Methius

King Slime

• Official Member
  • 399 posts
  • IGN:Igel
  • Server:Bera

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:05 PM

What is lag?
Essentially, lag is a delay in the transmission of data from one point to another (be it from your computer to the Maplestory server or within the computer itself) produced by excessive computing or some external factor. <!- link removed [61] ->, lag makes the game irresponsive, and most of the time difficult and uncomfortable to play. This guide shows some tips with which you can try to avoid lag, which is especially important past a certain point of the game.

While most of these tips are verified (a.k.a. I know what I'm writing about), there is always the possibility of them being incorrect. Please bear that in mind.

Computer Lag
Computer lag is lag that happens regardless of the state of your connection to the game. The effect of this type of lag is jagged gameplay (frozen screen & refreshing at very long intervals), and general inability to play properly. In severe cases it may cause death, as it prevents the player from reaching safe places or healing, and instead showing a frozen screen with sound coming out also at intervals, all at a time.

The main cause of this is lack of processing power. If your computer is old, or it has a processor with low capacity or not enough RAM memory, it is likely that you'll experience this in crowded areas. These are the tips for computer lag:

-Reduce graphics quality
In the menu, go to System options and set Picture quality to a minimum. This will lessen the amount of processing needed for rendering backgrounds, and may lessen up the load on the processor a little bit.

-Turn off media & other options
You may as well turn off music, sound, eliminate HP & MP alerts, and uncheck the options that makes some skills shake up your screen. This is unverified, as it all depends on how Maplestory itself has been programmed, but if it has been done properly, it may help reduce lag as well. However, this will only be by a marginal amount and in specific situations (like the screen-shaking option).

-Close other programs
As this lag is merely workload on your computer processor, it is advisable to close every other program, specially ones that consume a lot of RAM memory. Also, check for processes running in the background using the task manager. This is probably what will ease up Maplestory the most, as it directly affects the resources (computing power, RAM) lent to the game by the operating system.

-Cool your computer
Your machine must be kept fresh all the time if you experience severe lag. If you have left it all night downloading something, or if you've been working with memory-heavy programs for a while and then want to play, turn it off and let it cool down for at least 5 minutes. It's very important to keep your computer in a place where it can breathe, since heat slows down processing by a lot.

-Buffer graphics
This coud be a lifesaver if your computer is not very powerful. In crowded areas, or especially Zakum, it is wise to cast your skills before starting the battle. Once you do so, you will notice that casting them again and again causes slightly less lag than the first time. Because of the way computers work, the graphics loaded for the skill are buffered, and put on a high-speed memory area known as the cache. Doing this will prevent initial lag spikes, and thus dying due to everyone spamming their skills at the same time and lagging by loading too much data at a time.

-Avoid crowds
As there are more objects on screen that the computer has to keep track of, there wil be more lag. As a result, it is best to avoid crowded areas that might overload your machine, such as Henesys Hunting Ground 1, or trying to herd monsters in order to mob them.

Connection Lag
As opposed to computer lag, connection lag has not much to do with your computer. Instead, it depends on the connection you have, and the actual state of the server. There are also many factors that can affect it, such as your location worldwide, the weather, and the type of connection you have. Following are tips for reducing connection lag:

-Avoid disconnection-prone connections
Namely, Wi-Fi. Generally, cable technology is considered much more efficient than wireless connections, for the sole reason that the signal can be lost for a moment, resulting in lag and subsequently death. This applies specially if you are connected indoors, and don't have a constant optimal feed of signals from the router.

-Avoid crowds
This applies in a similar way as in computer lag. In this case your computer and the server both have to keep track of many objects at once, and thus increasing the amount of data transferred. As a result, it's best to reduce the amount of objects, be it players or monsters, by avoiding them (or killing them). You may as well put away your pet, and avoid using summoned creatures if they are not needed.

-Relog
This may be specific to certain connections, but relogging has a chance of getting rid of lag altogether. After being AFK for a while, or surfing the web while Maplestory is open, you may experience connection lag. In this case, relogging will renew your connection with the server (especially closing the program altogether), and it may provide you with more bandwidth than before.

-Close connection-heavy programs
While playing, it is very likely that you will lag if you have programs like eMule or bittorrent open. Since these programs hoard the entire bandwidth of your connection, they leave little to no room for Maplestory to interact properly with the server. Thus, it is wise to keep these type of applications closed while playing. Chatting programs, self-refreshing webpages and downloads are included too, as they also constantly send and receive data.

