•         

Bellatrixa's Beginner Mage Guide

#1 Bellatrixa

Bellatrixa

B> Mistletoe

• Official Member
  • IGN:Bellatrixa/Hollis

07 January 2009 - 10:57 PM

As a lot of people seem unsure about how to build a first job mage and don't think of checking other guides, here's a simple and easy to use one.

Why Choose a Mage?

Pros

- Great meso makers when played properly
- Fun to play as
- Ranged attacks
- Have great support skills

Cons

- Have little HP despite Magic Guard so can die a lot early on if not careful
- MP potions cost more than Health Potions
- Low damage compared to other classes
- Training spots can be limited due to elemental damage dependency

Luk or Lukless?

Pros

- Higher damage as all AP goes into Int
- One set of equips which last a long time
- Faster training due to more damage
- Can train at higher level enemies faster thanks to higher damage

Cons

- Lose 10% exp when you die (demoralising!) as opposed to the 5% of a Luk mage
- One set of equips meaning you have nothing to level for
- Lukless mage equips are still pretty expensive in eMS at higher levels. Probably will drop a bit once we get Maple weapons
- All lukless mages look the same so NX is the only answer to looking "pretty"
- Can't use Spell Booster in 3rd job if an umbrella is equipped

Personally, I prefer regular luk. I like working towards my new equips, plus I'm too cheap to keep spending NX on covering up a sauna robe mush1k.gif They are pretty cheap until you start scrolling (a good Int Sauna is hellishly expensive in eMS). Plus as most lukless mage equips can only be scrolled with dark scrolls (which have a 50% chance of breaking the item is they fail), it can be a real gamble to get good equips without poofing them on the last slot. If you're going lukless, you might well be able to try the training areas I suggest earlier than regular luk mages.

Let's start at the very beginning:

The Stat Roll

Mages need Int. Luk is optional. If you're going regular luk, you want your Luk to be +3 of your level (so you can equip things). In that case your stat roll is easier. All you need to do is Have 4/4 in Strength and Dex. What I generally do is roll the dice until my Int is something like 9+, then see how many points are in the other attributes. You can get away with 5/5 Str/Dex, but you might want to consider resetting those points later with NX cash to get down to 4/4. Why 4/4? That's the lowest that an attribute can be and frees up points for Int (which is your main priority). At the start of the game, there are 25 attribute points to roll. "Perfect" stats would be 4/4/13/4. If you're a REAL perfectionist (or want a Lukless mage), these would be the stats to aim for.

So, you have your AP rolled. Now what? As you won't be adding points into strength, choose the wooden club as your weapon. Looks fugly, but does the most damage out of the beginner weapons. The clothes you choose don't matter. Once you're done, choose your name and off you go!

Maple Island

First part is the training camp. Just follow the conveyor belts. You get a couple of quests here that are part of familiarising yourself with the controls (which you can reassign to other keys). I personally like shift as my pickup button instead of z, and move attack to a later on once I start using spells to attack. The monsters in the training camp do no damage to you. If your goal is to get off the island as fast as possible, I recommend levelling to about 5 here (saves on pots at the expense of no meso drops). Once you feel you're able to take down a green snail in two or less hits (they have 8 HP), click the NPC at the door to leave. You get 3 beginner skills, none of which are massively amazing. Each level up you get 3 SP to spend. I usually go with Recovery (useful until you get your relaxer) and Nimble Feet (which I've never used). You CAN take Three Snails
as an alternative way of attacking, but it DOES use MP, plus you have to carry snail shells in your inventory to throw at monsters... If you're fast at levelling, it's a worthless skill, although if you decide to max your MP recovery and increase before even putting a single point into Energy Bolt, you might want to hang onto your snail shells and max this skill.

Ability point allocation with each level is simple. If you're going Lukless, all AP goes into Int, 4 Int and 1 Luk if you're going regular luk. Told you it was simple.

To become a magician you need to be Lv 8. Stay on Maple Island until Lv 7 (get your % to something like 90 or so) before getting the ship from Southperry. It doesn't cost much so having 500 mesos should be no great problem. Having over 1k mesos is the best option as that way once you get to Lith Harbour, you can talk to an NPC next to the boat (NOT the VIP taxi!) to take you to Ellinia.

Quests on Maple Island

I personally do all the quests. It's possible to kill orange mushrooms with your nub mage, but it can be a bit tough. Don't obsess about it though, the rewards aren't excellent. My main character never did them. Try taking on orange mushrooms (remember, beginners don't lose experience when they die!) and if you find them too strong, concentrate on getting to your goal for leaving. Don't put points into Strength just for the sake of a newer weapon (which you'll end up selling soon anyway). The other quests are simple and straightforward, involving nothing tougher than Red Snails.

