#1 Hydralisk

Hydralisk

Gatekeeper

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3133 posts
  • IGN:Burrowed

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:32 PM

Source.

Julio Diaz has a daily routine. Every night, the 31-year-old social worker ends his hour-long subway commute to the Bronx one stop early, just so he can eat at his favorite diner.

But one night last month, as Diaz stepped off the No. 6 train and onto a nearly empty platform, his evening took an unexpected turn.

He was walking toward the stairs when a teenage boy approached and pulled out a knife.

"He wants my money, so I just gave him my wallet and told him, 'Here you go,'" Diaz says.

As the teen began to walk away, Diaz told him, "Hey, wait a minute. You forgot something. If you're going to be robbing people for the rest of the night, you might as well take my coat to keep you warm."

The would-be robber looked at his would-be victim, "like what's going on here?" Diaz says. "He asked me, 'Why are you doing this?'"

Diaz replied: "If you're willing to risk your freedom for a few dollars, then I guess you must really need the money. I mean, all I wanted to do was get dinner and if you really want to join me ... hey, you're more than welcome.

"You know, I just felt maybe he really needs help," Diaz says.

Diaz says he and the teen went into the diner and sat in a booth.

"The manager comes by, the dishwashers come by, the waiters come by to say hi," Diaz says. "The kid was like, 'You know everybody here. Do you own this place?'"

"No, I just eat here a lot," Diaz says he told the teen. "He says, 'But you're even nice to the dishwasher.'"

Diaz replied, "Well, haven't you been taught you should be nice to everybody?"

"Yea, but I didn't think people actually behaved that way," the teen said.

Diaz asked him what he wanted out of life. "He just had almost a sad face," Diaz says.

The teen couldn't answer Diaz or he didn't want to.

When the bill arrived, Diaz told the teen, "Look, I guess you're going to have to pay for this bill 'cause you have my money and I can't pay for this. So if you give me my wallet back, I'll gladly treat you."

The teen "didn't even think about it" and returned the wallet, Diaz says. "I gave him $20 ... I figure maybe it'll help him. I don't know."

Diaz says he asked for something in return the teen's knife "and he gave it to me."

Afterward, when Diaz told his mother what happened, she said, "You're the type of kid that if someone asked you for the time, you gave them your watch."

"I figure, you know, if you treat people right, you can only hope that they treat you right. It's as simple as it gets in this complicated world."

Almost sounds like a story from a movie...

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 SpionKop

SpionKop

Oh, such the poser.

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 7790 posts
  • IGN:lmUnfunded (l=L)

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:39 PM

Yeah, I do agree that this sounds like something from a movie. mush1k.gif It's touching. If only it was representative of the majority of muggings.
My avatar is so old, it's voting for McCain. :[
But Karen still owns at art. <3

#3 betakyros

betakyros

Wraith awaiting launch orders.

• Official Member
  • 1221 posts
  • IGN:betakyros

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:40 PM

...There are just some people like that out there. Unfortunately I am not one of them. ~_^ But that guy just became one of my new role models. Morally of course.

Not so sure I agree with the last part, but the beginning is true.

#4 skate4lyph

skate4lyph
  • IGN:xDrums

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

Wow, I bet that kid was pretty happy. I hope he gave up robbing people.
xDrums - 5x Lukless Ice/Lightning Wizard (Bellocan)

Gamertag: skate4lyph <- Add me!

#5 Miyakazumi

Miyakazumi

Royally Flushed

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3109 posts
  • IGN:-

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:26 PM

Kid enters a subway hoping to steal some money, kid leaves with a new outlook in life.

Cube Slime does mime

ಠζಠ
-

#6 JadeCurtiss

JadeCurtiss

Badass charismatic genius

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 5490 posts
  • IGN:Arisato

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:41 PM

News like this reminds me that we can go a long way when we don't judge every person who does bad acts as a bad person.
Nothing to see here. Move along now.