-Check your timezone
This is an irremediable problem, but good to check to see if there is something else that may be lagging your connection. Essentially, this refers to the distance from where you play, to the actual location of the Maplestory servers worldwide. Since data doesn't travel instantly, the farther you are, the more hops data has to do through the web to reach Nexon and viceversa. For this, I do not have a solution since I lack the knowledge on networking to optimize such a connection. Still, it is worth noting that it could be possible to do so by using proxy servers, but I'll leave that to anyone more knowledgeable on the subject that wishes to contribute.

-Lookout for spyware
Spyware collects information about you and sends it somewhere in the internet. Thus it also consumes bandwidth, and may cause you to lag. Therefore, it is wise to run adware / spyware checks periodically, so that you make sure your computer is clean and uses all of its available bandwidth.

Upgrade your connection
If you have the means to do so, of course. If your connection is too slow, or you are too far away from the servers, then increasing your connection speed via your ISP may be an option. From a personal point of view, I consider it a waste of money given that it's only to play a game, but nonetheless a viable option for reducing lag. So if you see that it may be helpful to you in some other aspects like surfing, dowloading, etc... feel free to do so.

Final words
As mentioned before, some of these tips are based purely on assumption, but not necessarily baseless. I hope these tips help you fight your way against lag, as this is a problem most (if not all) Maplers go through every now and then. If you see something important that I have forgotten, PM me with it and I'll add it to the guide right away.

This guide was written by Methius / Omegastar of MapleTip / Sleepywood forums, 2007
Modification of this guide is forbidden without explicit permission from the author.
Should this guid be posted somewhere, the autor must be credited along with it.

Edited by Omegastar, 07 August 2007 - 12:21 PM.

Please support our sponsors and mapletip. Don't block ads if you want mapletip to survive! If you do not want to have ads, simply Subscribe to mapletip today!

#2 Mantagonist

Mantagonist

Lupang, mang.

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2509 posts
  • IGN:_
  • Server:-None-

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:11 PM

Wow! I can tell this is gonna be an extremely useful guide to me.

I have computer lag frequently. mush1j.gif

#3 Rai

Rai

Send a happy tune ♥

• Respected Member
  • 1680 posts
  • IGN:Highfly666
  • Server:Broa

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:32 PM

Same, I'm Mapling on an Inspiron 4100. I don't think it's for gaming, xD...

There are a few problems with mine; I'd like to see if you can help?

When I start up MapleStory, it always closes down the first time. It'll go into the black screen, then take me back to my desktop. The second time I try clicking the Maple Icon, it works, and takes me to the front page of MapleStory. Then, when I log in, it always says 'unable to connect to the server' after a semi-long while. After that, I log in, and I'm free to play mush1a.gif.

So, that's my 1st problem. Simply starting up MapleStory takes a while...

2nd, I'm ALWAYS lagging. When I first log in, it's always rather fresh, and the lag is short, only small zips that take less than half a second. But around 1hour-2hour I really begin to lag. Only between the 'just started playing' mark and the 1hour mark can I even try to go into a channel 1 Party Questing spot or Free Market.

Once again, I'm on a 2003-ish laptop, it runs on XP. My internet is very fast (although I've had some problems recently) it's great. I know this is my computer's problem, it takes about 10 minutes just to log on properly, and I can only play in times of about 1hour-3hours at a time. After that, I reboot, take another 10 minutes to start up the game(sometimes more) and then I play again happily.

I'm alright with this, I have patience, but if I could fix this, I'd be happy. My brother's going off to college at the end of this month and I'll be able to use his nice, fast computer (he bought a laptop)...

But until then, anything I can do to fix it? I don't mean in Maple, I mean like playing around in my computer...

I play with highest graphic, I'm the kind of person who needs it, umm...
I play with HP warning, I need it, xD. No MP warning, and I have screen-shaking on...

:S. I never play with music or other programs on, and I reboot every time my computer gets tired.
We can breathe in space , they just don't want us to escape.

#4 Annu

Annu

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • IGN:Annually

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:35 PM

Thank you for this, I'm gonna need this.
However, it's only my internet that's laggy, and i can't change that.

#5 Methius

Methius

King Slime

• Official Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:50 PM

Same, I'm Mapling on an Inspiron 4100. I don't think it's for gaming, xD..

Do a test for me, please:
if you use your computer for about 30 mins or so, then you put in in your lap, and it burns your skin, there you have it mush1k.gif

No, seriously. My last laptop was an Inspiron 5100, and it sucked for gaming. It overheated terribly fast, battery life wouldn't last, and in general it lacked computing power to play properly. Heh, I even lagged at HHG1 like it was Zakum.
Also, there was an apparent problem with the broadband adapter, that somehow stopped working and gave me connection problems...

