2. Skill Builds

8. Weapon Type Choice
9. Hybrid?
10. Training
11. Motivational Material
12. Legal Crap
13. Parting Words

0. Version History
  • 0.04 - 9/15/07: First numbered version, guide completed up to Page skill descriptions.
  • 0.05 - 9/16/07: Finished White Knight skill descriptions.
  • 0.06 - 9/16/07: Completed up to Paladin information.
  • 0.07 - 9/18/07: Started Hybrid sections.
  • 0.08 - 9/21/07: Halfway through training guide.
  • 1.00 - 9/27/07: Completed. First release.
  • 1.01 - 12/02/07: Fixed errors, clarified several vague areas, added new lower-level training spots. Changed 4th job skill names to match MSEA's.
  • 1.02 - 4/29/08: Updated skill builds, Paladin information, and training spots to reflect recent developments in gMS.
  • 1.03 - 11/08/08: Final check. Recent updates to gMS skills reflected in guide. I foresee no updates in the near future since things have been pretty stable for the Page class over the last few months.

1. Introduction

My motivation behind writing a guide for the Page class stemmed from the lack of informational material on the subject, which results in lots of misconceptions surrounding the class. Throughout my ~2 years of playing, I have only seen one complete general guide, namely MachineMade/Marselino's April '06 Page and White Knight guide on sw.net and gamefaqs.com. The game has changed drastically since then, rendering a lot of his opinions outdated.

Maple is a very unforgiving game when it comes to mistakes (I have one point in BW lightning charge even though I wield a sword and can't be bothered to shell out the NX to take it out). Hence, it is best to be knowledgable before making any crucial decisions. I hope this document could be an up-to-date resource concerning the Page class.

This is the first time ever I have written a guide for a game but I will try to present all material in an objective manner. I do not intend to discourage nor encourage people to choose this class. Feel free to object against any factual errors/questionable arguments I may bring forth.

2. Class Comparison

A Page is a knight in training. They control their weapons better than Swordsman do and thus do much higher minimum damage. Weapon Booster and Final Attack increases their damage output while Power Guard and Threaten give them defensive capabilities. White Knights are elemental warriors that attack with the power of fire, ice, or lightning. Knights can stun (at the cost of losing your active charge) or freeze mobs of monsters to prevent them from advancing, to top off a nice defensive class. Paladins take this further by being able to spam uninterruptible stun on up to six monsters, meaning you will almost always make profit wherever you train. Combined with the high HP warriors get, the Page lineage has no trouble surviving blows from even the toughest bosses in the game (how well they perform is an entirely different story, however).

How does the Page line compare to the other 2 warrior classes? Here is how the 3 warrior classes differ from each other:
  • Upon the 2nd job advancement, Pages and Spearmen receive an MP bonus, while Fighters receive a HP bonus.
  • Fighters and Pages get Power Guard, a 40% reduction of all touch damage, in 2nd job while the Spearman receives Iron Will.
  • Spearmen get Hyper Body, a great party skill, Fighters get Rage, a skill eclipsed by warrior elixirs but still useful, and Pages get Threaten, which reduces monsters' defense and attack.
  • Fighters use swords and axes, Pages use swords and blunt weapons (maces), Spearmen use spears and polearms.
  • In third job Dragon Knights use Crusher or Fury which are both great mobbing moves, while Crusaders and White Knights use Power Strike and Slash Blast. Crusaders do get finishing moves Coma and Panic, however, and White Knights get the mob stun move Charged Blow.
  • Fourth job really sets the warriors apart. Dark Knights double their damage when under 45% HP, Heroes get a new attacking skill Brandish (basically a faster and better ranged Crusher) and 5 more orbs to their Combo, while Paladins get the ability to spam Charge Blow and the strongest spammable single attack in the game (Blast) with the added versatility of the Holy element.

To bring it all together, let's look at the advantages and disadvantages of being a Page/White Knight:

Advantages:
  • Pages have more MP than Fighters
  • Pages have Power Guard, one of the best defensive skills in the game.
  • Warrior Elixirs (12 attack pots) make Pages equal in power with Fighters while being able to use Threaten.
  • Swords and maces attack faster in general than spears and polearms.
  • White Knights mostly attack by single powerful attacks which make them the class that is able to knock-back single monsters the best (Polearm Dragon Knights would do better in knock-backing mobs). Paladins continue this trend with Blast, the strongest spammable single number hit in the game.
  • Charged Blow is a skill that does perfect stun on 6 monsters, which means that once the monster(s) is/are stunned they will not be unstunned when attacked. Stun from a Crusader's Coma/Shout and a Chief Bandit's Assaulter, for example, would get canceled once the monster is physically attacked.
  • White Knights can freeze monsters, only melee class to be able to do so.
  • Like warriors in general, White Knights have high HP and weapon defense.
  • The best damage output out of the 3 warriors on single fire and lightning weak monsters.
  • Gain power very quickly in 3rd job. Similar to DKs, you only need to max your first skill to near your maximum damage output. For example, Crusaders need Combo, Panic, and Coma. Mages need 3 attacking skills, Amplification, and Booster. Thieves/Archers have at least 2 attacking skills to max. Lets just say that Fire Charge and absolutely nothing else can get you from 70-120 (with relative ease).
  • Gain power even quicker in 4th job (given that you can get the Adv. Charge skillbook at or before 120). Paladins can max Adv. Charge by 123, which causes their Charged Blow to be spammable and approx. 3x as strong as Slash Blast.
  • Potential to reach the damage cap in the later levels with Blast.

Disadvantages:
  • Absolutely no unique party skills whatsoever even in 4th job.
  • Knights do not do very well at most boss runs (Pianus, Headless Horseman, and Black Crow being exceptions because they are weak to fire, lightning, and lightning respectively) because they offer nothing to the party and do not do good damage on neutral monsters.
  • This is subjective and opinions may differ, but White Knights' skills are not as flashy as skills of a Crusader or Dragon Knight.
  • They are mostly restricted to training areas where elemental advantage applies. The reason mainly being White Knights cannot kill as fast as most other classes on monsters they do not have an elemental advantage on, due to..
  • Lowest damage output out of the 3 warriors on monsters that are not weak to fire, ice, or lightning (or holy, as a Paladin).
  • They carry general warrior weaknesses: no movement skill (until 4th job), small range, get bumped a lot, low magic defense and avoid.

3. Why Page?

Why should I become a Page? They aren't the best damage dealers in the game, they don't move fast, they don't bring anything to a party, and they sure as hell can't train anywhere they want (efficiently, that is).

The Page class polarizes opinions. Some people say they are really boring and useless while others swear that the contrary is true. After all, we are just another class in Maple Story. Choose this class if you want to be a part of it. Hopefully by the end of this read you will have enough information to decide if Page is the right class for you. It sure was for me.

