Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3677 posts
  • IGN:Hentai

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:12 PM

How to Sling Guns
Gunslinger Guide by Hentai

Introduction to Gunslingers
With a new class comes new experiences. I have personally chosen the Gunslinger branch because I'm not that call fond of melee characters and that I like their variety of skills. The path is no less than grueling. However, 3rd job has major payoff; at least, I believe.

Pros for a slinger:
+ Fastest class in the game
+ Ranged
+ Variety of skills come with variety of ways to train
+ Jump shooting (like an assassin)
+ Cheap MP cost for most skills
+ Balanced skill set
+ Low maximum level for skills (meaning your skills get strong fast)
+ Bullets are now cheap compared to stars

Cons for a slinger:
- Awful damage (due to lack of critical)
- Bullets are expensive (for now)
- Drains ammo very fast
- Pistol whipping

Stat Build
Always always always, strength equal to level, rest of the points on dex. I cannot stress enough that it will be fairly difficult to be strength-less or low-strength. All equipment for a pirate requires strength which includes armor. This is because the different branches of a pirate require different stats. This is to balance both branches out.

Skills

Double Shot - Rating 5/5
+ Very high speed
+ Low MP cost
- Bad damage
Unarguably the most necessary skill for a gunslinger. You need this maxed to get Burst Fire at level 70 anyways. One thing about this skill is that is has ridiculous natural speed being about 1.3x faster than an Lucky Seven, 1.5x faster than a Hunter's Double Shot, and 2.0x faster than a Crossbowman's Double Shot. These numbers are only an estimate, regardless, this is a fast fast skill. Not to mention its cheap coming about 8 MP a pop.

Gun Mastery - Rating 5/5
+ Balances damage
+ More ammo
Gunslinger's have bad damage to begin with, as might as well balance it out. This will allow slingers to pull off more controlled damage but that's not all, more ammo. You need to have as much ammo as you can since you're Double Shot is so fast that you can plow right through your bullets in forty five minutes.

Invisible Shot - Rating 5/5
+ Good damage
+ Ridiculous range
+ Mob hit
Now we get to the meat of the skills. Invisible Shot is by far the most useful physical mobbed ranged attack though only hitting three enemies. This skill will hit basically anything right above or right below you with an astounding 170% damage. I highly recommend this skill for those who love to mob right over the enemy. The image below defines the range of the skill in red.

As you can see, the downward range is simply amazing. You can shoot enemies right below you, though it targets enemies farther than you, hence the teddy right below me.

Grenade - Rating 1/5
+ Good range
+ Can arc right below you
+ Six mob hit
- Very bad damage
- Mastery doesn't apply
- Delay
Unarguably a useless skill to most. At most, this is to simply lure an enemy. The only thing I enjoy about this skill is that you can arc it from a platform to a horde of monsters right below you. This skill is only flash, that's it.

Gun Booster - Rating 6/5
+ Speeds up your already fast double shot
Yes, a six out of five. You're already fast as it is, ready to get faster? This skill can make you shoot at a speed comparable to Hurricane if you hold down the button. You also need this skill for your other non-double shot skills to speed them up. But this skill is necessary beyond comprehension.

Blank Shot - Rating 3-5/5
+ High to absolute stun rate
+ Very long stun rate
+ Unbreakable stun (if hit with a bullet)
+ No minimum range
+ Mob hit
+ No ammo used
- Very bad damage
- Mastery doesn't apply
A skill I hold near and dear to my heart. Many argue when you need this skill or not; it all depends on your preference. Anyways, this skill starts out mediocre but I fell in love with it. At 100% stun on three mobs maxed, this skill reminded me of Blizzard on my Sniper. Not to mention the stun is uncanceled if hit with another bullet based attack. It will break on a failed Blank Shot or pistol whip or if anyone else hits it.

Wings - Rating 2-3/5
+ Near flying capabilities
+ Useful in CPQ
+ Shoot while gliding
+ Able to be faster than a tamed hog if combined with recoil. A suitable macro would be Wings > Recoil > Wings.
- Near useless after CPQ
A very amusing skill to say the least. It allows you to glide slowly towards or away enemies as you blast them away. I'd say max this skill if you intend to CPQ a lot. It can easily knock out the protectors in Rooms 1/2 and 3/4. You can also blast monsters while taking less damage.

