#1 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts
  • IGN:HolyOracle-Lv 90
  • Server:Bera

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:56 PM

So I decided for the benefit of all those who seek advice on places to train to make a guide that will do just that. And instead of making topics each time one levels up, they can simply look here for the next best place to train =)

A warning to you critics: it's a long and boring read, meant for those who needed a reference for only their level. Cheers.
Also, if any funny symbols appear, it is because I copy and pasted the stuff I wrote on word. I will begin proofreading everything once all the information is in.
Currently still under edit.

Cleric & Priest Training Guide

A Collaborative Guide

Last Revised: 4/12/08 4:29 PM CST

Table of Contents
I. Introduction
II. Getting Started
III. Monster List - A list of feasible monsters on which to train.
IV. Monster and Map Guide - The location and type of monster; shows effective map movement.
V. Training Suggestions - Suggested training monsters for fastest training.
VI. Boss Strategy Guide - Tips on how to take down the toughest monsters in the game.
VII. Monster %/Hour Survey - Gives the average percent per hour when grinding.
VIII. Cleric FAQ - Includes a quick list of monsters that you can effectively train through.
IX. Conclusion

List of Things to Do
- Add more to the monster and map guide.
- Add kevin y's suggestions to the training suggestions.
- Overall grammar.
- Add considerations on Zipangu and Evacuation site monsters (skelodogs, skeleton soldier, dark cloud fox, night ghost)
- Consider the haunted mansion...seems to hold good training spots.

I. Introduction

This guide was made to supply clerics and priests with one of the most important aspects of MapleStory: training spots. There is a quick reference and in depth suggestions, depending on how much advice you need. As of now, Global MapleStory is in version .38, thus some of the monsters in the other versions will not be included. I will however update the guide as soon they do come out in GMS. My name is Eric, my IGN on the Bera server is HolyOracle, and of course, my MapleTip name is Blade Oracle.
A little bit about myself: I've been playing MapleStory since the beginning of Beta, however long ago that was. I started out as a warrior guy, making a fighter and spearman, then got so incredibly bored that I made a cleric. Clearly this was a good choice because I've made it thus far to priest, and will try to continue to bishop. In the middle of all that, I've created an i/l wizard, an assassin, a hunter, a crossbowman, and most recently a page. I find that the only class that can compare to a cleric is, strangely, the page, who I will also try to bring to the 4th job. Anyhow, that's the bit of experience I've gained from this game, and however knowledgeable I may think I am, I definitely have plenty more to learn =). Now off we go!

II. Getting Started

I will be referencing Matt (GreenStriker) a lot, because he has a lot to reference. The following links are his own guides that are extremely helpful with not only understanding clerics, but understanding MapleStory. These links were taken from his signature.

Cleric And Priest Guide
-Probably one of if not the best cleric guide out there. He gives you common builds, specialized builds, and many more suggestions on how to build your cleric by the numbers. A must read for those just beginning.

Magician Clothing Guide
-Suggestions on what equips you should use and when. Helpful especially when deciding a weapon.

Survival Guide
-A guide for those who want to make sure they never die. Choose carefully which options apply at which monsters.

First off, be you a solo or party cleric, the training spots will nearly be identical, because you will be using heal as your main attack. The only difference between the two is that solo clerics can take a break from heal and hunt dark monsters with holy arrow. I don't really consider it training though because it is quite slow compared to places you can mob, but nevertheless, we shall be complete.

III. Monster List

The following table was taken from Matt's Cleric Guide. It basically lists at what level range some monsters become decent to train on. Clearly some are better than others, which is what the rest of the guide is for. This is to give you a general sense of the number of undead and dark monsters out there.

Solo Cleric Training Guide
*=with HA maxed, at 80, SR maxed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lvl 30-40 ::Zombie Mushroom, Jr. Wraith, Chronos
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lvl 40-45 ::Jr. Wraith, Zombie Lupins, Platoon Chronos
lvl 45-52 ::Zombie Lupins, Wraiths, Platoon Chronos, *Dark Leatty*
lvl 52-56 ::Wraith, Zombie Lupin, *Dark Stone Golem* *Malady*
lvl 56-70 ::Coolie Zombie, Soul Teddy, Master Soul Teddy, *Dark Yetti* *Dark Pepe* *Dark Jr. Yetti*
Third Job: (max SR recommended for most)
lvl 70-77 ::Klock, *Lucida* *Dark Yetti/Pepes*
lvl 77-83 ::Dark Klock, *Dark Yetti and Pepe* *Jr. Balrog*
lvl 83-100 ::Master Death Teddy, *Jr. Balrog* *Crimson Balrog* (SR recommended)
lvl 100-120 ::Phantom Watch, Grim Phantom Watch, Thantalos *Crimson Balrog*

Party Cleric Training Guide
*=with party
lvl 30-40 ::Zombie Mushrooms, Jr. Wraiths, Chronos
lvl 40-45 ::Jr. Wraiths, Zombie Lupins, Platoon Chronos, *Jr. Grupin/Lioner/Cellion*
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lvl 45-52 ::Zombie Lupins, Wraiths, Platoon Chronos, *Dark Stone Golem/Stone Golem*
lvl 52-56 ::Wraiths, Zombie Lupins, *Tauromacis/Wild Cargos*
lvl 56-70 ::Coolie Zombie, Soul Teddy, Master Soul Teddy, *Yetti/Yetti&Pepe* *Taurospear/Jr. Balrog*
Third Job: (max HS recommended) (Dragon Knight also recommended for higher monsters)
lvl 70-77 ::*Coolie Zombie* *Victoria dungeon* *Yetti/Yetti&Pepe* *Dual Pirate* *Master Death/Soul Teddy*
lvl 77-83 ::*Dual Pirate* *Ossyria dungeon* *Coolie Zombie* *Master Death/Soul Teddy*
lvl 83-100 ::*Zombie* *Ossyria dungeon (Bains/Cerebus)* *Gigantic/Spirit Vikings* *Master Death/Soul Teddy* *Grim/Phantom Watch* *Squids*
lvl 100-120 ::*Thantalos/Gatekeeper parties* *Gigantic/Spirit Vikings* *Crimson Balrog* *Zakum* *Palpatus* *Grim/Phantom Watch* *Squid parties* *Goby parties--DK required if you have less than 1.5k HP*

Diverse Cleric Training Guide
Any combination of monsters from the Solo and Party list.

IV. Monster and Map Guide

This is the quick reference section. Here I will list in order the monsters which give the best experience, their location, their picture, and a short explanation. Because undead (healable) monsters give the best experience, I will only be listing those, with only a few exceptions. The numbers indicate the path that you should take around the map. The levels represent your character level. All of these pictures were taken from Hidden Street.

The Right Side of Ludibrium Clock Tower
- Soul Teddy/Master Soul Teddy
- Death Teddy
- Master Death Teddy
- Grim Phantom Watch
The Flat Maps
- Wraiths
- Coolie Zombie
- Dreamy Ghost
The Unhealable Monsters
- Dual Ghost Pirate

The Right Side of Ludibrium Clock Tower
This place provides some of the best training for level 70+. Note that the levels I indicate are nearly useless; if you have a DK, the only thing that matters is the amount of HP you have, which will vary from person to person based on the amount of HP gear. Also, when I say party, I usually mean a party of a priest and DK, and nothing more.
The place you should train is based mainly on the priest's survivability. Clearly if you can't survive 1 hit, you can't train there. The second factor depends on the DK's level. If the DK is level 70-80, parties at DT are the best. From 80 to early 9X, MDT are the best. From mid 9X onwards, Grims will become the best training. But those are just general cases.

