Cacophobia

Iron Hog

• Official Member
  • 496 posts
  • IGN:MrBrandini

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:17 AM

Brandini's Islander Guide

Updates:
v. 1.2 July 19 2009~First update in about 18 months, Maple Island has changed a lot. I have updated every section. Deleted the drops section, and section 5 has been closed temporarily until the next update.
v1.1~January 24th 2008~Pigs and Stumps have been added to maple island along with their respective drops, maps have been changed, and green apples now drop.
v1.0 ~November 5th 2007~Guide made

Contents:
1. Intro
2. Builds
3. Skills
4. Training Locations
5. Monsters
6. Myself
7. Conclusion

In this guide, ctr+f is your friend.

1. Introduction

I was walking around one day in Maple Island creating a little mage as a side project and I ran into this girl with blond hair, a red stripped shirt, red skirt, white shoes and a purse. I wondered how the heck that could be possible. I double clicked on her and she was a level 16 beginner. From that moment on I have been interested in Islanders. This happened sometime in early 2006.

Islanders are permanent beginners who never leave Maple Island. There are various reasons why people make Islanders. Some like the challenge of leveling with weak monsters, others enjoy the simplicity of being an islander, and others just like being attention whores. For whatever reason you wish to explore the world of Islanders, this guide is for you.

2. The Builds
Most people assume there is only one build all Islanders follow which is going Pure Strength, they are wrong.

Strength Islanders:
Strength Islanders are Islanders who add mostly Strength as their main ability point.
  • Advantages: The main and popular advantage of this build is the high damage at lower levels. This makes training until level 15 or so very easy.
  • Disadvantages: The disadvantage obvious to high leveled Strength Islanders is the unstable damage. You will not be able to one hit kill Orange Mushrooms 100% of the time until you are 4x. A lot of people become Hybrids after level 20 or so.

Dex Islanders:
Dexterity Islanders are Islanders that add mostly Dex.
  • Advantage: Dex Islanders have very stable damage. This will give them a better idea where the best place for them to train is. They are also the first build to be able to 1 hit kill every monster on the island. In your mid 20's your leveling speed will be faster than the other islanders and even faster if you have a white rose. Dex Islanders also get high avoidability. They get higher MP than strength islanders.
  • Disadvantage: The disadvantage that makes a lot of people turn away from this build is the slow leveling speed for the first 20 levels.

Hybrid Islanders:
Hybrid Islanders are Islanders who add a combination of Strength and Dexterity into their stats.
  • Advantages: These Islanders have the best of both worlds. They have relatively high maximum damage and high minimal damage.
  • Disadvantages: The problem with this build is that you will never have a time where you will train really fast or really slow. Your training speed will be a bit dull.

Magelanders:
Magelanders are Islanders that add 55 int and 20 luck so they will be able to equip a Metal Wand. Then they follow one of the builds mentioned above or they add Pure MP so they can use the skills Three Snails more often. People pick this class because they think a beginner with a wand is very erotic. Their most important skill is Three Snails, they usually max the skill for the most damage. They feel like pro mages when they using that skill with their wand.

Green Apples now drop on Maple Island, making it easier for Magelanders.

• Advantages: They get to use a sexy Metal wand and show off to the nubbies on Maple Island. Green
  • Disadvantage: Extremely slow leveling speed forever, but who cares when you have a wand to show off?

Luck Islanders
Luck Islanders are people who add luck purely or mostly luck. The advantage of luck on Maple Island is the avoidability. Most Islanders who even decide to add luck add it after they reach their goal with one of the other builds mentioned above.
  • Advantage: Very high avoidability. Now you don't have to worry about the pesky 1 damage from snails if you ever have to go afk in the middle of a field and can't find a rope or safe platform.
  • Disadvantage: No damage basically, unless you decide to be a luck hybrid. I don't see the point of considering luck since dex adds avoidability and damage. Good luck if you choose this build...

3. Skills

People usually forget about the skillls beginners get. These skills have certain uses on the island.

Three Snails:
Description: Hurls snail shells to attack monsters from long distance.
Level 1: Snail Shell -1, MP -10; Damage 10
Level 2: Blue Snail Shell -1, MP -15; Damage 25
Level 3: Red Snail Shell -1, MP -20; Damage 40

My Comment: This skill is used by magelanders as their main attacking option so they usually put their skill points in this skill as soon as possible. The great thing about this skill is that it also helps other Islanders, lets say there is only one Orange Mushroom left in the bottom of the map Dangerous Forest, instead of following it you can just throw a shell at it and it will come your way. This makes training more fun and easier.

