Photo

How would I help prevent a forum from "dying"?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 dragonzrkool

dragonzrkool

Evan Tard

• Official Member
  • 571 posts
  • IGN:Dragonzrkool

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:46 PM

Ok, well my question is... what are your ideas of how to prevent a forum from dying.

Basically... I need ideas on how to get awesome and ACTIVE members....

This forum (Name will not be mentioned due to advertisement rules) I'm a Global Moderator on... which is basically 1 step down from admin. There are 3 admins, 3 global mods, and a couple of inactive mods.

A total of 187 members... BUT... only 30 of them are actually active... and a ton of them are banned alternate accounts of the nasty members you get on all forums.

We're currently electing some more mods... as we need the help.

We don't have an extremely strict rule about off-topicness... as we're basically only ages 10-15.

Someone offered to "merge" forums as his is dying as well but I'm not all to thrilled about it. Unfourtanetly I'm not an admin so I don't have too much of a say in it... but I can affect it as much as I possibly can.

The person wants the name to be changed, as it is 2 forums becoming 1. He also demands administrator rights (And if he's the lead of one forum... technically he can be entitled to it) and the guy is overly strict...

Basically in a long way of saying it. Our forum is "Dying" (As most free-host forums do...) and this guy is trying to offer something to prevent it. However I'm not up to the idea at all.. and have extreme doubts about it.

Do any of you intelligent people of MT have a good clean way of getting awesome and active members, while not giving the forum a bad name. And for desperate measures... a nastier way with a possible bad label...

":|"

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Randallrocks

Randallrocks

Bain

• Respected Member
  • 1767 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

Is it just a "general" forum? If so, I would recommend shutting it down, as forums without much of a point aren't very popular. Also, try making a software, and make the forum the main place to discuss it.

#3 dragonzrkool

dragonzrkool

Evan Tard

• Official Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:58 AM

Well we use a certain program called "Game Maker" so I guess we would be a forum that deals with game development in this program... but we are a little bit more general.

And the software idea we've had... and were thinking of making a really good game and making it so you need to register on the forum to unlock extra access.

We mainly deal with computers and game development on the computer... although it is very basic.. (Considering our ages don't go over 15...)

#4 Bodom

Bodom

Hero.

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2565 posts
  • IGN:Strombidae

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:00 PM

Advertising where allowed is always nice and helpful if people find it interesting.

For example: Music forum! All you music lovers, come join! [in a link under titles] would draw music lovers to your music forum, etc etc.
Strombidae - 123 Windia Hero. 2-monster hitting Brandish is so hot.
SeasonabIe - 49 Windia Cleric. Unmotivated to level.

??????? - Night Walker in progress.

#5 dragonzrkool

dragonzrkool

Evan Tard

• Official Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:44 PM

The problem would be finding somewhere that wouldn't mind it lol. Places that wouldn't are so low on members it is completely useless, and places that are loaded with those who might join are against it.

In a jam here... mush1k.gif

But advertising has been one of our main sources. mush1k.gif

#6 Winged

Winged

These are EXTRA-ordinary times...

• Official Member
  • 455 posts
  • IGN:-

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

What is the general age range in the active members?

#7 Shadow-

Shadow-

Twilight?

• MD Members
  • 871 posts
  • IGN:Xcreamer

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE(dragonzrkool @ Dec 2 2008, 12:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We don't have an extremely strict rule about off-topicness... as we're basically only ages 10-15.

QUOTE(Winged @ Dec 2 2008, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is the general age range in the active members?

There's your answer.

set free.

#8 dragonzrkool

dragonzrkool

Evan Tard

• Official Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:36 AM

Well you sure got to it before me...

#9 Taglar

Taglar

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • IGN:CapnTaglar

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:38 AM

I have experience in working with forums and whatnot...been a moderator/administrator of a few in my time. I find that forums that have a specific purpose or fanbase last longer. If it's one of the ONLY places to go for that topic, it survives. But if there are tons of other forums out there about the same thing...it's harder to survive.

Advertising is key. Although, advertising on other forums doesn't amount to much...as most folks already have a "key forum" that they use because most forums are "all inclusive" (i.e. this one has a lounge and general areas that aren't related to MS so that folks stay here to chat about daily lives instead of going to another forum). You can try advertising on places like Myspace, Facebook (where you can create fan groups and pages).

You're always going to have more registered users than active users, as many folks just register to see a certain area and then leave.

Having prizes, contests, and such help boost membership...but they can be costly. You could always have contests for bragging rights (custom titles, signatures, etc).

Basically, in the long run the best bet is to stick with it. If you can at least make the 30 or so members who are active happy, then when more join they will see how nicely the members are treated and they might stay and become active. But if there's lots of "n00b bashing", it really turns off new members.

#10 dragonzrkool

dragonzrkool

Evan Tard

• Official Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(Taglar @ Dec 4 2008, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have experience in working with forums and whatnot...been a moderator/administrator of a few in my time. I find that forums that have a specific purpose or fanbase last longer. If it's one of the ONLY places to go for that topic, it survives. But if there are tons of other forums out there about the same thing...it's harder to survive.

Advertising is key. Although, advertising on other forums doesn't amount to much...as most folks already have a "key forum" that they use because most forums are "all inclusive" (i.e. this one has a lounge and general areas that aren't related to MS so that folks stay here to chat about daily lives instead of going to another forum). You can try advertising on places like Myspace, Facebook (where you can create fan groups and pages).

You're always going to have more registered users than active users, as many folks just register to see a certain area and then leave.

Having prizes, contests, and such help boost membership...but they can be costly. You could always have contests for bragging rights (custom titles, signatures, etc).

Basically, in the long run the best bet is to stick with it. If you can at least make the 30 or so members who are active happy, then when more join they will see how nicely the members are treated and they might stay and become active. But if there's lots of "n00b bashing", it really turns off new members.

Your post will help the most, thanks.

As stated we're a game making community but however there is a much larger deal of that type of forum.

We have general chat and goof-off sections of course due to our lower ages.

Thankfully as a community that deals with games, we have a few that can sprite and edit pictures really well (I myself can edit decent). This may help with the bragging rights, like maybe virtual medals you can display for winning. We have a section made for competition winners as well. (Like game making competitions)

As with all forums we've had our share of noobs, but all of them are under control right now.

With the merge deal we were offered, we seem to have settled on something that allows us to run separate forums but still have the link in between us.

We've tried a few fan groups as well. As for our forum host we've been successful enough for a running year that they're allowing us to create a webspace you'd normally pay to own for free, so we're taking advantage of that.

The bragging rights may help us a lot however. (With member drive competitions and what not)

Edited by dragonzrkool, 04 December 2008 - 11:50 AM.

#11 Chemi

Chemi

Dark Stone Gollem

• Official Member
  • 675 posts
  • IGN:chemioo

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

Do you have a post count easily visible on each person's post like we do here on MT? There've been arguments about posting just to add to your count, as more posts give you more privileges and cool stars and stuff under your name. I know I always smile whenever I get another hundred posts or so, just to see that I've been contributing a lot. Post count's a big deal and lots of people overlook it.

We do things we probably shouldn't, things we may regret later, if not already.
But that's life, a buttload of regrettable events with a bit of awesome thrown in.

#12 dragonzrkool

dragonzrkool

Evan Tard

• Official Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

It's right up under your name, and yes people love to post to up their ranking.

As far as top poster it'd be me with over 6100 posts.

Next top poster is the site founder with about 3200 something or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users