Soul Teddy/Master Soul Teddy
Solo Training (Level 58-70)

Forgotten Path of Time 1

Many of you might complain of the huge map, but if you get right down to the percentages, souls are as fast as zombies in the 6X, that is, 12%-15% an hour. The numbers not only indicate the path you should take, but also the exact place where you should mob. Of course, this is just my own playing style, but I think that it is these places that you can gather the largest mob. Platforms 2 and 8 are simply in the middle of the platform, as there is no more efficient place to mob them. For 1, 3, 7, and 9, you'll want to gather the mob below you so you will be able to constantly heal without getting hit, that is, knocked back. At 4, 5, and 10, you'll get hit by monsters as you mob, and need to be careful not to be knocked off or in a position that you can't hit every monster in the mob. And 6 is the bottom, meaning you'll gather the largest mob on the map. Hit every single monster once and hang on the rope right above the number 6 and wait for the mob to gather.
And that's how you train in the large souls map. Maxed teleport is of course helpful, so make sure you max it before or around 60.

Death Teddy
Solo Training (Level 70-80)

Forgotten Path of Time 3

This would be used for soloing purposes, although you could incorporate parts of it into party training. The numbers indicate the safe spots where you can spam heal. The letters represent the semi-safe spots where you can spam heal, that is, a monster may spawn in those places, but they're still good when mobbing. The platforms in red boxes are the places where you usually have to snipe, that is, if you don't have enough HP to mob without magic guard. The platform between 2 and D can be mobbed at D, but DT spawn often at D, making it more difficult and less likely that you will mob often in that way. So, simple as that. When you solo, mob first, then snipe the remaining platforms. If you have HP gear and can survive without magic guard, by all means mob when you can, but in order to gain enough HP, you'll probably have to use a maple lama or rescue tube, lowering your attack power greatly. Hence mob with your main weapon when you can.

Master Death Teddy
Party Training (Level 75-90)

Lost Time

A couple of extra features on this map, which may be useless, but no worries. I use the white numbers for location purposes, the green numbers indicate the usual number of monsters that will spawn on that platform if you follow a cycle, and the places in red circles are safe spots, which is to say you may be hit by projectiles, but you are safe once you gather a mob beneath you.

MDT maps are usually done in a counterclockwise cycle. The fall from 1 on the far left side of the map is clearly the most dangerous part of training (although killing the mob is kinda freaky sometimes). You fall and mob to 3 while the DK sometimes waits at the top. Once the DK thinks you've mobbed them all, they'll fall and kill the mob. The great thing about this is that you have to hit the monster in order for them to follow you, so you know you'll leech every monster. The DK may also opt for you to return the mob back to 2 so to let them walk less. This gives an opportunity for you two to regroup at the bottom left most red circle and recast whatever you need right before 30 odd seconds of killing the mob.
Some DK's follow the priest wherever they go. Thus when mobbing the bottom, the DK won't hit any monsters. Another option is for the DK to run across the very top platforms once the priest has fallen down to mob, because it usually avoids more monsters. Generally a DK that can kill MDT effectively is in the 8X, and you as a priest can start even in the late 6X, so you won't be leeching any experience from a monster you didn't hit. And so some DKs are considerate enough to not kill a monster unless you have hit it.
The rest of the path is pretty evident. Some DKs like killing the individual monsters that happen to spawn after killing the main mob so the loosen up the spawn on the rest of the map, and others say that it's not time-effective to kill individual monsters, and leave them be. Conform to how your DK likes to train.

Some final notes. When climbing up robes or ladders that are to the side of a platform, you have a chance of getting hit (you won't be knocked off). If you are ever hit, even if you've nearly reached the safe top, use a pot. I've died a number of times thinking that I'd reach the top in time, but then get hit a second time and thus die. Clearly I don't use HP gear =P
HS is not so slow a spell that casting it on the ground will mean instant death. Probably half a second after you cast HS, you've the ability to teleport (granted after you teleport, you're "stunned" for another half second or so). This means that you can cast HS and still avoid some monsters. This is usually done when the mob is to one side and HS is running out. Jump cast it away from the mob and then teleport away if you can; the DK can survive a few hits. Also note the range of HS and all your other buffs. HS begins with a pathetic range, but later becomes as great as bless (perhaps it follows the same range progression as bless, but I never really partied in those levels).

Grim Phantom Watch
Party Training (Level 75+)

Forbidden Time

The Grims map has very few options as to how to work the map. As you can see, it's perfectly symmetrical, so it doesn't matter which way you go. Commonly done in a clockwise manner though. We'll make 1 our base point because that's where you spawn upon reentering the map, and one of two safe platforms, the other one being at the very top. The vertical red lines indicate ropes, which are essential because they provide the only other safe spots.

The only part of the path of training that may differ between DKs is the bottom. Some will fall with you off the right side of 10 and follow you with the mob until 4, where the mob is killed. Others may wait for you to bring the mob back to 11. Others still might go down 2 and 3 without killing the monsters and split the bottom half and half. The path from 5 to 10 however is standard. Probably the most efficient path to take though is 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 4, 3, 2, repeat.

The Flat Maps
There is basically one way to transverse these maps: from side to side. Some may have a few platforms here and there, but it is always simple to navigate. Max teleport is especially useful because it speeds up your traveling and mobbing speed immensely. Should maps be shared, it is usually split down the middle. If you're acting mainly as a support, then you'll be going back and forth across the map.

Wraith

Coolie Zombie

Dreamy Ghost
Solo Training (Level 110+)
Party Training (Level 80+)

Encounter with the Buddha

Himes will make you fly through the early 8X, and will sustain you into the 9X. Worth 400 more experience than Grims and much faster to mob on the flat map, you can be sure to get up to 50% an hour at times, which varies depending on your level and the level of the DK, party members, etcetera. But in short, you'll hardly want to train anywhere else.

There are a few things to worry about though, the first being that the map is one flat stretch of ground and nothing more. No ropes, no other platforms, no safe spot whatsoever. That makes HSing and taking a break or doing anything else a bit difficult. You can go into the previous map with just Water Goblins for a breather, but anything else and it's back to town. Black Crow spawns there every 24 hours, which signals an immediate evacuation of the map. That's why there are some empty maps with a Back Crow running around; leave those to a large party of 120+ or so.

Apparently, both the Himes physical and magic damage are cut by invincible, so you don't need to worry about your level of ER. They will do around 1300 to you (physical damage is lower than magic) so you'll need HB or magic guard. Even with the cut in pot prices, magic guard training is still rather expensive, so just find a DK. It's easiest to find a suitable DK in Ludibrium.

It's very hard to find an empty map. It's also very annoying changing channels in the Water Goblin map because you get bumped really often. One good thing though is that you will never spawn in the Himes map (meaning if you logged out there, you won't have to re-login to an OHKO).