4. AP Distribution

This is a question that is asked a lot in many different forms:
  • How much DEX should I have and when should I cap it?
  • How much STR and DEX do I need to add every level?
  • I'm going to have DEX = 2 x Level. When should I stop?
  • How do other people have DEXless warriors? They miss monsters?
Rawr. This goes on and on. The amount of DEX a warrior should have is a rather large topic because it depends on so many factors like the amount of mesos you have. One puny section in a guide will not do it justice. Besides, this issue is not my main focus. However, here are a few pointers to help those new to warrior stat distribution:
  • All, I mean ALL, warrior equipment do NOT require DEX to equip. You can have 4 points in DEX and equip the level 90 swords/maces once you're at that level. (OK, I lied. There's a 2-handed level 100 sword called the Stonetooth sword that has requires 120 DEX to equip. It is faster than most other 2-handed swords but is extremely rare due to coming from Gachapon only.)
  • In this game you need accuracy to hit monsters. If you have less accuracy than what is needed to 100% hit a monster you will miss (duh). Guess what, warriors have the worst accuracy in the game. We are the only class who have to pay great attention to the accuracy stat. All other classes will have more than enough accuracy needed to hit monsters that are somewhat near their level.
  • Each point of DEX will give you 0.8 accuracy, each point of LUK will give you 0.5 accuracy (equips included), and each point in the skill "Weapon Mastery" will give you 1 point of accuracy.
  • Sniper pills are 500 mesos each from the Ludibrium Department Store (pot shop) and give 10 accuracy for 10 minutes. Use them. 10 accuracy is 12.5 DEX, which means you can have your DEX 12.5 points lower (thus your STR 12.5 points higher).
  • Equips should be a main source of accuracy: Zakum Helmet, Warrior overalls scrolled for DEX, Shoes scrolled for DEX or Jump, and earrings scrolled for DEX. Capes can be scrolled for STR and try to use a glove scrolled for Attack whenever possible. Of course not everybody can afford good stuff, which is why how much mesos you have is a big factor.
  • To maximize your damage, only raise your base DEX (dumping all other points into STR obviously) when you have considered every possible source of accuracy (i.e. you're too poor/can't be bothered to upgrade equips, mastery is maxed, you're using a sniper pill/a cleric's bless) and still can't 100% hit the monster you're training on.
  • For the most part, do not rely on a DEX/ACC glove to attain your target accuracy, because you would be better off with the attack boost a glove scrolled for attack would give you.
  • To know how much accuracy you need to hit a certain monster, check out either of these accuracy calculators: http://glue.umd.edu/~mdevries/acc.html or http://www.screaming...e.com/accuracy/.
  • The most accuracy you need to train (current end-game) efficiently is 139. Try to achieve 129 clean accuracy so 139 is achievable easily through a sniper pill.

I haven't said everything I know about the subject (i.e. top STR/bottom DEX scrolls, when a DEX glove is useful, etc.) but I've digressed too much. Consult other resources for more about this.

5. Page: A Knight in Training

I will assume you know what to do in 1st job (Get Max HP increase ASAP, max Power Strike and Slash Blast, 4/4 in INT/LUK, etc.), are at least level 30, and you have chosen Page as your second job advancement.

5.i. Skill Descriptions
  • Sword/Blunt Weapon Mastery
    Master Level: 20
    Effect: Boosts weapon mastery. As skill level rises, minimum damage increases and accuracy is boosted. At max level, this skill gives a passive 60% weapon mastery and 20 accuracy.
    My opinion: Max this right away because trust me, you won't want to be hitting 2k with Power Strike on one slash and 300 on the next. The accuracy is really nice as well. Only max the one corresponding with your weapon of choice.
  • Final Attack: Sword/Blunt Weapon
    Master Level: 30, Prereq: 3 in Sword/Blunt Weapon Mastery
    Effect: An extra attack at the cost of no MP might appear when you use Power Strike or Slash Blast. Higher levels of this skill increase the chance of this happening. At max level, it happens 60% of the time with 250% power.
    My opinion: This is an important skill as well because it increases your damage output. The extra attack is fast but may hinder movement because when FA activates you cannot move even if there is no monster to whack. Even so the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, so max it anyways. I am aware of a no-FA skill build, which I will address later. Be sure to max the one corresponding to your weapon.
  • Sword/Blunt Weapon Booster
    Master Level: 20, Prereq: 5 in Sword/Blunt Weapon Mastery
    Effect: Boosts the attacking speed of the weapon in hand for a certain period of time. Higher levels of this skill increase duration and decrease HP/MP cost. Consumes 10 HP/10 MP to boost for 200 seconds at max level.
    My opinion: I never wanted to attack without booster once I got this to a decent level. Again, weapon specific, so pick accordingly.
  • Threaten
    Effect: Decreases the Attack and Defense of up to 6 monsters around you. Higher levels of Threaten decrease more attack/defense and increase duration of effect. At max it decreases 20 weapon attack and defense for 60 seconds.
    My opinion: Many people see this as a useless skill but I use it a lot subconsciously. It does save you some money at higher leveled monsters so why not?
  • Power Guard
    Master Level: 30, Prereq: 3 in Threaten
    Effect: Reflects a percentage of all touch damage you receive back to the monster and reduces knock-back you receive from monsters. Higher levels of this skill reflect more damage and last longer. At max this reflects back 40% touch damage for 90 seconds.
    My opinion: Another must get. A great potion saver. Reduced KB prevents monsters from knocking you off ledges. The damage you reflect is just a bonus. The only bad points I can think of this skill is it aggravates every monster you touch (which is pretty bad if they can launch nasty projectiles at you) and has crap duration.

5.ii. Skill Builds

Thankfully, you have enough 2nd skill points to max everything you need to get and still have a leftover point. Here is what I recommend:
  • 19 Sword/Blunt Weapon Mastery
  • 9 (or 6) Sword/Blunt Weapon Booster
  • 30 Final Attack: Sword/Blunt Weapon (Max)
  • 3 Threaten
  • 30 Power Guard (Max)
  • 17 Threaten (Max)
  • 1 Sword/Blunt Weapon Mastery (Max)
  • 11 (or 14) Sword/Blunt Weapon Booster (Max)
  • 1 in anything you want

This gets you to level 70. No, I won't assign skills for every single level. This should be pretty straight-forward anyway. Mastery first to reduce instability, then a 90 second Booster to increase attacking speed. Final Attack to increase damage output, then get Power Guard and its 3 Threaten prerequisite because it's wonderful. We'll keep Booster at 9 because it syncs nicely with Power Guard and go ahead and max Threaten. Finally finish off Booster and Mastery. Dump that last point into any skill you want because it doesn't really matter. I put mine into HP recovery.

Frankly you can do anything you want during 2nd job as long as you get Mastery, some Booster, Final Attack, Power Guard, and Threaten in that general order. Thankfully for me there really isn't much debate regarding the order of these skills, disimilar to Fighters' Rage dilemmas. Just don't go do anything stupid like get Sword Mastery with BW FA.

6. White Knight: Rise to Glory

Heh, rise to glory.. yea right.. Anyways, third job is when you will quickly gain power. Here once again, are the skills.

