#1 scan-9

scan-9

Master Magician

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • IGN:JbBrigand/JbWoodsman/JbPaladin

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:05 AM

This build is based on defensive skills only. The only offensive skills you may use will be Bolt and Shining Ray, but only for the use of MP Eater.
This class utilizes STR instead of INT, and uses beginner equips, except for the few maces they can use. The basic reason why the idea of a STR mage exists because of the lv 15-25 maces, of which magicians can use.
Basically, it's a beginner without the low cab prices and the ability to save EXP when dieing, but with the ability to have highly increased defense, the ability to drain MP, Heal (Which is only really good alone and maxed), and Teleport. Some people from other boards say that it isn't worth it, but I think it's only because they die too much. mush1o.gif
Your INT will be 20 and stay 20 for the life of your character. (Not sure if you are allowed to use Resets on them yet). This means you will have low M.Def, and you will not be able to hit any monsters, except the weak ones, with magic. But since MP Eater doesn't need magic to hit to be able to drain, there isn't too much of a problem.

Alright, so you will begin in the training camp. Finish it, and begin the real deal.
I suggest killing nothing except the monsters required for the quests, of which you do them all. If you over kill, you may have too much experience to finish some of the quests before Lv.8. Since you will have alright STR, you will be able to finish all the fighting quests with some proficiency. I suggest you do the hat and the chair quests first, because you will not be able to deal as much damage to monsters as they can do to you until later (Orange Mushrooms >.<).
Speaking of Orange Mushrroms, I think the best place to find them and easily defeat them is the map right of Amherst, all the way to the top. The platorms are disconnected, so you can whack away without them getting at you.
Eventually, you will finish and be on your way to Victoria Island. Be sure to do the "Lesson in Job Advancement" quest, unless you made a mistake and would level to 9 after getting the EXP from that one plus the 300 from Grendal.
Make your way to Ellinia. I prefer walking so I can save the few extra mesos, because you will be strapped for cash for a while. get your advancement, and there you go.

--Starting Stats--
STR - X }
DEX - X }
INT - X } None of these really matter right now, but I like to have my STR higher, so I can reach my Lv. 8 maximum faster.
LUK - 6 (For Black Umbrella, and so you can wear more DEX clothing without worrying about LUK with the umbrella)

For adding stats together, you will follow the basic Warrior build of adding 3 to STR and 2 to DEX every level (or 5 STR for 3 levels, and 5 to DEX for 2 levels).

Stats for Lv. 8
STR:18
DEX:16
INT:20
LUK:6

Beginner Skills:
They really don't matter. You will have alot of MP. Three Snails could be used straight away out of getting your first job because of the high amount of MP you will have, but I prefer the other two.
----------
This part explains the way the skills should be set up. (Note, I haven't completely finished Priest yet, so any possible revisions would be appreciated, but I think I have a good combination).
So when a skill gets up to the level I have here, go down to the next skill and add until it is the level I have, and so on and so forth.

--Magician (Lv.8, 67SP)--
Improving MP Recovery - 5
Improving Max MP Increase - 10 (MORE MP! Magic Guard is a staple, and with more MP, it's even more useful)
Magic Guard - 3
Magic Armor - 20
Magic Guard - 20 }
Improving MP Recovery - 16} (Best if added equally)
Bolt - 1 (MP Eater)
-----
TOTAL:
Improving MP Recovery - 16
Improving Max MP Increase - 10
Magic Guard - 20
magic Armor - 20
Bolt - 1
Magic Claw - 0
----------

--Cleric (Lv.30, 121SP) --
Teleport - 1
Heal - 5 (Heal is based on Magic Attack, keep this off to the side for now)
Invincible - 5
Bless - 20 }
Invincible - 20} (Add equally)
Heal - 30
Teleport - 20
MP Eater - 20 (Bolt can drain, even if you miss. Try it when you are safe from damage on a ledge or something.)
Holy Arrow - 11 (Won't use, Bolt better for Eater)
-----
TOTAL:
MP Eater - 20
Teleport - 20
Heal - 30
Invincible - 20
Bless - 20
Holy Arrow - 11
----------

--Priest (Lv.70, 151SP)--
Element Resistance - 1
Dispel - 3
Holy Symbol - 30 }
Element Resistance - 20} (Interchangable, depending on preference, or add equally)
Dispel - 20
Shining Ray - 1 (Great for drain as you hit 6 monsters. Rather slow, though)
Mystic Door - 1 (Reason? Not as useful needing a rock, but more useful than nothing right now)
Doom - 30 (Based on % of success rate, not M.Att... uber cool)
Mystic Door - 20
Summon Dragon - 30 (Not going to use)
-----
TOTAL
Elemental Resistance - 20
Dispel - 20
Mystic Door - 20
Holy Symbol - 30
Shining Ray - 1
Doom - 30
Summon Dragon - 30
----------

--Bishop (Lv.120)--
Alright, well... you made it this far... after this point, you will be able to max all skills eventually... but here's the order I think would be best for this build.