Now on to training. When in a party with just a DK, there are three ways to work this map. The slowest way (but the safest and most easy to get in the buffs) is where the DK stays in a corner and you mob all the monsters to the DK. Once the mob is killed, you recollect them, teleport back to the DK well ahead of the mob, rebuff, and repeat.
The slightly faster way is where the DK follows you after the mob is killed, and so you travel together to the opposite side of the map where you'll kill the mob, and repeat. Because of mounts, this is faster than usual.
The third method is probably the fastest, and is called a "middle mob." The DK will stay in the center while you mob the monsters back and forth from either side. The DK will generally do enough damage to the Himes passing through to gain the aggravation, and so can mob them in the middle. There is usually no safe period with this method, so whenever you need to cast HS and there's not an area of safety, cast magic guard first and turn it off after the spell is cast; an extra pot used is much better than death.

When in a party with a DK and a mobber (you won't be the mobber, it's usually a hermit) you will generally do a middle mob. You'll stand in the middle with the DK while the mobber lures the monsters back and forth. I generally don't like training like this because heal only hits at most 4 with the DK always around and when the mobber passes by, only 3. You probably won't leech as much as when you yourself were the mobber.

Training here might be a bit intimidating at first, but once you get into the flow of it, you'll soon see how amazing this place is. Definitely train here.

The Unhealable Monsters
There are places that offer good experience that heal with have no affect on the monsters. Thus you will have to leech by either casting SR once or by being at the leeching level. And so you will either spend more time attacking with SR or buffing the members of a large party.

Dual Ghost Pirate
Party Training (Level 82+)

- Low leech level (Sure gobies are 80 but bone fish, which leech at 92, are on the same map)
- No DK dependence because you barely get hit (use MG with no problems)
- Really safe map (lots of ledges, you can HS every party member from a ledge where monsters can't reach at all), good for priests that lag and die at DT/MDTs
- Weak touch damage (800~ ish with max invible) and no magic damage unless provoked (you won't need provoke them)

The map has 8 flat wide platforms. 4 attackers and 1 priest to a party. Priest goes up and down HS/Bless/Healing goby/squid style. Each attacker takes 2 platforms.

Classes to party: White Knights (yay), Crusaders, Fire Mages. Sometimes Chief Bandits are ok, Hermits can usually do platform 2 only (well a 12x hermit could probably take any platform).

Topmost spot has slowest spawn, spots 2 and 3 have good spawn, while bottom has really fast spawn (stick your strongest attacker on bottom).

V. Training Suggestions

Levels 30-40

Horned Mushrooms
Zombie Mushrooms
Boars
Fire Boars
Jr. Kitties
Evil Eye
Ludibrium Teddies
Chronos
Jr. Wraiths
OMG too many...

No matter what mage class you are, levels 30-35 will be exactly the same in terms of training. Your divergent skills are not developed enough to make them feasible for training, and so claw is your best attack. I suggest along with everyone else ant tunnel (horned and zombie shrooms, evil eyes) and wild boars. Money monsters would include fire boars and jr kitties, especially the sakura cellion. The teddies in the Terrace Hall in the toy factory also seem to be good experience.
Once you have heal to a decent level (lv 20+) you'll want to begin training with it. The earliest undead monsters aside from zombie mushrooms are jr wraiths and chronos. Both of these monsters have excellent drops, especially for their level, but chronos are preferred not only because of the type of good drops (including mystic shield, kumbi, tobi, and 10% wand att) but also because the experience there seems to be better. Note that both jr wraiths and chronos maps are quite large, so if you use teleport a lot, you'll definitely find a hole in your mp.

Levels 40-50

Ludibrium PQ
Chronos
Platoon Chronos
Zombie Lupins
Master Chronos
Wraiths

Now you're in the 4X, and heal is maxed. If you are a party cleric, you'll be maxing bless now. If solo, then holy arrow. Either way, Ludibrium Party Quest becomes a good source of experience and money. Does this whenever you can or want. For those of you who despise PQ or simply want to train normally, chronos are still good in the low 4X, and platoon chronos soon after. Zombie lupins were old favorites, and they still offer superior experience to their newer counterparts. The map is vertical, and because jumping is faster than walking, you'll find that you train extremely fast here. In the later 4X, you can do wraiths, which are excellent until even the early 6X.
Matt mentions dark leattys for those who have holy arrow pretty much maxed. I find that not only that the map is hard to maneuver because of the small platforms, but also that they are overall bad experience. Try it out when you're too lazy to buy and orbis scroll and are forced to walk the entire way down.

Levels 50-60

Orbis PQ
Master Chronos
Wraiths
Coolie Zombies
Dark Stone Golems
Soul Teddies

At 5X, you should now be maxing teleport or something like that. This allows you to get around those huge Ludibrium maps more easily. Begin to Orbis PQ if you want, although I've heard mixed reviews about it. You should generally stay at wraiths or platoon chronos, although you can soon move on to master chronos. Matt suggests DSG for those with maxed holy arrow, and I found them to be 10% an hour solo, which is decent. If you party with a thief, however, you'll get at least 5% more because not only do you have to circulate a smaller map, you also have haste.
In the mid 5X, you can finally venture to the dreaded zombies. Great experience in the 5X, you'll get upwards of 20-25% and hour with solo, and probably a bit less with a party. Mind you, these will become extremely dull, but at least you're getting good experience for your boredom. Maladies are pretty much like DSG, and no one trains there. A nice break from zombies for those with holy arrow. Wraiths are still a good option whenever you're in Victoria.

Levels 60-70

Orbis PQ
Wraiths
Master Chronos
Coolie Zombies
Soul Teddies
Death Teddies

Now at or near 60, your training at Ludibrium will be mainly master chronos. For those of you who look not at number of hits to kill and only to experience gained, soul teddies will slowly begin to match the good experience of zombies. And these monsters have higher level drops, making them slightly better in the end. I found that at level 66 or so, it is 1% per cycle around the map.

Enough about that. Though I personally suggest soul teddies, zombies are still excellent, and wraiths are still decent. Party at FoG if you want, but I'm sure its less efficient than at these undead places. Although Matt has written down those dark monsters on the Icy Path and Cliffs, its really not that great of a training place, because the dark monsters spawn slowly and among non-dark monsters.

Levels 70-80

Coolie Zombies
Soul Teddies
Death Teddies
Master Death Teddies
Grim Phantom Watches

WOW, you're now a priest =D Congratulations, you made it through the first hurdle. Brace yourself, because you're about to gain experience like never before.
A quick run through for you solo priests that max Shining Ray first--there aren't very many of you =P
SR isn't that powerful yet in the early 7X, so stick with heal at the usual places (souls and zombies). Once SR is powerful enough (mid 7X) and you have preferably a bit of ER, you can try lucida. Don't consider them if you have to sr-heal-sr-heal, but only when you can sr-sr-heal-sr-sr-heal. As a solo cleric though, no DK means no HB, meaning magic guard. Magic guard will be needed at dt and mdt until 80-85, and at grims until after you max ER. Use sr-heal-sr-heal.
As for the party cleric, you may have ventured a bit deeper in the clock tower and found the death teddies. Now as a priest, you'll have a better chance with them. You will find DKs relatively easily, as for some reason there is a lack of priests and an influx of DKs. For DKs below 80, DT's are usually the best place to train. DKs with near max or max fury/crusher can now kill MDT effectively, so you would preferably go there. Note that MDT will require at least 1 ER if you are below level 75. Now just how fast is this? Upwards of 30% and hour, which is very amazing. You will notice that each level will go by increasingly faster because not only do you leech more at a higher level, HS goes up, giving you extra experience each level, making up for the extra exp you need to level.