In few words, I don't think there is an inmediate solution to it, much less cheap. Since you lack processing power, you would need that, a better processor and more RAM... but that's costly and not worth it for an Inspiron.
The best thing you could do would be to acquire an at least decent, modern laptop; the Inspiron series have shown me a lot these years mush1f.gif

#6 Stephen

Stephen

Brrr!

• MapleTip Webmaster
  • 12220 posts
  • IGN:AimingHigh
  • Server:Windia

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE(Omegastar @ Aug 6 2007, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you use your computer for about 30 mins or so, then you put in in your lap, and it burns your skin, there you have it mush1k.gif

No, seriously. My last laptop was an Inspiron 5100, and it sucked for gaming. It overheated terribly fast, battery life wouldn't last, and in general it lacked computing power to play properly. Heh, I even lagged at HHG1 like it was Zakum.
Also, there was an apparent problem with the broadband adapter, that somehow stopped working and gave me connection problems...

In few words, I don't think there is an inmediate solution to it, much less cheap. Since you lack processing power, you would need that, a better processor and more RAM... but that's costly and not worth it for an Inspiron.
The best thing you could do would be to acquire an at least decent, modern laptop; the Inspiron series have shown me a lot these years mush1f.gif

I have an inspirion 1501 as a laptop. It performs fairly well on MapleStory, I can play but it's a little choppy.

Since it's an Intel Duo Core at 2.1GHz, it is not the processor that's lacking power. Rather, it's either the GPU or the lack of RAM. I will find out by looking at the FPS, it should be above 30 at all times in order for a good feel, but the higher, the more smoother.

So guess what? MapleTip will be going through an overhaul this summer! Details coming soon..

#7 xSin

xSin

Lycanthrope

• Official Member
  • 1415 posts
  • IGN:xSin
  • Server:Scania

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE(Omegastar @ Aug 6 2007, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-Cool your computer
Your machine must be kept fresh all the time if you experience severe lag. If you have left it all night downloading something, or if you've been working with memory-heavy programs for a while and then want to play, turn it off and let it cool down for at least 5 minutes. It's very important to keep your computer in a place where it can breathe, since heat slows down processing by a lot.

Haven't turned off my computer for around 7 months now. Still not lagging at all. o_O

#8 Stephen

Stephen

Brrr!

• MapleTip Webmaster
  • 12220 posts
  • IGN:AimingHigh

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE(xSin @ Aug 6 2007, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-Cool your computer

Haven't turned off my computer for around 7 months now. Still not lagging at all. o_O

Well, it's true that heat does play a role in lag. Heat reduces processing time, however I probably guess that your computer is pretty good itself as it's probably considered "fast".

It'll be faster if you cleared out all the dust inside and wiped it out. Use compressed air to blow the dust out.

Dust causes heat.

So guess what? MapleTip will be going through an overhaul this summer! Details coming soon..

#9 Methius

Methius

King Slime

• Official Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE(xSin @ Aug 6 2007, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-Cool your computer

What Life said. Also, if yours is a desktop odds are you're much better off, since laptops over heat more. Regardless, if you have a powerful set of fans installed on it they ought to keep it at a good temperature.

My inspiron used to shut down by itself when temperature passed a certain point... it left the desk literally burning o_o

Edited by Omegastar, 06 August 2007 - 10:32 PM.

#10 FableKid1

FableKid1

Wraith

• Official Member
  • 504 posts
  • IGN:RamzaReborn
  • Server:Khaini

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:30 AM

This guide is gonna help me out so freaking much. I've already started to use a lot of your methods such as cooling the computer and i'm starting to get a better spyware blocker on this computer. Hopefully after i uninstall a lot of useless programs on this piece of junk i should have a better mapling career.

#11 okiyama

okiyama

Iron Hog

• Official Member
  • 496 posts
  • IGN:Why do you care?

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:17 AM

Another way to reduce lag!

Go into task manager(sorry mac users) and goto the processes tab. Sort it by "mem usage" that will tell you exactly what is using a lot of space. clear out anything you don't need or want. One of the processes I like to close is called "Explorer" basically it is your desktop. Close it when you're on your desktop and everything will go black. So make sure MS is started up when you do this. To restart your desktop, just restart your computer.
Come check out my guide to glitches Here
All my videos in one nice little page on youtube here

Made by me, if you make a better version send me the link via PM.