6.i. Skill Descriptions
  • Improving MP Recovery
    Effect: Boosts your innate MP regeneration rate. As skill level rises, MP Recovery is increased more. Maxes out at +30 MP per 10 seconds for a total of 33MP/10 seconds.
    My opinion: Not a really great skill, because 30 MP every 10 seconds won't really make you a millionaire. Not the least useful White Knight skill though.
  • Shield Mastery
    Effect: Increases your shield defense by a certain percentage if you have a shield equipped. A higher level skill increases more defense. At max level this doubles your shield's defense.
    My opinion: Although defense reduces damage taken by minimal amounts, 1-handers might want to invest in this skill, simply because there isn't anything else to get. Another filler skill.
  • Fire/Flame Charge (Sword/Blunt Weapon)
    Master Level: 30
    Effect: When casted, charges up your weapon with the power of fire. Increases your damage by a certain percentage. If you attack a fire-weak monster with this charge active your damage is boosted again. Increased levels of charge give higher damage boost, higher elemental advantage boost, and lasts longer. At max Fire Charged attacks do 120% damage, have 150% elemental advantage, and the charge last for 200 seconds.
    My opinion: Fairly strong charge that can get you to 120 alone. Lots of training monsters are weak to fire (most noticably in the Ludi Dungeon and Leafre). It is advisable to max this first.
  • Ice/Blizzard Charge (Sword/Blunt Weapon)
    Effect: When casted, charges up your weapon with ice power. This charge nets elemental advantage over ice-weak monsters while freezing monsters not immune or strong against ice. Increased levels increase damage, elemental advantage boost, and last longer. Maxes out at 105% damage, 150% elemental advantage, and 200 seconds.
    My opinion: Used to be a fairly useless charge for training due to the lack of Ice-weak monsters. The release of Leafre changed this, since this opens up Red Kentaurus and Red Wyverns for great solo exp.
  • Thunder/Lightning Charge (Sword/Blunt Weapon)
    Effect: When casted, charges up your weapon with the power of lightning. Increases your damage by a certain percentage. If you attack a lightning-weak monster with this charge active your damage is boosted again. Increased levels of charge give higher damage boost, higher elemental advantage boost, and last longer. At max Lightning Charged attacks do 125% damage with 150% elemental advantage and the charge lasts for 200 seconds.
    My opinion: Strongest charge. However, the lack of trainable Lightning weak monsters has relegated this to be the least useful charge for training. Will be mainly used for killing neutral monsters (including most bosses).
  • Charged Blow
    Effect: Damages and stuns up to 6 monsters in front of you, but dispels your charge. Higher levels of this skill stun with a greater probability and do more damage. At max this does 250% to up to 6 monsters stunning 90% of the time.
    My opinion: A great skill but how much you use it depends on your playing style. Effective usage of this skill will save you lots in pot money as it prevents monsters from running into/shooting you. Basically a strong Slash Blast (or a Power Strike that hits 6) that stuns and doesn't activate FA but kills your current charge. Charged Blow with Ice Charge will not stun but it will freeze. Advance Charge, a Paladin skill, will beef up this attack and make it your main training move.
  • Magic Crash
    Master Level: 20, Prereq: 3 in Charged Blow
    Effect: Dispels enemies' Magic Defense Up skill. Higher levels increase the success rate. At max this skill has 100% success rate.
    My opinion: Why would you need to dispel MDef Up when all your attacks are only cut by WDef? A priest's Dispel does this too and so much more. Waste of skill points.

This whole charge system can be pretty confusing to non-White Knights so I'll try to explain it a bit more. An elemental charge is just a buff like Hyper Body that appears on the top right of your screen. When active, it boosts your damage by a certain percentage (the percentage is determined by your skill level, it can be seen in the skill window) and your magic damage by a number (max Lightning charge will add 38 to your Magic Attack but this is just a novelty as Magic Attack has no part in a White Knight's damage). All your attacks then become elemental. If you attack a monster weak to that particular element, you get another damage boost (150% with a maxed charge, less with lower charge levels). Conversely, if you attack a monster strong against a particular element, your damage gets halved (think mages). Like all buffs, charges disappear run out with time and can be dispelled. Recast the charge to retain the damage boost if this happens. Charges also get dispelled when you use Charged Blow regardless of how much time is left on the charge.

6.ii. Skill Builds

Like Page skill builds, White Knight skill builds are fairly straight-forward. It is imperative that you have Fire Charge maxed or almost maxed by 80, however, because it is the only charge that you'll be using to train throughout your 8x and 9x levels. I used to (pre-Leafre) recommend Charged Blow to be the next skill that you max because of its mob controlling abilities. My old recommended build used to be:
  • 30 in Fire Charge (Max)
  • 30 in Charged Blow (Max)
  • 3 in Ice Charge
  • 30 in Lightning Charge (Max)
  • 27 in Ice Charge (Max)
  • 31 in anything you want

However, due to the release of Leafre and its various Ice-weak monsters, Ice Charge is bumped up the priority list. Here is my new recommended build:
  • 30 in Fire Charge (Max)
  • 30 in Ice Charge (Max)
  • 30 in Charged Blow (Max)
  • 30 in Lightning Charge (Max)
  • 31 in anything you want

You can also get 1 Ice Charge as your first 3rd job skill point because level 1 Fire Charge will hardly boost your damage but 1 Ice will still freeze nicely (although you'll have to recast it every 10 seconds or so). However, Fire Charge is still maxed first because it allows you to get to 80 the quickest and is ever-useful afterwards. Ice Charge is next maxed because you want Ice Charge to do maximum damage by level 90 to take advantage of the Ice-weak monsters in Leafre. Charged Blow is next to increase your control over Fire-weak monsters. Lightning Charge for bosses (and Vikings.. maybe Rextons.. both monsters people rarely train on). We finish off our build with any combination of MP Recovery/Shield Mastery/Magic Crash you want. If you are NEVER going to use a 1-handed weapon, I recommend 20 MP Recovery and 11 Magic Crash. Else get 10 MP Recovery, 20 Shield Mastery, and 1 Magic Crash. At level 10 MP Recovery already increases your regeneration rate by 20 MP/10 seconds so each subsequent skill point is just going to raise it by a whopping 1 MP/10 seconds. Heck you can even dump all of these points into mastery and booster for the other weapon type and no one would know the difference. A variation is to swap Ice Charge and Charged Blow (maybe you like training at Duals and would like to train on them and Grims until 100).

I'd like to elaborate on why Fire Charge needs to be maxed first. First off, White Knights do horrible damage on monsters that are not weak to any of their charges. Therefore you would want as much as possible to train on elemental monsters. A WK with maxed Ice Charge or Lightning Charge by 80 would have almost nowhere to train. Bains are semi-trainable monsters but they are level 90 monsters, which would require improbable amounts of accuracy to hit by 80. Buffoons just have bad spawn and a very bad map layout. Vikings are a bit more trainable than Bains since there MIGHT be a small number of parties going on.. but you can't party or even hit them at level 80. Red Kentaurus and Birks will require lots of accuracy at 80, which is a problem. Water Goblins/Ghost Pirates/Dual Pirates, however, are fire-weak monsters on great/decent/good maps and are highly solo-able from 70 onwards.

7. Paladin: The Holy Knight

4th jobs were released in GMS patch 0.49, allowing all level 120+ White Knights to advance to Paladin. Yes, being a Paladin does pay off. With a new job comes a bunch of new flashy skills, which I shall describe in detail here.