If you have 1 ER and something that gives you an extra 100 hp, you can go to grims as early as 73. The DK will usually be in the 9X, and so you will usually gain a bit less than at MDT (20-25%) but still very good. With max HS in the 8X, DKs of all levels will want to party you, and usually the choice is grims. Regular phantom watches have a worser map, spawn, and experience, so they are usually empty. Party there if grims are all taken and MDT aren't that effective any more.
Kill Crog and Thantalos for fun (8X+) but you can really train at boss or boss-like monsters now.

Levels 80 and Beyond
Now for some real priest advice, from a real priest =P. All of the following training advice is from Matt. This is for 8X and beyond.

Master Death Teddy
Grim Phantom Watches
*Squids*
*Gobies*

Oh just a note: Grim training also applies to anything in which you are in a party, and can HEAL to do damage. (Phantom watches, MDT's, DT's ect)
If you are a pure grim trainer from 8x-11x, note that you'll be able to gain experience without having to heal all grims after level 90. This especially benefits because when you are in a sin-dk-priest party, you'll be able to gain the sin's kills at the bottom. That combination of characters is usually the most common in grims, and you'll be going around usually in a clockwise direction around the map. Beware! Your HS has approximately a 1 second cool down. If you plan to cast HS in a grim spawn (not recommended) I suggest you do it when: a) there are no grims around or b ) you can teleport to a safe location. I recommend HSing on a rope because I've been killed by a spawning grim in a seemingly safe spot. Also note this, HS has a 120 sec lasting time, and you'll probably want to HS every 3rd of the map depending on how fast your attacker is. With a fast attacker (higher level, like 12x+), He/she and I can clear the map with only 2 HS casts, one at the top and one at the bottom. If you don't have a bottom attacker, I suggest HSing before you gather...which brings me to my next point. Gathering grims at the bottom; most of the time, the attacker will want you to gather grims, and you, the priest, are probably used to gathering monsters into a corner and healing...with grims, its no different. Make sure to keep a steady heal going in the mobs, and I always recommend getting a couple of safety charms if you have cash....believe me, those things have saved me a lot of lost exp and time.

Another location popular for the high level priest is aqua. In aqua, the priest cannot heal the monsters, and must rely on healing party members and going around the map HSing all constantly. (I call this HS training) It's much more boring than attacking monsters as well as healing, but the exp it brings in is phenomenal because you have more people killing more monsters. HS training includes the following places where priests are needed: Vikings, Ghost Ships, Squids, and a fan favorite: goby parties (includes bonefish, which you can heal)

Ok, I'll be talking about goby parties and squid parties. For starters, I suggest you get a party of more than 4 people with abilities in order to get a net GAIN of exp compared to grims. Aqua is a place where conveniently, you don't have to go jumping everywhere to get to people, you can just swim up and down.

Squid parties: if you plan to train in squid map 2 (deep sea gorge II) there is a way priests can train without having to be at the computer. This is called auto-hsing, and it is NEITHER a form of cheating nor hacking, but for the lazy priest with tolerant members. I won't tell you how to do it, but its pretty simple once you find out. HS training is very simple, wait for a minute on the large box in the middle (in sea gorge II, where they wont hit you) and then go from top to bottom HSing people. The more people you get in 1 HS, the less time you need to go up and down HSing. Remember to do this every so often because members will get aggravated when you forget to do it sometimes. Slowly, you'll see your exp bar rise.

Levels 90 and Beyond

Grim Phantom Watches
*Squids*
*Gobies*
*Spirit Vikings*
Dreamy Ghosts

Goby parties: A favorite place of many attackers is the place where many goby houses spawn. Gobys are reallllly annoying pink fish that get alot of exp if OKO'ed all at once (hence why attackers with multi-attack like them) and the exp for the priest is really great. One very important note: if you are not a blood priest, either get a DK to hb you all the time, or use MG. Bonefish (spawn in the map) have a magic attack that does 1.5k dmg with MAX ER and Bless included. Now I don't know about you guys, but I only have 1313 hp and I need a DK in the party so I don't waste pots. (Yes I've used maplestaff and headbands etcetera, I'm barely under the limit) Once a priest gets to 11xish, you don't need a DK to take that attack. The concept of training at gobies is very similar to training at squids, so I won't repeat myself there.

VI. Boss Strategy Guide

General tips for all bosses:
-Always have MG on
-Make sure your connection is good and that your comp doesn't lag under extreme circumstances (Zakum 3rd body)
-Bring more mp pots than is needed
-Make sure your party is able to kill a boss, heres the ideal level for priests and attackers for each boss:
Pianus: A party of 6, attackers 11x+, 12x+ Dk, Priest level 10x+ (high 90's work too)
Zakum: 5 parties of 6, attackers 12x+, Dk 12x+, Priest level 10x+ (max dispel needed)
Papulatus: A party from 3-6, attackers 11x+, Dk 11x+, Priest level 9x+
GPQ: Either 1-2 parties of 6, attackers 10x+ Dk, 11x+, Priest level 9x+ (or high 8x)

Less attackers=must be higher level attackers.

A DK is almost assured in every boss fight you plan to have. Hermits, Chief Dits, Rangers, Snipers, Crusaders, Pages, and Mages are optional...but a boss party of 3-6 MUST have both a Priest and a higher level DK.

What you, the priest, should have at 9x-10x
Max HS
Max ER
Max or in the process of maxing Dispel

Palpatus (GreenStriker)

Pap is actually not a very hard boss. Sometimes, one has to be more patient with a lower level of attackers, but once its done a couple of times, the process becomes a snap. Pap basically floats around a small map casting dispel, 1/1, stuns, and AOE damage. Here are some tips for Pap
--Always have MG, Invin, and Bless on (and HS for later in the battle)
--Pap has a dispel, knocking all of your abilities out. When this happens, the Dk will probably Hb the party, and at the same time you should instantly cast MG to save yourself
--Pap is easier than Zakum in that when he 1/1's you (your hp and mp go to one) Pap goes into lock down for a couple of seconds (doesn't attack or move, can't damage you...but the party can't damage him) When he does this, use an mp pot and heal and MAKE SURE there are no bombs around that can explode
--Thankfully, Pap's bombs were dumbed down from the last patch (they did 8k exploded randomly) Now they do 4k and only explode after 1 second of touching a character. Normally, you don't have to worry about killing bombs because a hermit will FJ over them and cause them to explode...however, make sure someone kills them in case pap casts 1/1 or dispel on you.
--When pap knocks your party into a corner, either teleport through him (you'll take about 3k dmg) or wait till he 1/1's to teleport past him. Sometimes, you'll be split from your party, but they should be good enough to know to use pots when your not near them. Try to get back to them safely asap.

What to do for what attack: (besides the obvious constant healing)
1/1: use either an mp pot and heal, or use a pink/purp pot
Dispel: instantly cast Mg and invincible or bless when you have the opportunity
Bombs: aviod them, make sure they don't explode on you
Stuns: try not to get hit by pap, wait till the stun wears off (YOU CAN NOT DISPEL STUNS)
Slow: Dispel a slow, that simple....it doesn't really bother you anyways
Generic lightning attack: Doesn't do alot, only like 1k dmg-ish, heal and mp pot

Pianus (GreenStriker)

Not the most popular boss due to the fact about massive damage, and losing full % when you die. The drops I can't say are better than pap, but if you get lucky, they almost rival them. Pianus isn't a popular choice for many reasons, but here are some tips if you have a good party and tons of pots.

