•         

May you guys help us on...

#1 dragonzrkool

dragonzrkool

Evan Tard

• Official Member
  • IGN:Dragonzrkool

24 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

Ok, as you guys may have heard before I'm part of another community as well. I'm not going to mention the name, as it is advertisement, and I'm not going to mention names either. We just need generalizations on what to do.

It started with this member. He was ok at first, but he swore a lot. And at the time we were stricter on swearing than we are now. That wasnt too much of a problem though, the mods and admins (Me and a few others) edited the post and all was fine.

Well he turned out to be a problem when he started bashing on other members, and causing flame wars. A lot of flame wars = a lot of drama and drama on a forum doesn't go over well.

So after a while he wound up getting banned. However, he wasn't over with yet.

He created an alt, and we saw he was posting very much like the old member.
Well we had him banned (IP Check).

But he still wasn't over with. After a while of new alts, a couple mods got banning abilities (Me one of them) which made it easier.

But it seemed he wouldn't let up on the alts then.

After a while of dealing with him and a few other problem members, which now reside in a community of their own that is twisting into part of the current problem, pretty much hate us for banning them over things they think they didn't do.

After a while, he had a discussion with the main admin of the site, and he was able to come back, along with 1 other. The 1 other messed up once again, and personally targets me.

Anyways he's not much of the problem... yet.

The main problem member was actually looking like he had his stuff straight... until he started up with it again. After a report I got of a threatening PM after a heated chatbox argument, pretty much told him to get the hell off that very minute.

He got banned, again, and continued to pester with alts... but then finally quit for a while.

He hasn't made any alts, or pulled any stupid crap for about 2 months now. But, things are starting to become a problem again.

He is pulling stuff behind our backs on the other community to make us out like we're going to hack them, and he is at us with the alts again.

This time... the bad thing is... he's learned how to use proxies very well. Now... it becomes a problem.

It's gotten a lot harder to tell which new member is who. And it's not going to be good for us. And with his lying we may get all the other problem members who weren't bad with the alts, we may have them come back like him.

A LOOOOOOONG story short. We need help and ideas on what to do. It's becoming harder and harder to tell who is who... especially now that he claims he has an account we haven't banned yet (Which I believe is a lie... but better be on the safe side). He's gotten major out of hand, and every time he strikes back he's more aggressive then before. We don't have 1 solution to keep him out for good. He makes new emails, he gets new proxies, he pretty much is desperate just to hate on us and ruin us.

":|"

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Fayeaura

Fayeaura

Nependeath

• MD Members

24 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

How big is the community? If it is a smaller one, maybe it would help if new members weren't able to join right away, but need a mod to approve them for the forum. Just keep banning him, but don't ban if you aren't sure it is that person, because you could ban another person accidentally. You can always delete bad flame posts, and warn anyone who is reported to harass members through pms and such, maybe banning if members can tell it is that person.

#3 dragonzrkool

dragonzrkool

Evan Tard

• Official Member

24 January 2009 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(Fayeaura @ Jan 24 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How big is the community? If it is a smaller one, maybe it would help if new members weren't able to join right away, but need a mod to approve them for the forum. Just keep banning him, but don't ban if you aren't sure it is that person, because you could ban another person accidentally. You can always delete bad flame posts, and warn anyone who is reported to harass members through pms and such, maybe banning if members can tell it is that person.

A bit what we've been doing so far. We at one time had it where you had to be approved by an admin of the forum, but the admins only come on at a certain time of the day and this really put down new members so we changed it to self-activation.

The host we use, I know how it works. It's either self-activation, or activation by an admin... which makes it a real hassle... admins aren't on all day... and they're not really on enough to check each on out first.

I could ask about adding this back... just for the time being.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Also, you're right... it's a smaller community.

