Godforsaken

Really, really, really high.

• Respected Member
  • 1928 posts
  • IGN:Quit.

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

Valour's Guide to Magicians.

Version:
0.01: I just started the guide, and it was on my computer, just sitting there.
0.02: Made the guide a little bit simpler for the people that don't know why your LUK should be +3 your level, and that Southern Forest Dungeon is a slime tree.
0.03: Added a section about Maple Island.
0.04: Added Greenstriker's clothing guide as a temporary equipment guide.

Table of Contents

1. An Introduction to Mages
2. Beginning Your Mage
3. Your Skills as a Magician, and Where To Put Them (working on it ^^)
4. Recommended Training Spots
5. Recommendations For Equipment (still to come)
6. About the Author
7. Other Notes (none yet)
8. Thanks

1. An Introduction to Mages
Magicians are a very important and powerful class in Maplestory. They use their amazing and powerful powers to attack with magical fury upon their enemies.. They cannot wear heavy armour, and have the least Health Points out of any class. To counter that claim, they have the most Mana Points out of any class, and have a really cool skill (called Magic Guard) that converts 80% of damage from HP damage to MP damage. Magicians can be used as money makers (Money Clerics), and as awesomely powerful main characters. Good luck with starting your Magician.

2. Beginning Your Mage
On the starting screen, for creating your character, you want to look for as much INT (Intelligence) and LUK (Luck) as possible. The best possible stat combination is anything in INT, anything in LUK, and four in both STR and INT. At all times, unless you are making a LUKless mage (which are not covered in this guide) your LUK should be three points above your level.
Note: The LUK +3 rule is only to use the equipment for your level.

Maple Island:
While on Maple Island, you should train on Green Snails, and that's about it. Red Snails and anything of a higher level will be a little bit too tough for you to train on in your weak melee state. Skypie12 put it very well, and I quote directly from his post:
I think to clear it up a bit, you should say that "shrooms or blue snails are also possible, but not worth the time, as it will take about 7 hits to kill a blue snail, and you only get 4 exp. for a green snail(3-4hits) you get 3. So, in the time that you get 4 exp from a blue snail, you could have killed 2 green snails, totaling 6 exp.It is 8-10 hits for a shroom for 5 exp. you can kill 3-4 green snails in this time. 3x3=9 3x4=12, as opposed to 5 exp, you can almost double it.

Don't do Mai, Biggs' or any of the newer quests, because they require you to take down some of the tougher monsters on Maple Island. I do recommend doing Maria's letter quest, and Pio's relaxer quest, because they will give you some stuff that'll help on your road to becoming the most powerful Magician ever.
Note: Sorry, but I don't know what all of the newer quests on Maple Island are called. I will be making a test character to find out.

3. Your Skills as A Magician, and Where To Put Them

Energy Bolt:
1. MP -6; Basic attack 20, mastery 15%
10. MP -9; Basic attack 35, mastery 35%
20. MP -14; Basic attack 55, mastery 60%
This'll be your first attacking skill as a Magician! You will only be putting one point in this skill though, as this skill is pretty weak.

Improving MP Recovery:
1. Constant additional recovery of MP
8. Constant additional recovery of MP
16. Constant additional recovery of MP
This will make your Mana Points recover over a short time span (three seconds).
Note: There is a formula for finding how much MP you'll recover every three seconds:
{} = rounded down:
{3 + ((Skill level/10)*(Character level))} = Amount of MP recovered every 10 sec.

Improving Max MP Increase
1. If MaxMP levels up, 2, if AP is applied, add 1 more
5. If MaxMP levels up, 10, if AP is applied, add 5 more
10. If MaxMP levels up, 20, if AP is applied, add 10 more
This skill makes your Max MP go up by more every time you level up. This'll be the first skill you max.

Magic Claw
1. MP -10; Basic attack 11 x 2 Hit, mastery 15%
10. MP -13; Basic attack 23 x 2 Hit, mastery 35%
20. MP -20; Basic attack 40 x 2 Hit, mastery 60%
This is your basic attack all through your first job. Get used to it.