--Bad news, some attacks like the laser, and the anvils (most of the time) are unavoidable, take the damage and pot
--Aviod the Blood bombs, they do 2k touch damage, and 8k when they explode, have an attacker deal with them
--Pianus has dispel and 1/1 just like pap, but does NOT go into lock down...giving you less time to pot and heal, so be aware of that health meter at all times

Attacks:
1/1: See pap
Dispel: See pap
Stuns: See pap
Anvils: random, but if you can avoid many falling from the sky, try...they do around 4k
Blood Bombs: AVOID! Do NOT attack them
Lazer: Unavoidable, take the damage and pot, make sure you have MG on at all times
(might be forgetting some attacks)

Ergoth (kevin y)

I find Ergoth to be a really annoying boss. Here's what you can expect from it (and its statue friends):
- 1/1 attack
- summon minions
- summons little necromancers that smack you for 3.7k-ish
- normal magic attack (~1k iirc, no biggie)
- lock skills
- defense up
- magic defense up
- dispel
- poison
- around 2k touch damage
- heal

Most of the annoyance come from the lion/knight statues. Ergoth on its own is pretty easy to take down. The attacks I've seen when Ergoth was on his own are 1/1, summon minions, heal, normal magic attack, and the little necromancers attack.

The best way to kill it is to blow it up with a CB who has max meso explosion. 400k will suffice if it doesn't use defense up. However, if you fight it the normal way, there are a number of things to keep in mind:
- Have a decent lvl of dispel. Very useful for when it seals up your skills. Also if you get poisoned, dispel it right away. Matt mentioned something about instant death from poison. This happens because poison whittles your HP constantly, unlike other attacks which give you an invincible period after you get hit. When you are poisoned and Ergoth casts 1/1 on you, there is a good chance of you dying due to not being able to heal/pot in before poison reacts again.
- Watch out for MG getting dispelled. It's pretty hard to keep track of, because you will probably be up front, unlike at pap where you can stay back. Try not to stay on top of anything, because dispel + bump = instant death
- If you die you lose 1% and you can come back. At least 1 person has to be in the boss room at all times or else you get kicked out. If you have enough people, a back up team staying near the entrance could help clear up necro spawns.
- Ergoth is resistant to all elements. As a priest the best way to deal damage to it is heal + dragon. Me and a fellow 10x priest Rose88 actually once healed him to death from around one-third HP because our initial plan to explode it didn't finish him off due to the CB having lvl 1 meso explosion.

Alishar (Derrek)

Some general tips :

1) Don't even try the boss when you're party is <40.
Before you start the PQ, look at the levels and jobs of your party. Hunters and sins make good combat >40. Also bandits are OK with savage blow. Warriors are worthless until late 4x's.
If you enter the boss stage with a low party you will only end up losing a lot of pots.
It's also useless to have 2 clerics in 1 party.

2) Have Magic Guard ON at all cost. Have some good MP pots in handy, I suggest Pure Water ++..
Also make sure you have Holy water. This is very crucial, because Alishar tend to seal you up a lot, and you're party will blame you when you're not able to heal. He also lowers your accuracy, but since you're a mage this doesn't matter. Seal and darkness are the only things Alishar does. Apart from that, he cast magic and summons chronos/platoon chronos/master chronos, which you can heal. Hunters will usually use bomb arrow on the chronos to stun them.

3)Try to stay out of the damage range, but in the heal range of your party. When sins/hunters summon Alishar, it will always spawn on the same spot. Use teleport or jump+heal to heal your party efficiently. Don't try to attack Alishar, unless you know you're party is OK. Claw won't do much damage anyway. Most parties will want you to spam heal. I just healed when necessary.
Alishar moves trough the whole room, there are no safe spots. If you get locked up in a corner, use teleport and take the melee hit.

4)If you have bless at <10, ask the party first if you can cast it. Dedicated warriors will use sniper pills at the boss, which gives them 10 accuracy. Bless cancels the pill.

5) With an experienced 45+ party, the battle should take less then 1 minute.

6) Good luck !

VII. Monster %/Hour Survey

Basically I want you, if you're a cleric or priest, and if you're not to ask a cleric or priest friend, where they train and what % per hour they get there. Simple as that. The information I'll need are: level, monster, % per hour, and any extra information such as if they're soloing, if they're in a party (and if so, what class they party with), etcetera. Hopefully this will help people with training places when given actual numbers.

Please post statistics in the original topic found here.

I'll put the max percentage that you give.
Items in red are disputable.
Extra information of Clerics is indicated by MAtt because these are mostly solo training. As a priest, I assume that there will be a main attacker while you are mainly support.

CODE

Level Monster %/Hour Extra Information
42 Zombie Lupin 25 242 MAtt
43 Zombie Lupin 26 247 MAtt
44 Zombie Lupin 23 252 MAtt
45 Platoon Chronos 20 267 MAtt
46 Platoon Chronos 18 273 MAtt
46 Sakura Cellion 18 271 MAtt
47 Platoon Chronos 18 277 MAtt
47 LPQ 7/PQ 41-47 Party / 277 MAtt
48 LPQ 20-30 45-50 Party / ~6 minute PQs
54 Wraiths 12 327 MAtt
55 Zombies 12 334 MAtt
58 Zombies 13 346 MAtt
61 Zombies 20 365 MAtt
76 MDT 15 8x DK / Lv. 14 HS
77 MDT 17 9x DK / Lv. 17 HS
78 MDT 17 8X DK / Lv. 19 HS
83 Gobies 12 8X-90 Party
86 Himes 22 10X DK

VIII. Cleric FAQ

I've decided to start a cleric FAQ, mainly just to organize things that are asked in the cleric question topic. I will add information as I see or remember them, or as someone mentions or asks them.

- Quick List of Training Monsters
- Why Cleric?
- Holy Arrow Versus MP Eater

Quick List of Training Monsters
Basically, if you can kill the monsters effectively, train there. Listed about in the order of monster level.

Jr. Wraiths
Chronos
Zombie Lupins
Platoon Chronos
Wraiths
Zombies
Master Chronos
Soul Teddies
Death Teddies
Master Death Teddies
Grim Phantom Watches

Why Cleric?
The Cleric is a versatile and volatile class. You mostly solo train in the 2nd job, nearly have to survive on partying in the 3rd job, and can do just about anything in the 4th job. Damage wise, clerics do the lowest of all the mages, and even perhaps every class. However, due to the godliness of heal, clerics are among the fastest if not the fastest trainers. Along with this, heal saves pot money, and thus clerics eventually end up with more money than most other classes.

The majority of lower level clerics are used as money makers. But because they level so quickly, they may very well surpass one's main character. Once a cleric reaches priest, their powers are increased dramatically in buffs and somewhat in attack. While being the most difficult class to kill in the 2nd job, priests further their defense in magic (which was already exemplary) and thus become one of the easiest classes to keep alive. Once a bishop, they further their magic defense and quite frankly become the highest damaging attacker in the game. With genesis, should the monsters allow, a bishop can hit over 80k damage on 15 dark/undead monsters, making for 1.2 million damage every 3 or so seconds. Ultimately, the cleric, priest, and bishop all excel in their respective jobs, and the bishop tops it all off with one of the best skill sets of every other class.

