v0.35+ Death Teddies for Hermits

#1 Seagull

Seagull

Invincible

• Respected Member
  • IGN:-None-

23 July 2007 - 07:02 AM

Current Version: 1.3

Note: This guide was designed for hermits without Flash Jump (FJ). However, it can easy be worked in. One of the important uses to Flash Jump is in moving from snipespot to snipespot, which can dramatically increase your rate of EXP, as well as escaping quickly from sticky situations.

Minimum Requirements: At least Lv.21 Shadow Partner, At least Lv.1 Avenger
Recommended: MAX Shadow Partner, Lv.2x+ Avenger, SOME Flash Jump

Disclaimer: There is no definitive way to train at any particular map. This is just my preferred method, and is here to give a few hints to fellow hermits. Figure out what works best for YOU, and stick with it. I am by no means an authority on Hermits or anything MapleStory for that matter.

Also on the matter of adhering to this guide, I don't anymore. I'm lv 88, and now I just utilize the snipe spots when there are massive mobs on the plats. This method is for hermits new to death teddies. Once you get these basics down, you can come up with your own attacking method. Also, if you're powerful enough to take care of a DT before it would wander over to a spot for you to snipe from, you have no reason to even be listening to this guide. Just plow through DTs and screw mobbing altogether.

All characters, monsters, names etc. are property of Nexon America, not me, blah blah blah.

-----

The NEW Death Teddies

If you've trained at DTs before, and have a fairly clear-cut method to killing them as it is, this is the only section that's going to be of any use to you.

Ever since version 0.35, the old "stand on the left end-bricks" trick has been removed, and the collision on the bullets that death teddies fire has been moved. The lethal end of the bullet has been reversed. See diagram.

This means that you can touch the rectangle part of the bullet without fear of taking a hit. It's the sparkley part at the end that you really have to worry about.

This gives way to a brand new way of attacking death teddies without taking damage- a trick that is in many ways more formidable than the old method, which only gave you a few inches of safety, and nowhere to run in case the monsters started approaching you.

When fighting a Death Teddy from a non-sniping spot, distance yourself far enough that it will just barely start shooting at you. (Once you familiarized yourself with this distance, it's easier to approximate). Once the DT attacks from this "threshold" distance, move the SLIGHTEST bit away from it, then about-face and keep attacking. If you performed this maneuver correctly, the bolt will fly past you with no harm done to your character.

Why? Because when Death Teddies fire, the distance from the shiny, dangerous part of the bolt (as explained earlier) is at it's absolute limit. Go even a pixel further than the firing point, and it can't possibly hurt you.

Why do this? This trick gives you a much longer time to destroy the monster before you get cornered. If you move-fire-move-fire while moving the minimal distance, you can take care of any mob in one fell swoop. In addition, if a few of the DTs aren't agro-ed to the point of firing, you leave yourself plenty of distance to keep moving away until they do.

If you have your own set-in-stone method to taking on DTs, then stop reading here.

-----

How to DT- xCad's way.

This is my map. If you follow my way, it'll be your map too. I've marked the sniping spots and crossover zones.

What's a Sniping spot?
A Sniping spot is a place to stand where you can freely throw stars all you want without any worries of being spawned on or being damaged from death Teddy Bolts. These are not universal safe spots. For most of these, if someone else agros a DT, you've got potential to be blasted. However, the possibility of hackers/invaders disincluded, spot A is completely safe.

What's a "Semi-Safe" Sniping spot?
Semi-safe means that things have the potential to spawn either on you or near you while you're trying to attack. In most cases these spots are completely safe, due to the way monsters spawn, just don't linger there any longer than you need to.

What's a Crossover?
A crossover is probably the hardest part of DT-ing. These are spots where the best strategy is to mob all the monsters, then slowly pick them off by luring them from one end to the other, back and forth, attacking all the time, until they are all gone.

Where do I start?
You can technically start anywhere you want, but I almost always start at point A. Just follow in alphabetical order until you get to "O", where it resets back to A.

-----

A

Start by using avenger on the far right of the platform with Snipe Spot "a" to agro all the DTs on the platform to the right. Then go back to the far left of the platform, and LS-away.

B

Avenger all the monsters that you safely can between snipe spot C and E. If you reach point E, head back to B.

Once at B, stay on the right-half of the platform and LS.

C

Follow the same method used for B, Avenger-mob up to point D and head back to C.

Stay to the left of the rope on the platform with snipe spot C, and LS.

D

Also known as the "sitting duck", you can snipe this one from spot D, or pretty much anywhere else in range. Just be aware of other spawns on the platform that CAN reach you.

E

Make your way back over to the left, and jump-attack from the designated point on the platform.

An alternate method would be to attack from the top-right, assuming there are no DTs on the platform you're attacking from. (If this is the case, skip "F".) Attack from the yellow ground, not the red.

F

After rounding up the DTs with good ol' avenger, make your way to the FAR left end of the left blue brick. You pretty much have to be standing on the very edge for this to work, but when it works it works well.