Pio's Collecting Recycled Goods is the quest that gives you the relaxer (chair which recovers 50 HP every 10 seconds). DO THIS QUEST! I can't stress that enough. Although you can buy a chair in Lith, it only recovers half the HP of the relaxer. The quest itself is simple and just requires you to go around breaking open wooden crates to get the screws and wood from inside. You will come to love this chair once you leave Maple Island. Also, it can help you with HP recovery if you're desperate to finish the Mai's Training and Bigg's Collection of Items quests (the two that involve killing orange mushrooms).

So, you've done all your quests that you can, got your character to Lv 7 (and over 50%)... Now what?

Go to Southperry and talk to Shanks (the short dude on the boat) who will ask you if you want to leave Maple Island. You won't be able to come back, but as you want to go advance and have stronger monsters to train on, it's no real big loss.

First Job Advancement

Wow, so many places to go... The world map looks kinda daunting... Talk to Olaf who has a little lightbulb above his head. He'll ask you a few questions about job advancements. The answers are pretty simple (and can be looked up on a few Maplestory fan sites that offer quest help), although the answers should be pretty intuitive. He'll then ask you what job you want to take. Say you want to follow the path of the Magician, then go back to where you got off the ship. There are two NPCs standing next to a ticket booth. Click the guy on the left (who's name I seriously can't remember), and ask to be taken somewhere else. He'll then give you an option of the 4 major towns in Victoria Island. Choose Ellinia, then go to the very top right of the town to Grendel The Really Old's house. He will give you some exp (which should level you to 8), then click him again and ask to become a magician.

Spend your AP as normal, then open up your lovely little skill menu. A new book has been added to it: "Intro to Magic".

This is where the fun begins! The most commonly used build is as follows:

Level 8: Energy Bolt +1
Level 9: Improving MP Recovery +3
Level 10: Improving MP Recovery +2, Improving Max MP +1
Level 11: Improving Max MP +3
Level 12: Improving Max MP +3
Level 13: Improving Max MP +3 (Maxed)
Level 14: Improving MP Recovery +3
Level 15: Improving MP Recovery +3
Level 16: Improving MP Recovery +3
Level 17: Improving MP Recovery +2, Magic Claw +1
Level 18: Magic Claw +3
Level 19: Magic Claw +3
Level 20: Magic Claw+3
Level 21: Magic Claw +3
Level 22: Magic Claw +3
Level 23: Magic Claw +3
Level 24: Magic Claw+1 (Maxed), Magic Guard +2
Level 25: Magic Guard +3
Level 26: Magic Guard +3
Level 27: Magic Guard +3
Level 28: Magic Guard +3
Level 29: Magic Guard +3
Level 30: Magic Guard +3 (Maxed)

At the end you have:

Energy Bolt - 1
Improving Max MP - Maxed
Improving MP Recovery - Maxed
Magic Claw - Maxed
Magic Guard - Maxed

Why these skills in this order?

Let's take a look at them...

Energy Bolt vs Magic Claw

Energy Bolt
Type: Active
Description: Use MP to attack one enemy.
Level 20: MP -14; Basic attack 55, mastery 60%

Magic Claw (Pre-requisite: Energy Bolt Lv. 1 )
Type: Active
Description: Use MP to attack an enemy twice.
Level 20: MP -20; Basic attack 40 x 2 Hit, mastery 60%

Basically, Magic Claw can hit for more, can penetrate some walls (like steps) and therefore is a better choice for a mage.

Improving Max MP Increase (Pre-requisite: Improving MP recovery Lv. 5)
Type: Passive
Description: This skill boosts up the amount of increase on MaxMP after each Level UP, or AP used on MaxMP.
Level 10: If Level UP, +20 more; if AP applied, +10 more on top on MaxMP

You want high MP without putting AP into it, therefore maxing this first is your priority

Improving MP Recovery
Type: Passive
Description: Recovering even more MP every 10 sec. The higher the level of the character and

the skill level, the more recovery it enables the character to have.
Level 16: Constant additional recovery of MP

MP pots cost a lot, therefore you want to regain MP as quickly as possible. The higher the level of this skill, the more MP you get back. Also affects MP recovery while sitting down.

Magic Guard vs Magic Armour

Magic Guard
Type: Supportive
Description: Temporarily replaces damage with MP instead of HP. If MP reaches 0, the HP takes a full hit.
Level 20: MP -12; Replace 80% of HP damage as MP for 600 seconds.

Magic Armor (Pre-requisite: Magic Guard Lv. 3)
Type: Supportive
Description: Temporarily boosts the weapon defense by blowing magic into the armor.
Level 20: MP -16; Weapon Def. +40 for 400 seconds.