#7 Maestar

Maestar

Purple-Mounted

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3158 posts
  • IGN:LFiasco

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:02 PM

Definitely. But sometimes it's so easy to judge...it almost comes natural when you're exposed to this. That's the sort of guy I want to be when I grow up...time for some life changes of my own for that to happen mush1n.gif

Edited by Maestar, 03 April 2008 - 11:03 PM.

What is the Black Star? Is it the cat with the black shades, the black car? Is it shinin from very far, to where you are? It is commonplace and different. Intimate and distant. Fresher than an infant

#8 MariaColette

MariaColette

Bowmaster at heart.

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 5436 posts
  • IGN:MariettaRC (RIP MariaColette)

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:13 PM

I love this guy for that, really. That is just... wow.

QUOTE(Miyakazumi @ Apr 4 2008, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kid enters a subway hoping to steal some money, kid leaves with a new outlook in life.

QFT.

Posted Image
Click the image to see my deviantART!
Artifact Hunt: 2nd place winner, March 7th, 2010.
Main character: MariettaRC - Level 157 Bowmaster.
Main secondary character: Paratroopea - Level 124 Corsair.
Main tertiary characters: DrMarioPhD - Level 140 Bishop / Sujinpuffy - Level 110 I/L Mage
... and a billion other alts...
Proud Co-Master of KoopaForce.

#9 Pheropod

Pheropod

Book Worm

• Respected Member
  • 1529 posts
  • IGN:Gunship

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:22 PM

Wow, he's an amazing person. I wish more people were like him, the world would be a better place. He's really brave.

#10 Soaa-

Soaa-

Ed's body... it's mine...!

• MT Awards Creator
  • 5433 posts
  • IGN:UnluckysparX

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:09 AM

Wow, what a touching story! O_O;

I guess things like this don't happen all the time. The kid was probably alone, and pretty young. One wouldn't dare to do this against a mob of older muggers!
Behold, I will corrupt your seed,
and spread dung upon your faces

Malachi 2:3

Still love you, muh friends. <3

#11 Kasi

Kasi

Rabid science fiction.

• Love
  • 2962 posts
  • IGN:Furufi

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:42 AM

I wish most people were like this.

I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke.
Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly,
or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?
Zhuangzi

#12 pigreaper

pigreaper

MC Public Urination

• Official Member
  • 849 posts
  • IGN:rolee2nd

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:34 AM

this is the sole reason why the bible states that you should turn the other cheek, feed your enemies, and a bunch of other things that are so against human nature to do when someone wrong's you.

99.999999% of people would have found some weapon and chased his ___ down and beat him (heck i would too). but two wrongs don't make a right.

and i would bet a lot of money that 99% of muggings are from people with drug/alcohol related problems, maybe instead of putting more police out there to stop these things from happening, maybe more things should be done for people so they do not become so desperate as to resort to theft to fuel their addictions
***sper m*

#13 SoIntoYou

SoIntoYou

~

• MapleTip Contributor
  • 889 posts
  • IGN:SoIntoYou

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:26 AM

Is it just me or does he kinda look like THE ROCK, lol o_0.

I read this story already- it's so touching heh mush1n.gif
Posted Image

#14 NubBeginner

NubBeginner

Alegria

• MapleTip Contributor
  • 5118 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

My friend's father was robbed a few years back and basically similar acts of compassion took place.

Only my friend's dad was home one early morning around 5am when a robber broke into his house and started to steal valuables. Since my friend's dad wakes up early he was already doing chores when he sees the robber. They both make eye contact and for a split second the robber hesitates, so my friend's dad tells him, "It's ok. Don't be alarmed. I'm not going to call the police. I'm just making breakfast, if you want some, follow me to the kitchen." He then turns his back on the robber and just walks into the kitchen. The robber was so intrigued (and probably surprised) that he followed my friend's dad. The robber watched my friend's dad make breakfast and then sat down with him to eat. My friend's dad then talked to him for about an hour about the Bible and stuff and then the robber left. Two days later the robber came back and asked my friend's dad to tell him more and eventually got saved. That was like... six or something years ago. When I heard that story, I thought it was pretty crazy (In a good way).