This one of the two instances where you MAY get fired at, but the bolt will miss you without having to move. You can also attack from the far-right platform, just make sure there aren't any DTs there first. Mob, then pin yourself against the far-right wall of the map, and snipe.

G

Head over to the right, and avenger once from the edge.

Walk back to the rope, and mob.

H

Climb up the rope above the platform with the "E" DTs, and stay to the left of the rope. Proceed to snipe away.

This is the second instance where the DT may fire at you to no avail.

I

Avenger mob (once again)

Head back to the platform with the DT you killed from point H, then walk off it as instructed in the diagram. Once off the platform, let go of the left arrow key.

You should land on the edge of the middle platform, where you may proceed to snipe.

NOTE: You can snipe from the platform without walking off it, but there is the possibility of a DT spawning there.

J

Make sure H's DT isn't spawning again, then avenger-mob.

Head back to the middle platform, and stay on the left half of the platform. Jump-attack!

K

This is where it can start to get messy. Dark sight up to the platform with the entrance on it, and wait for the DTs to separate themselves. Pick them off one by one, using basic bolt-avoiding techniques. While K is an excellent vantage point, this area is more or less a crossover. Only difference is, there's no safe spot to do the side-switching without the mobs following you.

It's easy to snipe off the DT sitting on Point L, just find which spot works for you. Jump-attacking from the left or right works.

Proceed to take out the DTs on the top-left platform by jump-attacking from the far right blue brick. Use avenger-mob techniques to hasten this process.

If you haven't already killed off the DT at Ma, Simple Sniping will work well. Use that red... thing as a guide.

You can also reverse this process- start from the top-left and work your way to the right. Pick off the DT at point L from Ma.

L

This spot is best used when attacking from the top-left to the top-right. Just stand here and chuck away to make all the DTs below you like sitting ducks.

Just be careful- a DT could spawn there any second.

Mb Note: Now that I can actually train at DTs, I don't use this anymore, because it's incredibly slow and there are so many other ways to take care of these. Nevertheless I'll leave it on the guide.

A slow, cowardly, but safe method to clearing the top-left platform, once again probably only should be used if you go from the left to right. Climb up the rope, jump to the left and attack to the right.

Rinse and repeat until no DTs remain.

Crossover N

I call this one my personal blind spot. Why? Because this is where I tend to use a few unagis. You're kinda stuck with a whole lot of DTs in a very small space. Nevertheless, it can be fairly bloodless if you are careful.

Mob as best you can, and then stick to either the left of right. Wait for the DTs to group under you, then vault off and proceed to use the basic bolt-avoiding techniques while slowly picking them off.

When you reach the right side, you may use a small window of opportunity and safely snipe from the red end brick.

You can only hit things as they pass through that white zone.

After finishing off the big group, get the one lone DT by sniping from the rope.

An alternate method, which is slowly becoming my preferred way, is to kill the lone DT FIRST, then use that small platform to avoid the bolts from the other DTs.

Crossover O

Fall down to the bottom left with dark sight, and wait for an open spot to the right of a group of DTs. Mob, then keep heading right. When you approach another DT in your way, DON'T ATTACK IT.

Rather, DARK SIGHT through it, and then attack from the right. (Level 10 Dark Sight can outrun a DT)

Repeat this mobbing technique until you reach the far right rope. Wait for the DTs to gather under you, and then jump over them to the left. (As a guide, wait for them all to be to the right of that hanging... goober thing.)

Basic bolt-avoiding techniques once again as you slowly head back to the left. If they aren't all dead by the time you make it back, get on the platform above their heads.

WAIT on the far left edge for them to all gather against the wall, then RUN and JUMP off the edge and go back to good ol' bolt avoiding. (If you have flash jump, you might want to use it here)

When they're all dead, head back to platform A, then repeat the process all over again.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Changelog:
4/13/07- Posted 1.0 on Site A
4/14/07- Updated Requirements, 1.1
4/16/07- Updated Requirements, fixed typos, 1.2
5/11/07- Reworded a few things, 1.3

7/23/07- Posted on MapleTip Forums, included information for experienced hermits.

Credits:
Nexon/Wizet- General Game-Owning/Maintaining stuff

Have a Question, Comment, Complaint or Suggestion? Please post so I can improve this guide. =P I'm not perfect, no one is, so I'm sure there's mistakes in here. Any tips from newbies and vets alike would be greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to put proper credit if changes are made to the guide.

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 PurpleMadness

PurpleMadness

Oh yes doshin!

• Respected Member
  • IGN:[GM]Pat!

23 July 2007 - 01:10 PM

This is a guide where you definitely see whatt the uses of FJ are. O_O
Nice guide, it might help when I ever get to hermit :+
(Why do I always read guides I don't neeeeed XD)

Nostalgic sig. Because I can.

lightimage - 93 I/L - Broa
lightipirate - 61 lowdex Brawler - Broa

#3 Rai

Rai

Send a happy tune ♥

• Respected Member
  • IGN:Highfly666

25 July 2007 - 06:30 AM

Okay, so... this is just training at a certain place, right?
We can breathe in space, they just don't want us to escape.