Holy Arrow Versus MP Eater
Here is basically all you need to know about the Holy Arrow and MP Eater controversy. Hopefully it will help you decide which you want to max and ultimately your final cleric build, because most clerics end up deciding between these two skills.

Holy Arrow: This arrow is a bit weak, yes, but its strength is multiplied from its base of 80 to 120 against a dark or undead monster. Clerics usually train on such monsters, so they will usually get this bonus. This makes holy arrow much more powerful than claw. It is also a fact that holy arrow is stronger than magic claw on every other monsters, except certain "holy" monsters (the only ones I can think of are the pixies, and perhaps boogies). The explanation for this? Claw is two attacks of base 40, and holy arrow has a base attack of 80. Although it seems that they will do the same damage, the magical defense of the monster cuts your attack twice with claw (because it is two attacks) and only once with holy arrow, thus making arrow stronger. And being one attack that is doubly as powerful as claw, holy arrow has the advantage of knockback.
Now we can compare holy arrow to skills such as shining ray or heal. Compared with shining ray, holy arrow clearly is faster and has a better range, though it can only hit 1 monster and is less powerful. Thus the advantage of holy arrow over shining ray is that it is much safer to cast, and makes for a better finisher on 1 monster. The range also allows sniping on those safe spots in Ludibrium platforms and what not. The advantage over heal is that it is stronger, and again safer. You can telecast holy arrow, but now heal. Heal though is much faster.

Mp Eater: Mp eater is a rather cool skill: it drains mana from the monster you attack (with a magic attack). Clearly it is useless against monsters with no mana, but that's not a problem because these monsters are usually very low level. At max level, mp eater need only activate 4 times to completely drain all the mp from 1 monster. Thus in the higher levels, the monster with the powerful magic attack can no longer attack with its magic, and rendered nearly helpless (although this means they will just try to run you down). With a DK party though, this is great because the DK won't be knock backed, and will be able to do more damage, thus killing faster, thus getting more experience. This is the secondary use of mp eater, although it is nearly better if not better than the primary one. The primary use of mp eater is to save money on pots, or simply to save money. Mp pots are rather expensive, and with max mp eater, you will soon find that you will hardly use pots, if at all. Not only will it save you millions, it also, though negligibly, speeds up training because you don't have to worry about pots.
With that being said however, even with max mp eater, you must always carry pots at all times. Mp eater won't save you if you're using magic guard, and there will always be emergencies.

IX. Conclusion

This is all I have! Ask questions or suggest things and I will keep my post updated. If the format is too wordy (which it is) I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how I would fix that. PM me for suggestions for the readability problem. Good luck to all you clerics-- you'll reach priesthood with patience. And good luck to all you priests, because I know some of you will stick around to glorify the name of bishop =).

Credits
There are three main people helping me with this guide, and they all deserve the same if not more credit than I. By their forum names: GreenStriker, Winter Flower, and kevin y. Without you three, this guide would have remained the empty shell of my creation. Thank you all for your endless knowledge. And of course, there are many more people that have helped with this guide, too many in fact to name, but this guide should be seen as a collaboration, belonging to everyone who uses it and no one person in particular.

~fin

Posted Image

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 ashin13

ashin13

Wraith

• Official Member
  • 514 posts
  • IGN:Time will tell.
  • Server:Windia

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:21 PM

Wow great guide! This should be stickied xD. It has helped me a lot with my training spots. Good job!

#3 Winter Flower

Winter Flower

Professional

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2718 posts
  • IGN:YesPotatoes

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

Nice guide! mush1z.gif

Just a couple of things: maybe you could fix typos like "Lucidia" and "Thantalos" to make it easier for people to find them in the databases, and also add the excavation site monsters and KFT foxes (they're dark).
Amidst the rocks and the gentle snow, I blossom.
p.s. I still like potatoes.

#4 greenstriker

greenstriker

Ninja-Mod

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2579 posts
  • IGN:SunMage
  • Server:Scania

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:01 PM

I like those opinions, its a great addition! Also, for those 10x+ levels--I can answer alot of your questions as I plan to be 11x soon and know where all of the priests train.

If you want my advice for 10x+, Eric, feel free to add this.

Oh just a note: Grim training also applies to anything in which you are in a party, and can HEAL to do damage. (Phantom watches, MDT's, DT's ect)
If you are a pure grim trainer from 8x-11x, note that you'll be able to gain experience without having to heal all grims after level 90. This espicially benefits because when you are in a sin-dk-priest party, you'll be able to gain the sin's kills at the bottom. That combination of characters is usually the most common in grims, and you'll be going around usually in a clockwise direction around the map. Beware! Your HS has approxamitly a 1 second cooldown. If you plan to cast HS in a grim spawn (not recommended) I suggest you do it when: a) there are no grims around or b ) you can teleport to a safe location. I recommend HSing on a rope because I've been killed by a spawning grim in a seemingly safe spot. Also note this, HS has a 120 sec lasting time, and you'll probably want to HS every 3rd of the map depending on how fast your attacker is. With a fast attacker (higher level, like 12x+), He/she and I can clear the map with only 2 HS casts, one at the top and one at the bottom. If you don't have a bottom attacker, I suggest HSing before you gather...which brings me to my next point. Gathering grims at the bottom; most of the time, the attacker will want you to gather grims, and you, the priest, are probably used to gathering monsters into a corner and healing...with grims, its no different. Make sure to keep a steady heal going in the mobs, and I always recommend getting a couple of saftey charms if you have cash....believe me, those things have saved me alot of lost exp and time.

Another location popular for the high level priest is aqua. In aqua, the priest cannot heal the monsters, and must rely on healing party members and going around the map HSing all constantly. (I call this HS training) It's much more boring than attacking monsters as well as healing, but the exp it brings in is phenominal because you have more people killing more monsters. HS training includes the following places where priests are needed: Vikings, Ghost Ships, Squids, and a fan favorite: goby parties (includes bonefish, which you can heal)

Ok, I'll be talking about goby parties and squid parties. For starters, I suggest you get a party of more than 4 people with abilities in order to get a net GAIN of exp compared to grims. Aqua is a place where conviently, you don't have to go jumping everywhere to get to people, you can just swim up and down.

Squid parties (recommended 8x or higher): if you plan to train in squid map 2 (deep sea gorge II) there is a way priests can train without having to be at the computer. This is called auto-hsing, and it is NEITHER a form of cheating nor hacking, but for the lazy priest with tolerent members. I won't tell you how to do it, but its pretty simple once you find out. HS training is very simple, wait for a minute on the large box in the middle (in sea gorge II, where they wont hit you) and then go from top to bottom HSing people. The more people you get in 1 HS, the less time you need to go up and down HSing. Remember to do this every so often because members will get aggravated when you forget to do it sometimes. Slowly, you'll see your exp bar rise.

Goby parties (recommended 9x or higher): A favorite place of many attackers is the place where many goby houses spawn. Gobys are reallllly annoying pink fish that get alot of exp if OKO'ed all at once (hence why attackers with multi-attack like them) and the exp for the priest is really great. One very important note: if you are not a blood priest, either get a DK to hb you all the time, or use MG. Bonefish (spawn in the map) have a magic attack that does 1.5k dmg with MAX ER and Bless included. Now I don't know about you guys, but I only have 1313 hp and I need a DK in the party so I don't waste pots. (Yes I've used maplestaff and headbands ect, I'm barely under the limit) Once a priest gets to 11xish, you don't need a DK to take that attack. The concept of training at gobys is very similar to training at squids, so I won't repeat myself there.