Mana Reflection - It says on the Maplewiki site that this will prevent all magic damage, and reflect damage back...
Maple Hero - Adds 10% to all AP stats to all party members.
Resurrection - Cool... revive a party member. Make sure he doesn't die again for 30 mins tho... cooldown.
Hero's Will - Depending on your preference, you can switch this with Resurrection.
Infinity - You won't be using Genesis or anything. But you can still recieve less damage when you work with Magic Guard.
Holy Sheild - It's like a natural dispel...

I guess after that, you can just add into whatever. It's not like they will help with anything.

Edited by scan-9, 03 April 2008 - 07:20 AM.

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Cacophobia

Cacophobia

Iron Hog

• Official Member
  • 496 posts
  • IGN:MrBrandini

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:41 PM

Cool guide, there are a few details on the guide you can work on but overall its fine.

I have a strength magician, level 20 currently. I use it when I am bored.
MrBrandini-Khaini-Level 43-Dex Islander

#3 scan-9

scan-9

Master Magician

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE(Cacophobia @ Dec 5 2007, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool guide, there are a few details on the guide you can work on but overall its fine.

I have a strength magician, level 20 currently. I use it when I am bored.

thanks a bunch, for it is my first guide I have written... I am actually at school, so I don't get enough free time to play around.

I'll get home soon, so I'll be able to add more detail.

#4 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts
  • IGN:HolyOracle-Lv 90

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:34 PM

Why not summon dragon? It's damage isn't based off of your MAtt is it?

Otherwise, well written and thought out. Also, Clerics and Priests actually have 121 and 151 SP to use respectively, but that's a small thing.

Posted Image

#5 scan-9

scan-9

Master Magician

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(Blade Oracle @ Dec 5 2007, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not summon dragon? It's damage isn't based off of your MAtt is it?

Otherwise, well written and thought out. Also, Clerics and Priests actually have 121 and 151 SP to use respectively, but that's a small thing.

Summon Dragon at max has the same base attack as all the other maxed holy spells. Thus meaning it is based off of M.Att...

And i knew i was missing SOMETHING with the skills...

thx a load

#6 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:42 PM

Interesting...but wouldn't Bahamut be useful, seeing as it attacks (on it's own) up to 3 monsters, thus making it a sort of monster magnet thing? You'd need to take 14 out of Door and put it into Dragon, but it may be helpful. I don't know many people who would make it that far, heh.

Also, bishop skills are out and are rather definite.

Posted Image

#7 scan-9

scan-9

Master Magician

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(Blade Oracle @ Dec 5 2007, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting...but wouldn't Bahamut be useful, seeing as it attacks (on it's own) up to 3 monsters, thus making it a sort of monster magnet thing? You'd need to take 14 out of Door and put it into Dragon, but it may be helpful. I don't know many people who would make it that far, heh.

Also, bishop skills are out and are rather definite.

Bahamut:
Max Level 30: 160 MP,160 seconds lasting duration, 230 magic power.

Meaning magic attack, I guess.

#8 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:58 PM

For Mana Reflection: Level 30: MP -45, for duration of 250secs, with success rate 60%, returns 200% of magic damage received back to enemy.

I'm not sure if that means like power guard, where you still take damage, or if you don't take damage at all. I think the former is more likely.

You'd probably want Maple Warrior first, because other classes would probably max this later expecting someone else to max it before them, so you might get into parties even without a good heal. It will also help with training anyways.

Too bad about the attacks; Bishops really become a powerhouse.

Posted Image

#9 scan-9

scan-9

Master Magician

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE(Blade Oracle @ Dec 5 2007, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For Mana Reflection: Level 30: MP -45, for duration of 250secs, with success rate 60%, returns 200% of magic damage received back to enemy.

I'm not sure if that means like power guard, where you still take damage, or if you don't take damage at all. I think the former is more likely.

You'd probably want Maple Warrior first, because other classes would probably max this later expecting someone else to max it before them, so you might get into parties even without a good heal. It will also help with training anyways.

Too bad about the attacks; Bishops really become a powerhouse.