Recovery:
Description: Enables the user to recover HP constantly for 30 sec. Terms between skills: 10 min.
Level 1: MP -3; Recover HP 24 in 30 sec
Level 2: MP -5; Recover HP 48 in 30 sec
Level 3: MP -7; Recover HP 72 in 30 sec

My Comment: This skill is probably the least useful. Eventually you will have high hp and enough defense to only get 1 damage per snail. Red pots also drop very often. I wouldn't waste my SP on this skill.

Nimble Feet:
Description: Enables the character to move around quickly for a short amount of time. Terms between skills: 15 min.
Level 1: MP -10; Speed +10 for 4 sec
Level 2: MP -15; Speed +15 for 8 sec
Level 3: MP -20; Speed +20 for 12 sec

My Comment: This is a very fun skill, and useful when you want to clear the bottom of a map or large platform.

4. Training Locations

Considering there are different builds, different weapons, and different weapon defense per individual there is no exact way to tell people of a certain level range to train at a place. The following are three of the best maps and I recommend you all try it and compare your leveling speed individually and determine where you should train. As you level and become more powerful the map where you would train the best might change.

The Field West of Southperry

This map is a great mix of mosnters and a good spawn. You will rarely have to worry about being 2 seconds away from the next monster to kill. Magelanders and Dex Islanders will train here for a long time probably. Its also a good place to get the Island's favorite local weapon, The Purse, since this map is the best place to hunt for red snails.

Dangerous Forest

This map might be a little tricky to navigate, there are multiple ways you can go around this map. Try circling the map the way you feel the most comfortable. This map offers good experience if you know how to navigate it correctly and if you can 1 or 2 hit orange mushrooms most of the time. Here you will get your lovely double axes, white shoes, and shoe scrolls.

In a Small Forest

You can get the most experience in this map, especially if you can kill Orange Mushrooms in one hit or two.

The direction in which you cycle this map does not matter, but what matters is how you clear the bottom. Some people sweep it once, others go through it twice. Experiment and see which way you prefer.

5. Monsters
Under Re-Construction

6. Myself

I am Brandini, I have an Islander in Khaini named MrBrandini. He is a Dex Islander. For the first 24 levels I trained at split road, then once I got a White Rose I trained at Dangerous Forest, I trained there until the release of In a Small Forest. The following are links of him in different levels.

Level 30
Level 35
Level 38
Level 46
My goal is to have a minimum damage of 100 one day.
My goal is to hit level 50 one day.

7. Conclusion

I hope this guide inspires you to make an Islander or at least educate you on who islanders are.

I would like to thank the Islander community for inspiring me in making this guide. A special thanks to the islander guild AmherstMafia in Khaini.

Edited by Cacophobia, 20 July 2009 - 09:38 AM.

MrBrandini-Khaini-Level 43-Dex Islander

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 BrokenFlight

BrokenFlight

Octopus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • IGN:McCleric

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:25 AM

Looks like a nice guide, I made an islander on eMS and got him to lvl 18. I've stopped playing him though, If i ever start again I'll use this mush1n.gif
Life is the longest thing you'll ever do, live it to the fullest

#3 Cacophobia

Cacophobia

Iron Hog

• Official Member
  • 496 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(BrokenFlight @ Nov 5 2007, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like a nice guide, I made an islander on eMS and got him to lvl 18. I've stopped playing him though, If i ever start again I'll use this mush1n.gif

Thats great to know. mush1z.gif

#4 TZD

TZD

i hav 1338 sader noobs

• Official Member
  • 1367 posts
  • IGN:N

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:59 AM

Although I already posted a guide some two weeks ago (which I will be working on sometime soon, I hope), I guess it wouldn't hurt to help you a little on some facts. mush1n.gif
Disadvantages: The disadvantage obvious to high leveled Strength Islanders is the unstable damage. You will not be able to one hit kill Orange Mushrooms 100% of the time until you are 4x. A lot of people become Hybrids after level 20 or so. They get lower MP than dex Islanders.

Not even in your level 4x, though it depends on what weapon you are using. WhatShip (that hacker person) used a blue rose. However, I suspect he's pure STR, as his minimum damage (he had told me) is 5x, somewhere as much as my minimum damage itself (56). His maximum is 9xx though, which is pretty crazy despite that he is a hacker.
Anyways, yeah, it's a great guide, you did some nice work on it. It actually covered some of the stuff I wanted to add to my own guide, though of course I still have more to talk about.