7.i. Skill Descriptions
  • Maple Warrior [Common skill]
    Effect: Boosts you and your party members' stats by a certain percentage. Higher levels of this skill increase your stats by more for a longer duration. At max it increases all your stats by 10% for 600 seconds.
    How to acquire: Skillbook is given to you by your 4th job instructor. Double click to use it.
    My thoughts: Yay a party skill, but no. People won't be partying Paladins just for this seeing as every class will have it. Even so, a nice damage boost. Since the level 20 Mastery book drops from Horntail and is not yet widely available (at least at this current time), a 5% stat bonus (level 9 or 10 Maple Warrior) is realistically what most people will have. Still good.
  • Hero's Will [Common skill]
    Master Level: 1
    Effect: Releases yourself from seduction.
    How to acquire: Complete the quest 'Strong Will' which can be started by talking to Cheif Tatamo in Leafre.
    My thoughts: As of now only the Horntail boss can inflict seduce you so it will not be useful until you actually want to fight him.
  • Monster Magnet [Warrior common skill]
    Effect: Pulls a monster towards you. The success rate and range of this skill increases with skill level. At max this pulls a monster from 400 range with a 95% success rate.
    How to acquire: Acquired automatically upon advancement.
    My thoughts: I can't seem to think of any useful application for this skill aside from pulling one monster out of a mob to kill first (I have yet to put a point into this skill), but that would be contraproductive because as a warrior you want mobs. In my opinion this skill is totaly outshined by..
  • Rush [Warrior common skill]
    Effect: This skill allows you to launch forward while pushing the monsters in front of you. You can rush up to 10 monsters together. Increased levels of Rush increases its damage and range. At max this has 250% range and does 130% damage.
    How to acquire: Find an "Indecipherable Book" from Taurospears (or the FM, this book is tradable). Having this book allows you to initiate the quest for Rush by talking to Manji of Perion.
    My thoughts: Very, very useful skill. Speeds up training because to mob you won't have to aggro everything then wait until they group together on you. Allows for faster movement through maps with monsters. Allows you to pin Papulatus to the wall. You are also immune to magic attacks mid-rush. One of your first three skill points upon advancement to Paladin should definitely go into this skill. Rush with Ice Charge also freezes everything you rush.
  • Achilles [Warrior common skill]
    Effect: Decreases physical damage you take by a certain percentage. Higher levels decrease more damage. At level 30 this cuts off your physical damage by 15%.
    How to acquire: Automatic upon advancement.
    My thoughts: Not quite the Power Guard but at least has some function. Passive too. Nice to have, but there are many other skills more important than this.
  • Power Stance [Warrior common skill]
    Effect: When casted, you have a chance of not getting knocked back by a monster's attack. At higher levels there is a bigger chance of this happening. When maxed, you don't get knocked back 90% of the time for 300 seconds.
    How to acquire: Find a "Crimson Balrog's Proposal" from a Crimson Balrog. Talk to Harmonia, and finish the string of quests that follow. The last quest involves protecting Tylus from a barrage of C. Rogs and Lycanthropes, also sometimes referred to as.. *sigh*.. El Nath PQ.
    My thoughts: Useful for mainly bossing I suppose, allows you to attack the boss from a ledge (like at Papulatus) without having to climb back up every single time you get attacked. Still, I'd max the more useful skills first before even touching this.
  • Guardian [Hero/Paladin exclusive skill]
    Effect: Passive skill that allows a small chance for a monster attack to be nullified by your shield. When Guardian activates, the enemy is stunned for 2 seconds. Probability of blocking the monster attack increases with the level of this skill. Maxes out at 15% chance. This only works with a shield equipped.
    How to acquire: Complete the quest 'A Shield's True Power', initiated by talking to Moose, which is located in Leafre: Forest: Crossroad.
    My thoughts: A nice bonus to 1-handed weapon users and an incentive to use 1-handed weapons. Looks like this skill aims to do what Shield Mastery failed to do in 3rd job. Still, even as a 1-hander, get the more important skills first.
  • Blast
    Effect: A single attack on a single enemy. The stab animation does not imply that the damage is calculated that way. Increases in power with the skill level. At maxed this does 550% damage.
    How to acquire: Automatic acquisition.
    My thoughts: The skill that finally took Power Strike off my keyboard. Really cool animations too (different for each charge). Not the best in training since it targets single monsters, but a charm for bossing and cleaning up strays.
  • Holy Charge (Sword/Blunt Weapon)
    Effect: Charges your weapon with holy power. Increases damage by a certain percentage. Elemental weaknesses and resistances apply. Increased levels of charge give higher damage boost, higher elemental advantage boost, and last longer. When maxed this skill grants 140% damage, 150% elemental bonus, and lasts for 300 seconds.
    How to acquire: Finish the quest 'A Holy Knight's Sword' initiated by talking to Harmonia. Involves getting a Holy cup and filling it with Holy water. Note: The Holy water for this quest is found in the very back of the last map (the horizontally long one after the one with infinite Skelegons) of the Horntail Quest ('Horntail PQ'), obtainable by clicking on the 'crater' in the ground.
    My thoughts: Opens up a lot more training places (like Dreamy Ghosts), stronger than Lightning Charge on neutral enemies (so used at bosses), lasts longer, and is visually much more pleasing than any of the other charges.
  • Advanced Charge
    Master Level: 10
    Effect: Increases your Charged Blow damage while increasing the chance of not losing your charge. At maxed your Charged Blow will deal 350% instead of 250% and you will never lose your charge. Essentially it allows Charged Blow to be used continually.
    How to acquire: Retrieve an Advance Charge skillbook, which drops from Zakum. Double-click to use.
    My thoughts: Best Paladin skill, no contest. Gets rid of Slash Blast forever. Saves pots because of its stun. Only 10 SP to max. This is really what you should be looking forward to as a Paladin.
  • Heaven's Hammer
    Effect: Summons a hammer that attacks the entire screen (Dragon Roar style). Attacks up to 15 enemies but cannot kill (Monsters will be left at 1 HP). Higher levels of skill increases damage and reduces cooldown. At max this does 900% damage with a 70 second cooldown.
    How to acquire: Finish the quest 'Song of Forgotten Warrior', started by talking to Wiz the Librarian of KFT. It is the same quest the Heroes need to complete for their Enrage and the Dark Knights for their Berserk.
    My thoughts: The cooldown prevents this from being both broken and practical, but remains a really good show-off skill. Works on C. Rogs. Ice Charged Hammer freezes everything on screen.

7.ii. Skill Builds

Skill builds for 4th job aren't as straight forward as skill builds for the other three jobs, namely because not everyone has access to the same Zakum fights and Mastery Books. Nevertheless, the ideal build for Paladins will look like this:
  • 1 into Rush
  • 10 into Advance Charge (Max)
  • 20 into Holy Charge (Max)
  • Whatever you need (Blast/Rush/Stance/Maple Warrior prioritized)

Yes, Rush is really useful even at level 1. Advance Charge is obviously next, because it's just plain beautiful. Holy Charge after that to open up Skelegons and Himes and to increase your damage on neutral types. After that it doesn't really matter since Rush + Adv. Charge + Holy Charge, maybe a few Bishop friends, and open training maps is all you need to level. Besides, you should be well into your mid 130s by then so you should know what you want. Blast increases damage output on single monsters (bosses notably), Rush will speed up training, Stance is a good skill to have in general, and Maple Warrior is there if you don't want to rely on others for it.