The compassion of strangers never ceases to amaze me.

Happiness is finding satisfaction in what you have and where you are.

#15 Maestar

Maestar

Purple-Mounted

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3158 posts
  • IGN:LFiasco

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:01 PM

About the most I do for strangers (cause I always keep change on me) is when they ask for change, I'll give em like a lot. Need 1$? 3$ for you. Need 3$? Screw it the five is yours. The reason I do this is because I know they can at least get a bag of chips or a drink, something to survive them the night ye know? I hate when people are hungry, cause nobody deserves to go a night without something in their belly. Whether they just use it for cigarettes or some drugs, I like the feeling that they're gonna get something to eat then just that.

What is the Black Star? Is it the cat with the black shades, the black car? Is it shinin from very far, to where you are? It is commonplace and different. Intimate and distant. Fresher than an infant

#16 Haelionis

Haelionis

The Cathayan

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 7162 posts
  • IGN:Quit

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:52 AM

That was a touching story o_o;

I remember when I was 13, Me and my friend Jacob were walking down the city, and we saw a hobo begging for food and money, I bought him an apple and a bottle of water from the shop next to him, I gave the apple to him and the bottle of water, along with a 2 dollar coin, he just stared at the apple, I didn't get a reply, and as I was walking away, he threw the apple at me, and yelled "I WANT REAL FOOD!!!!!!". I turned my head and walked away.

It hurt me inside for awhile, but in conclusion, it was his fault for not eating a decently good apple.

I still give hobos and the needy food, when I can, not always though, but I try my best.

Thanks to Faded

#17 Monday

Monday

Disney Land

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2063 posts
  • IGN:Alei

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:29 PM

Damn, what a fairy tale.
I'm giving out NX Cash to the first 1,000 people to post in this topic.
QUOTE(Heh & friends)
Newb = New to the game.
Noob = Isn't familiar to the rules and behaves bad/is a bad player.
Moob = Moob is... WHAT THE? MOOB?
From Rini: M aplers O veruse O ranges in B era
From Atilla: Moob = carpal tunnel syndrome...except different
Come on, everyone wants a piece of this, PM me your most creative moob definitions. Oh and by the way, most definitions I get are about breasts or manboobs, please try to be creative.

#18 substrizzle

substrizzle

Stirge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • IGN:Altezza

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

Yeah, sounds like some that should come from a story book now a days. Good to know there are still genuinely good people out there. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy mush1q.gif
On a long break from Maple~

17x Scania Bishop

Level 100 reached 11/28/2008
ZHelm obtained 12/20/2008(finally)
Level 120/Bishop reached 12/27/2008
Genesis30 attempt 1 - passed 4/29/2009

11x Scania Dragon Knight

Lv.70/DK reached 5/4/09

#19 WHAM

WHAM

I DONT WANT UR FREEDOM

• Respected Member
  • 1982 posts
  • IGN:WhamWaffle

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:52 AM

It's interesting how someone bad can become good in a small way. At least he doesn't go tell the teen to get out like a rat and actually knows why she steals.

I hope the teen could find a better way to get money rather than stealing mush1n.gif
Posted Image
Whamwaffle - 3X Dawn Warrior - INACTIVE

#20 MapleWarrior

MapleWarrior

Yeti

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • IGN:-None-

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:29 PM

What a cheesy story...I think any guy who did such a generous act like that is TOO spoiled. I hope I don't sound too mean when I say that anyone doing that has too much money. And giving away your wallet is dangerous, especially when in the care of someone who WILL most likely use your credit card.

Think about the identity theft! How would he know he would give it back in the end? It's either he is too spoiled/rich, or this was staged. :\

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users