Magic Guard
1. MP -6; Replace 11% of HP damage as MP for 111 seconds.
10. MP -8; Replace 42% of HP damage as MP for 330 seconds.
20. MP -12; Replace 80% of HP damage as MP for 600 seconds.
I'm not even going to put Magic Armour in this guide because of its uselessness. This skill completely outclasses it. As you can see from the skill information, it replaces (when it's maxed) 80% of your HP damage as MP damage for ten minutes.

4. Recommended Training Spots

8-10 – Go to Henesys Hunting Grounds 1 and kill the snails at the bottom
10-16 – Go to Ellinia again, and go to Southern Forest Dungeon I, I know this is a long time to train at one spot, but trust me, you won’t want to go anywhere else. (For the people that do not know, the proper name, this is a slime tree).
16- 21 – Go to Pig Beach, and then train there. You may want to stay until 22 or 23 to leave and go to Ant Tunnel I, but I left at 21.
21-30 – Ant tunnel I, II or III. This is a very long time to train at one spot, but you’ll be so happy to advance at the end, you won’t really care.
Note: I do not explain how to get to these places, but you should know anyway. If you really don’t know, ask another player, because I don’t have the time to write out detailed descriptions to get to spots which everyone knows about.
Other Note: After you get past level 25, you can go almost anywhere and train on stuff that you can kill in 1-2 hits.
Other, Other Note: Bodom recommends Rocky and Wooden Masks for levels 25-30 (which can be found at Perion Excavation Site III). It's a great money maker from drops!
5. Recommended Clothing and Equipment

Still to come. mush1o.gif... While I'm working on this, go look at Greenstriker's AWESOME magician clothing and equipment guide here.

6. About the Author
Bah, I play on Broa, and I have a cleric called Foolfuggler… Anything else?
Note: I'm mainly playing on a private server version of MapleStory called OdinMS. So I may not be on gMS very much.

7. Other Notes

I’m still working on the guide, so don’t bug me about “other notes”.
8. Thanks
Thanks to You, the reader, for reading my guide mush1k.gif
Thanks to Me, for writing the guide.
Thanks to MapleTip, for hosting my guide.
Thanks to Blade Oracle, for pointing out that LUK +3 is only to wear equipment.
Thanks to Skypie12, for giving me the formula for exp on Maple Island.
Thanks to Bodom, for reminding me about Rocky and Wooden Masks.
Thanks to MapleWiki (created by MapleTip) and all the people that edited it for the skills and skill build information.

Edited by Raseru-Kun, 02 April 2008 - 12:12 PM.

LIKE A BOSS.

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts
  • IGN:HolyOracle-Lv 90

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:06 PM

Mention slime trees for training, as it is probably one of the best places to train in the late 1X. Also mention that LUK being your level +3 is only due to equipment requirements. I await the rest of the guide =P.

Posted Image

#3 Godforsaken

Godforsaken

• Respected Member
  • 1928 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:41 PM

Thanks Blade Oracle, I thought I did mention the slime tree for training.. lol I did. The southern forest dungeon IS a slime tree... Thanks for the tip, I'll put that in about the LUK.

LIKE A BOSS.

#4 skypie12

skypie12

My hunter is my life!

• Official Member
  • 571 posts
  • IGN:chamsrock

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:17 PM

Now, about the part where you say "you should train on Green Snails, and that's about it. Red Snails and anything of a higher level will be a little bit too tough", I think to clear it up a bit, you should say that "shrooms or blue snails are also possible, but not worth the time, as it will take about 7 hits to kill a blue snail, and you only get 4 exp. for a green snail(3-4hits) you get 3. So, in the time that you get 4 exp from a blue snail, you could have killed 2 green snails, totaling 6 exp.It is 8-10 hits for a shroom for 5 exp. you can kill 3-4 green snails in this time. 3x3=9 3x4=12, as opposed to 5 exp, you can almost double it. I just think that it would make it a bit more easy to understand. other than that, Very nice(although I was at mushroom forest 'till level 20, as they deal less damage but give the same Exp as pigs).
Coldplay is epic win! Anyone else agree?