On my Paladin, at level 133 I have 1 Rush, 10 Adv. Charge, 9 Maple Warrior, 9 Blast, 12 Holy Charge, and 1 Heaven's Hammer. I admit I rushed and did things out of order due to me not believing that I could get Adv. Charge and pass the level 20 Holy Charge mastery book, but I'm fine with it.

8. Weapon Type Choice

Another question that is tossed around a lot. Sword/BW? 1h/2h? Here's a list (I love lists if you can't tell already) of the pros and cons:

Sword Advantages:
  • Most stable warrior weapon (Not considering DKs' forced stab/swing attacks).
  • Generally the fastest attacking warrior weapon.
  • Swords have a larger market. Therefore easier to buy and sell.

Sword Disadvantages:
  • Generally much more expensive than similar attack BWs

BW Advantages:
  • Cheap weapons and scrolls, meaning a mass scrolling spree is easier to do with BWs.
  • Higher maximum damage than swords.
  • Easier to obtain a really good BW through scrolling as doing so is cheaper.

BW Disadvantages:
  • MUCH lower minimum damage than swords, which leads to..
  • Very unstable damage. Your minimum damage can go as low as 25% of your max.
  • Less consistent knockback, which means you get bumped more.
  • Small market, low demand. A really well scrolled BW will sell at nothing compared to the price of a really well scrolled sword.
  • Most BWs are slow compared to their sword counterparts.
  • You would need much higher total weapon attack than a sword user to achieve the same average damage.

1 Handed Weapon Advantages:
  • Faster attacking speed.
  • Cheaper weapons and scrolls.
  • Can equip shields (which have base stats and can be scrolled for Attack/STR).
  • Potential to outdamage a 2-hander if paired with a good attack shield.

1 Handed Weapon Disadvantages:
  • Less range, meaning you get bumped more.
  • 1H swords are approx. 15% weaker than 2H swords, 1H BWs are approx. 10% weaker than 2H BWs (if they had the same attack).
  • Small market. You'll have a hard time finding a really good 1-hander.

2 Handed Weapon Advantages:
  • Higher damage than 1H weapons.
  • Longer range, so you take bump damage less often.
  • Much better availability.

2 Handed Weapon Disadvantages:
  • Clean weapons and scrolls are more expensive.

There you have it. Inform me if I've missed some. Most people use 2H swords, including myself. Some others use 2H BWs and a few use 1H swords, while I have yet to see someone wielding a 1H BW. The choice between 1H and 2H isn't as crucial as it is between sword and BW because in most cases you can switch between 1H and 2H weapons with no problem. The same can't be said for Swords and BWs, which brings me to the next section.

9. Hybrid?

It's pretty clear now that Pages and White Knights don't have a lot of really crucial skills. Not having Threaten, Magic Crash, MP Recovery, and Shield Mastery won't exactly cripple your character. This is what motivates some people to get required skills for both weapons, thus leading to a hybrid build. Be informed, however, that unlike a Dragon Knight who benefits quite a bit from going hybrid (they get the stronger attack for the different weapons), a White Knight doesn't gain much if at all by maxing both masteries. Nevertheless, it's still an option.

We have 18 2nd job SP and 31 3rd job SP to distribute if we dump Threaten (you need at least 3 points for Power Guard though). One option is to get 19 Mastery for each weapon, 9 Booster for each, and Final Attack for just one. Forgoing Final Attack and maxing both masteries and boosters is another alternative altogether but overall you will just be weaker because Final Attack is an important part in your damage output. The 31 3rd job SP will allow you to max one specific charge for your secondary weapon.

Another scenario is a BW/Sword user would like to experience Paladinhood with the other weapon (although why sword users would do this is beyond me). They SP reset into the other Mastery and Booster and just get Holy Charge for the other weapon, thus creating a hybrid.

There is no "standard" hybrid build, because this is a path not many people go through. By the time you would even consider hybrid you should most probably know what you're getting into already.

10. Training

Oh, the ever ambiguous "where to train?" questions. I, of course, have not trained on all the monsters in gMS but I will try to present where I trained during certain levels, and why. I will also list what I know about the newer alternative training grounds.

Evil Eye ~ [Ant Tunnel] Cave of Evil Eye IV:
  • Level range: 30-35
  • 720 HP/50 EXP
  • Nice spawn of Evil Eyes for quick experience using Slash Blast. Map is narrow and Evil Eyes tend to drop down so it isn't hard to gather mobs of 4+ monsters. A bit isolated though, so stock up on potions beforehand.

Mask Fish ~ [Aqua Road] Forked Road: East Sea:
  • Level range: 30-35
  • 1000 HP/65 EXP
  • One map right of Aquarium, so travel isn't a problem. Mob up the monsters and finish off with Slash Blast. Attack while you stand on ground because attacking while you swim makes you sink away from the monsters.

Toy Trojan ~ [Ludibrium] Secret Factory:
  • Level range: 35-40
  • 1920 HP/92 EXP
  • By hitting one of the boxes in the Ludibrium Toy Factory you may be transported to 1 of 2 secret maps. The secret map you want would be the one that spawns 12 or so Trojans when you hit open a box in the map. These boxes respawn so you can go around the map breaking open the boxes and killing the Trojans. I trained here until 37 although my Spearman sister did until 40. Keep in mind that you will get no ETC nor Equip drops from the monsters here.

Bloctopus, Block Golem ~ [Ludibrium] Eos Tower 10th Floor:
  • Level range: 35-45
  • 1300 HP/72 EXP, 2400 HP/102 EXP
  • Great spawn of Bloctopi on the top platforms of this map. Once spawn slows down, clear the Bloctopi and Block Golems on the platforms below then return to the top platform. Another isolated training spot, although you can walk up to the 40th floor and restock at the Gumball Machine. I trained here from 37 until early 4x.

Block Golem, King Block Golem ~ [Ludibrium] Eos Tower 8th Floor:
  • Level range: 40-50
  • 2400 HP/102 EXP, 2600 HP/110 EXP
  • Same principle. Go up and down the map killing the block golems. Lots of warrior equip drops too. An alternative to this map is the Hidden Street just through the portal in the middle which has the same monsters with Rombot, a mini-boss that you need to kill for a quest. Again, isolated place, but Omega Sector, home of the cheapest Unagi in the game, is not that far away (Although why bother with Unagi if you can stick another character in New Leaf City and get Barbarian Elixirs).

Jr. Yeti ~ [El Nath] Watch Out For Icy Path I:
  • Level range: 50-60
  • 3700 HP/135 EXP
  • I am somewhat reluctant to list this training spot because although I did train here for about 2 levels, I didn't like it. The main idea here is to mob the yetis to the sides of the map before killing, which made me take too much bump damage for my liking. Drops Glove Attack scrolls although I never got one. Once a good training spot, but now outclassed by..

Straw Target Dummy ~ [Mu Lung] Practice Field: Beginner:
  • Level range: 45-60
  • 3000 HP/135 EXP
  • These move very slowly and spawn very fast on a flat map. Having 700 less HP than a Jr. Yeti but giving the same EXP, these monsters are a new VERY popular training target for most mid-2nd job classes. In the more populated servers, finding an empty map during peak hours is a blessing. The map to the right of this map is also an option although it is suboptimal compared to the first one (it should be pretty good when split with another player, however).

