[Mabinogi] 3ML Editor Tutorial

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gintama

Gintama

Nice to meet you

• Respected Member
  • 1859 posts
  • Location:Climbing in your windows, snatching your people up.
  • IGN:Gintamaki
  • Server:Bera

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

I'm just posting this here because it's a little more accessible than looking for it in a long thread.

3ML Editor: Tutorial
Milk&tea Media has a nice MML editor program that you can use alongside Mabinogi for composing music inside and outside the game. It's fairly easy to use, and even though I know nothing of music composition or MML's really, I can use this program with a bit of ease.

You can edit MML, you can compose your own music, and this program also allows you to edit MIDI ( 'Musical Instrumental Digital Interface') files as you please. Just don't go using them for commercial use. mush1k.gif

This tutorial will explain how to install and use the Editors basic functions.

Install the 3ML Editor

You can go to this site for the download: >3ML Editor Download<. Once there, most users will want to download the .EXE version. Once it's finished, run the installer and open the file.

Overview:

This is what the Editor looks like. You compose music by inputting text the Editor recognizes into the text box. Examples shown below:

CODE
Notes: A, B, C, D, E, F, G

After you have the basic notes down you can add more to them. (If you don't specify, all notes are played as quarter notes)

CODE
Beats: 1(full note), 2(Half note), 4(quarter note), 8(8th note), 16, 32, etc.
Sharp: +
Flat: -
Higher Octave: >
Lower octave: <
Tempo: t'x' (You can set the tempo for all notes or for separate notes. the 'x' is a variable.)

An example of the code used looks like this: t80 <a32 b+8 c
(That code tells you that the music played will be at 80 Tempo, lower octave. The first note played will be A at 32 beat rhythm, then B sharp at 8th beat rhythm, then a quarter note C will be played.)

There are many other elements of music playing not described, but those are the very basics at least.

How "Tracks" work:
You'll notice that the Editor opens with 3 tracks. Different tracks represent different parts of the music. If you want music to be able to play on top of each other, or you want different instruments to be playing, or a chord to be playing along with the melody; this is what tracks are for.
(For instance, in track 1 you could put "a b c d e f g", and then open track 2 and put "<a b c d e f g", and those lines of music would play at the same time just in different octavse.)

Editing:
If you have some MML, you can copy&paste the code into the text box and the Editor will read the code and display the music in box above it. You can edit any MML as you see fit by erasing, adding, shifting, combining, etc.

Importing MIDI's:

One of the more useful functions. If you can get music in .midi format, you can download the file to your computer and then import the music into the 3ML Editor using the directions described below:

1) In the Editor, click "file" and then select "Import MIDI".
2)Browse your computer for your MIDI file, select it and click "open".
3) An "Import Settings" menu box will open. From here you can just click OK unless you know what you are doing, but typically you won't need to do anything in this box.

After the MIDI will load the Editor will display all the code and tracks the MIDI is coded for. You can press Play button to listen to it, and you can also edit the file as well.

Editing MIDI's for Mabinogi Use:

I'm going to assume you already have gained the Music Composing skill in-game. Past Rank F, Mabinogi can play 3-part MML's. That means you can have a maximum of 3 Tracks. Most of the time, MIDI files you download will have more than 3 tracks, so you'll want to do some editing. I can't tell you exactly how, but I can give you some pointers.

The basic thing to keep in mind, is that you want the music in 3 tracks, and you want it to sound recognizable to the original. You don't need all the tracks to achieve this, so editing a MIDI will be eliminating Tracks of the music that aren't absolutely necessary.

1) First off, look at the first few Tracks. Many times, track 1 will contain Copyright Information or the music title, etc. You don't need this track so you can hit the "X" and delete it, or just ignore it. However, sometimes Track 1 will only contain the Tempo. If thats the case you can just add the Tempo information somewhere else and that will save you one track.

2) Look at the rest of the tracks. As a basic rule, you'll have to keep the tracks that code for the general melody. Other tracks will be usually used for the Bass/Drums, or vocal, and usually you don't need these parts.