Once a (non-blood) priest gets to 11x, they can probably begin soloing places like grims if they have maxed Dragon to help them out.

Btw, I can't pin my guide because Life won't allow guides to be pinned.
Cleric/Priest Guide<<<<still a good resource!
Posted Image
Sig: ychamp------Avatar: Tichy
SunMage-level 118 priest --RIP in question
Koyoku-level 63 spearman --RIP

Quit MS but I'm semi back with no friends on the server. (Scania) Don't know if i'll be playing a ton though.

To all members I knew: it was a truly memorable experience to get to know all of you through this. I personally hope you all have great experience while walking on the beaten path of life.

#5 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:18 PM

ah, excellent. thanks a lot matt =) i'll add your stuff after i finish finding all these maple weapon stuff >_>
i'm indeed not familiar with aqua training at all, and with training on the left side of the clock tower, so your words are indeed invaluable.
i will also fix the names too.

on the matter of pinned things, hopeless's dk guide is pinned o_O not that i'm trying to get it unpinned, as it is probably the best dk guide i've read.

Posted Image

#6 ashin13

ashin13

Wraith

• Official Member
  • 514 posts
  • IGN:Time will tell.

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:28 PM

Wow haha nice new information. Then again I've never heard of auto-hs training. I should try and figure it out....xD

#7 greenstriker

greenstriker

Ninja-Mod

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2579 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:00 AM

Cool, I'll add this to my sig, and see what I can do pinning-wise.
Posted Image

Quit MS but I'm semi back with no friends on the server. (Scania) Don't know if i'll be playing a ton though.

To all members I knew: it was a truly memorable experience to get to know all of you through this. I personally hope you all have great experience while walking on the beaten path of life.

#8 Winter Flower

Winter Flower

Professional

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2718 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:09 AM

I've soloed grims since my mid 90's without hp gear, but since I'm only healing, the exp isn't as high as a good squid party. By begin soloing at grims at level 11X, do you mean that it becomes more efficient than aqua because of maxed SR+dragon?

Edited by yespotatoes, 03 May 2007 - 01:11 AM.

#9 Spoinky

Spoinky

Pianus

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3856 posts
  • IGN:Scorwix
  • Server:Kradia

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:39 AM

Great guide, try adding pics now... it helps with training spots and how to.
I/L Mage Questions!

Trying to revive on MS

#10 jockyjockjock

jockyjockjock

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • IGN:Randomnesss
  • Server:-None-

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:16 PM

nice guide eric ^^

#11 greenstriker

greenstriker

Ninja-Mod

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2579 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(yespotatoes @ May 3 2007, 12:09 AM)  
I've soloed grims since my mid 90's without hp gear, but since I'm only healing, the exp isn't as high as a good squid party. By begin soloing at grims at level 11X, do you mean that it becomes more efficient than aqua because of maxed SR+dragon?

Yes. After that, you'll be doing alot of damage by gaining more int per level. Its about 3000 exp per grim with HS at a fast rate. Some priests also act as a bottom killer for parties once they get high enough.
Posted Image

#12 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:59 PM

ok, here's what my update will contain (i'll update later tonight...lots of work now >_<) adding matt's suggestions of course, fix some of the names of monsters to match the current ones, and begin to add mini map pictures with numbers indicating the path you should follow for fastest experience. most of these will be ludi maps, as they are very large. and what more can you do than jump and tele up and down a zombie lupin tree? =P
i'll also label the levels so one can more easily find the suggestions for their level.

btw matt, i do truly hope you're ok with me putting your stuff in here (your own guide stuff). if i somehow miss giving you credit, do tell me.

Posted Image

#13 greenstriker

greenstriker

Ninja-Mod

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2579 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:22 AM

You give me alot of credit already, and I really appreciate it. I'm glad you answer so many questions from members who have them. I really and truly am grateful for your help on these forums. =)

I'm thinking about pinning this, as well as my guide. The problem with that is we alreay have many many pinned topics, and other people will want their topics pinned. I'll see what I can do...what I might also do is take out the training section of my guide and post a link to yours because my information is in here and is updated by one who knows a cleric hands down. As long as the credit is in there, I have no objections for you to use it.

Oh, Eric, I'm going to talk about healing at both zak and pap (and mabye pianus) so get ready to add that if you have the time. (and I have the time for that matter)

Some other things to talk about (never been on ludi pq)
ludi pq
guild quest
mushmom (haven't been there in awhile lol)
balrog
crimson rog (I can probably talk about balrog and crimson rog)

Posted Image

#14 kevin y

kevin y

Drake

• Official Member
  • 589 posts
  • IGN:kevinpyr

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:26 AM

Hello there. I've browsed these forums for a long time but am a very infrequent poster. I remembered back when I was a cleric I read some of greenstriker's guides and I found them to be quite useful, so thanks for that. However, there are a few corrections/comments I'd like to make on your/greenstriker's post, as well as some other priest related topics I'd like to touch upon.

First and foremost, the level you need to be to be able to get exp from a monster without damaging it is the monster's level - 5. So if a monster is level 85 (DTs for example), you will gain some exp if a party member kills it without you touching it only if you are level 80+ (or if someone within 5 levels of you damaged it). With that said..

If you are a pure grim trainer from 8x-11x, note that you'll be able to gain experience without having to heal all grims after level 90.

This used to be true, when grims were level 95 monsters. Unfortunately, 2 patches ago grims were buffed up (HP and avoid was increased, etc.) and now they are level 99. Therefore, you need to be level 94 now before getting experience from a grim you didn't heal.

Squid parties (recommended 8x or higher)

Black squids are level 94 and Risell squids are level 97. Therefore, to get full share experience from the party you need to be at least level 92.

Goby parties (recommended 9x or higher)

On the contrary, gobies are level 85 and bone fish are level 92. The exp from bone fish pales in comparison to the exp from gobies, so training at gobies can be started as early as level 80 (earliest level to able to leech goby exp).

Surviving 2 hit-kill training:

Getting 2-hit killed is a big part of a priest's training routine, as you'll get 2-hit killed by almost every trainable monster in ludi (DT, MDT, Phantoms, Grims, Pirates, Duals, Spirit Viks and Gig Viks). A priest is usually introduced to this once they have a decent level of HS and duo undead monsters with a DK, and continues throughout every training routine a priest goes through in ludi. It's very daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's actually one of the exciting (but potentially frustrating.. ugh lag spikes) aspects of priesthood. Some tips I discovered through experience:

- Don't look at your HP bar. Keep in mind that you'll ALWAYS get killed in 2 hits. Therefore it doesn't matter whether you have 50 or 500 HP left after the first hit. Sometimes priests refuse to train without a DK at these monsters because they don't want to see their HP drop to such a thin sliver although it doesn't matter when even with HB you get 2-hit killed anyways. Just remember to heal after every bump and you should be fine.

- Don't spam heal. This may seem counter-intuitive, but spamming heal (at least for me) in a mob of monsters while your DK/whoever you are training with is wailing away at the mobs actually makes you feel like you are hanging onto dear life. Spamming heal and getting tossed around in a mob makes you lose control of your character, relying on the DK to clear the mob before you heal too late and die. Instead, reposition your character (using tele for instance) or attack (use SR, maybe HA) in between heals. Doing so makes training much more exciting and lets you deal more damage, which kills the mob faster and sometimes nets you the big part of the exp. More on training with SR later.