Recoil Shot - Rating 3-4/5
+ Very high damage
+ No minimum range
+ Very good spacing
- Bad bad delay
The very word to describe this skill is "meh." Its not all that useful but not that useless. It's very good for spacing allow you to take good distance from a monster. But you can't spam this attack like Flash Jump. This is the only skill that can cancel Wings.

Ammunition
Bullets have less natural attack than stars do, however, they make up for it for the size of the clip. To prevent imbalance, each bullet set has a level limit which an be a good or a bad thing if you look at it. To quote Miyakazumi, here are the locations of each bullet.

QUOTE(Miyakazumi)
Level 10 bullet (10 attack, 800 clip)
Bubblings, Orange Mushroom, Horny Mushroom, Wooden Mask, Bellamoa, Earmuff Frilled, Mano
Level 30 bullet (12 attack, 1200 clip)
Wild Boar, Scorpion, Pink Teddies, Curse Eye, Scuba Pepe, Toy Horse-Level 30 bullet
Level 50 bullet (14 attack, 1600 clip)
Red Flower Snake, Ginseng, Wraith, Hoodoo/Voodoo, Luster Pixie, Lioner, Book Ghost, Grizzly, Officer Skeleton
Level 70 bullet (16 attack, 2200 clip)
Peach Monkey, Mr. Alli, Beetle, Blood Harp, Dual Ghost Pirate, Dual Birk
Level 90 bullet (18 attack, 2600 clip)
Dark Yeti and Pepe, Werewolves, Wolf Spiders
Level 110 bullet (20 attack, 3000 clip)
Pianus, Papulatus

As you can see, the difference of attack between each bullet is 2 and the difference between clip size is 400. You're spamming double shot constantly so your bullets will run out fast if you're using low leveled bullets. Therefore higher level bullets means more training time.

Skill Builds

Invisible Shot Build
+ 1 Invisible Shot
+ 5 Mastery
+ 12 Booster
+ 14 Mastery
+ 8 Booster (Mastered)
+ 19 Invisible Shot (Mastered)
+ 5 Wings
+ 1 Recoil
+ 20 Blank Shot (Mastered)
+ 19 Recoil (Mastered)
+ 5 Wings (Mastered)
+ 11 Points Spare

"Why Invisible Shot?"
This build is made primarily for mob training. Being maple, mob training is the most ideal than single killing. This main reason for this build is to max Invisible Shot before 50 to open ideal training spots early.

"Why Blank Shot late?"
Once you max Invisible Shot, Blank Shot loses it usefulness for a time until you start training on big monsters that need to be stunned.

Blank Shot Build
+ 1 Invisible Shot
+ 5 Mastery
+ 12 Booster
+ 14 Mastery
+ 8 Booster (Mastered)
+ 20 Invisible Shot (Mastered)
+ 5 Wings
+ 20 Recoil (Mastered)
+ 5 Wings (Mastered)
+ 11 Points Spare

"Why Blank Shot?"
This skill relies more on Double Shot than anything. You freeze an enemy with Blank Shot and you blast away with Double Shot. This build provides safe and cheap training over the aggressive Invisible Shot. Also, it improves your usefulness in CPQ stunning multiple enemies

"Why late Recoil Shot?"
Blank Shot can fill the role of Recoil Shot having no minimum range and allows you to do manual spacing. If its too much of a hassle, get Recoil before Invisible.

Hentai's Personal Build (CPQ Friendly)
+ 1 Invisible Shot
+ 5 Wings
+ 1 Recoil
+ 5 Wings (Mastered)
+ 5 Mastery
+ 12 Booster
+ 14 Mastery
+ 5 Invisible Shot
+ 14 Invisible (Mastered)
+ 8 Booster (Mastered)
+ 19 Recoil (Mastered)
+ 11 Points Spare

"WTF? Why this build?"
CPQ friendly. Wings at first makes it very easy to take out protectors and Recoil creates good spacing. Also at late CPQ levels, pulling out Blank Shot right before 50 will make it easy to CPQ and train in the future. Basically, this is a more complicated Blank Shot Build

"Why leave Booster at 12 for so long?"
Two minute booster is good enough. Though its a hassle recasting the thing, its fairly simple to deal with.