Mages don't really need weapon def. When you get later in the game, monsters such as Bains and Death Teddies will do more damage to you with magic attacks than weapon (touch) attacks. As Magic Armour only ups your weapon defence, it's pretty useless and you will be made of much explode. Remember, mages have low HP and high MP. If you're changing HP damage into MP damage, you're going to survive as opposed to simply having higher weapon defence. Also, there are various potions and food that can up your weapon defence if you REALLY want more. There's nothing that will convert HP damage into MP damage apart from Magic Guard. Maxing it means with less than 1k HP, you can take on enemies that would otherwise one hit kill you. If you're reading this and haven't got maxed Magic Guard, my advice is to either 1) start over or 2) reset your SP pronto.

Training Areas for First Job

8-15 - Ellinia: The Tree That Rose/Grew I (top portal of Ellinia, one map left) - Slimes and Stumps. Good spawn, close to town. Nowhere near as packed as Henesys Hunting Ground, so more time to kill without being disturbed.
Perion: Perion Street Corner (top left portal from Perion) - Stumps and Axe Stumps. Best around level 12-15 once you've got more Int, therefore a stronger Energy Bolt.

15- 20 - Sleepywood: Swampy Land Deep In the Forest (the map left of Sleepywood "town") - Green Mushrooms and Horned Mushrooms. Again, close to town, nice spawn. Good sniping spot as well on a platform meaning you don't get hit. Can get busy though ;_;
Ellinia: The Tree That Rose/Grew III (2 maps north of TTTR I) - Green Mushrooms, Slimes and Stumps. Pretty quiet, chance of getting Panlids from Green Mushies.

20-25 - Victoria Road: Pig Beach (hidden portal in 3-Way Road Split on the way from Lith Harbour) - Pigs and Ribbon Pigs. Can turn into a KS fest with many people there looking for Pig's Heads for quests. Also chances of Iron Pigs turning up and killing you. I personally didn't train there for long.
Kerning City: Kerning City Construction Site (map left of Kerning City), Caution Falling Down (hidden map at the top of the construction site) - Octopi and Orange Mushrooms. You should be able to easily kill Orange Mushrooms now, plus they have a fast spawn here. Octopus legs are needed for a quest as well as giving good exp.
Kerning City: Subway Line 1 Area 1 (first map in Kerning City Subway) - Bubblings. Good exp, quest items, and close to town in case you end up needing to repot. Again, can get on the busy side at times.
Zipangu: Mushroom Forest (portal on the right of Mushroom Shrine) - Orange Mushrooms, Green Mushrooms and Blue Mushrooms. Yeah, a looot of mushrooms! Lots of good sniping spots in case you can't quite take the damage dealt by the hyper bouncy Orange and Blue mushrooms.

25-30 - Zipangu: Mountain of Cloud Fox (first portal on the left in Mushroom Shrine) - Cloud Fox. Fairly good exp, plus you need the foxtails for a quest (or to sell to other players who also want to do the quest).
Perion: Land of Wild Boar (Hidden portal in Perion Street Corner) - Wild Boar and Dark Axe Stumps. Nice exp, two quests linked to this place, and Sap of Ancient Tree drops fairly regularly. DO NOT USE IT! You will need to for a couple of quests later on and people love to sell them for 30k+ each.
Sleepywood: Ant Tunnel I-IV (Maps right from Sleepywood "town") - Horned and Zombie Mushrooms. Not really exciting, you'll be sharing the maps with a lot of people so kill stealing happens often. On the plus side, there are quests for killing 99/999 of them which have not to bad rewards for these levels. They also make it feel less like training and more like seeing how many you can kill quickly.
Sleepywood: Darker Passage/Dangerous Steam (Further right from Ant Tunnel IV) - Stirges, Zombie Mushrooms and Horned Mushrooms. These maps are usually pretty quiet, despite the fact that you need 10 stirge wings for Luke The Security Guard's quest. Anyhow, Zombie and Horned Shrooms here will also count on the 99/999 quests, and stirges give nice exp.
Kerning City: Transfer Area (Map to the right of Subway Line 1 Area 1) - Stirges. Fast spawn, good exp. Steel ore's pretty useful for making screws as well.
Singapore: Central Way 1, Central Way 2 (CBD, maps to the right) - Biners, Stopnows. Drops aren't amazing, but the quests give a nice chunk of exp for killing enemies with low HP.
Warning Street: The Burnt Land I-III (Doorway in the middle of Dangerous Valley II) - Fire Boars. Good exp, great meso drops, and also the chance of Arwen's Glass Shoe. If you've played mages before, you should find this place great. If you're finding it a bit too difficult, go back to Wild Boars for a bit longer.