Edited by TZD, 05 November 2007 - 12:00 PM.

#5 Cacophobia

Cacophobia

Iron Hog

• Official Member
  • 496 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:33 PM

Thanks TZD.

In theory a 4x pure strength beginner can 1 hit orange mushrooms, that is why I mentioned 4x, even though most will do so at 5x.

#6 Matthias Hinkell

Matthias Hinkell

A Depressed Villian ._.

• MD Members
  • 5072 posts
  • IGN:GeneYuss

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:09 PM

Nice guide! I've always wondered which monster dropped Clamdigger pants =O

Too bad I've already retired my islanders... =|

Characters I still play
WINDIA
GeneYuss - level 124 DK | MattHinkell - level 108 ranger | DoogaI - level 100 hermit | Meteor88 - level 99 sniper HPEcheIon - level 63 HP spearman
SCANIA
iWilfre - level 70 spearman

#7 Cacophobia

Cacophobia

Iron Hog

• Official Member
  • 496 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE(Meteor Summoner @ Nov 5 2007, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice guide! I've always wondered which monster dropped Clamdigger pants =O

Too bad I've already retired my islanders... =|

I hope you unretire them one day, maybe once the drama in the islander community lessens.

#8 miNubman

miNubman

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • IGN:Byebye

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:15 AM

lolololol khaini wil never be calm after that little incident that has happened...

the calmest place right now is bera because everyone retired

p.s one of the worst place to start an islander nowadays because everyone quit. u can always try to bring it back up but u wont get the old beginners back up on their feet. i managed to get back up mush1k.gif

#9 Cacophobia

Cacophobia

Iron Hog

• Official Member
  • 496 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:32 AM

As far I know Bera and Windia are the two most inactive Islander servers.

The most active is Khaini but we have a lot of drama. Mardia is doing ok...

#10 Bws2cool

Bws2cool

Stirge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • IGN:LuklessBlake

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:15 AM

YOU STOLE MEEPLE's Item guide mush1d.gif
At least give her credit.

Nice guide anyway.
Posted Image

#11 Cacophobia

Cacophobia

Iron Hog

• Official Member
  • 496 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE(Bws2cool @ Nov 6 2007, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice guide anyway.

I didn't steal anything, I just used the same format. I gave credit to hidden-street because thats where I got my pictures.

#12 icygangsta

icygangsta

You want some jiggy time ?

• Official Member
  • 516 posts
  • IGN:PM me for it

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:55 AM

Excellent guide , which i hope will help many to come Thumbs up from me mush1a.gif

#13 Cacophobia

Cacophobia

Iron Hog

• Official Member
  • 496 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:57 AM

Thanks! I always enjoy to read encouraging feedback.

This guide will be updated in the near future, I plan to add a section about KMS and future possibilities.

#14 icygangsta

icygangsta

• Official Member
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:01 AM

I hope you do , and good job with MrBrandini.

#15 Cacophobia

Cacophobia

Iron Hog

• Official Member
  • 496 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:02 AM

Thanks.

If you or anyone else ever want to make an Islander in Khaini let me know. I always enjoy having people from MT in my guild.

#16 icygangsta

icygangsta

• Official Member
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:16 AM

I live in UK , ems FTW.
=O

#17 Cacophobia

Cacophobia

Iron Hog

• Official Member
  • 496 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:32 PM

There are a couple of islanders in ems that I know of, I am not sure how active they are though.

#18 scan-9

scan-9

Master Magician

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • IGN:JbBrigand/JbWoodsman/JbPaladin

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:21 PM

Niice...
Kinda makes me want to make one, but then it'd take time off of my STR mage >.<

#19 Cacophobia

Cacophobia

Iron Hog

• Official Member
  • 496 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE(scan-9 @ Dec 6 2007, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Niice...
Kinda makes me want to make one, but then it'd take time off of my STR mage >.<

I have both a str mage and an Islander. Both have their good and bad parts.

#20 BlackShade

BlackShade

Mushmom

• Official Member
  • 724 posts
  • IGN:EbuIIient

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE(Cacophobia @ Nov 6 2007, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Bws2cool @ Nov 6 2007, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice guide anyway.

I didn't steal anything, I just used the same format. I gave credit to hidden-street because thats where I got my pictures.

It's the same. At least credit her for inspiring the design. mush1d.gif

Some people are like slinkies, they aren't really useful for anything, but they always bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users