"Why leave Invisible Shot so low for a while?"
Level 6 is good enough. 100% damage on a mob is good, and it goes hand and hand with Blank Shot if you can stun the monster.

QUOTE(MelonPops)
MelonPops' Personal Build (Invisible/Recoil Shot Build)
+1 Invisible shot
+5 Mastery
+6 Booster
+14 Mastery
+19 Invisible shot
+5 Wings
+20 Recoil shot
+20 Blank shot
+5 Wings
+14 Booster
+11 Grenade

"Invisible shot after mastery because it's basically your attack skill for mainly 2nd job. It allows you to snipe monsters that you're going to train on from 40-70. Such monsters include Retz, Iron Mutae, and Mysterious Path Three, and many others.

Recoil next because of travel purposes, plus it's fun. No idea what to explain more about it."

Third job
Though I'm not close to 70, about 20 levels away right now, I'd like say that I'm fond of the skills. Burst Fire is quite simply amazing and Flamethrower/Ice Splitter looks very nice. One thing I like are the summons that Outlaws have. Though I heard from Chris that they're mediocre. Regardless, everyone wants 3rd job, I'm no exception

Credits
Miyakazumi - As my primary gunslinger source
Shade - for promoting me to use Blank Shot
Mekeo - for bringing up the Invisible Shot Build
MelonPops - for his Recoil Shot build

Update Log:
December 1, 2008 - Images added and builds updated.
February 15, 2009 - Slight Updates

To be updated after 3rd job
If anyone wants to contribute, that'd be peachy :3

Edited by Hentai, 15 February 2009 - 09:26 PM.

Hentai loves you. Yes, you.

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 MelonPops

MelonPops

What the flegnog?

• Official Member
  • 817 posts
  • IGN:ItsCnnAgain

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:33 PM

Very nice guide. Although, I think that recoil should deserve a better rating. I'm very fond of it. Yes, it has a very large delay, however, it's not like you're going to spam it during training. Using it as a finisher and to move away from mobs makes it a plus.

Gets better as you max it. That's my opinion anyways.

Windia
ItsCnnAgain 160
CptnGreaves 94

#3 Tiger

Tiger

Smack that.

• Respected Member
  • 2230 posts
  • IGN:Parrrrrley - On Zenith!!

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

Recoil is more suited for travel purposes than training purposes.

#4 iGravy

iGravy

Gravy > Mashed Potato.

• Official Member
  • 841 posts
  • IGN:Frawr

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

As you can see, the difference of attack between each bullet is 2 and the difference between clip size is 400. You're spamming double shot constantly so you're bullets will run out fast if you're using low leveled bullets. Therefore higher level bullets means more training time.

*your

Good guide. I agree with Jeem, Recoil is at least a four. I could probably update you on third job skills, Frawr should be an Outlaw by late Tuesday, maybe Wednesday.

Sorry Stephen. I couldn't resist. ilu ;;

#5 Hentai

Hentai

Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3677 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:55 PM

I'll set it as 3-4. I'll agree that it is useful, but it just doesn't jump off the page for me. Maybe if it was higher level it'll show much more usefulness.

#6 Shade

Shade

P-p-p-pikaface p-p-pikaface

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 6801 posts
  • IGN:­MindLove [gMS Zenith]

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:43 PM

I saw a nice vid of an Outlaw today, with an interesting trick: At Squids in Aqua Dungeon, she'd swim to the top of the map, then spam Bombs directly in front of her as she floats down; they stack up and don't explode until they hit the ground, doing large amounts of stacked damage to mobs.

Maybe it's less useless than I first thought, but its uses are still very limited.

Regardless, great guide so far, I like seeing ones that aren't aimed at people who've never played MS before.