Recommended Equipment 0-30:

To be totally honest... Mages are pretty cheap with equipment in early levels. A lot of people waste mesos earlier on worrying about how their character looks. It's not worth spending 2k on a hat that gives you an extra +2 Weapon Defence, or synthesising one for close to 20k after ore costs when it gives you magic defence that you don't need.

So, here's a quick summary of equips you can save mesos on:

Hats:

Apprentice Hat - Don't bother with. You should have a skullcap/headband from Maple Island. You don't need the added Magic Defence yet.
Conehead - Waste of mesos for an extra 3 Weapon Defence.
Wizardry Hat - Again, 5 Weapon Defence so not worth it.
Pride - By now (lv 30) you should have a fair few ores. These are kinda pointless unless you can't manage Nemi's Dilemma (Level 28 quest).
Jester - Your first serious mage hat. You get a Green Jester from completing Nemi's Dilemma, which is a nice +2 Int hat. I wouldn't bother with any of the other Jesters.

Top:

Armine (F)/Training Shirt (M) - Not much difference between these and your starter clothes. Waste of 2k really.
Arianne (F) - Only if it takes you a long time to get from Lv 13-18. Purple gives +1 Int... But I'd wait personally.
Split Piece (M/F) - Black gives +1 Int. You'd be best off sticking with this for a while.
Fairy Robe (F) - Purple = +2 int. Buy if you don't have a better Amoria top waiting.

Bottom:

Armine Skirt (F)/Training Pants (M) - Again, stick with starter clothes.
Arianne Skirt (F) - None of these actually give an Int boost, so you can save by sticking with your starter bottoms still.
Split Skirt (F)/Split Pants (M) - Still no good boosts. +5 MP/HP isn't worth 8k. Really.
Fairy Skirt (F) - Purple gives +1 Int, which is the best to choose. If you've been careful with equips and weapons, 40k should be easily attainable by now.

Overall:

Plain Robe (M) - Really, no. 7k can be spent on potions instead.
Doros Robe (M) - Avoid Blue Doros Robes like the plague. You do NOT need +3 Str, EVER. White Doros giving +3 Int is worth splashing out on though.
Doroness Robe (F) - The only decent one is Brown which gives Int +3... 16k is okish and cheaper than the Fairy/Amoria top and skirt. Probably your best bet until 38. Shame about the colour.
Wizard Robe (M) - White/Black is good, but a White Doros Robe has the same + Int and is cheaper.

Gloves:

Lemona - Don't bother unless you get one as a drop.
Morrican - Nella & Kerning City Citizen’s Request [1] (Level 15 Quest) gives a blue one as the final reward for the first part. Upgrade with 2 Amethysts for a Purple Morrican. Amethysts aren't really used for much so the ore is pretty cheap and easy to obtain. Result? A cheap +2 Int glove.
Mesana - Purple Morrican = Black Mesana. Enough said.
Lutia - Purple Morrican = Black Lutia. Again, no real need.

Shoes:

Basic Boots - Stick with beginner shoes.
Nitty - These drop fairly often from Slimes. If you get, equip. Don't buy though.
Jewelry Shoes - Give +1 Int, no matter the colour. Not too shabby. I was gifted a pair of +2 Int Blue Jewelry Shoes by a friend of mine and my Cleric still has them at Lv 36. If you manage to find a pair of those, they'll keep you going until Lv 50.
Windshoes - Really not worth it unless you've not got Jewelry shoes. They do drop, but most people NPC them.
Magicshoes - Come from Toy Soldier's Walnut (Level 25 quest) and from Nella & Kerning City Citizen’s Request [2] (Level 25 quest)... So you get to choose between Blue or White >.< Both have the same Int. At this point I would recommend getting Black Magicshoes if you didn't get +2 Int Jewelry Shoes.
Blue Snowshoes - Just... no. El Nath may be slippy, but don't bother sacrificing Int for shoes that you can't scroll for Int.

Shields:

Stolen Fence: Drop fairly regularly. Don't scroll. Really.
Panlid: If you find one, go nuts. I wouldn't scroll personally, but Lukless can.

Staves:

Wooden Staff - Don't bother. Wooden Wand is cheaper and not that much different.
Sapphire Staff/Emerald Staff - Fairly good MA and can last a while.
Old Wooden Staff - Not worth it if you've got a cheaper Sapphire/Emerald.
Wizard Staff - Again, an Emerald/Sapphire should still be ok, plus a Mithril Wand has better attack.
Circle-Winded Staff - I wouldn't bother. Not much difference between this and a Mithril Wand.
Poison Mushroom - HP +50 = unecessary (not available in eMS)

Wands:

Wooden Wand - First weapon as a mage. Buy.
Hardwood Wand - Don't bother. 3 more Magic attack isn't worth it.
Metal Wand - Unless you get one from a Red Snail, no.
Ice Wand - Nothing justifies this.
Mithril Wand - Last weapon you can buy from Ellinia. Good value when you look at how much a Wizard Wand is.

