29 replies to this topic

#1 bluefireinside

bluefireinside

Ribbon Pig

• MapleTip Contributor
  • 38 posts
  • IGN:Terkla

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

**I made this because I had a lot of questions/concerns about getting my zhelm and had to work with bits and pieces of information from various sites and threads, or just find out on my own. I think this guide will clear up some common questions/issues that are not typically addressed. This is not intended to be a comprehensive guide to the quests (those are pretty easy to find), but an overview of how to acquire a Zakum Helm.**

The Helm Itself

Required Level: 50
Slots for Scrolls: 10
Base Stats (avg):
+15 str/dex/luk/int
+20 acc
+20 avd
150 wdef
150 mdef
One of a Kind Item--Cannot be dropped or traded.
You can sell it to an NPC for 500,000.
I don't know if you can own more than one.

How do I get it?

There are two ways, buying it and earning it.
-Earning it = killing Zakum and picking up the drop.
-Buying it = paying someone else to kill Zakum and picking up the drop.

Getting ready:

In order to approach Zakum, you must complete some quests first. Talk to your 3rd job instructor in El Nath to get started. Then go as deep into the Dead Mine as possible and talk to the NPC. He'll give you your quests. Remember, you can find much more detailed guides elsewhere—I'm giving you the abridged version here.

Keys and Scrolls Quest
-You need to be in a party for this quest, but you can do it by yourself if you want. For Zakum, you only need to collect all the keys. If you choose to collect all the scrolls as well, you will get return scrolls to the Dead Mine and more experience.

Horrible Jump Quest
-For people who can do jump quests, it's probably not that bad. I'm absolutely awful at them, and kept falling right at the last jump. Lower levels need to bring lots of potions and antidotes.

Fetch Quest
-Collect 30 gold zombie teeth. Or buy them at FM, but keep in mind that they will be expensive.

Now the NPC will give you the Eye of Fire (5 of them actually). I think repeating the quests will get you 5 more (at a time), but if you use yours up then buy more in FM you can still use them to get to Zakum (ie once you complete these quests, you don't HAVE to do them again to fight Zakum).

If you're in a high-level guild or best friends with FangBlade, you're all set. Go in with your party(ies) and earn your zhelm, Champ.

For the rest of us, it is now time to find a guild that does zruns.

Check around for a list of guilds on your server. Sleepywood is the best place to look IMO, but I'm sure there are plenty of other places. Ideally, the list will tell you whom to contact and what day/time that guild does their runs.

Different guilds charge different amounts of mesos, and offer different services. Here are some common ones:

-One try: Here, you pay a relatively small amount to accompany the guild. If Zakum doesn't drop the helm, or he doesn't drop enough, tough cookies.
-Two tries: Same as above, but if you didn't get one, you get one more chance.
-VIP: You go on as many tries as it takes. It costs more, but you are guaranteed a helmet.
-HP equips: To even be in the same room as Zakum, you need a certain amount of HP. If you're a little under, some guilds will loan you equips that boost your HP past that minimum.
-Resurrection: If you die at Zakum, a Bishop will resurrect you.
-Goodies: You can sometimes pay for Zakum drops, either in bundles (pay this much and loot this many) or by specific item (skill/mastery books, and the like). Keep in mind he might not drop what you're looking for, and guilds typically give preference to their own members when it comes to skill/mastery books.

Some guilds include HP equips and/or resurrections with the VIP package (and sometimes will loan the equips for free).

Now there is another option available, but I cannot advise it. You can also pay someone from the guild doing the zrun to do your Zakum quests and/or the Zakum run for you. That is, they will log onto your account and take your character through whatever needs to be done.

Tips When Buying:

-If you choose to have someone log into your account, please research very carefully to find not only a credible guild, but a trustworthy person from within that guild. Remember that they have access to all characters/items in all worlds. You could get robbed or banned and it is against ToS. Change your PIN and password once you're done.

-There are usually a limited number of people in the guild responsible for taking money. Pay them and only them.

-Make sure you know the terms of the deal. Some guilds will reimburse you for potions if you end up dead or without a helm. Others will not. Some will throw in one resurrection for free, but expect to be paid if you need it again. If there are multiple buyers, figure out where you are in line. Work all of this out in advance.

-When Zakum falls, sit still. Someone in the guild will tell you when and what you can loot. You should probably already have your pet taken off, but if not, at least be sure the item pouch is off.