Gryphon ~ [Masteria] Mountain Cliffs:
  • Level range: 45-75
  • 3300 HP/220 EXP
  • Great HP to EXP ratio. High touch damage and map is quite hard to get around, but if you get used to the teleporters these are great EXP. Flies around but is big enough to hit without much problems. Another mobby training ground. Try to not fall because you can either get sent back a map or get stuck in holes that are hard to get out of. Drops horrible meso compared to the damage they inflict on you, so you WILL lose money here.

Cold Eyes, Drake, Wild Cargo ~ [Dungeon] Drake's Meal Table:
  • Level range: 50-60
  • 2000 HP/85 EXP, 3200 HP/135 EXP, 5500 HP/240 EXP
  • Nice big mobby map, but has bad terrain. Lots of Drake Blood drops, which in the past scored me a fortune, but are now near worthless thanks to the release of Takoyakis and Warrior Elixirs. A fun map to train on but EXP is now outclassed by other training spots.

Dark Stone Golem, Mixed Golem - [Hidden Street] Forest of Golem:
  • Level range: 55-80
  • 4800 HP/190 EXP, 6000 HP/210 EXP
  • Although it has lost some of its popularity because of the release of new training areas, FoG remains a good training map for warriors. Golems spawn fast and packed together for easy mobbing. Sharing/Partying the map usually yields maximum experience gain. Nice drops including Glove for Attack scrolls, Tobis, and Evil Wings.

Coolie Zombie ~ [El Nath] Forest of Dead Trees I - IV:
  • Level range: 55-75
  • 4500 HP/190 EXP
  • Loses out in almost every aspect to FoG (accessibility, spawn rate, and drops). Was a major training spot in the past but is not longer the main source of experience for late 2nd/early 3rd job characters. Still useful as a training bore-breaker. Zombie teeth can be sold for quite high on most servers.

Voodoo ~ [Haunted House] Sophilia's Bedroom:
  • 6800 HP/335 EXP
  • Very, very small map, but great spawn. Only 4 monsters will appear at any time, but once you kill one another one spawns quickly. Note the HP/EXP ratio which is better than most monsters in this level range. Another popular training spot for all 10 classes, very hard to get a map in populated servers. Changing channels inside takes you outside of the mansion. To get to this map, from the Foyer take the top-rightmost door to Hallway - Where are you? and take the 2nd door from the right on the bottom row.

Hoodoo ~ [Haunted House] Vanity Room:
  • 6800 HP/335 EXP
  • See: Voodoo. From Hallway - Where are you?, take the top-rightmost door.

Water Goblin, Samiho ~ [Zipangu] Vanished Village:
  • Level range: 60-75
  • 7100 HP/220 EXP, 4500 HP/185 EXP
  • Both monsters are weak to fire, so you will be getting a decent damage boost from Fire Charge. The map is flat and spawn is great. You can kill them one by one or mob them all together to the sides then kill. Bring lots of Holy Water because the Samihos curse you a lot.

Ghost Pirate ~ [Ludibrium] Warped Path of Time 3:
  • Level range: 75-85
  • 30000 HP/1100 EXP
  • Usually the first Ludibrium monster White Knights train on. Weak to fire but much stronger than anything you've faced before. These require a lot of accuracy, only come here if you can hit them with a 95%+ rate. To avoid taking too much damage, don't jump into mobs, pick them off one by one. Stay close to the Pirate and don't jump to avoid getting shot by his magic attack (which does twice its touch). Circle around the map ignoring the Bufoons (or take the Bufoons out with Ice Charge).

Dual Ghost Pirate ~ [Ludibrium] Unbalanced Time:
  • Level range: 80-100
  • 35000 HP/1500 EXP
  • The next step up. Another fire weak monster. Very similar to Ghost Pirates in shape, size, and attack pattern, but with a much better map and no Bufoons. Split the map with 3 other attackers and a Priest for fast EXP. Generally good drops, steelies in particular.

Blue Kentaurus ~ [Leafre] The Area of Blue Kentaurus:
  • 37000 HP/1600 EXP
  • A bit stronger than Duals, but tighter spawn, and harder-to-avoid-magic attacks. Maybe not the best place to train unless you only care about EXP, since you will bleed pots like a fresh wound here.

Red Kentaurus ~ [Leafre] The Area of Red Kentaurus:
  • 37000 HP/1600 EXP
  • ce users will want to train on these. Map consists of 2 somewhat horizontal pieces of ground, spawning more on the bottom platform. Freezing them allows for a breather, although you will still use pots since they spawn very tightly.

Birk, Dual Birk ~ [Leafre] Forest: Crossroad:
  • 32000 HP/1420 EXP, 37000 HP/1620 EXP
  • Another map for Ice users. Top 2 ledges spawn Birks, which are Ice-weak, but bottom platform has Dual Birks, which are neutral to Ice and resist Holy. More of a drop hunting map, although EXP should be comparable to Red Kentaurs. Dual Birks drop Pinakas.

Spirit Viking ~ [Ludibrium] Warped Path of Time 4:
  • Level range: 95-110
  • 50000 HP/2100 EXP
  • Use lightning on these. Drops ilbies, but as Viking parties rarely happen anymore with the advent of Aqua Dungeon and Dreamy Ghosts, these are no longer a good training monster. Still an option though.

Squid, Risell Squid ~ [Aqua Road] Dangerous Sea Gorge II:
  • Level range: 95-110
  • 52000 HP/2200 EXP, 49000 HP/2500 EXP
  • Freezable but not weak to any of a Knight's elements. Good exp if you can get into a party however. Ice charge and the slow moving speed of these will ensure that you almost never get hurt. Your party will perhaps stick you in the spot with lowest spawn though.

Red Wyvern ~ [Hidden Street] Nest of Red Wyvern:
  • Level range: 95-120
  • 53000 HP/2500 EXP
  • Lets say, Ice-weak Squids that spawn quickly on a narrow map with 4 flat ledges and twist into an awkward shape when they are freezed. Great training spot, solo or party. Ice saves mesos but you will get damaged because of the shape they freeze into.

Blue Wyvern ~ [Hidden Street] Nest of Blue Wyvern:
  • Level range: 100-130
  • 57000 HP/3050 EXP
  • Again, fire weak, but they hurt. A lot. Another pot bleeding place, although Paladins with Adv. Charge will have no problem here. Party with a Bishop spamming Genesis on top for best results. (Finding a willing Bishop is the hard part).

Grim Phantom Watch ~ [Ludibrium] Forgotten Time:
  • Level range: 100-120
  • 60000 HP/2800 EXP
  • Strongest trainable monster in the Ludibrium Dungeon. Again, weak to fire. Ideally you should split the map with a priest who kills the bottom platform. These only use their ice attack when it is facing left, so attack them from the right to your advantage. Back then, used to be THE map to train on. Not anymore.

Dreamy Ghost ~ [Zipangu] Encounter with the Buddha:
  • Level range: 110-140
  • 68000 HP/3200 EXP
  • Still a very popular training map. White Knights can use Ice to save pots or Lightning to kill as fast as they can (which isn't very fast). Paladins can just use Holy Charge to mop up this map. Flat map with awesome spawn, but Black Crow spawns once a day in here. Weak to Holy and healable, which attracts Priests/Bishops.

