Saucy

Snails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • IGN:Gurrmon

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:36 PM

Howdy,

So my girlfriend decided she loved Maplestory and is asking me to join her. Ive downloaded the game, and registered it; HOWEVER, when i attempt to install the game after it extracts MapleStory.msi and attempts to start the actual installation process i get this very interesting error:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Windows Installer

The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

See this would be all fine and dandy if i was say at work and trying to play it, BUT im at home on my personal computer...i am the system administrator. Infact im on the administrator account right now when attempting to install it.

The only thing i can think of is my OS (Windows XP x64) is the issue. I am assuming that since the game is not designed for a 64 bit OS my OS is catching it and preventing it's install. Is this the case?

And to answer any virus questions:
I performed/used a full virus scan, two spyware killers, a registry cleaner (a reliable one) and disk management, as of yesterday.

If you're wondering my specs should not be an issue.
CPU: Core 2 Duo (2 3Ghz)
Ram: 4 gigs dominator DDR2
Video Card: 2xGeforce 8600GTX
HDDs: 2 140 Gb raptors in Raid0.
...thats the important stuff.

So is it just plain and simply...my OS?

Thank you wacko2.gif .

ACTUALLY I FIXED IT...Heres how:

go to start/run

type: gpedit.msc

Local Computer Policy/ Administrative Template / Windows Components / Windows Installer /

On the option that says DISABLE WINDOWS INSTALLER change from Not configured to DISABLED

Next start your MSSETUP .EXE (THE FILE THAT YOU DOWNLOADED FROM maple website)

This will extract maplestory.msi , while extracting MAPLESTORY.MSI go to run and type %temp%

Now the important thing, you need to look for the maplestory.msi this fix work only with the maplestory.msi (NOT THE EXE)
after finding maplestory.msi you can copy and paste it on your desktop (BEFORE CLICKING OK TO THE ERROR), the file should be 682MB (715,452,416 bytes)

after succesfully copying to desktop (or whatever place you paste it ) close the message window close all the other windows and now double click maplestory.msi

Congratulations, you can now install succesfully Maplestory

People who made this possible: Xirvin, StuffedTurkey

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Tchuwib

Tchuwib

Snails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • IGN:Toubibette

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:16 AM

DUDE!!!! I FREAKING HAD TO MAKE AN ACCOUNT JUST FOR YOU BECAUSE YOUR MY FREAKING HERO. I'VE SPENDED 3 FREAKING DAY TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO INSTALL IT AND YOU GOT IT WITH FINGER IN YOUR NOSE. ALL THOSE OTHER FORUM WHERE JUST ABOUT SHITTY NORTON WONT INSTALL. BUT YOU FOUND THE REAL WAY TO BY PASS THAT SON OF A BALROG XP64....THANK A LOT MAN. YOU CAN'T IMAGINE HOW MUCH I APPRECIATE YOUR ANSWER TO ACTUALLY REGISTER JUST TO THANK YOU

#3 lounmala

lounmala

Snails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • IGN:POOCHIEE

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:49 PM

Anyways, before doing what you said, I downloaded the [MS]SETUP.exe,
waited for about an hour and then I read your directions.
I did the "DISABLE WINDOWS INSTALLER" part, but after that it got too complicated for me.
Especially the "Important thing" I couldn't find maplestory.msi
Gr, my computer sucks. I was able to play like a week or 2 ago, and now this?..
PLEASE RESPOND! YOU'RE PROB, THE ONLY PERSON WHO GAVE ME THE MOST ACCURATE INFO.
I wanna play Maple, I need help. mush1d.gif

#4 Chemi

Chemi

Dark Stone Gollem

• Official Member
  • 675 posts
  • IGN:chemioo

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:13 PM

That's weird, you shouldn't have had to do all that. You just had to go in and change your settings for windows installer. If it didn't let you do it normally, you'd just have to do it through safemode. Sure, this way might work too, but it's a little long winded and I'm not sure everyone could follow it, as the previous post indicates.

We do things we probably shouldn't, things we may regret later, if not already.
But that's life, a buttload of regrettable events with a bit of awesome thrown in.

#5 lounmala

lounmala

Snails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • IGN:POOCHIEE

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE(Chemi @ Dec 15 2008, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's weird, you shouldn't have had to do all that. You just had to go in and change your settings for windows installer. If it didn't let you do it normally, you'd just have to do it through safemode. Sure, this way might work too, but it's a little long winded and I'm not sure everyone could follow it, as the previous post indicates.

Hmm, I see. Not sure what this "safemode" is. mush1k.gif
Could you tell me directions on how I should do it then?

#6 Chemi

Chemi

Dark Stone Gollem

• Official Member
  • 675 posts
  • IGN:chemioo

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:18 PM

It sounds to me like you should just be able to right click on the maple story setup file and choose the security option. Then, give yourself full privileges to do whatever you want. Though you must be on the administrator account for this to work. Chances are if you share your computer with someone else via multiple accounts, you don't have administrator privileges.

Sometimes this doesn't work in normal windows, so pressing F8 when you turn on your computer will boot you into safe mode. Then, you can change security settings to be whatever you want.

We do things we probably shouldn't, things we may regret later, if not already.
But that's life, a buttload of regrettable events with a bit of awesome thrown in.

#7 seth1134

seth1134

Seth1134, King of the nerds.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • IGN:Too many to say

Posted 25 December 2008 - 02:44 AM

OMG worked!!! Thanks!!!

#8 JamesHeals

JamesHeals

Snails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • IGN:JamesHeals

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:17 PM

Hey. I am using a Windows Vista 64 bit and all I did was right click the installer and check the "read only" box. Worked for me? mush1z.gif

#9 skippy1331

skippy1331

Snails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • IGN:skippy1331

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:18 PM

yeah can i ask.... can someone just upload on to like <!- link removed [79] -> or something just the msi i have tried and tried but it wont work....................... thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users