-If you get the urge to loot out of order or try to loot more than you paid for, just remember that you are in the middle of a group of high-level players with many high-level friends who are all eager to spend lots of time making sure you regret it. Do not loot out of order. Do not loot out of order. Do not loot out of order.

Prices:

Prices will vary from world to world and from guild to guild, but these are some examples of what I've seen recently (in Broa).
-1 try...25m
-2 tries...35m
-VIP...50m+
-Resurrection...5m/ea
-Quests...5m/ea

Finally, I'd just like to vouch for/recommend the guild RedFalchion, (contact Celsious, Broa), which is how I got my zhelm. I thought Celsious was courteous and professional, and everything worked out great.

That's all...please let me know if I need to correct/update/edit anything. Good luck getting your Zakum Helm, and be careful with those dark scrolls..!

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Eric7

Eric7

Nependeath

• Official Member
  • 432 posts
  • IGN:0o0ERIC0O0

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

eheheh its just a game you know...if you get a kill and loot what ever you want theres only so much they can do to you...but I know what your saying.
www.z7xproductions.webs.com This is my web site

#3 CaptObvious

CaptObvious

XROS

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3893 posts
  • IGN:EXTREEEEMMEE

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE(Eric7 @ Jan 2 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
eheheh its just a game you know...if you get a kill and loot what ever you want theres only so much they can do to you...but I know what your saying.

They can get you banned.

#4 Bodom

Bodom

Hero.

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2565 posts
  • IGN:Strombidae

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:22 PM

Just saying, you CAN sell a Zakum Helmet to an NPC. I believe the NPC price is something weird like 150K / 300K.

And if you do loot out of turn, you will never be able to play Maple properly in your life again unless you want to start a new character.
Strombidae - 123 Windia Hero. 2-monster hitting Brandish is so hot.
SeasonabIe - 49 Windia Cleric. Unmotivated to level.

??????? - Night Walker in progress.

#5 Matthias Hinkell

Matthias Hinkell

A Depressed Villian ._.

• MD Members
  • 5072 posts
  • IGN:GeneYuss

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

Nice guide. I think I'll contact the person listed in your post when I'm ready to buy ^^.

Characters I still play
WINDIA
GeneYuss - level 124 DK | MattHinkell - level 108 ranger | DoogaI - level 100 hermit | Meteor88 - level 99 sniper HPEcheIon - level 63 HP spearman
SCANIA
iWilfre - level 70 spearman

#6 ¬Rob

¬Rob

• Official Member
  • 1003 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

Actually, the ZHelm's 500k to NPC's, Hunter. mush1k.gif

I forgot to talk to the 3rd job guy on my brawler, LOL. Thanks for reminding me. :]

#7 FireBoar

FireBoar

Penguin Master

• Pink
  • 2164 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:02 AM

I'm all set for my zak helm, its just the jump quest that stands in my way... mush1d.gif

#8 Hiyochan

Hiyochan

Windia's Ditziest BowGirl :)

• Official Member
  • 957 posts
  • IGN:Hiyochan

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:13 AM

Great guide; I was planning to make a "How to Survive Zakum" guide soon; may I link you when I do? mush1n.gif

The prices tend to vary a lot from server to server... when I was in Scania, and now in Windia, I never saw "Resurrection" fees, or fees for trying to get your helmet again...

From my experience as part of a Zakum group, we want the buyers to get helmed as much as the buyer themselves. If a buyer isn't helmed, the payment for that helm isn't distributed to the attackers, in case the buyer requests a refund. As a result, we'll sometimes hold extra runs the next day just to get buyers their helms, and re-reimburse them for the potion usage. In Scania/Windia, having a Zakum runner on your account is free, and generally much preferred. A disconnection/multiple deaths of a buyer means that they will have to run again, reducing pay for the entire group since a new buyer could have been running in their place.

One time, we had a buyer die three (!) times in one night, and still not get his helm. If we had a runner on his account, he would have had gotten his helm on the first run, and another buyer (35mil added to the total pay) could have gotten helmed on the second run.
Windia:
Hiyochan - lvl 128 Bowmaster <120 01/23/09>
LaLaaLove - lvl 5x xBowGirl
SmoochuLa - Lvl 5x Cleric
MemorianM00 - HB/Zakum mule in-training
Scania:
Babbeeestarz - lvl 9x Priest

#9 mizzblue

mizzblue

Fat Virgin Bastard

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 4571 posts
  • IGN:mizzblue

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:09 PM

Most people dont do 1-try and 2-tries anymore. Its eiter REG or VIP.
REG means you get your helmet, but you might have to stand in line for some time.
VIP is basically buying yourself a spot before everyone else.