Scania
Eaei --- Level 77 Chief Bandit 75%
Please Add me, I am lonely. :(

Hi, If you want you can...
Build My City
Level my Angel Chao (Adopted on Christmas 2007)
Have your Brain Eaten

#12 Mantagonist

Mantagonist

Lupang, mang.

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 2509 posts
  • IGN:_

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(okiyama @ Aug 11 2007, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another way to reduce lag!

Go into task manager(sorry mac users) and goto the processes tab. Sort it by "mem usage" that will tell you exactly what is using a lot of space. clear out anything you don't need or want. One of the processes I like to close is called "Explorer" basically it is your desktop. Close it when you're on your desktop and everything will go black. So make sure MS is started up when you do this. To restart your desktop, just restart your computer.

Actually, that's the method I use. I never play MS with explorer unterminated.

To get your Desktop back, simply go back to Task Manager and press New Process. Type "Explorer" in and click okay or enter, and your Desktop is back.

#13 Rai

Rai

Send a happy tune ♥

• Respected Member
  • 1680 posts
  • IGN:Highfly666

Posted 11 August 2007 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(Omegastar @ Aug 6 2007, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, okay. Yeah, I know what you're saying :S. It overheats insanely fast, and my play span is about 2 hours before it overheats and starts lagging me mush1d.gif. It's okay though, brother leaving in a week, so I'll be Mapling on the computer in no time mush1n.gif.
We can breathe in space, they just don't want us to escape.

#14 FlacoFlare

FlacoFlare

Ribbon Pig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • IGN:RoseOfIce

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:48 PM

Wow how do you know this much about lags? did u have constant experience and fixed it?
Now do we Really need a signature?

#15 CandyTea

CandyTea

Jr. Necki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • IGN:TeaMag3
  • Server:Scania

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:05 PM

My laptop lags a lot. It overheats after at least an hour and it takes like 2 hours to cool off. But can anyone tell me what kind of material I should put my laptop on?
There is 1 GB of me in your computer. :D

#16 Tara

Tara

I finally have a dog! Her name's Kiki. :3

• Official Member
  • 1495 posts
  • IGN:LonerBlade

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:53 PM

I keep a fan on behind my hardrive thing, (w/e you call the box that turns the computer on and can put disks/cds in) when I turn my computer on, keeping it nice and cool. mush1n.gif

Click the dragons. They'll pet your hair and tell you that you're pretty. =)

#17 DanyBob

DanyBob

Dany

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3276 posts
  • IGN:DotComDude

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(Tara @ Aug 21 2007, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I keep a fan on behind my hardrive thing, (w/e you call the box that turns the computer on and can put disks/cds in) when I turn my computer on, keeping it nice and cool. mush1n.gif

The box that turns it on and you put CD's in is the computer 0.o

If you have a NVIDIA Graphics Driver, you can set it to performance instead of quality. It just about tripled my fps, and i didn't notice any lack in quality. (Because maple is 2d)
hi

#18 Methius

Methius

King Slime

• Official Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(FlacoFlare @ Aug 21 2007, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow how do you know this much about lags? did u have constant experience and fixed it?

I'm a computer science student, so I get an idea of what makes a program/computer fast or slow. I also have some networking courses, so I learn a lot about connections as well.

QUOTE(CandyTea @ Aug 21 2007, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My laptop lags a lot. It overheats after at least an hour and it takes like 2 hours to cool off. But can anyone tell me what kind of material I should put my laptop on?

There are cooling stands made for laptops, so you can try getting one. They're like a small plattform where you can put your laptop on, except they're covered with fans that keep it cool for the underside. I hear they're pretty effective.

#19 Doomzor

Doomzor

{Sup4hl337kill4h}

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • IGN:Supahleet

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:52 AM

QUOTE(xDany @ Aug 21 2007, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Tara @ Aug 21 2007, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The box that turns it on and you put CD's in is the computer 0.o

If you have a NVIDIA Graphics Driver, you can set it to performance instead of quality. It just about tripled my fps, and i didn't notice any lack in quality. (Because maple is 2d)

How would you go about doing this?

#20 DanyBob

DanyBob

Dany

• Mapletip Veterans
  • 3276 posts
  • IGN:DotComDude

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

Right click on your desktop>NVIDIA Control Panel>3d settings>'Adjust image settings with preveiw'>Then drag the little thing to 'performance'>'Apply'

And your done. That's for a NVIDIA Graphics card, I don't know how you'd do other ones.
hi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users