Jr. Newtie, Transforming Jr. Newtie, Nest Golem ~ [Leafre] Destroyed Dragon Nest:
  • Level range: 110-130
  • 68000 HP/3800 EXP, 80000 HP/4450 EXP
  • Another popular training map, although not suited for WKs/Paladins. More of a map to leech off friends, namely Magician friends. Elementally neutral and incredibly annoying since the Jr. Newts auto-aggro and shoots magic that locks on. But if you have good friends, go for it. The usual spot you might want is the single top-leftmost Newtie.

Skelegon, Skelosaurus ~ [Leafre] The Dragon Nest Left Behind:
  • Level range: 130+
  • 80000 HP/4500 EXP, 85000 HP/4750 EXP
  • The current gMS endgame training map. Advisable to have a decent level of Holy Charge before coming here, but having Adv. Charge is a must, since they hit hard. Rather tricky to find a map open in the populated servers. Best results when split with a Bishop.

Skelosaurus, Nest Golem ~ [Leafre] Peak of the Big Nest:
  • Level range: 130+
  • 85000 HP/4750 EXP, 80000 HP/4450 EXP
  • Two flat platforms, one with Skelosaurs, one with Nest Golems. Generally preferred when splitting with another non-mage class. Priest or HS-mule is optional. Decent alternative to Dragon Nest Left Behind if none are available.

11. Motivational Material

Also known as Videos I Like. I don't have a lot of these, but more will be added to the list below as I see fit.
  • http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4537995847707952410
    A personal favorite, this video is one I think every aspiring White Knight should see at least once. Showcases very well what advantage White Knights have over other classes (not damage!). Sure influenced the way I control my character. By MysticHLE of Broa.

• My pick of all the Paladin videos I've watched. Played a part in winning me over from thinking that Hero was the funner 4th job warrior, an opinion I developed from the barrage of Stonetooth-Brandishing-Hero-videos available.

• Shows off all 4 of the Paladin's charges. Note that she almost never gets damaged during the video.

12. Legal Crap

This article is copyright to me and may not be reproduced in any way for non-personal use, part or whole, without my consent. As of current version, the only website on which it is hosted is MapleTip.com. All MapleStory related trademarks are owned by Nexon. 4th job information is obtained from Fiel's thread on southperry.net and in-game experience.

13. Parting Words

My Paladin, Kevinpy, is level 133 but currently inactive due to being stripped and me playing on my Ranger. Any questions, comments, or suggestions may be directed to me in-game (on my Ranger) or through these forums. Thanks to my buddies for keeping my interest on this game for so long. You may not know who you are, but I do, and that's all that matters.

I also thank you, the reader, for going through this. Finally, a big thank you to Blade Oracle of MapleTip for suggestions/corrections/proofreading. If by reading this document you know what a Page is, you stop asking White Knights for HB, and you stop offering Blunt Weapon scrolls to every Paladin you see, I've done a good job. One last word: if you find yourself not having fun on your Page/WK/Paladin, go play a different class. Playing without enjoying it is pointless.

Edited by kevin y, 11 August 2008 - 12:02 PM.

- Bellocan
Kevynpy - 17x Bowmaster
Aubergines - 11x White Knight
Characid - 9x Battle Mage

Page/White Knight/Paladin Guide - terribly out of date
Everest - Guild Boss Hunting Event - Winner!

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 FFTAmaster92

FFTAmaster92

Jr. Necki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • IGN:FireKaliber

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:07 PM

Dude amazing Guide...I know its still in the making but It just made me want to make a Page that much more! Also thanks for the "Which weapon to choose" List, It is going to help ALOT.
Windia Characters
FireKaliber
MetalKaliber
AirKaliber

Mardia Characters
WindKaliber

My SinDit Guide.

If you are a person that doesn't like to follow guides that are a little bit off of the traditional path of things then DO NOT look that the guide above. All you will be doing is post something that will bash it and I really do not like it when people bash work of mine that I KNOW is correct.

#3 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts
  • IGN:HolyOracle-Lv 90

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:41 PM

YES. I knew you were going to make a page guide. =D You've no idea how happy this makes me. Now time to read it...

K, just finished reading. Very thorough. Can't really think of much to add except personal opinions (like how scrolling a lionheart makes training infinitely faster and easier =P).
I might add that mask fish are really good experience in the level 30-35 range, and they drop lionhearts and colorful tubes and a few dex scrolls.

Posted Image

#4 1338Joe

1338Joe

In memory of MTDScania's Vlad. We miss you! <3

• Respected Member
  • 1908 posts
  • IGN:myAvGJoe

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:38 PM

This is a VERY nice guide. 10/10

This shall help my page very much.
I miss old sMTD.

#5 kevin y

kevin y

Drake

• Official Member
  • 589 posts
  • IGN:kevinpyr

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:39 PM

Haha, thanks for all the nice comments people. I just had to throw this out there =P.

@ Eric:
Originally I wanted to write in a section called "Tips" for things I think need to be said but don't warrant a whole additional section, but as I went to write it I blanked out. I'll put together some stuff and after I have enough I'll add them to the guide. I'll add the mask fish part in the next update. (I did level 25-30 on Cico/Cicle in Fish Resting Spot and I liked it because the monsters were on the ground, also tried Bubble Fish but didn't like it due because I was slashing the water most of the time. I will check out Mask Fish though. I assume Forked Road - East Sea?)

More opinions/additions on training spots or anything else are welcome... I'm quite outdated on lower level training grounds. Anyone have an opinion on the Masks in Perion?
- Bellocan
Kevynpy - 17x Bowmaster

#6 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:43 PM

You may have to consider that my own page is pretty funded (40 dex, 10 att wg) so I may think that a lot of places are pretty fast when they may just be okay =P

Mask fish are immediately to the right of the aquarium. I tried those mask things in Perion and I think they're better in the lower 3X and higher 3X, although once above level 35, I trained mostly at block and stone golems, which will probably last me until Jr. Yetis at 50.
I'm going to try straw dummies now, but from 35-45, the red robots in Ludi are pretty good. The map has a decent spawn and a good cycle. Gryphons can be done about 10 levels earlier for crazy experience, but it's also crazy costly because, especially if you're low dex, they'll be hitting around 300 on you.

I might mention that my page build is EXACTLY like yours =P.
Indeed, you say you've been training at duals for infinitely many levels, so wouldn't maxing ice first be more useful than lightning? You may be considered more for parties. Fire will also last you at grims.

Posted Image

#7 Sahweet

Sahweet

An island of reality in an ocean of diarrhea

• MapleTip Contributor
  • 1234 posts
  • IGN:-

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:49 PM

Wow, this is a very good guide and it helped me a lot.
I have a level 75 WK that was given to me by my friend and I was debating on whether I should play it or not. Now I've decided to. mush1n.gif

Windia
Alldaze: level 5X Mercedes - Active for break; add me! :3
Polydor: level 14X Mechanic
DrParasite: level 176 Marksmam
Sahweet: level 80 Hermit

Posted Image

#8 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:10 PM

You probably don't want to add this to the guide, but for 4th job discussion purposes, one would probably put a point into Rush first to speed up training immensely. Then max Holy Charge, then either blast or advanced charge, a decision to be treated like power strike or slash blast. Then it's a choice between rush and sanctuary. The amount of money you have would probably be the determining factor because sanctuary gets a bunch of monsters on your tail, though you need only touch them to kill them. Then maple hero (I assume you'd be partying until now with a class that's mastered it earlier =P) then stance then iunno.
I'm actually really confused as to what to do with maple hero. It increases your stats by a huge amount so I'm not sure if I'd max that first or another skill =/

Ah well. As for the guide, add pictures!