#4 Seagull

Seagull

Invincible

• Respected Member

25 July 2007 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE(Rai @ Jul 25 2007, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, so... this is just training at a certain place, right?

I don't know, does it look like it's for training at coolies for FoG?

Yes, this is only for the Death Teddy map, Lost Path of Time <3>, in Ludibrium.

#5 Septher

Septher

HAY JOE

• Respected Member
  • IGN:Septher

25 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

I printed this guide out the second you posted it on SW a few months ago.
I used it for my first week of DTing and it really helped me learn.

Great guide; any hermit here would find it helpful.
Pictures are also good looking/aiding

#6 Dudiez

Dudiez

TEH SLIMEKING!

• Members
  • IGN:Dudiez

25 July 2007 - 11:36 AM

I Train at DT and i dont meet the requirements and still get good percentage...
I got 2 minute SP so I guess 2 minute SP is ok?....
Cause DT with 2 SP is like 1.5x the XP i usually get from FoG....
IGN : Dadiez
Server : Bellocan
Level : 5X
Job : Bandit

#7 NubBeginner

NubBeginner

Alegria

• MapleTip Contributor

25 July 2007 - 12:54 PM

Nice guide, I'll consider it next time I train. mush1n.gif

Happiness is finding satisfaction in what you have and where you are.

#8 MattSnipdU

MattSnipdU

Retired Mapletip Member. Good Bye

• MapleTip Contributor
  • IGN:xOmegaAnsemx / xLegendLinkx

27 July 2007 - 01:16 AM

the level needed to train there, and death teddies stats would be nice,
I came and left and came back again.

#9 Ganx

Ganx

Jr. Necki

• Members
  • IGN:Merlock

27 July 2007 - 11:32 AM

thanks woot mush1k.gif mush1k.gif mush1k.gif mush1k.gif

#10 xSin

xSin

Lycanthrope

• Official Member
  • IGN:xSin

27 July 2007 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE(Omega Ansem @ Jul 27 2007, 03:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the level needed to train there, and death teddies stats would be nice,

High 70's to High 80's.
32,000 HP, I believe.

#11 mizzblue

mizzblue

Fat Virgin Bastard

• Mapletip Veterans
  • IGN:mizzblue

11 August 2007 - 01:51 PM

Ive read it a few times, and after my toured guide in-game I think I understand it better. ^^
Very nice guide. thumbsup.gif

2zfsrwp.jpg
Broa
mizzblue 82 Hermit | BishCookie 55 Beginner

Windia
Teasuh 60 Brawler

Loopedd.jpg
"If you cant defend a statement, why bother making one."

#12 sephibowman

sephibowman

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • IGN:sephibowman

29 August 2007 - 08:33 PM

Very nice guide. Itll help my dexless sin when I DT.

Bowman>mages, thieves, warriors

Everyone tries and fails...

Bowmen are so powerful...

Try to get a shot in...

I'm bored of my hunter, click here to claim.

#13 TheTaken

TheTaken

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • IGN:1DontThink

06 October 2007 - 12:30 AM

I should need this in like, 6 years.. once I get high enough to kill them teddies. ;<
^_^

CODE
Goals
- Gain level 10+ >DONE
- Gain level 20+

>NUDGE

#14 Perfection

Perfection

Maturity Mode On

• Official Member
  • IGN:HopeDreams

10 November 2007 - 04:42 AM

Oh sweet jesus what a big guide. I will definitely use this when I actually get to making my sin. Then getting it to level 80+. But still awesome guide!

Credits go to Aya.
(Wee Moka :3)

#15 Oakpack

Oakpack

Snails

• Members
  • IGN:oakpack4

03 December 2007 - 06:06 PM

What do you suggest for a Hermit who maxes SP then FJ? Avoid all large mobs/crossovers?

#16 HerAntiDrug

HerAntiDrug

Octopus

• Members
  • IGN:HerAntiDrug

04 January 2008 - 04:15 PM

1st post here for the new year ^^. Your guide is great, but i don't think you need 21 SP to train there and get good %/hour. As soon as you have 2 minute SP it will be the same xp, if not better than Zombies/FoG etc.
back in action!
10X dexless hermit <3

#17 Seagull

Seagull

Invincible

• Respected Member

11 January 2008 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(Oakpack @ Dec 3 2007, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you suggest for a Hermit who maxes SP then FJ? Avoid all large mobs/crossovers?

A late response, but instead of using avenger on mobs, just pick them off with normal lucky sevens. Avenger is still useful for agroing, and using the bolt-avoiding techniques, you can probably still take care of the crossover mobs with ease.

#18 RiceKing

RiceKing

Snails

• Members
  • IGN:LaongChuaa

11 January 2008 - 03:20 PM

Nice Guide, hope i will be a hermit some day, thx for the future help mush1k.gif