Earrings:

Amethyst Earrings - Don't bother buying, Red Snails drop these often
Single Earring - Again with the easy drops
Yellow Square - Drop often at Evil Eyes, plus are KPQ reward.
Weighted Earrings - You should get a fair few of these from Wild Boars. Keep a pair for a later quest.
Gold Rings - Drop semi-frequently, plus possible quest rewards.
Leaf Earrings - Made with weighted earrings in a quest. Keep these and scroll with 100% Earring Ints if you're poor. +50 MP is not to be sniffed at!
Lightning Earrings - If you're unlucky you'll get two pairs through quests. Sell.
Emerald Earrings - KPQ reward, kinda worthless.
Star Earrings - KPQ reward, kinda worthless.

Capes:

Old Raggedy Cape - Quest reward, can be well scrolled and sell for a good few million. I personally scrolled mine with MP scrolls. That was before well scrolled capes sold for loads >.< My honest advice? Don't scroll until you've stopped using it and can afford to try to make it godly.

Quests:

While I recommend doing all quests for varying amounts of exp and potions, I'll note the ones that give either valuable or useful rewards.

(In order of level requirement)

Maya And The Weird Medicine (Level 15) - Brown Bamboo Hat (sell to a thief)
Luke The Security Guy (Level 15) - Random Jewel (Diamond/Garnet are needed for other quests)
John's Pink Flower Basket (Level 15) - Screws (you'll need the screws for another quest)
Nella & Kerning City Citizen's Request [1] (Level 15) - Blue Morrican (upgrade with two Amethysts in Ellinia)
DANGER! <1-G. Mushroom> (Level 15) - Not much on it's own, but have this active while you do Winston's Fossil Dig-up for an easy completion and white potions.
Alex The Runaway Kid (Level 20) - Random Lv 30 Earrings (sell to another player)
Winston's Fossil Dig-up (Level 20) - 30k mesos for just killing Axe Stumps and Green Mushies? Yes please!
POLLUTED! <1-Evil Eye> (Level 21-30) - Free Mana Elixirs are nice <3
Mrs. Ming Ming's Second Worry (Level 21) - Ribboned Pig Headband - Lovely for using for a couple of levels, or scrolling later for HP and selling to a priest.
Dr. Betty's Research on Plants (Level 22) - Leaf Earrings... Arguably the best mage earrings until you can afford to scoll something later.
Camilla's Gem (Level 23) - Pig Illustrateds can sell for a nice amount... Usually you get cakes but it's worth a shot. The quest just requires going through a maze.
Arwen And The Glass Shoes (Level 25) - Both rewards are useful. Ice for a later quest, and a Fairy Wing for making an Arc Staff. Don't go out of your way by buying the item to finish it though.
Nella & Kerning City Citizen's Request [2] (Level 25) - Easy to do while you're training and the free Lv 30 shoes are a nice incentive to level.
Toy Soldier's Walnut (Level 25) - See above quest
Mystery of Niora Hospital (Level 25) - Raggedy Cape = win
Read The Newspaper! (Level 25) - Showa quest (not for eMS) which gives a 30% Overall Dex scroll. Useless for a mage, great to sell.
Shumi's Lost Bundle Of Money (Level 30) - If you're good at JQs, then the first time doing this is a nice 100 mana elixirs for nothing. If like me you're awful at them, don't bother.
Mr. Wetbottom's Secret Book (Level 30) - Sauna robe... Always popular and sell well to all -less classes. If you're Lukless yourself, you'll find this quest essential.
POLLUTED! <2-Curse Eye> (Level 30) - Scrolls, elixirs... The only duff items are the Sunrise/Sunset Dews and Reindeer Milk. Plus you might find Blackbull's Deed To The Land which you can either sell or use for Building Blackbull's New House (Level 30, Fame 10).
Jane And The Wild Boar (Level 25) - Random 60% weapon scroll. Win. (hopefully anyway!)
Collecting Huckle's Magic Ingredients (Level 10) - You'll be able to do this quest around 30, despite the Level 10 limit. Orbis scrolls are VERY useful for getting to/from Nath/Aqua Road, or can be sold for quite a bit. You can repeat this once a day, so milk it well!
The View Of The Ocean (Level 30) - Shoe scrolls sell pretty well.
Nemi's Dilemma (Level 28) - Green Jester... You will LOVE this hat for the stats!
The Missing Mechanical Parts (Level 30) - If you have the patience for this JQ, the rewards are worth it. Another Shoe scroll quest.
VIP Ticket to Florina Beach (Level 30) - An easy quest for free travel to and from Florina Beach.
The Lost Guard (Level 30) - Useful while you're training in Eos Tower or doing quests there as it gives Eos Rock scrolls which you will come to love during 3x-5x.
Sakura And The Teddy Bear (Level 30) - Another Showa quest that gives a random 30% scroll as a reward (not for eMS).