Posted Image
[alexshade]

[Dr. Shadefacé]

[UNLV]

#7 Miyakazumi

Miyakazumi

Royally Flushed

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3109 posts
  • IGN:-

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE(Shade @ Nov 30 2008, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw a nice vid of an Outlaw today, with an interesting trick: At Squids in Aqua Dungeon, she'd swim to the top of the map, then spam Bombs directly in front of her as she floats down; they stack up and don't explode until they hit the ground, doing large amounts of stacked damage to mobs.

Maybe it's less useless than I first thought, but its uses are still very limited.

Regardless, great guide so far, I like seeing ones that aren't aimed at people who've never played MS before.

I saw that video, but the bombs barely took off 1/18th of the squids' health. D;

The basic 3rd job build begins with maxing Triple/Burst fire, then either Octopus or Ice Splitter.
70 - 1 Burst Fire (1)
71 - 3 Burst Fire (4)
72 - 3 Burst Fire (7)
73 - 3 Burst Fire (10)
74 - 3 Burst Fire (13)
75 - 3 Burst Fire (16)
76 - 3 Burst Fire (19)
77 - 1 Burst Fire (20) / 2 Octopus OR 2 Ice Splitter (2)
78 - 3 Octopus OR 3 Ice Splitter (5)
79 - 3 Octopus OR 3 Ice Splitter (8)
80 - 3 Octopus OR 3 Ice Splitter (11)
81 - 3 Octopus OR 3 Ice Splitter (14)
82 - 3 Octopus OR 3 Ice Splitter (17)
83 - 3 Octopus OR 3 Ice Splitter (20)
84 - 3 Octopus OR 3 Ice Splitter (23)
85 - 3 Octopus OR 3 Ice Splitter (26)
86 - 3 Octopus OR 3 Ice Splitter (29)
87 - 1 Octopus OR 1 Ice Splitter (30) / 2 Into the one you didn't choose first (2)
88 - 3 Of Opposite (5)
89 - 3 Of Opposite (8)
90 - 3 Of Opposite (11)
91 - 3 Of Opposite (14)
92 - 3 Of Opposite (17)
93 - 3 Of Opposite (20)
94 - 3 Of Opposite (23)
95 - 3 Of Opposite (26)
96 - 3 Of Opposite (29)
97 - 1 Of Opposite (30) / 2 Gaviota (2)
98 - 3 Gaviota (5)
99 - 3 Gaviota (8)
100 - 3 Gaviota (11)
101 - 3 Gaviota (14)
102 - 3 Gaviota (17)
103 - 3 Gaviota (20)
104 - 3 Gaviota (23)
105 - 3 Gaviota (26)
106 - 3 Gaviota (29)
107 - 1 Gaviota (30) / 2 Homing Beacon (2)
108 - 3 Homing Beacon (5)
109 - 3 Homing Beacon (8)
110 - 3 Homing Beacon (11)
111 - 3 Homing Beacon (14)
112 - 3 Homing Beacon (17)
113 - 3 Homing Beacon (20)
114 - 3 Homing Beacon (23)
115 - 3 Homing Beacon (26)
116 - 3 Homing Beacon (29)
117 - 1 Homing Beacon (30) / 2 Flamethrower (2)
118 - 3 Flamethrower (5)
119 - 3 Flamethrower (8)
120 - 3 Flamethrower (11)

Flamethrower's use as a mobbing skill has been debated, but most opt it out due to Battleship Torpedo overshadowing it almost instantly, as well as the fact that flamethrower has a time delay between each use, requires a maxed Elemental Amp and a supply of Fire Capsules to get it to maximum damage.

Edited by Miyakazumi, 01 December 2008 - 01:58 AM.

Cube Slime does mime

ಠζಠ
-

#8 Hentai

Hentai

Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3677 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:12 PM

Miya, can you explain the usefulness of Octopus over Ice Splitter or vice versa? At first glance, both skills don't seem that all equal, also Ice Splitter seems to be in the shadow of Blank Shot. Perhaps clear up my misconceptions?

#9 Miyakazumi

Miyakazumi

Royally Flushed

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3109 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(Hentai @ Dec 1 2008, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Miya, can you explain the usefulness of Octopus over Ice Splitter or vice versa? At first glance, both skills don't seem that all equal, also Ice Splitter seems to be in the shadow of Blank Shot. Perhaps clear up my misconceptions?