Then there's Couples REG/VIP, meaning you and a friend can go get your zakhelmets together(or for you to reloot if you get a bad one on the first try), usually these are a bit cheaper than if you bought two separate helms.

2zfsrwp.jpg
Broa
mizzblue 82 Hermit | BishCookie 55 Beginner

Windia
Teasuh 60 Brawler

Loopedd.jpg
"If you cant defend a statement, why bother making one."

#10 MoogleBunny

MoogleBunny

Busy.

• MapleTip Contributor
  • 424 posts
  • Location:In the middle of nowhere. It's barren and snowy/rainy here!
  • IGN:AoHaruIro

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

The TrustForFun *JustForFun and Trust* alliance is not too bad of a guild/alliance to get a zhelm on Broa. I got mine through them, they are professional as well. They have a pretty consistent schedule too. They give you all the instructions that you need to survive and give the HP equips for borrowing if you do need them.

Their VIP is 40m, and they actually do give you some Zakum 4th job skillbook drops if they fall to the preferred buyers if none of them need it. In my party, we had a priest and they gave her that Bishop arrow skill (can't remember the name right now) that dropped from Zakum.

The Jump quest isn't too bad, you probably just gotta know when to take a break though. What helped for me was figuring out the whole pattern, then taking a short break when I was close to the end after about 20 tries and falls. It can be the gold tooth hunting that is the most boring though. Cause the spawn for the minor zombies isn't quite as good as coolies (and flyeyes are annoying as all heck).
If you see anyone with the username Mooglebunny on any site other than: Youtube, MapleTip, Roliana, AKFG Fan Forums, dslreports, livejournal, Final Gear, or Menewsha, then it's not me! It's an impostor! D:
Bye people. You don't like me. I've always known that. =]

#11 Kerist

Kerist

Iron Hog

• MD Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:03 PM

Nice guide, I like the emphasis on not looting out of order.

And yeah, I don't think anyone really does one try only anymore, which is surprising, given the deflation of the price of a helm, and the average pay per runner, and the number of apples. How do they stay afloat? I think there is some sacrifice nowadays.

Last night, I had my first experience breaking a ToS rule of no account sharing, I played an ex guildee's account from LONG ago because she wanted to buy from a run that I went on, and then discovered that her Internet wouldn't allow her to stay connected for the full duration.

Then this guy either in her guild or alliance chats me and asks me for advice on getting a helm when he's ready, and I get to the topic of not looting out of turn but add that if he doesn't care what people think or do to him, then he can do what he wants. And he agrees and says all that he'll get is a defame. So I tell him "Then don't come on my run." and exit chat and blacklist him. xD

One thing I don't think your guide mentions is when to pot, and how many pots to bring. Zakum doesn't have any safe spots like Horntail, and some groups kill faster than others so, I'd say 700 cheeses is safe for HP people, and I have no idea what kind of pots Mage people should bring.

Even if you have HB and Heal, your heal can get stunned and after a 1/1 you need to use a pot that restores you to over at least 2.75k-ish of attack I believe, hugging the wall of course.

And back on the rules of etiquette, I really have a pet peeve about people who lack looting etiquette or respect at a run. I never bought a helm, and I got to 4th job, and 7 levels past it to try to be of more use on a run(Max Divine Charge for the elementally neutral Bodies) before I ever went on a run, let alone got a chance to loot a helm. And I will never forget the opportunity, people who loot out of order or otherwise disrespect a run, they ruin that sanctity and accomplishment that I felt about going to kill Zakum.

#12 Hiyochan

Hiyochan

• Official Member
  • 957 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:59 PM

I think that there is somewhat of a sacrifice involved in organizing a run. The run I'm a part of has switched organizers multiple times because they've gotten fed up with dealing with buyers, runners, etc. It's a lot of stress, and I admire anyone who can put together a successful run. There are buyers to pay, apples to buy, plus the cost of 2x drop.

The number of pots really depends on the runners and how confident you are in yourself and the priest. I used to use ~300 pots per run on a buyer (25minute runs), but that's drastically gone down since I've learned to watch for 1/1's and attacks more closely. Non-mages should use Cheeses, as Zakum can do up to 3k. Mages will need the same number of potions as non-mages, but they should stock up on 75% potions, and should watch BOTH HP and MP during the fight. While the HP will mostly be taken care of by a healer, it's essential to heal both after a 1/1 or major attack. Lesser potions should NOT be substituted.