I think that covers everything for 1-30, no?

Second Job Advancement

So you've reached 30, got the skills you want maxed... Now what? Go and speak to Grendel again (you know, the white beardy dude in Ellinia who made you a magician) who will ask you to take a letter to the job advancement instructor north of Ellinia. You get taken into a closed map where you have to kill monsters (Curse Eyes and Horned Mushrooms) for 30 Dark Marbles. It's not difficult at all (after all, look at how many people are second job or higher!) so don't feel daunted by it at all. Once you've got your 30 Dark Marbles, talk to the instructor to leave and return to Grendel with the Proof of a Hero which the instructor gave you. He'll then ask what you would like to choose as your second job.

Once you have decided YOU CANNOT CHANGE YOUR MIND, so make sure you know what you want to be before you reach this point. I advise reading guides for specific classes and watching a few videos:

Cleric/Priest/Bishop

Fire/Poison Wizard/Mage/ArchMage

(6:46 onwards)

Ice/Lightning Wizard/Mage/ArchMage

Various Mage Classes

(lulz, I was in this one with SexMuffin mush1z.gif)

I think that's just about covered everything I can think of for beginner mages.

Happy Mapling mush1z.gif
Bellatrixa - 11x Sniper
iHaveBewbs - 2x Rogue
Asphyxiata - 2x Pierat

Ohai~ I quit eMS. Stepped into my Destiny instead ;D Less drama, less judgement, less gulliability.

Beginner Mage Guide How To Be An Awesomesauce I/L Mage
QUOTE(dragonzrkool)
I don't think nature wants me to have my hand :(

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 ČRob

ČRob

• Official Member

08 January 2009 - 03:15 AM

Great guide, Bella. Only things I would suggest;

For LUKless, instead of going for INT equips, if you're not as funded, you could substitute with HP equips(I use HP equips). It's a lot less costly than INT equips, and it allows you to train MG-less for the early levels(saving meso on MP potions). Also you forgot LUKless equips to use till 30, the level 11 shirt+level 0 blue shorts look nice.

The 2nd F/P video doesn't help at all with choosing that as a 2nd job. mush1d.gif (There's gotta be some good F/P motivational videos on YouTube. ><)

You put 'Magic Bolt' instead of 'Energy Bolt' on the skill build. (I think I saw a word misspelled somewhere in there, too. x_o)

EDIT: Found it. ^^
QUOTE(Bellatrixa @ Jan 7 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Luk or Lukless?

Pros

- Higher damage as all AP goes into Int
- One set of equips which last a long time
- Faster training due to more damage
- Can train at higher level enemies faster thanks to hjigher damage

Bolded it. 'hjigher' should be 'higher'. xD

Again, good guide. mush1n.gif

#3 Bellatrixa

Bellatrixa

B> Mistletoe

• Official Member

08 January 2009 - 04:51 AM

You know, I looked around on Youtube and saw naff all for FP 2nd job. I had to hunt to find ANYTHING FP related for eMS. I liked to have a variety of vids from different versions so people can identify with the classes more by seeing familiar names/places/guilds.

Re: HP equips... Not sure how much they are in gMS. In eMS, HP scrolls are pretty pricey now as our Clerics/Priests have been training without MG for ages. I saw a very sexy 150HP Pig Headband for an extortionate sum. Plus, the more rangers we have, the more they're scrolling for HP now. It's cheaper, yeah. But overall I'd say it's more beneficial to scroll the one set of equips than 2 weirdface7ut.gif In first job MGless doesn't really matter (I never used MG in 1st job, only later in 2nd). I mean, what you save on pots you'll be spending on scrolls, but I can see your theory.

Fixed typo and no idea why I said "Magic Bolt" o_o I need more coffee in the mornings ;_;

Lukless equips I'll add in a separate section later. Needs to be some distinction really weirdface7ut.gif Dun want newbie Luk mages thinking they can run around in Ice Jeans and a Yellow Tshirt for the whole game >.<
Bellatrixa - 11x Sniper
iHaveBewbs - 2x Rogue
Asphyxiata - 2x Pierat

Ohai~ I quit eMS. Stepped into my Destiny instead ;D Less drama, less judgement, less gulliability.