From Maplewiki:

Magician: Mana Reflection
Type: Active
Description: By changing the flow of mana, magical damage is reflected back to the enemies. However, the repelled max damage will not exceed more than 200% of the monster's Maximum HP.
Max Level 30: 45 MP, 250 seconds duration, 60% success rate, 200% effect
Comment: Treat it as another elemental resistance except it works more like power guard that repels damage as well. There seemed to have an update that made it so that you don't receive damage at all when Mana Reflection kicks in.

oh, forgot Maple Hero... lmao

I made Maple Hero second because of Mana Reflection. Defense is the #1 thing about STR mages. It does add to all stats, making the needed accuracy realized... but no one here has really played the 4th job yet, right? Maplewiki doesn't have the prereq. or anything, so I couldn't get as detailed as I was with the others.

Oh, I forgot... (im editing this one like crazy) Mana Reflection, I think, only works against magic type attacks...

Edited by scan-9, 05 December 2007 - 05:32 PM.

#10 IndoX

IndoX

Rainbows ~!

• Respected Member
  • 2516 posts
  • IGN:-

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:42 PM

I don't think anyone would make it to bishop status with strength. Since you have no int, and no magic attack you won't be able to heal sufficiently, and do damage - so I'd doubt anyone would party you.

And, of course, there is the issue of training. Strength clerics can't be like beginners where they leech after level 50, they'll never reach level 120 like that mush1j.gif

Interested in my MS character (even though I don't play)? lndoJabijinX

#11 scan-9

scan-9

Master Magician

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(indojabijin @ Dec 5 2007, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think anyone would make it to bishop status with strength. Since you have no int, and no magic attack you won't be able to heal sufficiently, and do damage - so I'd doubt anyone would party you.

And, of course, there is the issue of training. Strength clerics can't be like beginners where they leech after level 50, they'll never reach level 120 like that <_<

Yeah, I guess you are right. But there still has to be something else to do when you get bored with your basic builds. ^_^

#12 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:21 PM

I wouldn't count on mana reflection cutting all damage. No damage at all 60% of the time? Too broken. And it definitely only works against magic attacks.

Look at Hidden Street. Maple Hero/Warrior has no prerequisite, and will definitely make training immensely faster. Why would you worry about defense anyways? You can heal, and I'm sure the monsters you're training on won't 2HKO you or something. Although, I'm not sure how much and INTless cleric can heal themselves...

Posted Image

#13 Cacophobia

Cacophobia

Iron Hog

• Official Member
  • 496 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(indojabijin @ Dec 5 2007, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And, of course, there is the issue of training. Strength clerics can't be like beginners where they leech after level 50, they'll never reach level 120 like that mush1j.gif

I hate to disagree but at level 90+ they can just leech as being an HSer in squid parties and perhaps other situations.

If you go low-dex you can just train at ratz for a long while like low-dex perma beginners do.

#14 scan-9

scan-9

Master Magician

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE(Blade Oracle @ Dec 5 2007, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't count on mana reflection cutting all damage. No damage at all 60% of the time? Too broken. And it definitely only works against magic attacks.

Look at Hidden Street. Maple Hero/Warrior has no prerequisite, and will definitely make training immensely faster. Why would you worry about defense anyways? You can heal, and I'm sure the monsters you're training on won't 2HKO you or something. Although, I'm not sure how much and INTless cleric can heal themselves...

As I said, heal will not do much unless you are alone and recieve all of it, and because you do not add to INT, it progressiveley gets worse. Once you get up to using a black umbrella, or any other weapon with both Att and M.Att, heal will get better. Heal is based off of M.att.

And im just going off of maplewiki for mana reflection.

As for maple hero, I would have that as #1, but since maplewiki does say it will nullify all damage from magic, it'll go first.
If it didnt, maple hero would definitely be on top.

I think of it as this. For training, you want the monsters to deal low amounts of damage to you. I am replacing high damage with high defense. I think it works out, because before my second job adv with my old one, horned mushrooms barely did any damage to me whatsoever. Green mushrooms dealt 1. king slime dealt under 100 on touch. (Did alot with quake tho >.<)

I play it this way. Right now I have a new Kradian Str mage, lv 14. he almost has Magic Armor, and is still going after slimes. Since I will add 3 to magic armor every level, he will greatly benefit from the extra defense (+6 every level), thus enabling him to fight against monsters others normally wouldnt want to, even though he wouldnt do much damage.

Around lv 25, I was capeable of talking while being mobbed by green muchrooms in heneseys hunting ground one. My mother (who casually plays) walks behind me and asks "how are you able to talk in there? I would get my butt kicked (lv 34 sin, lv 43 fire wizard). I say "look at my skills, and look at my defense stats."

