v. 1.2 July 19 2009~First update in about 18 months, Maple Island has changed a lot. I have updated every section. Deleted the drops section, and section 5 has been closed temporarily until the next update.
v1.1~January 24th 2008~Pigs and Stumps have been added to maple island along with their respective drops, maps have been changed, and green apples now drop.
v1.0 ~November 5th 2007~Guide made
4. Training Locations
In this guide, ctr+f is your friend.
I was walking around one day in Maple Island creating a little mage as a side project and I ran into this girl with blond hair, a red stripped shirt, red skirt, white shoes and a purse. I wondered how the heck that could be possible. I double clicked on her and she was a level 16 beginner. From that moment on I have been interested in Islanders. This happened sometime in early 2006.
Islanders are permanent beginners who never leave Maple Island. There are various reasons why people make Islanders. Some like the challenge of leveling with weak monsters, others enjoy the simplicity of being an islander, and others just like being attention whores. For whatever reason you wish to explore the world of Islanders, this guide is for you.
2. The Builds
Most people assume there is only one build all Islanders follow which is going Pure Strength, they are wrong.
Strength Islanders are Islanders who add mostly Strength as their main ability point.
- Advantages: The main and popular advantage of this build is the high damage at lower levels. This makes training until level 15 or so very easy.
- Disadvantages: The disadvantage obvious to high leveled Strength Islanders is the unstable damage. You will not be able to one hit kill Orange Mushrooms 100% of the time until you are 4x. A lot of people become Hybrids after level 20 or so.
Dexterity Islanders are Islanders that add mostly Dex.
- Advantage: Dex Islanders have very stable damage. This will give them a better idea where the best place for them to train is. They are also the first build to be able to 1 hit kill every monster on the island. In your mid 20's your leveling speed will be faster than the other islanders and even faster if you have a white rose. Dex Islanders also get high avoidability. They get higher MP than strength islanders.
- Disadvantage: The disadvantage that makes a lot of people turn away from this build is the slow leveling speed for the first 20 levels.
Hybrid Islanders are Islanders who add a combination of Strength and Dexterity into their stats.
- Advantages: These Islanders have the best of both worlds. They have relatively high maximum damage and high minimal damage.
- Disadvantages: The problem with this build is that you will never have a time where you will train really fast or really slow. Your training speed will be a bit dull.
Magelanders are Islanders that add 55 int and 20 luck so they will be able to equip a Metal Wand. Then they follow one of the builds mentioned above or they add Pure MP so they can use the skills Three Snails more often. People pick this class because they think a beginner with a wand is very erotic. Their most important skill is Three Snails, they usually max the skill for the most damage. They feel like pro mages when they using that skill with their wand.
Green Apples now drop on Maple Island, making it easier for Magelanders.
- Advantages: They get to use a sexy Metal wand and show off to the nubbies on Maple Island. Green
- Disadvantage: Extremely slow leveling speed forever, but who cares when you have a wand to show off?
Luck Islanders are people who add luck purely or mostly luck. The advantage of luck on Maple Island is the avoidability. Most Islanders who even decide to add luck add it after they reach their goal with one of the other builds mentioned above.
- Advantage: Very high avoidability. Now you don't have to worry about the pesky 1 damage from snails if you ever have to go afk in the middle of a field and can't find a rope or safe platform.
- Disadvantage: No damage basically, unless you decide to be a luck hybrid. I don't see the point of considering luck since dex adds avoidability and damage. Good luck if you choose this build...
People usually forget about the skillls beginners get. These skills have certain uses on the island.
Description: Hurls snail shells to attack monsters from long distance.
Level 1: Snail Shell -1, MP -10; Damage 10
Level 2: Blue Snail Shell -1, MP -15; Damage 25
Level 3: Red Snail Shell -1, MP -20; Damage 40
My Comment: This skill is used by magelanders as their main attacking option so they usually put their skill points in this skill as soon as possible. The great thing about this skill is that it also helps other Islanders, lets say there is only one Orange Mushroom left in the bottom of the map Dangerous Forest, instead of following it you can just throw a shell at it and it will come your way. This makes training more fun and easier.
Description: Enables the user to recover HP constantly for 30 sec. Terms between skills: 10 min.
Level 1: MP -3; Recover HP 24 in 30 sec
Level 2: MP -5; Recover HP 48 in 30 sec
Level 3: MP -7; Recover HP 72 in 30 sec
My Comment: This skill is probably the least useful. Eventually you will have high hp and enough defense to only get 1 damage per snail. Red pots also drop very often. I wouldn't waste my SP on this skill.
Description: Enables the character to move around quickly for a short amount of time. Terms between skills: 15 min.
Level 1: MP -10; Speed +10 for 4 sec
Level 2: MP -15; Speed +15 for 8 sec
Level 3: MP -20; Speed +20 for 12 sec
My Comment: This is a very fun skill, and useful when you want to clear the bottom of a map or large platform.
4. Training Locations
Considering there are different builds, different weapons, and different weapon defense per individual there is no exact way to tell people of a certain level range to train at a place. The following are three of the best maps and I recommend you all try it and compare your leveling speed individually and determine where you should train. As you level and become more powerful the map where you would train the best might change.
The Field West of Southperry
This map is a great mix of mosnters and a good spawn. You will rarely have to worry about being 2 seconds away from the next monster to kill. Magelanders and Dex Islanders will train here for a long time probably. Its also a good place to get the Island's favorite local weapon, The Purse, since this map is the best place to hunt for red snails.
This map might be a little tricky to navigate, there are multiple ways you can go around this map. Try circling the map the way you feel the most comfortable. This map offers good experience if you know how to navigate it correctly and if you can 1 or 2 hit orange mushrooms most of the time. Here you will get your lovely double axes, white shoes, and shoe scrolls.
In a Small Forest
You can get the most experience in this map, especially if you can kill Orange Mushrooms in one hit or two.
The direction in which you cycle this map does not matter, but what matters is how you clear the bottom. Some people sweep it once, others go through it twice. Experiment and see which way you prefer.
I am Brandini, I have an Islander in Khaini named MrBrandini. He is a Dex Islander. For the first 24 levels I trained at split road, then once I got a White Rose I trained at Dangerous Forest, I trained there until the release of In a Small Forest. The following are links of him in different levels.
My goal is to hit level 50 one day.
I hope this guide inspires you to make an Islander or at least educate you on who islanders are.
I would like to thank the Islander community for inspiring me in making this guide. A special thanks to the islander guild AmherstMafia in Khaini.
Edited by Cacophobia, 20 July 2009 - 09:38 AM.