QUOTE(dragonzrkool)

#4 Harmonic

Harmonic

:)

• Mapletip Veterans
  • IGN:dennisnoaqui

08 January 2009 - 06:45 PM

Good guide. Quest recommending is new, but I like it. I shall use this in the future. mush1n.gif

yayhancock

#5 ČRob

ČRob

• Official Member

08 January 2009 - 11:31 PM

Found one and, IMO, this video is a lot more inspirational than the 2nd F/P video. :3

I think it's boring though, mainly killing/playing with mist, but it's mainly what F/P's do. :B

#6 ViTaLxxHaVoC

ViTaLxxHaVoC

Snails

• Members
  • IGN:sTaTiCxMaJoR

09 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

Bellatrixa, how hard is cleric to level from 30-70 compared to I/L?? I'm luckless btw.

#7 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • IGN:HolyOracle-Lv 90

09 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

From playing a cleric extensively and an I/L for a few weeks, I'd say clerics are faster, mainly due to the fact that heal 1. is a faster cast 2. can be cast while jumping (hence can hit monsters on a higher platform) and 3. simply, heals, so no need to worry about potting a bunch. Parties always need a healer, so it may also be easier for clerics to get into PQs. However, given new training spots (and spots I probably never knew about) there may be facts to show otherwise.

That being said, clerics are one of the fastest leveling classes, given the AoE nature of heal, so the same may be considered of thunderbolt.

Posted Image

#8 Bellatrixa

Bellatrixa

B> Mistletoe

• Official Member

09 January 2009 - 07:11 PM

It's hard for me to judge really, as Bella was my first mage and Hollis was my second after much more experience of the game and of mages/clerics. I'd personally say that Clerics have more training spots, but it's not really a solo class during 3rd job. It also depends on how you play. Obviously if you're a 10 hour a day grinder, you'll level faster than someone who only plays for a couple of hours a week. Equips matter (Hollis has MUCH better equips thanks to being funded) as does how well you can train (knowing how a map spawns, what skill to use where, what you should be killing etc).

For a first timer, I'd say that the two classes would seem about equal levelling speed. If you've any experience, you'll probably find that Cleric is faster. There's so many variables that it's hard to say, in all honesty.
Bellatrixa - 11x Sniper
iHaveBewbs - 2x Rogue
Asphyxiata - 2x Pierat

QUOTE(dragonzrkool)

#9 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • IGN:HolyOracle-Lv 90

09 January 2009 - 07:34 PM

Haha, "it's not really a solo class during the 3rd job" is an big understatement; I found that I couldn't train at all without a DK =P. Simply the fact that you train two to three times faster in a party is demotivating enough to not want to train solo. So that may also be a factor in choosing classes. I/L can find a party easily enough because freezing means parties won't take damage, making training cheaper and easier, and priests can easily find parties for obvious reasons. So if I/L can solo with relative ease, they are indeed more versatile in that manner.

Posted Image

#10 sasto

sasto

Snails

• Members
  • IGN:not

09 January 2009 - 07:38 PM

yO, I WANT TO KNOW THAT WHEN I DOWNLOAD MAPLESTORY, I EXTRACT IT AND WHEN I CLICK TO PLAY IT, IT DOESN'T WORK. IT SAYS GAMEGAURD153 ERROR OR SOMETHING ANYWAYS, WHEN I FIX THAT IT STILL DOESN'T WORK; I THINK I'M MISSING SOME FILES LIKE THE ONES THAT YOU NEED TO PLAY, CAN SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLZ!!!!!!!

AND CAN YOU POST FAST

#11 Bellatrixa

Bellatrixa

B> Mistletoe

• Official Member

11 January 2009 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE(Blade Oracle @ Jan 10 2009, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha, "it's not really a solo class during the 3rd job" is an big understatement; I found that I couldn't train at all without a DK =P. Simply the fact that you train two to three times faster in a party is demotivating enough to not want to train solo. So that may also be a factor in choosing classes. I/L can find a party easily enough because freezing means parties won't take damage, making training cheaper and easier, and priests can easily find parties for obvious reasons. So if I/L can solo with relative ease, they are indeed more versatile in that manner.

Well, I know a great deal of priests in eMS who would solo MDTs etc with HP gear (as it's relatively cheap) due to lack of DKs. The problem I see with eMS at the moment is that people will stay in Singapore until 8x, then complain they have nowhere to train, even though they're mercilessly KSing each other at MP3/GS5. This is true of both Priests and DKs. If they were able to pull themselves together and realise that partying at Ludi is a better option for them, there'd be much less QQing. However as I said, I/Ls can easily solo DTs from 75 onwards (or with a priest for lulz) as well as attacking at WS, whereas a Priest would be HSing (trust me, using SR on Wolf Spiders isn't exactly a good idea). I've found that I was able to level Bella most of her levels solo and with relative ease (although eMS was lacking a LOT of areas back then) and even now, I can still solo Wolf Spiders and Bains should the fancy take me. Certain large maps are best split in a party (like Vikings) due to the mere size of the map and time it takes to move around. Soloing Gigs for example would be a huge waste of time. One thing I used to like doing on Odin with my I/L there was partying at Squids with a FP. They mysted, I spammed Ice Strike all over the map. Also, FPs can myst at Sharks. Not really sure if people party there much, but I know from an I/L perspective, Cold Sharks don't exactly die easily while the others do mush1k.gif

So yes, choosing your class really depends on your playing style and how easy you find it to get a party. If you're going to solo mostly, I'd say go with I/L unless you want to scroll some HP gear and take on Ludi Dungeon during 3rd job.

