official Member
  • 589 posts
  • IGN:kevinpyr

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:57 AM

Good guide here, I have just a few things to add:
  • Translate the 3100 HP requirement for Mages (620 HP, 2480 MP with maxed MG after HB)
  • Quick guide for pots: Cheese for Archers/Thieves, Ginger Ale for Warriors with 4.2k+ HP (Mages with 850 HP), Honsters for Warriors with 5k+. In general, get pots that heal 3k HP. 400 of them is enough for all but the slowest Zruns.
  • I find that looking at the visual cues room instead of Zak itself is an easier way to know what attack he will use. White expanding flash = 1/1, lightning = 2.5k-ish + Seal, flares on the ground = 3k + Stun.
  • Don't groups nowadays actually kill the Curse arm first instead of last because it slows attackers down? The runs I go to usually kill 2 or 3 arms on the left (including Curse), then kill all 4 on right, then finish with top left. Most of the pre-4th job runs I been to did wait until the end to kill the Curse arm because runs took forever and people needed a break.
  • Zakum summons are pretty dangerous and you should probably mention them, because getting bumped into a body by a summon is a pretty common scenario.
  • Sometimes (at least in our runs) you won't even have a Priest as a buyer
  • Don't click "OK" if you die before you know for sure you won't be resurrected

- Bellocan
Kevynpy - 17x Bowmaster
Aubergines - 11x White Knight
Characid - 9x Battle Mage

Page/White Knight/Paladin Guide - terribly out of date
Everest - Guild Boss Hunting Event - Winner!

#19 ČRob

ČRob

• Official Member
  • 1003 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:18 AM

^ I used to watch for the white flash when I was on my buying run, as a mage(with HP gear anyway) all that mattered was living after getting 1/1'd during Zak. The rest was a piece of cake for me to get through. ^^

#20 Hiyochan

Hiyochan

• Official Member
  • 957 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE(kevin y @ Feb 18 2009, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good guide here, I have just a few things to add:
  • Translate the 3100 HP requirement for Mages (620 HP, 2480 MP with maxed MG after HB)
  • Quick guide for pots: Cheese for Archers/Thieves, Ginger Ale for Warriors with 4.2k+ HP (Mages with 850 HP), Honsters for Warriors with 5k+. In general, get pots that heal 3k HP. 400 of them is enough for all but the slowest Zruns.
  • I find that looking at the visual cues room instead of Zak itself is an easier way to know what attack he will use. White expanding flash = 1/1, lightning = 2.5k-ish + Seal, flares on the ground = 3k + Stun.
  • Don't groups nowadays actually kill the Curse arm first instead of last because it slows attackers down? The runs I go to usually kill 2 or 3 arms on the left (including Curse), then kill all 4 on right, then finish with top left. Most of the pre-4th job runs I been to did wait until the end to kill the Curse arm because runs took forever and people needed a break.
  • Zakum summons are pretty dangerous and you should probably mention them, because getting bumped into a body by a summon is a pretty common scenario.
  • Sometimes (at least in our runs) you won't even have a Priest as a buyer
  • Don't click "OK" if you die before you know for sure you won't be resurrected

Thanks, I'll be sure to add those in later mush1n.gif If you're a buyer and close enough to get smashed into the body by a summon, you're probably WAY too close so I didn't really add much about it -- I'll add it when I update though just in case.

I've never heard of a priest-less buyer run o__o. How does that usually go? How common are buyer deaths (or do you have the runners go on the accounts)? Also, is this a common scenario in other servers? I can only speak of the servers I've played (Scania until May 2008, and Windia from that point onward).
Windia:
Scania:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users