Photo

What language(s) are you learning right now?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
95 replies to this topic

#21 Soaa-

Soaa-

Ed's body... it's mine...!

• MT Awards Creator
  • 5433 posts
  • IGN:UnluckysparX

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:17 PM

It's kinda hard to learn a language without a goal in mind. What exactly are you trying to achieve? I tried learning C++ because I wanted to make a game. But that didn't work out too well. mush1k.gif

I'm currently learning/using PHP for my website, and I have a certain kind of functionality envisioned. I will have achieved my goal once my vision of the site will become reality, and by that, I will have learned a nice chunk of functional PHP.
Behold, I will corrupt your seed,
and spread dung upon your faces

Malachi 2:3

Still love you, muh friends. <3

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#22 Adam~

Adam~

Dip me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians.

• MapleTip Contributor
  • 1276 posts
  • IGN:Fallenkid

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:47 PM

Well, I want to learn C++ because I want to try to make a little game. Plus, I want to a Game Developer. But, I was thinking about HTML/PHP because I want to learn how to make my own website, etc.

x.X

Posted Image
errybody is invited. just ask.

#23 Winter Flower

Winter Flower

Professional

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2718 posts
  • IGN:YesPotatoes

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:03 AM

HTML is obviously the easiest of the four. YOu can go to www.w3schools.com to learn more about it.

PHP will require some sort of hosting server to work. You can either look for a free host or download XAMPP and make your computer the server. www.php.net is the best resource for finding PHP-related information, although there are code samples and snippets floating all over the internet.

For Java, you can download it at Sun's website. I'd recommend taking a computer science major, as Java is usually the language of choice in a lot of universities. It is a hard language to learn because it has a very steep learning curve, with all of its not-so-intuitive classes. Java's multimedia support is not stellar.

C++ is quite low level nowadays. You can find tons of compilers floating around the Internet. Dev-C++ is a good one, as it has a feature that downloads and installs useful libraries for you. C++ is unmanaged, meaning that you must do your memory management manually (as opposed to Java and PHP) and pointer logic can get particularly nasty. It's definitely not a beginner's language, but you can do pretty much everything with it.
Irrlicht is probably the easiest to use game engine around for C++ and comes with a few demos.

C# is Microsoft's language and the XNA framework is the game making API. It's a managed language (i.e. memory management is automatic). You can download Visual C# Studio and XNA from Microsoft's website and you can find tutorials here.

Edited by Winter Flower, 10 October 2007 - 09:08 AM.

Amidst the rocks and the gentle snow, I blossom.
p.s. I still like potatoes.

#24 NightFlurry

NightFlurry

Open Happiness

• Respected Member
  • 1758 posts
  • IGN:NightFlurry

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:28 PM

I'm quite proficient with HTML now actually and I've started getting to grips well with alot of CSS and some PHP too. Thanks to Manoz XD.

I'm not too sure about C++ And Visual Basic but I've been trying to leanr some stuff in Visual Basic at college.

I wanted to take Computing and Double Applied AS ICT But they wouldn't let me because I didn't have a high enough Maths grade. But, When I get a higher grade by next year, I may try and stay on another year or so to take the AS Computing to get more proficient and full understanding and knowledge in Visual Basic and maybe some C++. Ruby isn't something I'm looking into though.

-NightFlurry
Looking for Buddies on GMS Windia - Add: NightFlurry [Level 105 Priest]

#25 elfy_elf

elfy_elf

Ribbon Pig

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • IGN:Elfy99803

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:14 AM

Same here im not really learning HTML i actually know how to use it really good, i find typing a website easier than using Dreamweaver®, also CSS i use with DW.

RagnaroK OnlinE

#26 Winter Flower

Winter Flower

Professional

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2718 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:47 PM

*bump*

I started playing around with D, which is a high level, high performance language that reached 1.0 this year. I'm trying to get SDL and OpenGL running. So far, I can draw cubes, but the texture mappings aren't showing. Pretty cubes please mush1d.gif

#27 Soaa-

Soaa-

• MT Awards Creator
  • 5433 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:51 PM

Ahh, I've heard about D a while ago. Is it any good? o:

#28 Winter Flower

Winter Flower

Professional

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2718 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:36 PM

I'm not too proficient with it yet, but from what I read, it's a very well designed language, and it has a lot of really important stuff built right into the language itself, like auto-documentation, unit testing, versioning, etc. Also, it looks a lot like C++ and Java, so it's pretty easy to pick up.