As for late 2nd job... EVERY class gets hell here. 65-75 is commonly known as the hell levels as you've got all the decent 2nd job skills and you're waiting for 3rd job to be more useful. Low level Ice Strike is good on some mobs that you trained on with Thunderbolt, although the range is still low compared to max. From a Cleric POV, you've still got Singapore/Hoodoos to spam heal at, although the exp might be beginning to wind down a bit.

In 2nd job, I'd say that Clerics are wanted more for PQ (Heal, Bless... yeah, you get the point), although I/Ls are good mobbers when it comes to LPQ. Again, depends how good you are at PQ and if it's already overflooded with Clerics already mush1o.gif
Bellatrixa - 11x Sniper
iHaveBewbs - 2x Rogue
Asphyxiata - 2x Pierat

QUOTE(dragonzrkool)

#12 Maplekidd

Maplekidd

The survivor

• Official Member
  • IGN:Quit. Sorry =(

23 January 2009 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE(Bellatrixa @ Jan 8 2009, 04:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mrs. Ming Ming's Second Worry (Level 21) - Ribboned Pig Headband - Lovely for using for a couple of levels, or scrolling later for HP and selling to a priest.

Yeah but you might as well HPQ with guild members and get a Rice Cake Hat, Level 15+, gives 22 Weapon Defense and 50 HP.
Posted Image
My art thread My Deviantart My Steam
Currently playing : Dungeons and dragons online - Maplestory - Modern warfare 2 - Halo 3 ODST

#13 Bellatrixa

Bellatrixa

B> Mistletoe

• Official Member

23 January 2009 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE(Maplekidd @ Jan 23 2009, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah but you might as well HPQ with guild members and get a Rice Cake Hat, Level 15+, gives 22 Weapon Defense and 50 HP.

22 Wep Def is nothing, you still get the same amount of HP. Yes, it's an alternative, but it's the same kettle of fish. Plus, the part of the guide you're quoting from is regarding quests that give good rewards, not PQs mush1o.gif
Bellatrixa - 11x Sniper
iHaveBewbs - 2x Rogue
Asphyxiata - 2x Pierat

QUOTE(dragonzrkool)

#14 Maplekidd

Maplekidd

The survivor

• Official Member
  • IGN:Quit. Sorry =(

23 January 2009 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(Bellatrixa @ Jan 23 2009, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Maplekidd @ Jan 23 2009, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

22 Wep Def is nothing, you still get the same amount of HP. Yes, it's an alternative, but it's the same kettle of fish. Plus, the part of the guide you're quoting from is regarding quests that give good rewards, not PQs mush1o.gif

It's the "Lovely for using for a couple of levels" part I meant.
Posted Image
My art thread My Deviantart My Steam
Currently playing : Dungeons and dragons online - Maplestory - Modern warfare 2 - Halo 3 ODST

#15 Bellatrixa

Bellatrixa

B> Mistletoe

• Official Member

24 January 2009 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE(Maplekidd @ Jan 23 2009, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's the "Lovely for using for a couple of levels" part I meant.

And as I pointed out, and will so once again, you're taking it out of context. The quest list is for those that you get pop up in your quest menu, not the PQs in the game. I don't add PQs to my quest lists as they don't appear there, therefore do not have a name and will not appear there.

Bellatrixa - 11x Sniper
iHaveBewbs - 2x Rogue
Asphyxiata - 2x Pierat

QUOTE(dragonzrkool)

#16 MelonPops

MelonPops

What the flegnog?

• Official Member
  • IGN:ItsCnnAgain

24 January 2009 - 08:33 AM

Love the videos bit. The F/P at gobies was very interesting.

Although, I can't get past two seconds on ANY of the videos. To view them, I have to go on YouTube itself and view them. @[email protected]

Windia
ItsCnnAgain 160
CptnGreaves 94

#17 Godforsaken

Godforsaken

Really, really, really high.

• Respected Member
  • IGN:Quit.

24 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

A beauty of a guide, wish I had it when I was making my mages.

LIKE A BOSS.