Edited by Hiyochan, 02 February 2009 - 12:01 AM.

Windia:
Scania:

#13 IndoX

IndoX

Rainbows ~!

• Respected Member
  • 2516 posts
  • IGN:-

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:44 PM

Looting a zhelm out of turn doesn't get you banned. However, it does ensure that you'll never see the light of regular training, another zakum, or a horntail as long as you play that character.

Interested in my MS character (even though I don't play)? lndoJabijinX

#14 Hentai

Hentai

Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3676 posts
  • IGN:Hentai

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:37 PM

What if you do a name change?

Hentai loves you. Yes, you.

#15 Eric7

Eric7

Nependeath

• Official Member
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

Yah I still cling to my idea. No mater mate rhow mad a guild gets they will enventuly move on. no bodys that stuborn even ms people I belive. But....I never be able to aford a zrun any way so Doesnt really mater what I think about looting.

Edited by Eric7, 02 February 2009 - 05:48 PM.

#16 CaptObvious

CaptObvious

XROS

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3893 posts
  • IGN:EXTREEEEMMEE

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE(Eric7 @ Feb 2 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yah I still cling to my idea. No mater mate rhow mad a guild gets they will enventuly move on. no bodys that stuborn even ms people I belive. But....I never be able to aford a zrun any way so Doesnt really mater what I think about looting.

You ignored my response to your first post, didn't you?
*Points at it

#17 Bushado

Bushado

Stirge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • IGN:Bushiclo/GwelfWalker/Bushuno

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(Phenomenal @ Feb 2 2009, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Eric7 @ Feb 2 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You ignored my response to your first post, didn't you?
*Points at it

Relax relax Jonathan. If he/she gets banned, it's not your fault, so don't stress.

Edited by Bushado, 02 February 2009 - 06:29 PM.

#18 Hiyochan

Hiyochan

• Official Member
  • 957 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:52 PM

Whether or not you get KSed isn't the issue, it's the level of disrespect that really bothers people. It takes alot of time and energy to organize a run. There are 6+ strong, RELIABLE runners to recruit and pay, a timeslot to obtain and SECURE, apples to buy and buyers to handle.

It isn't easy, and purposely looting out of turn just shows complete disregard for the efforts of the runners and organizers.
Windia:
Scania:

#19 IndoX

IndoX

Rainbows ~!

• Respected Member
  • 2516 posts
  • IGN:-

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE(Hiyochan @ Feb 2 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whether or not you get KSed isn't the issue, it's the level of disrespect that really bothers people. It takes alot of time and energy to organize a run. There are 6+ strong, RELIABLE runners to recruit and pay, a timeslot to obtain and SECURE, apples to buy and buyers to handle.

It isn't easy, and purposely looting out of turn just shows complete disregard for the efforts of the runners and organizers.

So true. I don't see the point of wasting so many mesos on getting a Z-Helm if you're going to loot out of turn. Odds are if you are willing to pay that much for a z-helm, you're pretty serious about MS and most likely your goal is to get to a high level.

Well, it's 95% true that even though higher leveled guilds may or may not get along, you can rest assure that you'll never see the like of Zakum, Pap, or Horntail ever again if you do so. It may not seem like a big deal now, but when your character is over level 100, and you have nothing else to do but grind, bossing is pretty fun. Your only chance will be to party with hackers if you ever want to boss — and let's face it, no one wants that.

Although it's so petty, if you do loot out of turn you probably won't enjoy being a higher leveled character with a horrible reputation — it gets you no where. And you'd be surprised at how many people won't party you, or grind with you just because you looted an item.

Also, that's a good idea. What if you get a name change, and switch servers? Maybe even get all new NX. That's possibly the only way. But still, most servers keep track of legit Z-Helms, and if you're not on that list, you're screwed either way.

But what do I know? I don't play anymore. Maybe things have changed. Lol.

Interested in my MS character (even though I don't play)? lndoJabijinX

#20 Eric7

Eric7

Nependeath

• Official Member
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

I wasnt like serios or anything..It just happned to be something I thought you know. I just imanged whaat it be like to see a big ole pile of cool stuff and go pick it all up. GAWD cant I think of that :). Anyways as I said before I cant aford to do a zrun anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users