3) It's useful to use the Mute Track option to determine whether or not the track is necessary. For instance if a MIDI has five tracks total, you can mute tracks 1 and 5 and only have tracks 2, 3, and 4 audible to see how it sounds. If it sounds good, you can delete tracks 1 and 5, and tada- you have a 3-part MML you can use in-game.

4) Sometimes you can just look which tracks code for the most recognizable part of the song and use those.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will add more later if I need too. mush1z.gif

Those fools are foolish enough to think he is me, but secretly unbeknownst to them, I am actually me!

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Eternal

Eternal

Mushmom

• Official Member
  • 738 posts
  • IGN:Eternith
  • Server:Broa

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:44 PM

This helps, Ty.

Right now, I'm in the slow process of editing a song with 15 tracks >_<.
<>

#3 iBev

iBev

I wear a fez now. Fezzes are cool.

• Official Member
  • 3217 posts
  • Server:Bera

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:59 PM

I'm sure this would probably help, but seriously. I never understood music. mush1j.gif

Edited by iBev, 29 February 2008 - 05:00 PM.

KC and I are taking over the world.

Posted Image

I<3UTICH

You can stalk me and my art on my deviantArt, my Tumblr and my Twitter.
Also my MSN. Which is on my profile. Get it yourself.

#4 MissHannah

MissHannah

Yes, there IS an Octopus.

• Official Member
  • 1465 posts
  • IGN:AFKeiko
  • Server:Windia

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:59 PM

Some more codes:

CODE
Ox - Sets the octave. X = Variable between 1-8
Lx - Sets default beat in a song. X = Beats
# - also Sharp

Tip: Try to "cheat" the code. Like say Chord 2 has only 17, but Chord 1 has 259, which is way over the limit for that line. You can cut and paste some text from Chord 1, to Chord 2. That way you can have a longer song.

Posted Image
Sig Archive <.<;
[*-*-*-*]

Wanna know a secret? Click the squiggly. ~
WTF I GOT 555 POSTS AT 8/15/06 AT 12:34 PM
1337 POST!
Thanks for the ScheAru sig flippy <3

#5 Eternal

Eternal

Mushmom

• Official Member
  • 738 posts
  • IGN:Eternith

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

How much is some and do you need to have an understanding of the code to paste it?
<>

#6 MissHannah

MissHannah

Yes, there IS an Octopus.

• Official Member
  • 1465 posts
  • IGN:AFKeiko

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:20 PM

Well some is just enough to even out the code limit. It may take some time to make it fit properly, but I tried it.

Posted Image
Sig Archive <.<;
[*-*-*-*]

Wanna know a secret? Click the squiggly. ~
WTF I GOT 555 POSTS AT 8/15/06 AT 12:34 PM
1337 POST!
Thanks for the ScheAru sig flippy <3

#7 hetkoele

hetkoele

oh my gawd...

• Official Member
  • 423 posts
  • IGN:hetkoele

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

Just wanted to pop in. Great tut you have. But its Whole Note not Full Note

#8 Preech

Preech

Tauromacis

• Official Member
  • 922 posts
  • IGN:Preech

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

i'm using the lower level sequencer from the same maker...much easier to handle and more simplified for beginners mush1z.gif
Priest since February 2nd, 2008
Former Jr. Master of MTD Windia
Quit Maple Story: March 4th, 2008
Currently playing: Team Fortress 2 , Left 4 Dead , Plants vs Zombies , Killing Floor
Greatest Game I've Played: Planescape: Torment

Currently running: Windows 7 Professional and Ubuntu 9.10

#9 Sygmus

Sygmus

Werewolf

• Official Member
  • 1026 posts
  • IGN:Bantie

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for this. MML is confusing to me, and I've been playing music for over ten years. If only they'd let you write music to make it look like a musical score.

Mixed messages!

#10 Lacrymosa

Lacrymosa

Snails

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • IGN:eric3mx
  • Server:Scania

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:12 PM

sorry to like bring this back up but...that website is down...can you post a new link to it?As for this version i like more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users