D is definitely faster than other high level languages, because it compiles into optimized native code (like C), whereas C# and Java use virtual machines (slow), and PHP and Ruby, for example, are interpreted (even slower).

Also, it works with Windows, Linux and Macs, and there are a bunch of libraries available, so that's definitely a big win.

edit: oh and I got my cubes to look pretty. Yay go me mush1a.gif

#29 Soaa-

Soaa-

• MT Awards Creator
  • 5433 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:02 PM

Oh really, that's cool. I should (maybe) try making a game with it, but then again, I have absolutely no clue as to where to start.

#30 Winter Flower

Winter Flower

Professional

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2718 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:17 PM

Lol, start with with pong or space invaders, that's what universities usually do mush1k.gif

Installing D isn't terribly hard, it just involves a lot of reading to figure out what's what and grabbing things from different sites. Things you'll want to have for sure: the DMD compiler, the Build tool and Derelict's SDL library.

#31 Soaa-

Soaa-

• MT Awards Creator
  • 5433 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:28 PM

Hmm... I think I'll stick with C/C++ first. Maybe get SDL to figure out some stuff.

You know any good tutorials for game programming?

#32 Winter Flower

Winter Flower

Professional

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2718 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:47 PM

Hmm, if you only want 2D, then you'll find these SDL tutorials pretty helpful. OpenGL and 3D are a whole lot more complicated than that though ._.

#33 Soaa-

Soaa-

• MT Awards Creator
  • 5433 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:56 PM

Hehhh, if I have enough motivation, time, skill and devotion, which I probably don't, I could probably whip up a better BannedStory. I'd need to do some research to pull stuff right out of .wz files though.

#34 Winter Flower

Winter Flower

Professional

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2718 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:41 AM

if I have enough motivation, time, skill and devotion, which I probably don't, I could probably whip up a better BannedStory.

Isn't that true for everything? mush1k.gif
I don't think you need SDL for bannedstory, since it doesn't really need to be fast. I read Stephen on someone else saying that someone used Perl to extract the wz file a long time ago. I don't personally want to learn Perl though, and if you know regular expressions, you'll probably know why >_<

Anyways, I'm trying to learn about NURBS surfaces now (lolnurbslol). Hopefully I'll be able to make a Second-Life-like in-game modeling engine, though I seriously need to touch up on my matrix math @[email protected]

#35 Soaa-

Soaa-

• MT Awards Creator
  • 5433 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:50 AM

SDL would be practical for all the sprites and skills and all that.

The script to dump .wz files was a Python script, but what I need is a MapleDump-style system that can dynamically read them.

#36 Winter Flower

Winter Flower

Professional

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2718 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:25 AM

Ah, in that case, it might easier to just modify that script and get SDL bindings for Python.

#37 PurpleMadness

PurpleMadness

Oh yes doshin!

• Respected Member
  • 1576 posts
  • IGN:[GM]Pat!

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:08 PM

I'm learning Delphi (Object Pascal) at the moment. It's fun mush1n.gif I can make several programs with it.

Nostalgic sig. Because I can.

lightimage - 93 I/L - Broa
lightipirate - 61 lowdex Brawler - Broa

#38 Soaa-

Soaa-

• MT Awards Creator
  • 5433 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:54 PM

The script would need to be modified quite a bit, as it is a dumper right now, not a reader. The only thing useful for us in there would be the .wz decryption code.

#39 Neon

Neon

Wraith

• Official Member
  • 515 posts
  • IGN:Quit

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:57 PM

Currently frustrated with my lack of progress in VB.NET.

I've been rummaging though dozens of beginner tutorials but I haven't tried to make anything from scratch.
ur mum lol

#40 Soaa-

Soaa-

• MT Awards Creator
  • 5433 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:10 PM

VB is quite a cruddy language. Obsolete, slow, plain restrictive. mush1k.gif