Posted Image

#9 kevin y

kevin y

Drake

• Official Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:49 AM

Disparities in equips and stats do make things a whole lot more complicated. There's also the factor of how much you like the map. It seems like I will have to add more training spots to this so people can try them out themselves.

I should also probably recommend to train on monsters equal or lower to your level because before then you'd need extra accuracy to hit them.. hmm.

There aren't really many ways to build a page, lol. If there ever is a point of argument, it will probably be whether to get PG or FA first but PG won't really save as much to be as useful as FA.

Well for now both ice and lightning are equally useless in regular training.. both are no where as near as efficient as fire is (aka I kill a dual in 3 or 4 hits for 1500 exp but kill a squid in 7-8 hits for 2200 exp. Vikings are 5-6 hits for 2100 exp but they shoot nasty stuff). I really want that Bain armory but if it doesn't come out soon I'll just tough it out to 120 on duals. I use Lightning on Papu (lol only hitting 8Ks at max) and gobies as well (for fun with friends, with my horrible kill rate the party would dump me for an ice mage). Ice for squids and Bonefish and if I'm feeling cheap during the viking fame quest.

If 4th job comes out I will update this with skill builds and other stuff but I don't want to post speculations about things I don't really know about in the guide. Anyways upon advancement to 4th you get 3 skill points. I'd fancy 1 rush, 1 holy charge, and 1 blast, all for flash. IDEALLY then I'd get advance charge, but since it drops from freaking zak (well thank goodness it doesn't come from horntail) and I don't envision myself fightning zakum all that often I might get holy charge first. Then beg to get into zak parties. Sanctuary has too long of a cooldown to be really useful, even at max you can only use it 36x in an hour. I'm thinking ideally 1 rush/holy charge/blast, maxed advance charge, maxed holy charge, maxed blast, maple hero, rush/stance, sanc, then whatever is left.

I might put in pictures, but I'm not sure how, because I don't want to clutter the layout. I'll think about it more.
- Bellocan
Kevynpy - 17x Bowmaster

#10 wowthisisfun

wowthisisfun

One Hot White Knight

• Official Member
  • 914 posts
  • IGN:Wowthisisfun

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:08 PM

Great guide loved it and covered many important things.

I suggest bolding your opinion in the skill part because it is hard to see.

Edit: Woot 800th post!

Edited by wowthisisfun, 28 September 2007 - 02:08 PM.

Level 3X F/p mage. Greying.

#11 FFTAmaster92

FFTAmaster92

Jr. Necki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • IGN:FireKaliber

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:56 PM

Also a question. Im still deciding on what weapon I should use. I was thinking about 2H BW because everything is cheaper and I will do more Damage With 2H. Although I have had people say that BWs are bad because of unstable damage and supposedly thats a TERRIBLE thing in 3rd Job.

OH Also I have a Doom singer that I think is Above avg that I would like to use.
Windia Characters
FireKaliber
MetalKaliber
AirKaliber

Mardia Characters
WindKaliber

My SinDit Guide.

If you are a person that doesn't like to follow guides that are a little bit off of the traditional path of things then DO NOT look that the guide above. All you will be doing is post something that will bash it and I really do not like it when people bash work of mine that I KNOW is correct.

#12 wowthisisfun

wowthisisfun

One Hot White Knight

• Official Member
  • 914 posts
  • IGN:Wowthisisfun

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE(FFTAmaster92 @ Sep 28 2007, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also a question. Im still deciding on what weapon I should use. I was thinking about 2H BW because everything is cheaper and I will do more Damage With 2H. Although I have had people say that BWs are bad because of unstable damage and supposedly thats a TERRIBLE thing in 3rd Job.

OH Also I have a Doom singer that I think is Above avg that I would like to use.

Typically 2h swords dish out more damage then a 2h bw. Even if you are poor now that does not mean you are going to be poor later on. Go bw if you are looking to be original, otherwise Swords >bw

Also in forth job the skill blast is a stabing skill. You will do more damage with swords then blunt weapons. If you plan on making it to the 4th job sword is a better choice.
Level 3X F/p mage. Greying.

#13 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:49 PM

If I'm not mistaken, blast still takes into account swing/stab ratio even if the animation is always a stab.

Kevin, you should also mention that swords have a better range than BW. Clearly the only disadvantage to swords is the price, but their advantages are so numerous that it is worth sacrificing nearly everything else for the extra cost of a sword.

Posted Image

#14 kevin y

kevin y

Drake

• Official Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

Oh come on. I wrote everything I know about weapon choice into the guide already.

And..

Blast is not a stabbing attack. Blast is NOT a stabbing attack. Blast is not a...

Get it? Even though Blast looks like a stab, in reality its just a stronger flashier Power Strike that can either use both the swing multiplier or the stab multiplier for BWs with a 3:2 occurrence ratio. I will probably make this even more explicit in the guide.

Edit: Oh right. I was wondering about BW range as well.. I'll have to check up on it later. Thanks for that.

Edited by kevin y, 28 September 2007 - 06:58 PM.

- Bellocan
Kevynpy - 17x Bowmaster

#15 igoran

igoran

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • IGN:Igoran

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:19 AM

Awesome guide and just what I was looking for! Incidentally I am building a page with BW skill and I hope to conitnue to use a 1H if only for the reason you stated is that you don't see many of them. I'm shooting for something unique. Keep up the good work. I am definitely adding this to my favorites!!

#16 kevin y

kevin y

Drake

• Official Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:58 PM

Just listing some things I need to work on:
- Add mask fish to the list of training spots
- Add a tips section
- BW/Sword range discussion
- Bold/italicize my opinions in the skill section

Will work on this when I've got spare time but don't feel like training.
- Bellocan
Kevynpy - 17x Bowmaster

#17 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:08 PM

Heh, you make me really want to make WK. But I have college apps and whatnot >_>.

I'll fill you in on lower level training spots if you want more. Early levels I mainly considered places where there were good drops, but then I found that I never got any good drops, so I headed for good exp. But the difference in being funded and unfunded is so large...

Posted Image

#18 Roxas

Roxas

Eliminate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • IGN:RoxasuXIII

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:29 PM

Truly thank you for this guide. I have been looking around for a decent and up-to-date guide for a long time now.

This should help my Page richly.

RoxasuXIII - 10x Hermit

[/center]

SaixVIl - 4x Page

[center]

#19 igoran

igoran

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • IGN:Igoran

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:51 AM

HELP!!

I lost the page build I had printed out and I can't find where I had gotten it! There doesn't seem to be one in WIKI anymore.

Edited by igoran, 07 October 2007 - 10:52 AM.

#20 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:08 AM

Um, the very first post contains a page build.

And yes, straw dummies are amazing. I get at least 24% an hour in the second map, which is inferior to the first map.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users