Str mages arent really made for power, in my eyes, but made to endure and sustain alot of damage.

Having maxed mp recover, mp max increase, magic guard, magic armor, heal (>.<), invincible, bless (not as much defense as magic armor, but acts almost like a mastery, in addition to buffing party members), elemental resistance, dispel (for those damn curses), mana reflection, hero's will, infinity, and holy shield, they will utilize every defensive skill in this tree.

I'd like to see some screenshots of someone using all of these in battle (except the 4th ones, cuz they havent been released for GMS). I haven't completely finished priest, but because of the way the skills are put around, and the number of attack and defense skills, I was able to figure out the best combination.

#15 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:06 PM

The problem with MS is that it's extremely difficult to play if you don't do decent damage. This isn't because people are going to walk around and laugh at your damage, but rather training will be so slow compared to doing more damage. I know heal's damage and heal rate of party members is based on MAtt, but I didn't know self heal rate. Probably the same...

I dunno. The problem with these "weird" builds is that you have to take into account the speed factor. If you don't train fast enough, then you're going to get bored and quit really soon. A regular cleric/priest is hard to train up themselves, so if you're limiting your damage output just so you can save money on pots, then I'm not sure you're going to last very long. Granted, my argument leads nowhere because it would only apply to the Maple Hero and Mana Reflection part, so meh.

Posted Image

#16 scan-9

scan-9

Master Magician

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE(Blade Oracle @ Dec 6 2007, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem with MS is that it's extremely difficult to play if you don't do decent damage. This isn't because people are going to walk around and laugh at your damage, but rather training will be so slow compared to doing more damage. I know heal's damage and heal rate of party members is based on MAtt, but I didn't know self heal rate. Probably the same...

I dunno. The problem with these "weird" builds is that you have to take into account the speed factor. If you don't train fast enough, then you're going to get bored and quit really soon. A regular cleric/priest is hard to train up themselves, so if you're limiting your damage output just so you can save money on pots, then I'm not sure you're going to last very long. Granted, my argument leads nowhere because it would only apply to the Maple Hero and Mana Reflection part, so meh.

yeah, lol, you are right. but thats why they make odd builds in the first place. not to really be good, but to just fool around and get attention.

and the self heal rate is still based off of M.Att... I saw a vid on Youtube depicting a character with no weapon, healing, then adding a maple lama staff and healing, and healing with the weapon was better. Or somewhere along those lines. i think you should try sometime. With your clerics, remove their weapon, get beat up some, and heal. Do the subtraction, etc, and see how much you heal. Then put your weapon back on, get beat up some more, and heal again. I promise 100% of the time you will heal more with the weapon on.

And I know the damage sux still. They are... 14 STR under a perma beginner... unless your perma beginner has 4 LUK, then it is 16 STR under.

I understand the meaning of both skills. Mana reflection negates magic damage and repels it against the enemy. Maple Hero would allow you to deal more damage with a regular attack.

you know, i think it depends on where u train. If you train in a place full of spell-casting monsters, mana reflection would be the better choice. If you run around a bunch of touch/normal attack monsters, then having Hero would be better, since mana reflection only negates Magic attacks.

#17 Artiste

Artiste

Rawr.

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 741 posts
  • IGN:Eroding/Shaded(kMS Culverin)

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:17 PM

Wow, really nice guide. It's really informative. D'you mind if I link to this in my guide? I'm useless on the subject of STR Mages. I'd really appreciate it. PM me with your answer.

Edited by Artiste, 07 December 2007 - 04:18 PM.

2 How long, O LORD, must I call for help, but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, "Violence!" but you do not save? 3 Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrong? Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds. 4 Therefore the law is paralyzed, and justice never prevails. The wicked hem in the righteous, so that justice is perverted. (5 is the Lord replying to Habakkuk)5 "Look at the nations and watch— and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told." Habakkuk 1:2-5

4 "See, he is puffed up; his desires are not upright— but the righteous will live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:4

Still gone.

#18 losahhh

losahhh

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • IGN:bobohoofd

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:35 AM

HEal relies on int so if ou got 20 int you wont get anything healed:O

#19 scan-9

scan-9

Master Magician

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE(losahhh @ Dec 13 2007, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe I had already established that. But not just INT, but M att. If you equip a black umbrella rather than lets say... a tube, you will heal more, because the umbrella has M att whilst the tube probably wouldnt.

#20 Cacophobia

Cacophobia

Iron Hog

• Official Member
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE(losahhh @ Dec 13 2007, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You will have enough to heal yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic