Low Dex, Low Funds.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gintama

Gintama

Nice to meet you

• Respected Member
  • 1859 posts
  • Location:Climbing in your windows, snatching your people up.
  • IGN:Gintamaki

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

Low Dex, Low Funds.
A guide for the Thrifty Thief. [Assassin version]

The Assassin:
Assassins, as their name may imply, boast both power and quickness in their attacks and in their movements. They possess a high amount of avoid and can disappear into the shadows when needed too. They can throw steel shurikens at great length and with deadly precision.

Out of all the classes in MapleStory Assassins benefit the most from your wallet; the more mesos you can put behind an Assassin the more powerful you will be. Their weapons cost a lot, their scrolls cost a lot, your throwing stars (at least the powerful ones) cost a lot. It's a very difficult class to start off in and still be competitive with Maplers who've got the cash, however you can still give yourself a head start with a little investment.

Low-DEX FAQ:

Low Dex?
You've probably heard the term "low dex" before if you've ever spent even a little time in MapleStory. So what exactly is it? "Low dex" refers to an Assassin who uses equipment that boosts his or her DEX points instead of using Ability Points to gain DEX.

What's the benefit of Low-Dex?
DEX is cheaper than LUK and you can get more DEX from your equipment then you can LUK, because more equips are scrollable with DEX then LUK. In simpler terms, DEX is easier to get than LUK is, so Sins use this to their advantage.

Equipment Scrollable with DEX:
  • Helm: Yes
  • Earrings: Yes
  • Overall: Yes
  • Shoes: Yes
  • Gloves: Yes
  • Cape: Yes
  • Topwear: No
  • Bottomwear: No

Equipment Scrollable with LUK:
  • Helm: No
  • Earrings: No
  • Overall: Yes
  • Shoes: No
  • Gloves: No
  • Cape: Yes
  • Topwear: Yes
  • Bottomwear: Yes

Why do all Low-DEX Sins look the same?
You've probably seen a Low-DEX sin before; they're wearing those multi-colored Bamboo hats, Sauna Robes, and they have those black Snowshoes and Work Gloves. Why do low-dex Sins wear these? Because those equips do not require any stats to wear besides Level-requirements. That means you don't have to add any DEX or other stats to wear them, so they're perfect if you want to keep your DEX low and your LUK high.

When would I cap my DEX?
You stop adding DEX once you have the equipment you want. If you're low DEX this will depend on what equipment you can afford.

How to create a Low-dex sin and how to get these equipment is explained in the guide below. If you think you may be interested then take a read.

-----------------
SECTION 1:
-----------------

Creating a Low-dex Assassin:
There's actually no difference between a normal Sin and a low-dex sin to begin with. You still need at least 25 DEX to make the Job Advance as a thief, so create a new character and roll your stats like this using the dice:

STR: Low as possible (4)
DEX: High as possible
INT: Low as possible (4)
LUK: High as possible

As noted, the lowest roll you can get for STR and INT is 4. This can take awhile to achieve, but use as much patience as you can. After you're done here you'll be dropped off on Maple Island and hopefully you know the drill. If you don't ask the NPC for a tutorial.

When you're on Maple Island you'll need to get to level 10. As you level add your AP like this:

1) Get your DEX to 25.
2) Once your DEX is at 25 put everything into LUK.

Once you're level 10 head to Victoria Island via Southperry, and then you'll want to go to Kerning City and talk to Dark Lord to get your job as the Thief. This guide isn't really a beginners Assassin guide, but there's plenty of good ones here at MapleTip so take a look at them if you don't know how to add points into your Skillbook from here, or if you're confused on which Throwing Stars you should buy and what Claws etc.,. HOWEVER...

...Do not add anymore of your AP into DEX! This is where you start to differ from the regular assassin. Before you go any further you'll need to figure out how much DEX you can get from your equipment at level 30. If you don't know I have a pre-set plan you can follow to get you on your way.

Pat's preset Super Awesome Chocolate Coated Low-Dex Plan: [Base DEX by level 30: 45 DEX]

Equipment Checklist: (These are equipment you'll have to acquire for this build)
HATS:

Green Bamboo Hat [Helm]: [+3DEX]
Required Stats: 30 DEX, level 25.

- You can obtain the Green Bamboo Hat by completing the Kerning Party Quest. I have seen Green Bamboo Hats go for as little as 30,000 in some places, so don't spend too much.

------Second Option: Brown Bamboo Hat;
This ones a little easier to get but it adds LUK not DEX. You can either get it from Kerning PQ, like the green one, or complete the quest Maya's Sickness and receive it as a reward.

OVERALL:

Blue Sauna Robe [Overall]: [+10DEX]
Required Stats: Level 30

- While buying a Blue Sauna robe is not cheap, you can acquire one by completing the quest Mr. Wetbottoms Secret Book(lvl30). Once you have the Blue Sauna Robe you can purchase 100% Overall DEX scrolls from the scroll-seller Tulcus for 35k mesos each. (Find him in 'Warning Street: The Swamp of Despair II', which is the path between Kerning City and the Dungeon). A 10 DEX Robe will cost 350k in total. However, 10 DEX is a lot of DEX, and 350k is really cheap compared to how much 10 LUK would cost you.

GLOVES:

-Work Gloves [Gloves]:
Required Stats: Level 10
You can make Work Gloves with 15 leather and 2000 mesos from JM From Tha Streetz in Kerning City. However, if you can't afford Scrolls for Glove for Attack (Quite expensive) you can synthesize the glove below.

------Second Option: Dark Mischief [Glove]: [+2 DEX]
Required Stats: Level 20, 40 DEX

- If you don't have a Attack Glove, I'd recommend synthesizing this glove. You need a Bronze Mischief first, which is obtainable by completing Nella & Kerning City Citizen’s Request [1] (Level 15 Quest) {3rd Request}. Once that is done you can synthesize a Dark Mischief from JM From Tha Streetz with 1 Opal and 7k mesos. However, a Work Glove scrolled with Attack is much better.

SHOES:

Black Snowshoes
Required: Level 30

Snowshoes have to be scrolled with Shoes for Jump (70% and lower) to add any additional DEX. These scrolls unless obtained from a quest are on the expensive side, but the shoes only cost 28k in El Nath and don't require anything besides level to wear them. If you want to work on your shoes over time you can purchase these to scroll.

-----Second Option: Gold Chain Boots: [+2 DEX]
Required: Level 30, 60 DEX.

Gold Chain Boots add +2 DEX right from the get-go, and won't be quite as expensive as Black Snowshoes. Snowshoes are better for thieves with more money or DEX-less's. Since you're low dex you can afford to be a little more thrifty. They're synthesized by Chrishrama of Sleepywood and Tara of Ludibrium Village, with 2 Golds, 50 Leathers, 15 Screws, and 21,000 mesos.

CAPES:

Raggedy Cape: [+10 Avoid]
Required: Level 25

This cape won't add you any DEX right away, but if you can find Cape for DEX scrolls (100% Cape DEX is dropped by Slimes and usually is on the cheaper side). There's 5 slots so if you can afford it your cape is a great way to get DEX before level 30.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary:
At the least you should be able to get +15 DEX. If you can't get +15 DEX by level 30 I would think about getting some more funding. If you can afford more expensive scrolls like Shoes for Jump, Cape for DEX, or even Earring for DEX, you can go even lower than 45 Base DEX. Just remember, to equip your level 30 claw you'll need 60 DEX total.

After Level 30- When do I cap my DEX?
That will completely depend on what equips you can afford and which claws and equipment you'll want to use.

Equipment by DEX Required:
Level 30: 60 DEX
Level 35: 70 DEX
Level 40: 80 DEX
Level 50: 90 DEX
Level 60: 100 DEX
Level 70: 110 DEX

You should try and figure out what equips you can buy to add more DEX, like making improvements to your Cape, Shoes, Overall, etc.

Comments appreciated. Especially since I'm not extremely learned in Thieves. Thanks. mush1z.gif

Edited by PoserMobile, 30 January 2008 - 09:19 PM.

Those fools are foolish enough to think he is me, but secretly unbeknownst to them, I am actually me!

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 1338Joe

1338Joe

In memory of MTDScania's Vlad. We miss you! <3

• Respected Member
  • 1908 posts
  • IGN:myAvGJoe

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:27 PM

Looking good so far! thumbsup.gif

I'm excited to see how this guide turns out. Good luck!
I miss old sMTD.

#3 Septher

Septher

HAY JOE

• Respected Member
  • 1521 posts
  • IGN:Septher

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:53 PM

Holy mofo stop making guides.
Looks great so far; somewhat ironic to have a low dex guide for people with low funds.

#4 Artiste

Artiste

Rawr.

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 741 posts
  • IGN:Eroding/Shaded(kMS Culverin)

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:28 PM

I could've sworn I posted here....

Eh, great guide! Update it a bit more, and it'll be awesome. And I need all the help I can get.

2 How long, O LORD, must I call for help, but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, "Violence!" but you do not save? 3 Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrong? Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds. 4 Therefore the law is paralyzed, and justice never prevails. The wicked hem in the righteous, so that justice is perverted. (5 is the Lord replying to Habakkuk)5 "Look at the nations and watch— and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told." Habakkuk 1:2-5

4 "See, he is puffed up; his desires are not upright— but the righteous will live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:4

Still gone.

#5 ShadowShuriken

ShadowShuriken

Pepe

• Official Member
  • 766 posts
  • IGN:somethingg.

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:24 PM

By the way, Pat, there are 100% Bottomwear Dexs in the market now.
Pretty inactive, and my level digits aren't really changing, sooo. Yah. :D
x__x

#6 Adam~

Adam~

Dip me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians.

• MapleTip Contributor
  • 1276 posts
  • IGN:Fallenkid

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:28 PM

Hmm, looking good so far. If I ever decide to come back to Maple, I'll be making a low-dex assassin and following your guide.

Keep it up mush1n.gif

Posted Image
errybody is invited. just ask.

#7 Tony130

Tony130

Failblog Fan

• Official Member
  • 866 posts
  • IGN:Quit

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:21 AM

Awesome guide mush1z.gif .

Btw shouldn't a low-dex sin always have more than 25 base DEX?

Edited by Tony130, 07 November 2007 - 04:50 PM.

My first guide is complete!
http://forums.maplet...howtopic=136184

#8 madcow1005

madcow1005

Snails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • IGN:DaggerCowz

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

Nice Guide, add some more info about the stat adding part and when to start and stop. TY

Great Guide! mushchick.gif mushchick.gif mushchick.gif mush1k.gif mush1n.gif mush1q.gif mush1z.gif wacko2.gif mush1o.gif mush1g.gif

#9 icygangsta

icygangsta

You want some jiggy time ?

• Official Member
  • 516 posts
  • IGN:PM me for it

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:38 AM

Man , That helpmed me ALOT.

I've got a clreic for funding and soon Im gonna make my Low-Dex..

Your guide IS AWESOME

Finish it off !

My thumbs up

#10 spongythingz

spongythingz

Jr. Necki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • IGN:celticwiz

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:58 AM

Wow it looks great so far, If i were to make a suggestion, could you make a section for equipment relative to the amount of money available
For example
~ less than 500,000 mesos~
Don't even think about making a low dex sin

~ 500,000 - 1,000,000 Mesos ~
I know making money isn't easy but it will be difficult to make a low dex sin
- a 10 dex sauna is a must
- try to get a 2 -3 attack work glove
- a green bamboo hat is a must also

~ 1,000,000 - 3,000,000 Mesos ~
Now we're talking,
- you should keep your 10 dex sauna
- a 3 - 4 att work glove is for you
- try to get a dex cape
- keep your green bamboo hat

~ 3,000,000 - 7,000,000 Mesos ~
Where on earth did you get all that money?
- try a 11 - 13 dex sauna
- get a 3 dex cape
- get a 5 att work glove

... and so on

Also could you remind everyone of the fact that Shoe dex scrolls DO NOT give dex

Im not going to answer how many times i scrolled my snow shoe for dex with shoe dex scrolls but i can assure you it is quite a lot.

A very good guide as it is

My Internet Rapes

Bera
Main : spongysin Level 36 37 38 39 40
Money Slave : celticwiz Level 46 47 48 49 50

#11 icygangsta

icygangsta

You want some jiggy time ?

• Official Member
  • 516 posts
  • IGN:PM me for it

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:32 PM

Okie thanks for the base dex plan till 30 , now i can atleast lv to 30

THANKS !

#12 IceDogg

IceDogg

Ribbon Pig

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

umm i have a pickpocket pilfer is it alright if I dun use da green b hat? the pifler looks hella cool

#13 Khaos

Khaos

MapleStory Freak

• Official Member
  • 2094 posts
  • IGN:Werfen

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE(IceDogg @ Feb 8 2008, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
umm i have a pickpocket pilfer is it alright if I dun use da green b hat? the pifler looks hella cool

Because everyone knows that the pilfer can be worn by a low dex without raising the base dex...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users