The Octopus vs ice splitter depends on how you want to train during the 70-100 levels.
Maxing Octopus first is beneficial if you're gonna be sniping monsters. Jr. Newties sniping for example The octopus deal damage that racks up over time, and since you're usually sniping the same newtie from a platform where it can't hit you, freezing is useless.

Ice Splitter would be more useful if you were going towards a more practical approach at training, such as at Kentaurus where freezing is a life saver.

Ice Splitter hits up to six and has a 6 second freeze as opposed to the 3 monster/4 second stun of Blank shot.

Edited by Miyakazumi, 01 December 2008 - 03:20 PM.

Cube Slime does mime

ಠζಠ
-

#10 Tiger

Tiger

Smack that.

• Respected Member
  • 2230 posts
  • IGN:Parrrrrley - On Zenith!!

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(Miyakazumi @ Dec 1 2008, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Hentai @ Dec 1 2008, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Octopus vs ice splitter depends on how you want to train during the 70-100 levels.
Maxing Octopus first is beneficial if you're gonna be sniping monsters. Jr. Newties sniping for example The octopus deal damage that racks up over time, and since you're usually sniping the same newtie from a platform where it can't hit you, freezing is useless.

Ice Splitter would be more useful if you were going towards a more practical approach at training, such as at Kentaurus where freezing is a life saver.

Ice Splitter hits up to six and has a 6 second freeze as opposed to the 3 monster/4 second stun of Blank shot.

Holy crap.

I need to start training my gunslinger after I get my brawler to 3rd job. mush1a.gif

#11 Hentai

Hentai

Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3677 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:32 PM

6 seconds with no strings attached? Meaning at level one without elemental booster?

#12 Miyakazumi

Miyakazumi

Royally Flushed

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3109 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE(Hentai @ Dec 1 2008, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
6 seconds with no strings attached? Meaning at level one without elemental booster?

6 seconds at...max level... ;_; Without elemental booster, though.
The only string attached is the "no freezing ice monsters" rule, but there's hardly any ice monsters worth bothering (and most ice monsters have a fire counterpart you can abuse anyway...)

EDIT: It seems I misread Insoya and it's a 4 second freeze without element mastery, and 6 with.

Edited by Miyakazumi, 03 December 2008 - 03:53 PM.

Cube Slime does mime

ಠζಠ
-

#13 Hentai

Hentai

Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3677 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:15 PM

I'll update this weekend for a quick analysis of the 3rd job skills.

#14 MelonPops

MelonPops

What the flegnog?

• Official Member
  • 817 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

May I add a default build for gunslingers? It's kinda like the invisible shot first one.

+1 Invisible shot
+5 Mastery
+6 Booster
+14 Mastery
+19 Invisible shot
+5 Wings
+20 Recoil shot
+20 Blank shot
+5 Wings
+14 Booster
+11 Grenade

Yields the same results, however, order of preference.

Windia
ItsCnnAgain 160
CptnGreaves 94

#15 Hentai

Hentai

Lagromancer

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3677 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:28 PM

I'll label it as your personal build. Perhaps provide reasoning why to support it.

#16 MelonPops

MelonPops

What the flegnog?

• Official Member
  • 817 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:37 AM

Wings
+ Able to be faster than a tamed hog if combined with recoil. A suitable macro would be Wings > Recoil > Wings.

I found a use for grenade as well. It allows you to lure monsters over if you're on a sniping platform such as Mysterious Path 3 or Iron Mutaes. Saves time and pots.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Edit: Also, the level 70 bullet is incorrect. It's 2200 bullets without mastery, 2400 with.

Edit2: For the build:

Invisible shot after mastery because it's basically your attack skill for mainly 2nd job. It allows you to snipe monsters that you're going to train on from 40-70. Such monsters include Retz, Iron Mutae, and Mysterious Path Three, and many others.

Recoil next because of travel purposes, plus it's fun. No idea what to explain more about it.

Edited by MelonPops, 03 January 2009 - 11:44 AM.

Windia
ItsCnnAgain 160
CptnGreaves 94

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users