#4 Fayeaura

Fayeaura

Nependeath

• MD Members

24 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

If you're having problems with a problem member who keeps coming back, it might be the thing to do. Anyway, people don't have to be approved that quickly; as long as someone can accept them within a day or two it should be fine. How do you think you guys would decide who to approve into the forum? It seems like you can't tell who he is just by the names he makes.

#5 dragonzrkool

dragonzrkool

Evan Tard

• Official Member

24 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(Fayeaura @ Jan 24 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you're having problems with a problem member who keeps coming back, it might be the thing to do. Anyway, people don't have to be approved that quickly; as long as someone can accept them within a day or two it should be fine. How do you think you guys would decide who to approve into the forum? It seems like you can't tell who he is just by the names he makes.

We can tell a lot of the time it is him. By the names... but it's still dis-concerning when he makes a tricky alt...

We just want a solution to get rid of him and allow new members.

And after having it changed over from that... there may be troubles getting the admins to accept the idea back. (Though it may work well)

#6 Shadow0B

Shadow0B

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • IGN:punkgurrl54

24 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

does he happen to use the name UncleVladamier at all?
Shadow the Hedgehog™ (me, despite being a lifeform) is © SEGA and SonicTeam

#7 dragonzrkool

dragonzrkool

Evan Tard

• Official Member

24 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(Shadow0B @ Jan 24 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
does he happen to use the name UncleVladamier at all?

No. He's a different person.

#8 AxleSteve

AxleSteve

Snails

• Members
  • IGN:AxleSteve

24 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

Well I think that you have a good plan here asking other forums Dragonz, Its getting too difficult to deal with on our own.

Please Visit Saphira!

#9 Shadow0B

Shadow0B

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • IGN:punkgurrl54

24 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

ok, I'll see what I can do. If anyone with that name I gave you earlier gets on, BAN HIM IMMEDATELY! as he's been rude to several people
Shadow the Hedgehog™ (me, despite being a lifeform) is © SEGA and SonicTeam

#10 dragonzrkool

dragonzrkool

Evan Tard

• Official Member

24 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(AxleSteve @ Jan 24 2009, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I think that you have a good plan here asking other forums Dragonz, Its getting too difficult to deal with on our own.

Yeah... it seems like a good idea Axle.

And thanks for the heads up Shadow.

#11 Suri

Suri

Professional

• Mapletip Veterans

24 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

Can't you just IP ban all major proxies? o_o I'm pretty sure there's a way to do that...

Otherwise, ask him why he's being such a pain in the butt. Try to resolve your differences or something.

Or stop retaliating. When he gets bored, he'll stop.

#12 dragonzrkool

dragonzrkool

Evan Tard

• Official Member

25 January 2009 - 01:03 AM

Well I think we're starting to settle out the differences.
I'm not sure if it'll fully work but.

#13 Tich

Tich

Tide Warden

• MapleTip Contributor
  • IGN:TIIIIIIIIICH SHOWAAAAAAAAAAAA

25 January 2009 - 04:57 AM

If this second community is pestering yours, contact their host and make a complaint about their actions (it's probably invisionfree or something), if you do, they might shut down the board because of their trouble.

But then again I'm not really up to speed on what is really going on or how any of the communities function.

olic1.jpg
Knowledge is power and I... know a lot.

#14 dragonzrkool

dragonzrkool

Evan Tard

• Official Member

25 January 2009 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE(amTich @ Jan 25 2009, 05:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If this second community is pestering yours, contact their host and make a complaint about their actions (it's probably invisionfree or something), if you do, they might shut down the board because of their trouble.

But then again I'm not really up to speed on what is really going on or how any of the communities function.

We're both by the same host. It's just our community is larger, but they're both still really small communities.

For now, everyone seems to have settled everything and we aren't where we were before, but all of us mods and admins will make sure to keep this topic on page just in case that section of peace decides to break.

So we may, or may not have to bring this topic back around, but as for the time being... I think we have it settled. Thank you all for your suggestions, we'll know a bit better on what to attempt if it gets this bad again. (And something bothers me that it will)