#5 Godforsaken

Godforsaken

• Respected Member
  • 1928 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:33 PM

Thanks very much skypie12, I will be putting that "formula" in... Can I quote it directly?

LIKE A BOSS.

#6 skypie12

skypie12

My hunter is my life!

• Official Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:23 PM

Yes, of course, just glad I could help.

#7 Bodom

Bodom

Hero.

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2565 posts
  • IGN:Strombidae

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:38 PM

You forgot to add that Rocky and Wooden Masks at the Perion Excavation Site (Map 3) are GREAT for 25-30 as an alternative for Ant Tunnel. The spawn is great and it's a great money maker... I got a 60% Cape INT there on Freezetastic. <3
Strombidae - 123 Windia Hero. 2-monster hitting Brandish is so hot.
SeasonabIe - 49 Windia Cleric. Unmotivated to level.

??????? - Night Walker in progress.

#8 Godforsaken

Godforsaken

• Respected Member
  • 1928 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

Thanks Bodom. mush1o.gif I ish gonna be done for a while after the skill information.

LIKE A BOSS.

#9 skypie12

skypie12

My hunter is my life!

• Official Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:52 AM

Actualy, i didn't give you the "formula", I just told you where there is a better Hit:exp ratio. 0.0 here I go again.T_T. It takes 3 hits to gain 3 exp, meaning that the ratio is 1:1. However, at blue snails, it takes 7 hits for 4 exp. 7/4= 0.5714 Blah blah blah. so, green snails are better than blue. lets look at shrooms. 8-10 For 5. Lets take 9. 9/5= 0.5555 etc.. so, as you can see, green snails are the best thing to kill untill level 8, where you can kill slimes or red snails.(After the JA.

Edited by skypie12, 16 March 2008 - 04:52 AM.

#10 Godforsaken

Godforsaken

• Respected Member
  • 1928 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:26 AM

I understand you did not give me a formula, but a exp to hit ratio... I got it, but I didn't know exactly what to call it mush1k.gif

LIKE A BOSS.

#11 skypie12

skypie12

My hunter is my life!

• Official Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:34 AM

Ok. Anyway, I'm just glad i could help in some way. mush1z.gif

#12 Bodom

Bodom

Hero.

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2565 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:51 PM

How about Ratio? mush1k.gif

This is a well known tip I followed for Freezetastic when he was a low level...

I know how boring it is, but I would recommend STAYING on Maple Island until you're about 300 EXP away from Level 9, the reason being is because once you do that, you can go to Victoria, in Lith Harbor, you talk to Olaf and do his Path of Magician quest, that way, when you talk to Grendel and advance, you put the point into Energy Bolt, then finish the quest, which should level you up! That way, when you put your 3 points into MP Recovery, you don't have to wait off as much.

It was REALLY annoying spamming Energy Bolt at Level 8 and then having to wait off the MP recovery, I didn't do any quests, so I had no MP potions, which is why I recommend it. mush1n.gif

#13 iTsDrLoL

iTsDrLoL

Stirge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • IGN:Quit

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:09 PM

If you created a character recently or just now, you'll receive more HP potions and MP potions than before. So it'll be easier for Magicians to level quickly after getting their job advance.

#14 Bodom

Bodom

Hero.

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2565 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(iTsDrLoL @ Mar 16 2008, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you created a character recently or just now, you'll receive more HP potions and MP potions than before. So it'll be easier for Magicians to level quickly after getting their job advance.

True, but I'd prefer to save as many potions as possible.

#15 Godforsaken

Godforsaken

• Respected Member
  • 1928 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

Whoops all sorry for not checking back...

I'm only making a guide for the build that I followed... Which is the power leveling build.

LIKE A BOSS.

#16 skypie12

skypie12

My hunter is my life!

• Official Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:26 AM

Actualy, I was at the rocky masks at level 23. I recommend killing horned mushrooms from 21-23, collecting the wizard potions. Then go to the Masks. The potions should last to the point where you can one hit kill them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users