- Avoid taking damage. Again, this may sound stupid, because you can just heal the damage you take away, but avoiding damage helps greatly. You never know when you might lag, so if you didn't get hit in the first place you may escape death. Also avoiding damage means you have to heal less, giving you time to attack more. To avoid damage use teleport. Tele around monster projectiles, time teleports so you pass through the monsters exactly, tele onto a safe ledge from where you can attack, etc.

- Use tele when mobbing. Teleport lets you mob very fast, incomparably fast to when you just spam heal and jump through the bottom of the map. However, you need to be careful as teleport has a lag in which you cannot heal. A trick I use is to bump into the monster, immediately heal, then immediately teleport through. There is a period of invincibility after you get hit which you can use to teleport without fear. Do not, however, use teleport EVER when you are one hit away from dying. Always heal first before teleporting anywhere.

- Climbing up ropes. So you mobbed the DTs from the bottom right corner to the bottom left corner. Now you want to climb up the rope at the bottom left and snipe heal from there. This isn't easy considering the mob of angry DTs tossing you around. To climb the rope, get hit by a DT near the rope, immediately heal, then jump up the rope and hold up. You may get damaged on your way up, but if there aren't any monsters on the platform you're climbing to just heal once you reach the platform. Climbing up a rope to a platform with monsters on it is harder as you need to make sure you are at full health before the climb. Lure the monsters away from the rope, then make a beeline for it using teleport, healing after every hit. If you get hit on the way up, jump off the rope and heal and try again.

Tips on using SR in a mob:

To cast as many SRs you can possibly manage, you need to keep in mind first that in killing the mob your main attack is SR, not heal. Heal is only used to keep you (and your party member) alive. The basic pattern is: bump, heal, SR, heal, and repeat. In general, you will always want your HP to be full before casting SR. After one SR, you will most likely get bumped / magicked (try to feel the knock back as opposed to looking for the purple number) so heal immediately after. In the case where the monster misses you or you knockback the monster so it doesn't damage you, feel free to cast SR again. Again, look for the (lack of) knock back. Casting SR in a mob will not risk you a death once you have the rhythm down. Practice this at 0% and eventually you will be able to kill mobs of undeads much faster than spamming heal. (credits to bronzemech of scania for somewhat teaching me how to do this in the first place)

Just some priest tricks I haven't seen posted anywhere else and I wanted to share with the lot of you.
- Bellocan
Kevynpy - 17x Bowmaster
Aubergines - 11x White Knight
Characid - 9x Battle Mage

Page/White Knight/Paladin Guide - terribly out of date
Everest - Guild Boss Hunting Event - Winner!

#15 greenstriker

greenstriker

Ninja-Mod

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2579 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:59 AM

Yep, nice info...all very true and relevent. I explained how the training worked, and I guess you explained how to actually do it, and useful tips. The recommendations were just estimates, I actually don't know what exact level goby's and squids are.

Thanks for correcting the patch stuff, I haven't been 9x in quite awhile (dispite my level now, I haven't played for a long time at 107)
Posted Image

#16 Winter Flower

Winter Flower

Professional

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2718 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE(kevin y @ May 4 2007, 02:26 AM)  
The basic pattern is: bump, heal, SR, heal, and repeat.

Does that mean bump-heal-SR-bump-heal-SR? I've been trying that for the longest time and can't seem to keep myself alive ._.

Edited by yespotatoes, 04 May 2007 - 10:44 PM.

#17 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:55 PM

you'll get bumped either during the heal or shortly after. you'll be invincible for long enough to finish the sr and heal again though.

kevin's advice is quite good, and i will incorporate it into the guide as soon as i get to editing, which should be later tonight. i've to read it all though =P

Posted Image

#18 kevin y

kevin y

Drake

• Official Member
  • 589 posts
  • IGN:kevinpyr

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE(yespotatoes @ May 4 2007, 09:51 PM)  
Does that mean bump-heal-SR-bump-heal-SR? I've been trying that for the longest time and can't seem to keep myself alive ._.

Oops my bad, This should be bump-heal-SR-heal (if bumped)-wait for bump-heal. Then repeat. I think the most important part is "wait for bump". The first time I tried this (at level 80) I was healing like crazy while jumping around after every SR. Because of this I often started the sequence too early or too late (i.e. casting SR right after getting bumped because you thought heal would register while it did not) which resulted in dying 10 times that level. Once I learnt to stay calm after every bump you get from the monsters it was pretty easy to nail down this technique.

Another very useful tip I might add is to hotkey HP pots (unagis, ice cream pops) that will heal you in one shot so that whenever you cast a false SR and you KNOW you're about to die you can jam that button and continue as normal (although immobile after casting a long spell like HS or SR you can still pot). This has saved my life countless times.

Oh yeah what Eric is saying is also true, even though you get bumped during the animation of SR, you WILL have enough invincible time to cast heal again before you get a 2nd bump.

The best way IMO to master this is to go experiment yourself at 0%. What I've written here are just guidelines to getting started. Play safe, try to not die while using SR intermittently, and once you are comfortable try to up the frequency.

Good to know that what I'm talking about makes sense and how this guide is coming along nicely. Nice work.. hehe
- Bellocan
Kevynpy - 17x Bowmaster
Aubergines - 11x White Knight
Characid - 9x Battle Mage

Page/White Knight/Paladin Guide - terribly out of date
Everest - Guild Boss Hunting Event - Winner!

#19 Winter Flower

Winter Flower

Professional

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2718 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:29 PM

Ah I'm doing exactly that. I'm so used to heal-spamming that I find it hard to wait for a bump, so my SR-to-heal ratio in mobs is still pretty low >_<

If I may add one tip, there's this technique I've been using since I started trying SR'ing at grims. I try to stay somewhere close to the edge of platforms (just far enough not get knocked off) while attacking. I find that this helps stack the grims at the very edge of the platform, which then allows me to teleport towards the middle of the platform and spam a few SR's in a row before they get around to bumping me.

The top of the map is the best spot to stack grims, because I can gather the mobs on both platforms at the touching edges, then tele to the middle of the right platform, luring the stacked mob away from the left edge of the platform. This opens a tiny spot at that edge, from where I can spam several SR's in row, hitting the stacked mobs on both platforms. When I do this, I try to avoid standing on the narrow lower platform and only use it as net to catch me in case I get knocked off.

Edited by yespotatoes, 05 May 2007 - 12:33 PM.

#20 Blade Oracle

Blade Oracle

Exemplar

• Official Member
  • 5963 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:12 PM

sorry guys, APs are time consuming eh? i'll come back to editing after monday, which is my last hard AP.
this will be the final table of contents, i.e., everything the guide will contain. not much different.
Table of Contents
I. Introduction
II. Getting Started
III. Monster List
IV. Monster and Map Guide
V. Training Suggestions
VI. Skill Book - Newest and probably last edition. this will be not a list of all the cleric and priest skills, as you should know those, but rather a list of suggestions on how to play a cleric and priest, and the different skills you should employ in using skills, potting, partying, etcetera. idea initiated my yespotatoes' post on sring techniques.
VII. Cleric FAQ
VIII. Conclusion

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users